PDA

View Full Version : Any other Rules or Regs other than in Smokys

jcramin
08-18-2009, 09:46
I am trying to get a week long backpacking trip together for our Scout Troop. I know The Great Smoky Mountain National Park has many rules and regs that will make it hard for a large groups of Scouts to backpack.

So are there any rules I need to know about for a large group to backpack and camp in tents on the southern end of the AT below GSMNP. I know we may have to break up into smaller groups since we may have 20 or 25 people total.

Thanks,
J

Blissful
08-18-2009, 09:49
Agree - breaking into smaller groups will make it more enjoyable too besides lessening the impact. Maybe have one intro backpacking group and one rabbit group with more advanced skills.

Glad you have so many interested. We can barely get four to go.

ShoelessWanderer
08-18-2009, 09:59
Every time I've done a scout backpacking trip (whether gals or guys) we break up into 2 groups. One for the older more experienced scouts and one for the younger beginner scouts. The younger beginner scouts can do an easier route, while the older ones get to experience something a lot more fun/difficult. Sometimes we'll plan it to where we both end up at the same spot at night, so we all camp together. Other times not, just depends on the location/camping.

Breaking it up is so much easier on everyone involved! The younger kids aren't pressured from the older ones, the older ones aren't bored because they are doing a beginner trail, and the scout leaders are happier cause they ultimatly have fewer kids to keep up with.

ShoelessWanderer
08-18-2009, 10:03
Glad you have so many interested. We can barely get four to go.

What part of VA are you in? I grew up outside of Blacksburg...I know we could hardly ever get anyone to go either...

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v311/148/51/527624304/s527624304_1309804_8822.jpg

That's me on a council-wide backpacking trip (our council was the Virginia Skyline council which is about 85% of VA). If you notice it's me and the two organizers. Happened on many of our backpacking trips, however, it was a great learning experience though to learn from 2 very experienced ladies who loved backpacking.

The Weasel
08-18-2009, 10:28
Scout groups should:

1) Hike in groups of no more than 10 (8 Scouts, 2 adults), no fewer than 5.
2) Camp in separate groups at dispersed campsites at least several hundred yards apart
3) Break into ability groups (not just ages, but abilities)

If you have 25 Scouts, you should hike in 3 groups.

These are principles generally taught in Scout Roundtables.

TW

max patch
08-18-2009, 10:39
The only rule I can think of is the ban on campfires in the Blood Mountain Wilderness area which I "think" is Jarrard Gap (might be Woody) to Neels Gap. Double check this if this is an area you are considering.

Rain Man
08-18-2009, 12:09
I'll just say "Thank You and Bless You" for even asking. I have run into great BS groups on the AT and bad BS groups on the AT. I assume the difference is the "Leaders" (so-called, some times) and not the boys. For some reason, too many think being in the Boy Scouts puts them above the law and lesser mortals. So, again, bless you!

Rain:sunMan

Blissful
08-18-2009, 14:52
What part of VA are you in? I grew up outside of Blacksburg...I know we could hardly ever get anyone to go either...

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v311/148/51/527624304/s527624304_1309804_8822.jpg

That's me on a council-wide backpacking trip (our council was the Virginia Skyline council which is about 85% of VA). If you notice it's me and the two organizers. Happened on many of our backpacking trips, however, it was a great learning experience though to learn from 2 very experienced ladies who loved backpacking.

My hubby is Scoutmaster of a very small and shrinking troop here in Greene County. We are hoping to get more boys soon out of Webelos but they can't come quick enough. We have to wait another year. :)

jcramin
08-18-2009, 15:12
I'll just say "Thank You and Bless You" for even asking. I have run into great BS groups on the AT and bad BS groups on the AT. I assume the difference is the "Leaders" (so-called, some times) and not the boys. For some reason, too many think being in the Boy Scouts puts them above the law and lesser mortals. So, again, bless you!

Rain:sunMan

Well I have a LONG Scouting career, I made Eagle almost 30 years ago back when all scouts and leaders respected others and the land. It seems many scouts and leaders now a days have forgotten what Scouting is about and what it is supposed to teach. Our troop has two adult leaders that are Eagle Scouts and have more than 30 years experience each, one being me. BUT, we also have a Scout Master and Committee Chairman who only have a few years experience each, and we are constantly butting heads with them because they don't have the knowledge of what scouting is supposed to be.

J

Digger'02
08-18-2009, 15:52
I am glad you are researching before you hike. I am sorry to say that Scout Troops commonly exhibit some problem behavior. As you probably know by now, the most strict set of rules south of the Park is in the Southern Nantahala wilderness. A great web resource is: http://www.wilderness.net/index.cfm?fuse=NWPS&sec=wildView&WID=571

have a good time out there!

Trailweaver
08-18-2009, 18:56
I would also like to say thanks for asking, and thanks again for breaking into a smaller group than 25. Like someone else said, breaking into at least three groups would be better.

One thing that other campers will appreciate. . . a night time curfew? Thankfully, the last group of scouts I camped with had a curfew and all was blissfully quiet by 10:00 or maybe earlier. I was particularly tired that day, and had dreaded trying to go to sleep with a troop of scouts. It turned out not to be an issue. And - the next morning when they left, they hiked past my tent very quietly, which again I appreciated. They also did some cleaning up of the shelter area before they left.

That group actually changed my opinion of scouts in general, just because they were so nice and respectful of others.

Tuckahoe
08-18-2009, 19:05
My first and fondest memories back packing the AT as a boyscout.

Shoeless, what part of Chesapeake are you in? I grew up in Great Bridge and was a member of troop 55.

ShoelessWanderer
08-19-2009, 16:41
My first and fondest memories back packing the AT as a boyscout.

Shoeless, what part of Chesapeake are you in? I grew up in Great Bridge and was a member of troop 55.

I actually grew up near Blacksburg...a very very small town called Riner. I currently live in the Norfolk Highlands area of Chesapeake.