PDA

View Full Version : section hike advice

emeggke
08-18-2009, 09:52
My husband and I are planning to do our first section hike in 2010. We are looking for a 3-5 day fairly easy section somewhere in DC, Maryland or PA. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks!!
Meg

fredmugs
08-18-2009, 11:02
It doesn't get any easier than Shenandoah National Park. I would travel a little further south and hike there.

Stay away from PA.

sly dog
08-18-2009, 12:36
I would say MD is a lot easier than the SNP. You could cover the whole state in that time frame. A lotta people say the SNP is the easiest section of trail but I would say it has steeper up's than MD. What makes the shennies easy is the fact that ya dont need to carry much food so pack is light.

Blissful
08-18-2009, 14:49
There's still some good rocky sections in MD. I fell on them. SNP is a good place for a shakedown and places to eat, sleep and shower if you need to get off. Good graded trail. Some ups, but that's hiking!

B Thrash
08-18-2009, 19:57
I would say MD is a lot easier than the SNP. You could cover the whole state in that time frame. A lotta people say the SNP is the easiest section of trail but I would say it has steeper up's than MD. What makes the shennies easy is the fact that ya dont need to carry much food so pack is light.

I agree, start on Hwy 30 @ Caledonia SP Pa. cross MD on South Mtn. finish @ Harpers Ferry, WV. Super great hike.

LIhikers
08-18-2009, 20:28
My wife and I are a section hiking couple too.
Like some others, I'm going to recommend you hike the AT across the State of Maryland, start at Pen Mar park and hike southbound to Harper's Ferry. Take your time, have some fun, and enjoy yourselves. Do that and you'll find yourself coming back to the AT time and again. That's what happened to my wife Kathy and me.

emeggke
08-18-2009, 20:56
Thanks for the input. We will get the info on that area and look it over! We were just in the GSMNP last week with the family and went to Clingmans Dome and Newfound Gap and walked just a little bit of the trail. It felt like I was home! We plan to thru hike in 2016 when our youngest graduates high school. Till then we'll section hike as often as we can!
Thanks again!
Meg

Kerosene
08-19-2009, 09:26
In the D.C. area, you might also consider the 53 miles from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry.

A nice 3-4 day section hike down south would be Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap, or you could try Davenport Gap to Hot Springs.

sly dog
08-19-2009, 09:33
In the D.C. area, you might also consider the 53 miles from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry.

That section has not much to offer unless you like PUD's. The only enjoyable area was blackburn center and bears den. I only recall one or two views also.

Kerosene
08-19-2009, 11:22
That section has not much to offer unless you like PUD's. The only enjoyable area was blackburn center and bears den. I only recall one or two views also.It was an easy section, especially in the southern part, with a nice view from Crescent Rock also. People make The Rollercoaster out to be a lot worse than it proved to be.

Frankly, the views from Front Royal to DWG are pretty sparse.

emeggke
08-19-2009, 19:55
What are PUD's? One of the reason we are looking at this area is we have relatives to drop us off and pick us up. We were camping with family and loved the Newfound Gap area, but have no support in that area, yet the little bit we walked on it will always be remembered as my first steps on the AT!

Blissful
08-19-2009, 20:19
What are PUD's? One of the reason we are looking at this area is we have relatives to drop us off and pick us up. We were camping with family and loved the Newfound Gap area, but have no support in that area, yet the little bit we walked on it will always be remembered as my first steps on the AT!

PUDS - pointless ups and downs. They are referring to what's known as the rollercoaster section in northern VA, which includes quite a few ups and downs. But this is also a nice section to do in October with the leaves.

Cookerhiker
08-20-2009, 16:53
I agree, start on Hwy 30 @ Caledonia SP Pa. cross MD on South Mtn. finish @ Harpers Ferry, WV. Super great hike.

I second this recommendation. If you can time it, camp your last night atop Weverton Cliffs and enjoy looking down on the Potomac at both sunset and sunrise.