PDA

View Full Version : Feedback needed for an Idea

Ron Haven
08-18-2009, 15:51
Adam Milt is the new owner of Hiawassee Inn of Hiawassee,Georgia.With the loss of Cloud 9 and the old owners of Hiawassee Inn gone it was less services for hikers.I have talked to Adam about having a hiker friendly system such as I have for Budget Inn of Franklin.

He has stated that hiker rates will be the same as ours and will be running a shuttle at 8:30 and 10:30 each morning to Dicks Creek and Unicoi during March & April.Will work slack packs,accepts mail drops and has an area for up to 20 tenters with a shower and rest room facilities too.

He will do pick ups from Dicks Creek and Unicoi now if he is called at (706)896-4121 He is going to be helping with shuttles all in the area. For info call same number.

If you feel this would be great for Hikers let him know here.:sun

Pacific Tortuga
08-18-2009, 16:32
Ron, thank you for the foot in the door for hikers. Adam, thank you for taking the time to help us out. The service's you generuosly make avaialable for all is priceless.
The strong network of offering a safe haven (no pun) is a comfort for tired, sick, injured, happy, ect. ect. trekkers of all ages.
You all help enhance our Trail experience, I only hope we show the respect you all deserve.

Side Bar : I have always believed that you Ron, Bob Peoples and Miss Janet should do the voices of a Trail book on tape. Classic people and unique verbal tones.

Lyle
08-18-2009, 16:35
This sounds great. I stayed at the Hiawassee Inn in May of '08 and GREATLY appreciated the shuttle, laundry, dinner runs, etc. Hopefully hikers will continue to reward the new owners for their continued support.

Thanks Adam, and thanks Ron.

bigmac_in
08-18-2009, 17:24
What happened to the previous owners of Hiawassee Inn? Did they finally get tired of all us needy hikers?

Hiawassee is perfect for a set-up like yours Ron.

Rocket Jones
08-18-2009, 17:49
Excellent news. Ron and Adam, thank you.

l0ngterm
08-18-2009, 18:20
Ron - Adam has some "BIG" shoes to fill if he is going to model his services after your personal efforts to make our lives easier and rescue us when we've had a bad day. Thank you for caring so much and for finding others willing to care as well.

Adam - welcome aboard. I'm sure I'll be meeting you over the next couple of years. Springer to Fontana are my normal stomping grounds until I get the time off to Thru Hike. Good Luck on the new gig and hopefully you will find it as personally fulfilling as Ron seems to.

Regards,

l0ngterm (Hopefully - 2012 or 2013 Thru Hiker)
"Perpetual GA/NC section hiker"

Trailweaver
08-18-2009, 18:33
Thanks a lot. It helps to know several shuttle services and hostels in the area. I've put you in my AT guidebook.

Jeff
08-18-2009, 18:50
Thanks a lot. It helps to know several shuttle services and hostels in the area. I've put you in my AT guidebook.

Good point!! Make sure all 3 guidebooks are aware of these new services.

Many wet, cold and weary hikers will love this new option!!!

Ron Haven
08-18-2009, 21:08
What happened to the previous owners of Hiawassee Inn? Did they finally get tired of all us needy hikers?

Hiawassee is perfect for a set-up like yours Ron.I'm not sure but I think they were at the end of a lease or something.

Good point!! Make sure all 3 guidebooks are aware of these new services.

Many wet, cold and weary hikers will love this new option!!!Thanks friends for your feed back and maybe more will come for him.I am excited to see someone with this idea too.I talked to him about what hikers need including kindness too!We discussed free scheduled shuttles and he stated he would help hikers back and forth to the trail heads.That I was glad to hear him say.I assured him I would help him any way I could.

I have already talked to Pilgrim to get the info in the companion.I will also contact Bob 501 and David Miller.

Adam seems to be a good christian stand up guy who is a war veteran and has done A T hiking in the Ga area.I am always glad to hear of people who support hikers in their areas.

Cool AT Breeze
08-18-2009, 21:16
I've met Adam. He seems like a good guy. I hope we as hikers show him we are good people too. He has plans to offer things that the last owners did not.

dreamsoftrails
08-18-2009, 21:17
it would be amazing if such a service were available there. i would pay a modest fee for a pick up as well outside of those hours in march and april

Ron Haven
08-18-2009, 21:24
it would be amazing if such a service were available there. i would pay a modest fee for a pick up as well outside of those hours in march and aprilHe stated to me that he would devote the time and what it took to give the hikers great services.I told him up front,It is a big task to do it right.

I've met Adam. He seems like a good guy. I hope we as hikers show him we are good people too. He has plans to offer things that the last owners did not.Cool Breeze if he does what he said I believe we will all be proud of him.I told him this too.

Blissful
08-19-2009, 13:34
Wow good news thanks.

Big Oz
08-19-2009, 14:21
If all trail towns had a service like this would be good.I like Hiawassee too.

Jeff
08-19-2009, 14:42
It is important for Adam to charge a fair price. If he does not make a profit the services won't be there in future years.

Red Hat
08-19-2009, 17:40
I am excited that Adam is wanting to keep the hiker services at the Hiawassee Inn. I was Ron and Sam's first customer back in 2004. Sorry to see them go. I am looking forward t meeting Adam.

Ron Haven
08-19-2009, 22:28
It is important for Adam to charge a fair price. If he does not make a profit the services won't be there in future years.Jeff that is good advise.As a motel owner I have always felt like a fair price makes everyone come out a winner.

MikenSalem
08-19-2009, 23:35
Awesome and thanks to you both.

RedneckRye
08-20-2009, 00:03
Hey Ron...
Not counting the earliest "I want to be FIRST!!!" January1 folks and the latest college folks that can't start until school is done, what is the "normal" hiker season?
During this time period how much of your business is hikers?
Thru the rest of the year, who is the "average" person that spends the night in Franklin?
Just wondering.
Thanks for all you do.
RYE

Ron Haven
08-20-2009, 22:19
Hey Ron...
Not counting the earliest "I want to be FIRST!!!" January1 folks and the latest college folks that can't start until school is done, what is the "normal" hiker season?
During this time period how much of your business is hikers?
Thru the rest of the year, who is the "average" person that spends the night in Franklin?
Just wondering.
Thanks for all you do.
RYERye you and all the hikers are welcome.I really enjoy my relationship with the trail and hikers.

In your question of others who stay in Franklin.GreatMountainMusic.Com (http://greatmountainmusic.com/) is a big tourist drawer to the area in this new preforming arts theater.The gemstone mines (http://www.franklin-chamber.com/visitorInformation/gemMining.asp)draw tourist from around the world.We have many other attractions and festivals too.

As far as hikers we have the thru hikers during March & April but they are hikers in our area about 10 months out of the year.I would guess that hikers are about 20% of my business.

The Weasel
08-20-2009, 23:01
Someone think of some way that we can help Ron (and now Adam) do even better. They think of us without being asked, and that is a very welcome, and kind, thing. They will, I hope, do well by doing good. Let's find ways to help that happen.

TW

Ron Haven
08-25-2009, 15:54
Here is a picture of Hiawassee Inn (http://appalachiantrailservices.com/index.php?env=-inlink/detail:m258-1-1-1-s:l-507-29-1-)

SawnieRobertson
08-25-2009, 20:46
That is great news for those of us who are planning right now.--Kinnickinic