PDA

View Full Version : Mail Drops

Crispy
07-21-2004, 19:33
Are there any places along the where it is wiser to d omail drops rather than buy food from stores? Also what kind of things besides new gear goes into a mail drop?

Youngblood
07-21-2004, 20:26
Crispy,

You might try using the SEARCH button on the top of the page, some of your questions have been discussed before. Also, the INFORMATION button has some info that you are interested in. (Not trying to discourage questions, but this might speed up your information search.)

Youngblood

Pencil Pusher
07-21-2004, 22:55
Don't let the hoser American's give you any flack, eh. It sounds like there's not really a need for mail drops, unless you're on a strict diet or need medication. Some people do use a bounce box, which is a box you keep sending ahead of yourself while on the trail. Maybe you'd have an electric razor in there to shave your head, or medication, or maybe batteries. Others would have better advice on the contents of a bounce box, I'm just guessing.As for a stove, check out these pepsi can stoves these folks swear by. You can either make one for free or trust in the workmanship of a guy that's made tons of them: http://www.antigravitygear.com for $12. You'll laugh when you get the thing, but it sounds like fuel is much more readily available for this stove versus a cannister, and the stove with fuel is lighter than sin.
Feel free to post other questions, there's tons of folks here that are more than happy to answer.

smokymtnsteve
07-21-2004, 23:22
Starting at springer

my mail drops

mtn crossings at neels gap (right on trail)

blueberry patch dicks creek gap (very easy hitch and ride to and from trail)

Rainbow springs Campground

Nantahala Outdoor Center

Fontana Dam ,nc (thier is a one dollar shuttle into village and PO)

Happy hiker gatlinburg (easy hitch)

Standing bear farm (right on trail)

Hot springs (you can buy food here but PO is right on trail also)

Erwin, TN (uncle Johhny's is the nearest place to the trail to send a mail drop to erwin area...he is right on the trail..most folks like to go into town and po or Miss janets...it about 3.5 miles into town miss janets is in walking distance of everything in town including the PO.)

Greasy Creek GAP Friendly (hostel) little over a mile walk off the trail ,,, and back up to the trail by walking up and down a side trail roadbed...)

Kincora ( absolute MUST)

Damascus

Pencil Pusher
07-21-2004, 23:36
There should be a disclaimer for this SMS clown, he's on a wacky diet and prefers particular things. I think he'd go hungry if he ran out of food and came across McD's with money in his pocket. No offense, Steve, your food does look good and scrumptious and you sure do get the women excited with all your recipes and preferences. But for the Canuck, that's why there's so many mail drops. For instance, peruvian organic natural heavenly pure organic-organic coffee beans for his titanium french coffee press. Oh heck, you type that stuff so much better, Steve...

smokymtnsteve
07-21-2004, 23:49
There should be a disclaimer for this SMS clown, he's on a wacky diet and prefers particular things. I think he'd go hungry if he ran out of food and came across McD's with money in his pocket. No offense, Steve, your food does look good and scrumptious and you sure do get the women excited with all your recipes and preferences. But for the Canuck, that's why there's so many mail drops. For instance, peruvian organic natural heavenly pure organic-organic coffee beans for his titanium french coffee press. Oh heck, you type that stuff so much better, Steve...

clown..how funny...Rock refers to me as a 'cosmic possum"

and your right about Mcd's I would prefer to go hungry rather then spend a penny at a McD's...nor would I conserve other folks leftovers from Mcd's..the issue is not money!

depending on what one wants to eat.. it is very difflucult to find some types of food along the trail ..and these hard ot find foods are what i want to eat.
so I ship it to myself...I find it easier..but now I don't thru hike but I do stay out 2-3 months every spring for the last few years and get up towrd damascus or so
( this year I made it to bland,VA, it got HOT..I went home :banana
I don't like hot weather ..
but i will spend a couple months this Fall walking, hopefully.

if your diet is organic veggie-tarin it is difflucult to find food along the trail.

Hot springs is one place that I know of near the trail where you can buy some decent food...