PDA

View Full Version : one more flip flop question

bonnie
08-19-2009, 10:01
when would you all suggest i break out my cold weather gear? wondering if it makes sense to just bring it with me now?

i'll flying up to Maine tomorrow, hiking Katahdin on Friday, and then heading south, finishing up my thru at Greenwood Lake, NY sometime in late October.

as always, thanks for your help in making my thruhike dream a reality!

Wise Old Owl
08-19-2009, 11:43
when would you all suggest i break out my cold weather gear? wondering if it makes sense to just bring it with me now?

i'll flying up to Maine tomorrow, hiking Katahdin on Friday, and then heading south, finishing up my thru at Greenwood Lake, NY sometime in late October.

as always, thanks for your help in making my thruhike dream a reality!

Just before hunting season starts. - No kidding.

neighbor dave
08-19-2009, 11:47
have something warm for the whites.
what's your tolerance for cold?:-?

emerald
08-19-2009, 12:00
When would you suggest I break out my cold weather gear? Wondering if it makes sense to just bring it with me now?

Bring appropriate gear for above treeline now. A fleece jacket or sweater, watch cap or balaclava, mittens and a full rainsuit should be adequate. It can be cool at night at elevation in Vermont too and it's more apt to be cool by the time you get there.

woodsy
08-19-2009, 12:12
Nights will start to get cooler now, 7 day forecast for Millinocket (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Millinocket&state=ME&site=CAR&textField1=45.6591&textField2=-68.6989&e=0) shows low to 50* Monday night. Shouldn't need anything heavy for awhile though.

Blissful
08-19-2009, 15:22
Check your sleeping bag rating also - I would go with 25 degree or less (throw in a liner) and bring a tent (I prefer free standing with the tent platforms, wind, etc). You can get sleet in the Whites in August and definitely by Sept.

bonnie
08-19-2009, 19:20
thank you all!