PDA

View Full Version : Camping Woody Gap

Codger
08-19-2009, 11:41
Back in May wife and I hit Woody Gap about 6pm, found a couple of nice tent spots just north of highway. These are not mention in any hiker trail books. Was this a bad place to camp?

Dances with Mice
08-19-2009, 11:47
Back in May wife and I hit Woody Gap about 6pm, found a couple of nice tent spots just north of highway. These are not mention in any hiker trail books. Was this a bad place to camp?You mean the old quarry area above the picnic tables? It's as good as any place at a roadside parking area can be to camp and better than most places for about a mile in either direction of Woody.

Codger
08-19-2009, 14:09
YES. Why is not mention in any trail books?

max patch
08-19-2009, 14:18
YES. Why is not mention in any trail books?

Shhh....we're keeping it a secret. Just like the water at Cooper Gap.

daddytwosticks
08-19-2009, 16:15
ummmm...what water at Cooper Gap? :)

bloodmountainman
08-19-2009, 17:04
Back in May wife and I hit Woody Gap about 6pm, found a couple of nice tent spots just north of highway. These are not mention in any hiker trail books. Was this a bad place to camp?
Too close to the road. A road that connects Dahlongea and Suches. Think about it!

Kerosene
08-19-2009, 17:16
There is also a sweet, but dry, campsite at the top of Ramrock Mountain a few miles south of Woody Gap that has a view of the Atlanta skyline.

dreamsoftrails
08-19-2009, 17:42
There is also a sweet, but dry, campsite at the top of Ramrock Mountain a few miles south of Woody Gap that has a view of the Atlanta skyline.

great blue blaze camp site at the north end of big cedar mountain. cozy swag grass to set up on, or two perfect hammock trees above the same grass.

no atlanta skyline, but that is overrated. you can see yonah mountain and such from big cedar.

take-a-knee
08-19-2009, 19:02
great blue blaze camp site at the north end of big cedar mountain. cozy swag grass to set up on, or two perfect hammock trees above the same grass.

no atlanta skyline, but that is overrated. you can see yonah mountain and such from big cedar.

I'd much rather see Yonah than Atlanta!

dreamsoftrails
08-21-2009, 10:15
I'd much rather see Yonah than Atlanta!
yeah, seriously!

i should have said in my earlier post that the big cedar campsite is two miles north of woody gap. there is usually no water between there, but there is an occasionally flowing spring on top of big cedar that runs across the trail. usually only flows during times of good rain.

daylaandjasper
12-29-2009, 17:45
I camped at this spot on my 01 thru- its a sweet spot except its really close to a road. I was with a group of folks so i wasn't worried, but a couple hours after dark some people came up to the spot and looked around. I think I remember one of them sorta being a tour guide for the other- and here on your right are some thruhikers trying to sleep... other than that it was a sweet spot. We ended up after wanting to avoid crowds at Gooch shelter and wanting to go a couple more miles. we didn't find any spots that I recall between Gooch Gap and Woody Gap and we ended up hiking a little further than we wanted. I do remember one of the guys I was with saying- second night out and I'm already breaking my promise to my mom not to camp near roads....

Hooch
12-29-2009, 17:54
.......between Gooch Gap and.......I;m going to start a petition to have this changed to Hooch Gap. Alrighty then, who's signing first? :p:rolleyes::D

CrumbSnatcher
12-30-2009, 00:21
I;m going to start a petition to have this changed to Hooch Gap. Alrighty then, who's signing first? :p:rolleyes::D
some reason or another i've stayed at hooch gap 3 different times on thruhikes. nice place always hitch into the store in suches for snacks,sodas and carry out hotdogs onion and chil sauce for dinner back at the gap.

Graywolf
01-02-2010, 15:34
Several on line sites mentions this site including www.digitaltrailguides.com (http://www.digitaltrailguides.com) and they also mention a privy at this spot, which could be handy..

I missed this spot during my section last August due to pack failure..Errrrr, but will hopefully have a second go of it this coming August....

Graywolf

CrumbSnatcher
01-02-2010, 15:51
Several on line sites mentions this site including www.digitaltrailguides.com (http://www.digitaltrailguides.com) and they also mention a privy at this spot, which could be handy..

I missed this spot during my section last August due to pack failure..Errrrr, but will hopefully have a second go of it this coming August....

Graywolf i have never seen the restrooms at woody gap open. i was there to early in the year though.?

white_russian
01-02-2010, 16:32
i have never seen the restrooms at woody gap open. i was there to early in the year though.?
All three times I have been through Woody Gap they have been open. They were open in mid-Feb when I was there last year

CrumbSnatcher
01-02-2010, 16:36
All three times I have been through Woody Gap they have been open. They were open in mid-Feb when I was there last year
i haven't been there since 05'
when i was thruhiking i camped there 3 of 4 years
98' mid march
99' april 9th?
02' late feb.
03' early march
its all in the timing i guess:D

Graywolf
01-02-2010, 16:42

Thats real good information..I have heard 2 different sides..One thing I have learned is that the guide books don't always give good information, like the BBQ in Suches, or the camp/privy at Woody Gap...

It is a good thing hikers share info like this...I ahev marked all through my guides with places that is not listed in the guides themselves..One reason I like WB..Some folks here give really good information...

Thanks to all of you..

Graywolf

CrumbSnatcher
01-02-2010, 16:51
did you camp there or where you there during the day?
maybe they come up and lock them at night? who really cares huh?
the BBQ now thats important crap:D

white_russian
01-02-2010, 17:14
did you camp there or where you there during the day?
maybe they come up and lock them at night? who really cares huh?
the BBQ now thats important crap:D
just during the day. it would seem really silly for the forest service to come lock them up every night, but you got to remember the government has done stupider.

I was there in early-April of 06 and 08 and then mid-Feb of 09 just for my actual data points.

CrumbSnatcher
01-02-2010, 17:35
just during the day. it would seem really silly for the forest service to come lock them up every night, but you got to remember the government has done stupider.

I was there in early-April of 06 and 08 and then mid-Feb of 09 just for my actual data points.
every evening we camped there i never saw any rangers go lock or unlock. but one always did pull into the parking lot everytime. maybe to check on the cars?

Graywolf
01-02-2010, 17:38

you got that right..The city put up a very nice trail here in town to hike on, then they fenced it off so no one could use it. Tax payers money at work for ya..

LimpsAlong
01-26-2010, 18:19
Camped there in Sept during the "Deadly Deluge". Folks kept pulling into the parking area, staying a few minutes then leaving. We thought they were up to no good. Come to find out thats one of the few places for cell service on that road.