PDA

View Full Version : Ride Back to Maine

Donnie
08-19-2009, 14:26
I am currently looking for a ride back to Maine. My buddy and I left the trail just south of the Kennebec near the Pierce Pond lean to just 8 days after beginning out southbound thru attempt. He decided that the trail wasn't for him and we both hitch back to Pennsylvania together. After purchasing a new stove and cookware that is more suitable for a single person (we were sharing while hiking together), I am trying to find my way back so I can continue my walk south. Although I would prefer a ride to somewhere close to where I left off (Caratunk perhaps), anywhere in Maine would be appreciated. I am currently living in southwestern Pennsylvania but could meet up with anyone that may be passing within a few hours of driving.

I know it is getting to be rather late to start a thru hike but I though it would be worth a shot to see if anyone is making the drive. If all else fails, I may try contacting a few local trucking companies to see if they are making any trips north.

In summary:
I am looking for a ride from the SW PA area to Maine sometime within the next week so that I can resume my thru hike.

Thanks,
Donnie

P.S. If anyone was on the trail and met two guys looking to do the trail in about 100 days, that was me. Needless to say, I am on my own now.

emerald
08-19-2009, 14:34
Even if you only hike back to Pennsylvania, you will have half of the AT completed. Maybe you could do the remainder NOBO some other time.

Donnie
08-19-2009, 15:23
I have entertained the idea of abandoning my sobo attempt in favor of a PA>ME,PA>GA flip but I think that would only make attaining a ride more difficult and I am at greater of running into poor weather. I believe I need to simply find my way back to Maine and continue walking south.

-Donnie

emerald
08-19-2009, 18:27
I have entertained the idea of abandoning my sobo attempt in favor of a PA>ME ...

You might find the ride back to Pennsylvania, but you'd be cutting it close to finish by October 15. Unless you are prepared to wait for an opportunity to climb Katahdin and are willing to chance not finishing, SOBO strikes me as the better game plan too.

boarstone
08-20-2009, 06:46
Strikes me as the better idea. You might find the ride back, but you'd be cutting it close to finish by October 15. Unless you are prepared to wait for an opportunity to summit and are willing to chance not finishing, hike SOBO.

He's hiking SOBO....