PDA

View Full Version : Best thru hiking guidebook

Acedop Walker
08-19-2009, 18:49
I hope someone hasn't already started a post on this but I couldn't find any. I was wondering what the best book, or series of books, for a GAME thru hike. I don't want to carry maps and a book so I would like to find a book that has condensed versions of the maps in it. Any suggestions? There are just so many I have seen on the internet but it is hard to tell what they are like without being able to flip through them

Thanks!
happy trails,
Alex

Jack Tarlin
08-19-2009, 19:05
There are three major Trail guidebooks used by long-distance Appalachian Trail hikers. These books are updated annually, and usually come out shortly after the first of the year.

They are The Thru-Hiker's Companion; The Thru-Hiker's Handbook; and Appalachian Pages.

All are quite similar, and it probably doesn't much matter which one you end up using.

None of them contain Trail maps, tho all contain maps of the major trail towns on or near the Trail where hikers go to re-supply, rest, etc.

You can examine the Companion On-Line at www.aldha.org

I hope you re-consider your decision to not carry both guidebook AND maps. Considering the cost and weight factors (which are minimal), and considering how useful they are and how often you'll consult them, I think it's a really good idea to carry maps as well as a guidebook, but that's up to you.

Lone Wolf
08-19-2009, 19:35
go with Appalachian Pages

Chaco Taco
08-19-2009, 20:57
Pages is the better one

Jack Tarlin
08-20-2009, 15:05
Actually, I think right now the Handbook is probably the best one, in terms of ease-of-use; the Companion, because it has so many field editors that either live right in the area that they're writing about, or just did the Trail themselves, tends to be the most accurate in terms of town/trail facility information; App. Pages might have an edge on town maps, as theirs get better every year.

But it really doesn't matter which one you use, the differences these days are pretty minimal.

blueskyggs
08-26-2009, 04:53
Many thanks to ur post. I love it.:sun

demande simulation pret personnel en ligne (http://simulationpretpersonnel.com) - Pret personnel en ligne et de comparer les meilleurs taux afin de... La demande de prêt personnelen lignedemande simulation pret personnel en ligne (http://simulationpretpersonnel.com)

Spokes
08-26-2009, 07:10
I went with the Thru-Hiker's Handbook after checking each of the other guidebooks out during my planning phase. IMO the Handbook was the best choice. My only complaint was the elevation charts were way too general.

Oh, and save the weight, ditch the maps. You really don't need them on the AT.

Sly
08-26-2009, 07:17
Oh, and save the weight, ditch the maps. You really don't need them on the AT.

There's lots of things in most packs that really aren't needed or you'll never use. Sometimes you can get by without any of the 10 essentials. However, if you ever want to go off trail, or wandering, maps are essential.

SmokeEater
08-26-2009, 10:19
Thru-Hiker's Handbook. Tear out what u need.

Diamond Diggs
08-26-2009, 14:41
I was hoping that by now, someone would have come up with an AT e-map! Software you could download to your phone or other decive with AT section maps and all the town details and all that info on it! Why has this not happened yet!?

tlbj6142
08-26-2009, 14:47
If you can run google earth on your device you can probably do it. As, I think, there is a data file for google earth showing the AT, its shelters, etc.

Midway Sam
08-27-2009, 12:03
I was hoping that by now, someone would have come up with an AT e-map! Software you could download to your phone or other decive with AT section maps and all the town details and all that info on it! Why has this not happened yet!?

Because maps shouldn't require batteries.

tlbj6142
08-27-2009, 13:21
Because maps shouldn't require batteries.You mean like headlamps? Or MP3 player? Camera? Watch? Water treatment? Phone?

Midway Sam
08-27-2009, 13:40
You mean like headlamps? Or MP3 player? Camera? Watch? Water treatment? Phone?

Didn't want to spark a debate, just giving a reason why battery operated maps are not a good idea.

FWIW, I carry a headlamp but could do without it if the batteries died. I don't carry an MP3 player and rarely get my camera out of my pack... no idea why I still bring one. I could care less what time it is when I'm on the trail and that is very nice. My Katadyn filter does not require batteries and when my phone battery finally gives way my wife will just have to live without the requisite update calls.

My map, on the other hand helps me find the quickest way to a road in the case of an emergency. It shows me potential water sources that are nearby but not on the trail or in any guidebook. It helps me identify that far off peak that I'm curious about and gives me the 411 on what the terrain is gonna be like tomorrow when I head out on the trail. Boy, I'd hate to do without my map.

gearfreak
08-27-2009, 13:58
My map, on the other hand helps me find the quickest way to a road in the case of an emergency. It shows me potential water sources that are nearby but not on the trail or in any guidebook. It helps me identify that far off peak that I'm curious about and gives me the 411 on what the terrain is gonna be like tomorrow when I head out on the trail. Boy, I'd hate to do without my map.

Ditto. But I do use my Steripen, camera and headlamp. :o

Mags
08-27-2009, 14:33

A little anecdote.

I had someone e-mail from an outdoor group I am active with. He said there should be more social hikes that are easier and more accessible to the average person.

I said...GREAT IDEA!

I then asked "When are you organizing the next social hike?"

I never heard back. ;)

downes911
08-27-2009, 17:29
i have all three but decided on thru hikers handbook, as a snap shot of the elevation at the bottem of each page specifically for those miles, I like the visual.

Awol2003
08-31-2009, 22:46
I hope someone hasn't already started a post on this but I couldn't find any. I was wondering what the best book, or series of books, for a GAME thru hike. I don't want to carry maps and a book so I would like to find a book that has condensed versions of the maps in it. Any suggestions?

If you are looking now for a book to use next year, wait and order a 2010 edition. The "three major" books will be available in January and will probably take pre-orders before then. If you pre-order Appalachian Pages in November, you'll get the 2009 for free (pay only shipping) so that you have a hardcopy to plan with. App Pages is the only one of the three that also offers a southbound edition. Just so you know, I am the book's coauthor. www.AppalachianPages.com (http://www.appalachianpages.com/)

Two more reasons to wait:

Stuff changes...reroutes, places go out of business and new ones open.

The books may improve upon their offerings.