neighbor dave
08-19-2009, 19:23
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=286550 :eek:

neighbor dave
08-19-2009, 19:26
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i20iLz0uuoc

Mr. Parkay
08-19-2009, 23:33
Nice! It's good to see the record held by a backpacker again!

A-Train
08-20-2009, 01:06
Pretty amazing that not one, but two hikers made it all the way and both beat the record, without slackpacking and car help. In fact, they walked to all their resupplies and did not hitch hike one bit.

I certainly would never wanna hike the PCT in this manner, but my hat is off to Scott and Adam for this feat!

Jeff
08-20-2009, 05:49
Nice! It's good to see the record held by a backpacker again!

True, but it was nice to know Dave Horton was an "old guy" who held the record for a few years.:D

Ender
08-20-2009, 09:43
Most amazing stat so far from this hike... no hitching into towns. Some of those towns are 10 or more miles off the trail. Very impressive.

A-Train
08-20-2009, 10:08
Most amazing stat so far from this hike... no hitching into towns. Some of those towns are 10 or more miles off the trail. Very impressive.

It is amazing, but reading thru Adam's journal, it appears they didn't really walk to places off the trail, or go at all. They did have some long carries like Warner Springs-Mcdonalds and Snoqualmie to Canada.

In 07 there was a guy names NoCar who actually did walk into places like Big Bear City which are quite a ways off trail

Ender
08-20-2009, 11:15
It is amazing, but reading thru Adam's journal, it appears they didn't really walk to places off the trail, or go at all. They did have some long carries like Warner Springs-Mcdonalds and Snoqualmie to Canada.

In 07 there was a guy names NoCar who actually did walk into places like Big Bear City which are quite a ways off trail

Gotcha... yeah, that makes a lot more sense. I hitched to one town that was 26 miles off the trail. No way they could do that and get the record.

ChinMusic
08-20-2009, 11:40
I never thought an "unsupported" hike would ever eclipse a "supported" one for the record. This is the most amazing hike I have ever read about.

What a beast!!!

The Weasel
08-20-2009, 11:43
It ain't a contest. Not on the AT, not on the PCT. St. Paul nailed it: "The race is not to the swift..."

TW

sheepdog
08-20-2009, 12:17
It ain't a contest. Not on the AT, not on the PCT. St. Paul nailed it: "The race is not to the swift..."

TW
To some everything is a contest. It is thier personality. They get more pleasure by pushing themselves than going slow. To each their own.
It is quite an impressive accomplishment.

Ender
08-20-2009, 12:25

TW

To you it isn't. To them it is. Neither way is better, or worse.

John B
08-20-2009, 12:48

TW

You sure St Paul wrote that, counselor? I'll put my money on Solomon. What you quoted is from Ecclesiastes 9:11, old testament, not the new. Still, at least you got the right book.

jersey joe
08-20-2009, 12:58
Great accomplishment! Congrats to Scott and Adam.

The Weasel
08-20-2009, 13:04
To some everything is a contest. It is thier personality. They get more pleasure by pushing themselves than going slow. To each their own.
It is quite an impressive accomplishment.

To you it isn't. To them it is. Neither way is better, or worse.

You sure St Paul wrote that, counselor? I'll put my money on Solomon. What you quoted is from Ecclesiastes 9:11, old testament, not the new. Still, at least you got the right book.

Yeah, but St. Paul could have said it. Thanks for the correction.

As for "their way," great. Run the whole length of every trail there is, top speed. But it's still not a contest. If it's important to you to do it fast, great. But bragging about a "record"? A record only exists if there is a competition. There ain't one. Not for them, not for me, not for anyone else. It's a path. Walk it how you want to. You don't lose by not "finishing first."

TW

Jonnycat
08-20-2009, 14:53
By "unsupported", do you mean they didn't use water caches, but instead relied only on natural sources, fixed sources, and resupply locations for their water?

[quote=The Weasel;881620

As for "their way," great. Run the whole length of every trail there is, top speed. But it's still not a contest. If it's important to you to do it fast, great. But bragging about a "record"? A record only exists if there is a competition. There ain't one. Not for them, not for me, not for anyone else. It's a path. Walk it how you want to. You don't lose by not "finishing first." [/quote]

Well stated. It's like a "yoga competition". :D

A-Train
08-20-2009, 14:59
Yeah, but St. Paul could have said it. Thanks for the correction.

As for "their way," great. Run the whole length of every trail there is, top speed. But it's still not a contest. If it's important to you to do it fast, great. But bragging about a "record"? A record only exists if there is a competition. There ain't one. Not for them, not for me, not for anyone else. It's a path. Walk it how you want to. You don't lose by not "finishing first."

TW

What are you talking about? THey didn't run and they didn't brag. Someone else posted this, not them. Scott is one of the nicest and most humble walkers I've ever met. What is it about marveling in one's accomplishment that burns your butt?

You are talking about winners and losers, no one else has. It doesn't make any of the other 200+ PCT hikers adventures any less special.

Spogatz
08-20-2009, 15:25
I know I would never be able to do those kinds of miles for such a long distance but hail to those that can.

Ender
08-20-2009, 15:45
As for "their way," great. Run the whole length of every trail there is, top speed. But it's still not a contest. If it's important to you to do it fast, great. But bragging about a "record"? A record only exists if there is a competition. There ain't one. Not for them, not for me, not for anyone else. It's a path. Walk it how you want to. You don't lose by not "finishing first."TW

That's not true about a record... a record simply means having the highest/fastest/slowest/tallest/shortest/whateverest something. The person holding the record for tallest person in the world didn't enter a tall person competition.

Also, in regards to these hikers, there was in fact a contest. A contest with themselves to see if they could go faster than the person who previously had gone the fastest. What about this is wrong?

What are you talking about? THey didn't run and they didn't brag. Someone else posted this, not them. Scott is one of the nicest and most humble walkers I've ever met. What is it about marveling in one's accomplishment that burns your butt?

You are talking about winners and losers, no one else has. It doesn't make any of the other 200+ PCT hikers adventures any less special.

Agreed. I admire anyone who hikes these trails, regardless of speed. These guys I admire for their speed.

There is no wrong way to hike a trail! (unless, of course, in doing so you are hurting others... but for actual hiking styles, no wrong way)

The Weasel
08-20-2009, 16:41
That's not true about a record... a record simply means having the highest/fastest/slowest/tallest/shortest/whateverest something. The person holding the record for tallest person in the world didn't enter a tall person competition.

How nice. OK: I went to Campo a year ago, and parked my car by the Monument. I then walked from the Monument back to my car door, about 6 feet.

I claim the record for the shortest PCT hike. Woo-hoo!!!!:banana

Am I important now, or am I still just The Weasel? :-?

TW

Ender
08-20-2009, 16:53
How nice. OK: I went to Campo a year ago, and parked my car by the Monument. I then walked from the Monument back to my car door, about 6 feet.

I claim the record for the shortest PCT hike. Woo-hoo!!!!:banana

Am I important now, or am I still just The Weasel? :-?

TW

Mock all you want, but just because you don't recognize it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist, official or no. And no, you are not important. Your record is likely not a record, and also is too easy to do. Do something worth talking about, then get back to us.

Seriously, I really don't understand this "It's not my way, it's not right" attitude of hikers who later proclaim to be HYOH. You either belive in HYOH, or you don't. You clearly don't.

warren doyle
08-20-2009, 17:00
[quote=A-Train;881486]Pretty amazing that not one, but two hikers made it all the way and both beat the record, without slackpacking and car help. In fact, they walked to all their resupplies and did not hitch hike one bit.

I totally agree. No two people will ever be able to duplicate what these two folks did.
I always felt that a conistent walker doing 14-17 hour days could 'beat' a 12-15 hour a day runner on any of the three major long distance trails.
It is also nice to see a return to the 'old' way of attempting long distance trail endurance records after the over-hyped Karl M. attempt on the AT last year.

The Weasel
08-20-2009, 17:08
Ender,

I just reviewed one of my first posts here in 2002. I mentioned that a little bragging is a good thing. But only a little, and even then, only about finishing. And the original Yogi, from TrailPlace in '99, got really irked with me because I emphasized that "HYOH" meant that I didn't need to really follow her advice and could (and did) do pretty much as I want on the trail. So, in part, I know where you're coming from.

But I don't think I'm really alone in resenting the "I did the best" attitude to the trail, whether it is "I carried the least" or "I did it the fastest." Those are implicit, but very clear, qualitative judgments, and I don't think they belong in a non-competitive environment like the AT, the PCT or similar trails. If someone is taller than everyone, she/he didn't "accomplish" that; it just happened. And you've gotten my point and - ahem! - weaseled about my "record". Just because it was "easy" - so YOU say! - to do doesn't diminish it, unless such things are meaningless (which they are). No one, except for self-competitors, keeps track of "records" like that, at least not the PCTA or the ATC.

HYOH doesn't mean, "I get to do what I want and let you know and everone else know I did it somehow better than you or others." HYOH means, "I'm hiking my way. Next subject?"

Nope, my record's not important, although it's very real (anyone out there planning to break it? If there's a chance, of THAT, I'll put the top of my Jeep down, drive BEHIND the Monument, climb on it without touching the ground, and slowly let the side of my foot touch the ground alongside the front of the Monument. FOUR INCHES! Beat THAT record, maggots!) and of just as much (really, just as little) import as the "fastest".

Trails aren't racetracks. Sorry. If it mattered to him, great. Let him do it. Then not brag. He'd know. He would have Hiked His Own Hike. Good for him.

TW

Lone Wolf
08-20-2009, 17:15
Mock all you want, but just because you don't recognize it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist, official or no. And no, you are not important. Your record is likely not a record, and also is too easy to do. Do something worth talking about, then get back to us.

Seriously, I really don't understand this "It's not my way, it's not right" attitude of hikers who later proclaim to be HYOH. You either belive in HYOH, or you don't. You clearly don't.

kinda like folks who spout the bible. they're usually hypocrites to the max

Lone Wolf
08-20-2009, 17:18
Ender,

I just reviewed one of my first posts here in 2002. I mentioned that a little bragging is a good thing. But only a little, and even then, only about finishing. And the original Yogi, from TrailPlace in '99, got really irked with me because I emphasized that "HYOH" meant that I didn't need to really follow her advice and could (and did) do pretty much as I want on the trail. So, in part, I know where you're coming from.

But I don't think I'm really alone in resenting the "I did the best" attitude to the trail, whether it is "I carried the least" or "I did it the fastest." Those are implicit, but very clear, qualitative judgments, and I don't think they belong in a non-competitive environment like the AT, the PCT or similar trails. If someone is taller than everyone, she/he didn't "accomplish" that; it just happened. And you've gotten my point and - ahem! - weaseled about my "record". Just because it was "easy" - so YOU say! - to do doesn't diminish it, unless such things are meaningless (which they are). No one, except for self-competitors, keeps track of "records" like that, at least not the PCTA or the ATC.

HYOH doesn't mean, "I get to do what I want and let you know and everone else know I did it somehow better than you or others." HYOH means, "I'm hiking my way. Next subject?"

Nope, my record's not important, although it's very real (anyone out there planning to break it? If there's a chance, of THAT, I'll put the top of my Jeep down, drive BEHIND the Monument, climb on it without touching the ground, and slowly let the side of my foot touch the ground alongside the front of the Monument. FOUR INCHES! Beat THAT record, maggots!) and of just as much (really, just as little) import as the "fastest".

Trails aren't racetracks. Sorry. If it mattered to him, great. Let him do it. Then not brag. He'd know. He would have Hiked His Own Hike. Good for him.

TW
the AT is a race track for those doin' a thru-hike. you gotta put in a certain amount of miles daily to do it. it's a marathon. it's more about the destination than the journey. section hikers get more out of walkin' the AT

The Old Fhart
08-20-2009, 17:21
Lone Wolf-"kinda like folks who spout the bible. they're usually hypocrites to the max"Let He Who Is Without Sin Cast The First Stone. :D

Lone Wolf
08-20-2009, 17:25
Let He Who Is Without Sin Cast The First Stone. :D

i don't read the bible. i ain't a sinner

Ender
08-20-2009, 19:38
Weasel,

I see where you're coming from, but I'd like to address your points one at a time. As a warning, it's gonna be a long one, so feel free to ignore if'n you so desire :p

Ender,

But I don't think I'm really alone in resenting the "I did the best" attitude to the trail, whether it is "I carried the least" or "I did it the fastest." Those are implicit, but very clear, qualitative judgments, and I don't think they belong in a non-competitive environment like the AT, the PCT or similar trails.
The AT/PCT are non-competitive environments... to you. Not to them. HYOH means you get to treat these public places as relaxing escapes. HYOH also means letting these other people treat these same public places how they want. What is there to resent other than the knowledge that someone views something differently than you. And that's a silly thing to resent. We may not agree with these other people, but we must let them do their hike their own way.

If someone is taller than everyone, she/he didn't "accomplish" that; it just happened. And you've gotten my point and - ahem! - weaseled about my "record". Just because it was "easy" - so YOU say! - to do doesn't diminish it, unless such things are meaningless (which they are). No one, except for self-competitors, keeps track of "records" like that, at least not the PCTA or the ATC.

And for these people it is important. There is no reason to talk down about these people just because they look at the world differently.

HYOH doesn't mean, "I get to do what I want and let you know and everone else know I did it somehow better than you or others."

Actually, that's exactly what HYOH means. They aren't hurting anyone by doing so, and if that's how they want to hike, that's how they want to hike. We are under no obligation to listen, but letting them do this is exactly what HYOH means.

First, this made me chuckle. Funny stuff :p Second, personally, records aren't important to me. But they are important to other people, and HYOH means we let these records be important to those people. Who are we to stand in the way of that? Be impressed by the accomplishment, if nothing else.

Trails aren't racetracks. Sorry.
Again, they aren't racetracks... to you. But to other people, they are. It's the very definition of HYOH. We're allowed to hike the trail in whatever manner we want (with the understanding that we aren't hurting others in the process), and we MUST allow others the same courtesy.

If it mattered to him, great. Let him do it. Then not brag. He'd know. He would have Hiked His Own Hike. Good for him.
Why not brag? We aren't required to listen, but if they want to brag, brag. That's like telling someone who just finished section hiking the trail not to brag that they finished. Sure, bragging can easily go too far and be quickly annoying, but where does one draw the line. For every person that line is different. And in any case, it's their right to brag if they want. And it's our right to ignore them if we want.

I do see where you're coming from, but I don't agree. Yeah, these records aren't important to me, and years ago it kind of bothered me that people went for them. But then I asked myself why I really cared, and it turned out that (1) I didn't really, and (2) even if I did, it wasn't right of me to pass judgement on these people for hiking differently than me.

Anyway, that's just how I look at it. We may not agree, and that's OK! :o

neighbor dave
08-20-2009, 22:26
and we should not know about any great adventure in this great world that might be under way at the moment. nor should they tell you what your favorite football baseball hockey basketball team's schedule is. why don't they just go out and play the game, then let me know who won afterwards. that makes alot of sense. it's called human interest, what the human body is capable of doing. something we all can relate to. just sit on the couch and wait for results. sounds like the government.:-?

The Weasel
08-20-2009, 22:51
Ender --

A great post. Here's where we differ:

If you want to 'hike your own hike,' I don't care what it is. That's up to you, and we both agree. But don't come 'round talking up how your hike is so wonderful, and how your kind of hiking merits all kinds of publicity, and how you're "successful" about something. Doing that changes the "hike" of the rest of us by making the AT (or anything else) become defined in your terms: It now is a place where records "matter."

No, they don't. They might matter to those who attempt them, and that's cool. But by changing the trail into another kind of place - a racetrack - they take something from us that the rest of us don't deny them: They make our trail a place of competition, while we don't deny them the ability to set their own record. By definition, a "performance record" (unlike a status, e.g. height/weight record) means that everyone else has failed to meet that performance standard. That means "my" hike (and probably yours, too) are "lesser performances".

It ain't a race track. If people want to compete for times, do it, but shut up about it.

And LW, there's a difference between catching a train and running a race: If I have to be on Springer Mountain by October 1, that's not a race, that's a goal. If I miss the train - if I'm late - that's one thing. But if the "goal" is to "beat" a "record", that's different. You know that, and I know you know that, and, frankly, I don't think you really give a rat's butt about "records" either.

If people want to "HYOH" they should do so, and keep the "Y" in it to themselves.

TW

PS: I still hold the record for shortest PCT hike. And my "record" matters is every bit as unimportant as the record for the "fastest".

TW again

Lone Wolf
08-20-2009, 22:53
Ender --

If you want to 'hike your own hike,' I don't care what it is. That's up to you, and we both agree. But don't come 'round talking up how your hike is so wonderful, and how your kind of hiking merits all kinds of publicity, and how you're "successful" about something. Doing that changes the "hike" of the rest of us by making the AT (or anything else) become defined in your terms: It now is a place where records "matter."

No, they don't. They might matter to those who attempt them, and that's cool. But by changing the trail into another kind of place - a racetrack - they take something from us that the rest of us don't deny them: They make our trail a place of competition, while we don't deny them the ability to set their own record. By definition, a "performance record" (unlike a status, e.g. height/weight record) means that everyone else has failed to meet that performance standard. That means "my" hike (and probably yours, too) are "lesser performances".

It ain't a race track. If people want to compete for times, do it, but shut up about it.

And LW, there's a difference between catching a train and running a race: If I have to be on Springer Mountain by October 1, that's not a race, that's a goal. If I miss the train - if I'm late - that's one thing. But if the "goal" is to "beat" a "record", that's different. You know that, and I know you know that, and, frankly, I don't think you really give a rat's butt about "records" either.

If people want to "HYOH" they should do so, and keep the "Y" in it to themselves.

TW

PS: I still hold the record for shortest PCT hike. And my "record" matters is every bit as unimportant as the record for the "fastest".

TW again
you're wrong. that is all

ChinMusic
08-20-2009, 22:53

Try posting your own post.

The Weasel
08-20-2009, 22:56

Lest there be any doubt about it, a lot of people, including you, are talking about how little of the PCT I hiked that day. So I'm getting back to you about it. 6 feet!!! No one has one less, or at least admits to it!!! I WIN!!!!!!! (Will send you clippings from the Tecate El Diario about "Loco Gazbacho Staggers 6 Feet In Campo". What address should I send them to?)

:banana

TW

A-Train
08-20-2009, 23:04
Ender --

TW

TW again

For the 2nd time today, what are you talking about? Where did Scott or Adam brag about their hikes? This is a non-issue IMO.

Why is their adventure so threatening to you? It only takes away from the experiences and accomplishments of other hikers if they/you let it.

If a baseball player hits 400 career homeruns, but never gets to 500 like player X, it doesn't make him any less of a ball player and he will retire thinking of all the good memories he had, not how he came up 100 hr's short. When they hold a ceremony for him 20 years after he retires, no one will be saying, but he came up 100 short from some completely unrelated ball player who happened to hit more.

The Weasel
08-20-2009, 23:13
Well, on behalf of all of those who never played in the big leagues, but who just enjoy swinging at a ball once in a while, I sort of think, yeah, if you hit 400 runs, you're competing in a major event, and yeah, you're making it pretty clear that me and the rest of us duffers just aren't really, well, "players." Not like you big guys who think "records" for everything matter.

So on behalf of all of those who've hiked less than 10 feet of the PCT, I'll say this: I walked the Pacific Crest Trail. OK? (Book, "A Walk In The Desert" to follow.) :banana

OK?

TW

sheepdog
08-21-2009, 11:44
kinda like folks who spout the bible. they're usually hypocrites to the max
http://www.clipartguide.com/_named_clipart_images/0060-0806-2019-2534_Chef_Stirring_a_Big_Pot_clipart_image.jpg

clured
08-23-2009, 17:26
This is totally sweet. Two serious BA's.

In my mind, there's something inherently good about the accomplishment of something extremely difficult. People either get this stuff or they don't. It is an interesting litmus test of hiking style, and also of personality.

It is strange that the hiking community (or maybe just WB) is so anti-effort, anti-perseverance, anti-honor, anti-strength, anti-dedication to effort.

Yes, America was built on "smelling the roses" and "looking at views" and "enjoyment." In my mind, backpacking offers the ultimate antidote to a world that is full of banal pleasure-pursuit, laziness, and a disturbing absence of "deep" commitments. For me, these guys embody everything good about the trail.

sbhikes
09-08-2009, 20:04
Well, if I hiked from Snoqualmie to Canada without stopping at the Stehekin Bakery, then I wouldn't be able to call that a success.

Jester2000
09-08-2009, 20:50
I don't believe that speed record attempts turn the trail into anything in particular at all. I know that it's not the way I choose to hike, but I don't see how it harms or changes anything about the trail, and it certainly doesn't change the way I feel about my own thru-hikes (and it's really only my opinion that matters)(and not just regarding my hikes -- my opinions are the only ones that really matter regarding everyone elses' hiking as well)

TW

This was already mentioned by A-Train, but I'd like to note that I've never heard Scott brag about anything at all. Ever. I, on the other hand, brag all the time about things I've never done.

Well, if I hiked from Snoqualmie to Canada without stopping at the Stehekin Bakery, then I wouldn't be able to call that a success.

This guy currently holds the record for the highest percentage of high quality posts.

sbhikes
09-08-2009, 21:23
I'm not a guy. I'm Piper. I hiked last summer and this summer. I'm sure I'll post something worthless soon.

Jester2000
09-09-2009, 10:16

This woman currently holds the record for the highest percentage of high quality posts.