PDA

View Full Version : Never come back. Beer induced post #1

Runsalone
08-19-2009, 19:42
So there it is. Mind you all Ive had quite a few beers and I never EVER post here. So I though why the hell not babble online to a bunch of hikers. After all your MY people.

So here is my ridiculous life in a nutshell, I had to get off the trail in may of 08, since then and in part due to it im sure, my life has imploded, Ive lost my family,....twice.....the economy has sacked my chances of getting back out there in any amount of time to provide any sort of continuity, and Ive generally just had the suckiest year and a half ever.

Does the trail seem to anyone else to be a big magnifying glass on evey part of your life that might need change? Its like it pulled the rug out from under me. And yet all I can do is wait and hope for the day I can continue my journey.

Frankly, I never really came back. My body is here because it must be.

Foyt20
08-19-2009, 19:53
Wow... good luck.

Lone Wolf
08-19-2009, 19:57
the trail is a footpath. it is what it is. just walkin'. nothin' major. do it or don't. what you tryin' to say?

Ranc0r
08-19-2009, 20:16
I don't think of it so much as a magnifying glass, but without all the distractions you have more opportunity for introspection, and those things in your life that needed changing become eligible for change.

Perhaps you needed to focus on something else. Like hiking. Don't blame the trail for what happens in your life, it's your life and it was already changing. I'll bet it still is.

Ranc0r

Blissful
08-19-2009, 20:22
The trail can definitely draw things out of you. Make you see who you are in various situations that home life could never begin to do.

But then again, it looks like life back in the world is also teaching you things.

weary
08-19-2009, 20:25
the trail is a footpath. it is what it is. just walkin'. nothin' major. do it or don't. what you tryin' to say?

A great comment and question, Lone Wolf.

I continue to think that doing the trail was the most important thing I've done in my life. It taught me that trails are important. Yesterday I completed a 4 page tabloid that reports on the 31 miles of walking trails in my town. I've been involved in most of their creation and maintenance. But I was astounded by their number.

Lone wolf is right, It's just walking. But places to walk and young people who are willing to walk are important things to preserve. My years of activism are maybe a bit limited. I had my 80th birthday in May. But I figure I should have another few years.

But I've come to understand that the AT is not of prime importance. It's the act of involving ones self in the natural world -- and providing places where that can happen for yourself and others.

Weary

Blissful
08-19-2009, 20:31
Obviously the AT also makes one young, Weary. :)

Must have missed your big birthday. Happy belated!

emerald
08-19-2009, 20:38
I've come to understand that the AT is not of prime importance. It's the act of involving ones self in the natural world -- and providing places where that can happen for yourself and others.

Weary

The AT is important in that it connects an entire region and the people who inhabit it in ways many hundreds of shorter footpaths can't, but I agree we must not allow ourselves to become separated from the natural world.

One of the best ways to ensure that doesn't happen is to expose young people to it and to create opportunities in our own communities to interact with it regularly.

RedneckRye
08-20-2009, 00:39

Just what Lone Wolf said, one of the wisest folks here.
Except for the "it is what it is", that seems to be the new version of "if my a$$ could form vowel sounds, this is what it would sound like...".
(Sorry Wolf, didn't mean to offend you, that statement is a pet peeve of mine).

Walking miles and miles puts you alone with your own brain like nothing else. Sometimes being alone with your brain for hours or days is difficult. Your brain does not bull$#!t you and try to make you feel good or bad like your family and friends might.

Live simple, crawl your way out from whatever your family / debt /whatever situation may be and head out into the woods.

Spend the time alone with your own brain and the answers may become clear.
Or maybe they won't, the AT is just a trail.

berninbush
08-20-2009, 08:28
Hey Runsalone, I was gonna PM you but it says you don't receive PMs. Would you like to write me?

Gray Blazer
08-20-2009, 08:50
Runsalone, some years suck. The trail will be there. That's why I hang out on WB.
I thought this was another farewell post and was surprised Alligator had not shut it down yet, but, he prolly will now becuz he's not very thickskinned like the gators we have down here in Gainesville, FL.

Hoop Time
08-20-2009, 09:26
Seems to me now would be the time for you to get back on the trail. if you can figure out the financial end of it, a little time for some introspection might do you some good.

Losing the family has to suck. But on the other hand, it does free you in a way of those responsibilities. Maybe this is a time for you to turn lemons into lemonade, as my mother would say (of Chicken s^%@ into chicken salad as dad would have put it).

Instead of looking for the problems you situation has caused, look for the opportunities it has created.

Kerosene
08-20-2009, 15:59
the trail is a footpath. it is what it is. just walkin'. nothin' major. do it or don't. what you tryin' to say?The more Lone Wolf postings I see like this, the more I think he is channeling Dr. Phil! Of course, he's sitting down at Dot's tossing back a few beers when this supposedly popular daytime distraction is on the tube. :D

Jaybird62
08-20-2009, 16:07

I continue to think that doing the trail was the most important thing I've done in my life. It taught me that trails are important. Yesterday I completed a 4 page tabloid that reports on the 31 miles of walking trails in my town. I've been involved in most of their creation and maintenance. But I was astounded by their number.

Lone wolf is right, It's just walking. But places to walk and young people who are willing to walk are important things to preserve. My years of activism are maybe a bit limited. I had my 80th birthday in May. But I figure I should have another few years.

But I've come to understand that the AT is not of prime importance. It's the act of involving ones self in the natural world -- and providing places where that can happen for yourself and others.

Weary

A very "wise" post Weary!!!!:sun

Cannibal
08-20-2009, 16:10
I get ya Runsalone. I had to come off my 08 thru (nobo) in Vermont; partly due to finances, partly due to my father laying in the ICU. Not much to do except what's right. It killed me for several months and almost destroyed my relationship with my girl. It still sucks when I think about it too hard.

However, I eventually start thinking about all the things that happened that made me miss the Trail so much. I've got 6 months worth of the best days of my life. The two weeks I spent walking knowing I was coming off the trail don't even hold a candle to the good times. I didn't want to be a section hiker and I'm not; I'm a failed thru-hiker. But, I learned a couple of lessons from my failure and I'll go again from Springer to K. I think I'll be better at dealing with life after the trail the next time too.

In the end, it's your choice how you feel. Look at it as a lost opportunity or as preparation for the next run at it.

Gotta love drunk posting! :D

saimyoji
08-20-2009, 16:25
Gotta love drunk posting! :D

i'm under the impression that most posts after 5-6 oclock are lubricated to say the least......and those from certain members are usually buzzed posts not matter the hour. :D

PSy BaSS
08-20-2009, 16:55

I'm sorry but if it is just a trail and if it is just walking why do so many people get drawn to this way of life! Maybe for some; things might seem a little stale and don't feel the way they once did. What about those of us who are inspired by the people who hike along these trails; those of us who dedicate years to experiencing such an amazing journey! If it's just walking and just a trail.....why even bother! I'm slightly annoyed that someone so respected through out the this community could downgrade such a wonderful experience like this. Perhaps I'm interpreting it the wrong way and forgive me; I believe that for some this is much more then just walking!!!

Cannibal
08-20-2009, 16:59
I'm sorry but if it is just a trail and if it is just walking why do so many people get drawn to this way of life! Maybe for some; things might seem a little stale and don't feel the way they once did. What about those of us who are inspired by the people who hike along these trails; those of us who dedicate years to experiencing such an amazing journey! If it's just walking and just a trail.....why even bother! I'm slightly annoyed that someone so respected through out the this community could downgrade such a wonderful experience like this. Perhaps I'm interpreting it the wrong way and forgive me; I believe that for some this is much more then just walking!!!
I think you are interpreting it a little harshly. LW's little "it's just walking" mantra was a constant companion in my head during my hike. When the days got bad, I would just remind myself of it. He's right, it is just walking. The thing that draws people back are the things you see, the people you meet, and the experiences you enjoy (and hate) while walking. I think he's just trying to tell folks not to over-think things, just put one foot in front of the other until you're tired of doing that. It's a simple thing (not an easy thing) and people sometimes try to make it complicated. JMO

woodsy
08-20-2009, 17:07
Mind you all Ive had quite a few beers

Have a few more, everything will be better in the morning :)

Lone Wolf
08-20-2009, 17:11
I think you are interpreting it a little harshly. LW's little "it's just walking" mantra was a constant companion in my head during my hike. When the days got bad, I would just remind myself of it. He's right, it is just walking. The thing that draws people back are the things you see, the people you meet, and the experiences you enjoy (and hate) while walking. I think he's just trying to tell folks not to over-think things, just put one foot in front of the other until you're tired of doing that. It's a simple thing (not an easy thing) and people sometimes try to make it complicated. JMO

you get it

Hoop Time
08-20-2009, 21:09

Worked for me on my first longer AT hike. I hit the wall the second day ... tired, hot, low on water ... and I started thinking it's just walkin'. just keep putting one foot ahead of the other

Tinker
08-20-2009, 22:25
Life is one long walk. Sometimes we run, sometimes we crawl, sometimes we just sit and wonder "Why?".
If you don't give up you can't lose (if you don't fold you can't lose - poker analogy).
There are a lot of things in life you can't change.
The only thing that you can guarantee change in is yourself.
There are some old song lyrics that I remember everytime I think life is unfair - "no matter what you do, you'll never run away from you" - Paul Revere and the Raiders, I believe, from the '60s.
The Trail can't change you, only you can.
Chin up.
Take it one day at a time (or one step at a time).
:)

stranger
08-21-2009, 06:55
I agree that hiking the AT is just walking for many of us, but for many others it's much more than that. I can relate to both sides of the debate because I've been on both sides.

I think all of us who have walked hundreds, or thousands of miles along the AT have a strong connection to the trail in some capacity. Sure it's just walking, but when you spend two months, or six months "just walking" it often becomes more than that. Plus, the AT is such a social trail, and alot of my hikes along the trail have been enhanced greatly by fellow hikers. So, for me atleast, my hikes along the AT are different from other hikes I've done.

In terms of leaving the trail, and coming back into a harsh reality, that's really tough and I've also been there before. No one can tell you how to deal with that but I can promise you something, if you sit around and wait for things to happen, nothing will happen. You will need to make things happen, you and only you.

Take risks, make mistakes, learn from them and keep moving forward, always keep moving forward. Easier said than done, but essential.

PSy BaSS
08-21-2009, 09:50

maybe i might have been a little premature in posting which may have lead me to interpret it a little harshly. i appreciate the philosophy of 'it's just walking" but i still don't understand why the whole "little mantra" was suggested to the original post!

Cannibal
08-21-2009, 11:38
maybe i might have been a little premature in posting which may have lead me to interpret it a little harshly. i appreciate the philosophy of 'it's just walking" but i still don't understand why the whole "little mantra" was suggested to the original post!
Mostly cause that's how Lone Wolf rolls. :D

Buzz_Lightfoot
08-21-2009, 15:34

Mr. verbose himself. :)

PSy BaSS
08-21-2009, 16:43

Well in that case...... your turn to roll LW

Runsalone
08-24-2009, 20:35
wow. I started a post drinking and now im reading it drinking after remembering vaguely that i posted somethning on whiteblaze while drinking.
Hikers are deep man. thanks to everone who responded and especially to the guy that said have a few more beers. It really seems to be helping LOL!!!

As far as lone wolfs famouse statement, "its just walkin" yeah, but some people really.....REALLY LOVE walkin right LOL! Thats like sayintg , "its just making love with Demi Moore"

Lone Wolf
08-24-2009, 20:38
wow. I started a post drinking and now im reading it drinking after remembering vaguely that i posted somethning on whiteblaze while drinking.
Hikers are deep man. thanks to everone who responded and especially to the guy that said have a few more beers. It really seems to be helping LOL!!!

As far as lone wolfs famouse statement, "its just walkin" yeah, but some people really.....REALLY LOVE walkin right LOL! Thats like sayintg , "its just making love with Demi Moore"

demi moore? you don't make love to her. you just do her

Runsalone
08-24-2009, 20:39
demi moore? you don't make love to her. you just do her

I could live with myself for that I think.

Runsalone
08-24-2009, 20:41
LOL. I love you people. you AT people. we should all live together in a villiage with a giant bar in the middle. Wheres old benton mackaye when you need him eh?

TD55
08-24-2009, 20:45
The AT is a village. It's to long and stretched out for one bar in the middle. Thats why there is a long string of them.

stag3
08-25-2009, 14:58

I continue to think that doing the trail was the most important thing I've done in my life. It taught me that trails are important. ......

Weary

I don't understand this. Weary, your 80, and the trail was the most important thing you've done in your life. How could this be. Hiking is fun and sometimes meaningful, but is is not anywhere the most important thing in my life.

So I'm real curious how or why you rate the trail as most important, but then go on to say it is not of prime importance?

Stag3

Spokes
08-25-2009, 15:02
They say it takes five million steps to hike the AT but nobody ever tells you how many falls that includes....... sorta like life huh?

Regards,

Spokes