PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Hiker Technology Device

berninbush
08-19-2009, 19:47
I’ve been kicking around an idea for a while for the “ultimate hiker technology device”—something that combines all the features people in the wilderness might need, with specifications suitable for extended outdoor travel. This could be useful not only for hikers, but other outdoor athletes, sailors, etc. I think all these features exist in one device or another, but I’ve never seen them all combined.

Size: about the size of an iPhone

Power source: AA battery/ batteries. This gives maximum flexibility—the batteries can be replaced at resupply, or (if you get the rechargeable kind) charged within the device or in an external charger (including solar chargers or kinetic chargers).

Communications: Connects to the manufacturer’s proprietary network via satellite, cell tower, or WiFi, but ONLY when a button is pushed to activate the connection. (Obviously the manufacturer would need agreements with existing data networks.) Battery life is greatly extended by only seeking or generating signal in short bursts. The device does not have voice communication capabilities; it relies entirely on text message. This reduces the power requirements and allows the user to communicate with the outside world without annoying other people in the area. When the device is connected via satellite signal, it sends and receives messages in plain text using simple binary code, similar to what the SPOT Tracker does with its “OK” and “emergency” signals. The manufacturer provides a dedicated emergency contact number that locates the nearest rescue services in event of an emergency, and provides GPS coordinates as well as any message typed by the user.

GPS: provides and stores location as waypoints when communication button is activated.

Data storage: Maps, journals, photos, music, ebooks, and movies are stored on two removable SD cards. It is recommended that maps, music, ebooks, and movies be placed on one card, while journals and photos are placed on the other, so that the second card can be removed and mailed home if desired. The device has two SD slots so that both cards can be used simultaneously. Media can also be uploaded from or downloaded to the device when it is in a WiFi hot spot, or when it is connected to a computer by USB cable.

Data entry: The touch screen displays a keyboard to allow the user to send quick text messages on the go. For lengthier journal entries, an optional folding bluetooth keyboard may be carried.

Entertainment media: Stores and plays MP3s and movies. Contains AM/FM radio. Also stores ebooks for reading on the screen. All audio output is through headphones to avoid annoying others in the area and to save power.

Camera: Camera features of a quality point-and-shoot. High resolution, flash, zoom, red eye reduction, video, etc. Photos are time-stamped and also stamped with GPS coordinates if the communication button is activated when the picture is taken.

Other specifications: rugged, shockproof, waterproof, but still lightweight. Power cord is mini-USB where it connects to the device, and splits at the other end to USB or AC power so the unit can be plugged in to a computer or the wall.

What do you guys think? If this existed, would you buy it?

Foyt20
08-19-2009, 19:51
Sure... 3 for 4 easy payments of $29.99

Homer&Marje
08-19-2009, 19:54
I'd definitely put it on a christmas list:D Or wait ten years till the price is not $899 (estimate?)

berninbush
08-19-2009, 23:05
Ha! Since I have no means of manufacturing it, I couldn't begin to guess about price. But this doesn't really involve any new technology... it's just a new combination and use of what's already out there. So I don't think it would have to be too outrageously expensive.

How about a price tag of, say, $200?

David@whiteblaze
08-19-2009, 23:15
ok, i'd love to see some schematics so that we all know if it's feasible... rather lavish, don't know if all features are neccisary.

Jonnycat
08-19-2009, 23:17
I think if I wanted something like that, I'd stay home.

But that's just me....

David@whiteblaze
08-19-2009, 23:18
if this were made, i wouldn't need to be surrounded by a collage of electronics.

berninbush
08-19-2009, 23:28
David, I'd love to be told by an "expert" whether or not it's feasible, too! But in my very inexpert opinion, I think it should be. This actually has a lot fewer features than an iPhone. The iPhone runs like a mini-computer... it has a processor, surfs the internet, and of course it's a phone with full voice capabilities. This is a lot simpler in that regard.

The difference is, this has a satellite connection. I don't know how much space/weight that adds, but when you consider devices like the SPOT tracker, it seems like it shouldn't be too outrageous. Satellite *phones* are still rather bulky, but this is not going to be transmitting anything nearly so complicated. Just a simple "on" and "off" for binary code, to transmit text messages.

I guess iPhones don't have dual SD card slots either, but that shouldn't take up much room.

If you're just looking for features, the iPhone has a lot more. The strength of this is the ability to use it far from civilization due to the satellite signal and the steamlined power consumption.

Manwich
08-20-2009, 00:37
iPhone with a AA-battery recharger.

Maddog
08-20-2009, 03:40
ok, i'd love to see some schematics so that we all know if it's feasible... rather lavish, don't know if all features are neccisary.how about spell check? its a must have! :)

David@whiteblaze
08-20-2009, 09:23
how about spell check? its a must have! :)
i someetimess lkoze mi abcilityu to smell

Fiddleback
08-20-2009, 10:34
...and opened up to other carriers.

Cell phone and WiFi coverage on the trail is problematic but then...so is satellite access if the leaf cover is too dense or the canyon walls too high. And, I dunno, that may be a good thing...to be someplace where you can't be reached.:-?

FB

Maddog
08-20-2009, 10:40
i someetimess lkoze mi abcilityu to smelllol!!!!!!:D

The Weasel
08-20-2009, 11:51
I’ve been kicking around an idea for a while for the “ultimate hiker technology device”—something that combines all the features people in the wilderness might need, with specifications suitable for extended outdoor travel. This could be useful not only for hikers, but other outdoor athletes, sailors, etc. I think all these features exist in one device or another, but I’ve never seen them all combined.

What do you guys think? If this existed, would you buy it?

How sad.

TW

Summit
08-20-2009, 12:49
Sure... 3 for 4 easy payments of $29.99Missed the decimal placement there . . . more like $299.90 x 4 for such a device. The concept is definitely doable, it's just that the ROI for R&D vs. anticipated market share doesn't justify the effort.

brooklynkayak
08-20-2009, 13:31

Yes, many modern cellphone PDA's have most of those features. Phone, email, web, mp3 player, movie player, e-books, video camera, games, TV, GPS, and more...

But still nothing waterproof:mad:

The most feature rich are the Palm Pre and I-Phone, but more to come.

You can enable roaming, pay extra, but get reception in more places. Satellite is still too expensive for such use.

dloome
08-20-2009, 20:03
I wouldn't buy it, ever.

Just go hiking.

berninbush
08-22-2009, 09:17
Yes, many modern cellphone PDA's have most of those features.

...Satellite is still too expensive for such use.I'm not so sure satellite has to be too expensive for this use. They made it work for SPOT.

Many devices have these features, but most of them are not optimized for long battery life and easy battery recharging/ replacement in the wilderness. For example, most run on batteries that are not easily replaced in stores for the convenience of disposability. When's the last time you found a smart phone that ran on AA's?

I think the market for this device might be wider than you might think. It's not just about AT thru-hikers. Anyone who goes sailing at sea on small craft would love to have a satellite communication device as a backup for radio. People with all sorts of outdoor interests-- hunting, distance biking, canoeing, kayaking, dog sled racing-- might also find it attractive. And I don't think there's a whole lot of R&D needed here... it's all existing technologies that just need to be combined.

russb
08-22-2009, 09:23
I would consider it.

I would also recommend a few changes.

1. The a different button besides just the comm one to activate waypoint, time/location stamp etc... The comm button should only be necessary to connect to sattelite, etc...

2. If possible, use voice to text software for journaling. The voice data need not be saved only converted to text.

Jester2000
08-22-2009, 12:09
I think I would probably be too busy enjoying hiking to actually use such a thing. But I must say that my favorite part of the idea is that when it breaks, the owner has lost access to every piece of technology they're carrying.

That way, while they're lost with no maps and can't distract themselves from the creeping sense of terror they're feeling by watching a movie, they won't be able to text me to complain about it.

I imagine that's when the weeping will start.