PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks the Roller Coaster is hard?

fredmugs
08-20-2009, 08:33
My definition of hard: You cannot get to the top without having to stop. The Priest is hard. Climbing out of the NOC is hard (and fun!). Katahdin is hard.

If somebody didn't give this section a name it wouldn't even be disguishable.

Obviously you are going to take your normal breaks over a 10 mile stretch but none of the "climbs" should be the reason why.

Lone Wolf
08-20-2009, 08:34
it ain't ****. it's easy

Gray Blazer
08-20-2009, 08:44
It is very disguishable.

Kerosene
08-20-2009, 09:11
It is very disguishable.Disguishable?

Kerosene
08-20-2009, 09:15
I though the Rollercoaster was very easy, as I did Georgia, and even The Priest (SOBO, stopping only for breakfast on the flat rock two-thirds of the way up). I think that the NOBO ascent of Three Ridges would've been a lot harder, especially near the top as the switchbacks are fewer and ungraded. Of course, any climb lilke this is a lot harder if you're on the verge of heat exhaustion.

sly dog
08-20-2009, 09:43
Not as much hard as it's a pain in the a$$. All the up downs and no views.

Lemni Skate
08-20-2009, 09:45
I don't think the Roller Coaster is that tough for thru-hikers or in shape hikers, but I was on it this summer and it's tough for the slightly out of shape which makes up 95% of the people out there. I did read a lot of journal entries from thru-hikers "complaining" about it a little, but in my opinion Central Virginia and even SNP is tougher.

I would think if you were heading southbound the roller coaster would be a tough little workout after doing southern PA and Maryland.

CowHead
08-20-2009, 09:45
I think it was medium, I enjoy it allot, saw my first bear in the wild, met allot of great hikers on the trail. The Hostel and Trail center was awesome, water was cool and clear and the downhill descent into Harper's completed the hike

Alligator
08-20-2009, 10:01
I don't think the Roller Coaster is that tough for thru-hikers or in shape hikers, but I was on it this summer and it's tough for the slightly out of shape which makes up 95% of the people out there. I did read a lot of journal entries from thru-hikers "complaining" about it a little, but in my opinion Central Virginia and even SNP is tougher.

I would think if you were heading southbound the roller coaster would be a tough little workout after doing southern PA and Maryland.I had split up that section at Snickers Gap but did it all southbound. Heading southbound I found either the first or second climb that is north of Snickers to be a bit steep. I had my winter gear though and it was the end of the day. Other than that I did not find it hard.

neighbor dave
08-20-2009, 10:02
it's all in your head.

Skyline
08-20-2009, 10:10
There are many dozens of more difficult stretches on the AT than the Rollercoaster.

The cumulative effect of all those PUDS seem to wear some hikers down psychologically. The only time I found it tough was when I did it in upper 90s/high humidity conditions. It really sucked then. Of course, for NOBOs a pint of Ben & Jerrys at Bears Den Hostel near the northern part of the Coaster is something positive to focus on. What do the SOBOs focus on?

Face it, there really aren't that many "interesting" features on the AT to focus on between SNP and Harpers Ferry. So some hikers tend to focus on the Rollercoaster as a feature, albeit negatively.

Since the relo involving the Ovaka Farm was completed a few years ago (just west of Sky Meadows State Park, south of the Rollercoaster) that gives hikers something more positive to focus on between SNP>HF. It's almost like a mountaintop meadow, but not quite like a Tennessee bald. Very well done PATC!

Lyle
08-20-2009, 11:46
For all the old-timers out there who are more intimately familiar with northern Virginia than I am.

Is what is called the Rollercoaster today the same area that was called Devil's Racecourse back in the early '80's? I'm not referring to the area in PA.

If it is the same, then I did not find it all that difficult, and it should not be dreaded. By the same token, I also found the Climb out of NOC to be fun, but I did psych myself up to make it so.

I do remember The Priest to be a tough climb.

jersey joe
08-20-2009, 13:20
The roller coaster comes at a time for most through hikers when they are in great shape and really hitting their stride; the roller coaster isn't difficult at all.

Blissful
08-20-2009, 14:19
My definition of hard: You cannot get to the top without having to stop.

The rollercoaster was hard when we did it early for '07 because of endless ups and downs and we weren't in that great of shape. I mean they aren't so hard that you can't make it up each individual hill without stopping, obviously. But its up and down without much reward. Except we did it in the fall so it was pretty leaves.

I mean if I had to name every spot on the AT where I stopped before I got to the top to catch my breath, help the muscles recoup etc, that would be 40% the trail (!?)

Now the 30 mile Stecoah section is hard. Mentally.

And so is northern NH, southern ME. Physically and mentally.

Blissful
08-20-2009, 14:21
I do remember The Priest to be a tough climb.

Now see, that was no problem for me SOBO. But the Three Ridges NOBO was.

Blissful
08-20-2009, 14:23
it's all in your head.

Absolutely.

The trail is a mind ga-me.

trippclark
08-20-2009, 14:46
Now see, that was no problem for me SOBO. But the Three Ridges NOBO was.

It is really noteworthy how different sections are harder or easier for different folks. It probably has a lot to do with weather, pack weight, . . . even what they ate and drank the past several hours. I still remember the climb out of NOC as being very, very tough, and that was 7 years ago, yet it still sticks out in my mind. On the other hand, I just hiked Three Ridges last year and had mentally prepared for a similar encounter, but instead found it not overly difficult at all, and that was from stepping right out of a car door after a 9 hour drive (I'm not sure whether that makes it better or worse).

In two weeks I'll hike the section that inculdes The Rollercoaster and Devil's Racecourse. I can't wait. It ought to be fun!

Jack Tarlin
08-20-2009, 15:18
Well, compared too a lot of places, it's not too hard.

Compared to most of Virginia, it's a bit tougher.

I'm glad Lone Wolf thinks it's easy. :D

I'd be tempted to ask him when was the last time he actually hiked Northern Virginia, but he wouldn't answer anyway, so what's the point.

Lemni Skate had it pretty much right: If you're thru-hiking, it's not that difficult. On a section hike, it's kind of a challenge, especially if these are your first days out.

Lone Wolf
08-20-2009, 16:16
I'm glad Lone Wolf thinks it's easy. :D

I'd be tempted to ask him when was the last time he actually hiked Northern Virginia, but he wouldn't answer anyway, so what's the point.

i guess it's tough for you cuz you weigh 250 lbs. i last hiked no. va. 6 years ago. no biggie.

Bidwell
08-20-2009, 16:18
I am with Lone Wolf: myself and 3 other local VA ultra-runners ran it with Speedgoat during his record attempt last year during that tropical storm. It was cake.

Cookerhiker
08-20-2009, 16:37
Having section hiked the AT, I did the roller coaster on a day hike using my bicycle to ride from the ending point to the starting point. I didn't find the hike that difficult but of course, I only carried a day pack. On the other hand, the bike ride from Snickers Gap to Rt. 50 was much tougher.

Jack Tarlin
08-21-2009, 17:40
Geez, Wolf, you should lighten up or learn to read better. :D

I never said that the roller coaster was particularly tough for me.

What I pretty clearly said was that this section was definitely tougher than most of the rest of Virginia, and that while most thru-hikers weren't overly bothered by the section, it might be considered moderate-to-strenuous for folks just starting out.

Fact is, this certainly IS one of the more difficult stretches of Virginia, and if he'd hiked it more recently than 6 years ago, Wolf might even agree with me. But if it lives on in his memory as an easy stretch, well that's fine, too.

Egads
08-21-2009, 17:47
Just for giggles, how many feet of total elevation gain is in this section?

Jack Tarlin
08-21-2009, 17:52
Beats hell outta me. Ask Wolf, after all he's the guy who's done this section recently. :D

Egads
08-21-2009, 18:02
Just for giggles, how many feet of total elevation gain is in this section?

Beats hell outta me. Ask Wolf, after all he's the guy who's done this section recently. :D

Bet it isn't as bad as the Duncan Ridge Trail NOBO or even the Black Mountain Crest Trail SOBO

Tractor
08-21-2009, 19:23
I thought the little puds in Harpers Ferry were harder since it was late, I was tired hungry that evenin'.

Jester2000
08-21-2009, 20:09
I thought it was easy, but then again I did it while in an actual rollercoaster car being pushed by three other hikers.

Lone Wolf
08-23-2009, 10:53
Geez, Wolf, you should lighten up or learn to read better. :D

I never said that the roller coaster was particularly tough for me.

What I pretty clearly said was that this section was definitely tougher than most of the rest of Virginia, and that while most thru-hikers weren't overly bothered by the section, it might be considered moderate-to-strenuous for folks just starting out.

Fact is, this certainly IS one of the more difficult stretches of Virginia, and if he'd hiked it more recently than 6 years ago, Wolf might even agree with me. But if it lives on in his memory as an easy stretch, well that's fine, too.
it's NOT one of the most toughest stretches of Va. for your overweight butt it prolly is :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
08-23-2009, 10:54

it was same 23 years ago as it is today. easy

Jester2000
08-23-2009, 11:30
it's NOT one of the most toughest stretches of Va. for your overweight butt it prolly is :rolleyes:

You really need to stop checking out Jack's butt.

yaduck9
08-23-2009, 12:41
That is probably the most valuable "piece" of information I have read on this thread ;)

Downhill Trucker
08-24-2009, 04:59
I thought it was easy and I've done it a bunch. No views though... that kind stunk.

fredmugs
08-24-2009, 08:49
Since nobody really thinks this is hard it would be nice is people stopped telling newbies to avoid this section because it is so hard. This section is boring but would actually make a great start to any hike. The "climbs" are easy and by easy I mean they are not steep and don't last long. I think this would be a great section for the out of shape crowd to get their trail legs.

First time I hiked the AT we did Springer to Deep Gap. I remember that the climb at or near the NC border was a killer. Now that I'm an insane uber hiker I wonder if that climb would still be difficult.

Lyle
08-24-2009, 09:39
First time I hiked the AT we did Springer to Deep Gap. I remember that the climb at or near the NC border was a killer. Now that I'm an insane uber hiker I wonder if that climb would still be difficult.

Nope, you're right. The climb out of Bly Gap is a PAIN!! Just like a bunch of others. :D

Mental state - that's the ticket.

Cookerhiker
08-24-2009, 10:36
Nope, you're right. The climb out of Bly Gap is a PAIN!! Just like a bunch of others. :D

Mental state - that's the ticket.

I didn't find the hike out of Bly Gap as difficult as advertised. I had started at Springer so by the time we reached Bly, my legs and lungs were in better shape. Hiking out of Bly early on a very cold windy morning (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=55717), I was grateful to be moving and burning some energh to get warm.

But you're so right about "mental state." Psychologically, I expected the climb to be taxing, mostly after the account in Robert Rubin's On the Beaten Path describing his thruhike. He asserted it was tougher than any part of Georgia but personally, I found the ascent out of Testnatee Gap more difficult. As someone said elsewhere in this thread, it all so depends on time of day, state of mind, how much weight, weather - a myriad of factors.

Lyle
08-24-2009, 10:42
I didn't find the hike out of Bly Gap as difficult as advertised. I had started at Springer so by the time we reached Bly, my legs and lungs were in better shape. Hiking out of Bly early on a very cold windy morning (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=55717), I was grateful to be moving and burning some energh to get warm.

But you're so right about "mental state." Psychologically, I expected the climb to be taxing, mostly after the account in Robert Rubin's On the Beaten Path describing his thruhike. He asserted it was tougher than any part of Georgia but personally, I found the ascent out of Testnatee Gap more difficult. As someone said elsewhere in this thread, it all so depends on time of day, state of mind, how much weight, weather - a myriad of factors.

I also had started at Springer, but my hike out of Bly was on a hot, humid day. Also, I hadn't heard anything about it, so it took me by surprise. I thought it would never end.

Kerosene
08-24-2009, 12:09
I remember that the climb at or near the NC border was a killer. Now that I'm an insane uber hiker I wonder if that climb would still be difficult.I also found that climb (up Sharp Top and slabbing Courthouse Bald) to be surprisingly tough, and certainly tougher than anything I climbed since Amicalola. It was a warm spring day in early April 2004, and I had just powered up the hills from Dicks Creek Gap, breaking only for lunch at Bly Gap. Two-thirds of the way up I was sucking wind and had to stop several times the rest of the way. The trail was pretty easy after that, and I finished my section hike down at Standing Indian Campground that evening.

Gaiter
08-24-2009, 12:49
i liked the rollercoaster, as soon as you were getting tired of going up hill you started down and as soon as your feet start hurting from going down you start up....

RITBlake
08-24-2009, 13:15
My definition of hard: You cannot get to the top without having to stop. The Priest is hard. Climbing out of the NOC is hard (and fun!). Katahdin is hard.

If somebody didn't give this section a name it wouldn't even be disguishable.

Obviously you are going to take your normal breaks over a 10 mile stretch but none of the "climbs" should be the reason why.

If I hadn't read about it in the guidebook or seen the signs I probably wouldn't have known it was a 'special' stretch of trail. By that time SOBO's are lean and mean and nothing really phases them.

Newb
08-24-2009, 15:14
I busted my ass on some ice just south of Rod Hollow Shelter last January. I found that piece of the trail to be very HARD...butt-wise that is.

trippclark
09-09-2009, 09:27
It is really noteworthy how different sections are harder or easier for different folks. It probably has a lot to do with weather, pack weight, . . . even what they ate and drank the past several hours. I still remember the climb out of NOC as being very, very tough, and that was 7 years ago, yet it still sticks out in my mind. On the other hand, I just hiked Three Ridges last year and had mentally prepared for a similar encounter, but instead found it not overly difficult at all, and that was from stepping right out of a car door after a 9 hour drive (I'm not sure whether that makes it better or worse).

In two weeks I'll hike the section that inculdes The Rollercoaster and Devil's Racecourse. I can't wait. It ought to be fun!

Okay, I can now respond to this thread with a very fresh perspective having just stepped off the rollercoaster about 40 hours ago. This was the third of three 18 mile days (perhaps that was part of the challenge). I started at Rod Hollow Shelter and finished almost 12 hours later at Blackburn. The previous two days of similar distance took under 10 hours to complete. The temperature rose to the low 80's and it rained for the last hour. I can tell you that after reading through this thread before the trip that I underestimated the rollercoaster and that, as I told the folks at Bears Den, "I respect the rollercoaster." As Skyline pointed out earlier, it is the cumulative effect that gets to you -- or at least got to me. I found that I was probably as worn down after that 18 mile day (with included the 13 miles of the rollercoaster) as I was on a 27 mile day from my previous trip over much more moderate terrain. I agree that there are certainly many more tough climbs further south, but the rollercoaster does stand out as distinct and does present a good challenge -- or it did for me.

wolf
09-10-2009, 21:03
pain is a state of mind

weary
09-13-2009, 10:01
Not as much hard as it's a pain in the a$$. All the up downs and no views.
No views? In 1993 I saw a lot of interesting -- even pretty -- trees. A variety of mushrooms. Lots of summer flowers. A deer or two. A variety of smaller wildlife. Numerous birds. Even a pretty girl.

BTW, I had read the guidebook (Wingfoot's was the only one available then) and kept expecting some difficulty -- and suddenly I was in Harpers Ferry.

Weary

Toolshed
09-13-2009, 10:28
Okay, I can now respond to this thread with a very fresh perspective having just stepped off the rollercoaster about 40 hours ago. This was the third of three 18 mile days (perhaps that was part of the challenge). I started at Rod Hollow Shelter and finished almost 12 hours later at Blackburn. The previous two days of similar distance took under 10 hours to complete. The temperature rose to the low 80's and it rained for the last hour. I can tell you that after reading through this thread before the trip that I underestimated the rollercoaster and that, as I told the folks at Bears Den, "I respect the rollercoaster." As Skyline pointed out earlier, it is the cumulative effect that gets to you -- or at least got to me. I found that I was probably as worn down after that 18 mile day (with included the 13 miles of the rollercoaster) as I was on a 27 mile day from my previous trip over much more moderate terrain. I agree that there are certainly many more tough climbs further south, but the rollercoaster does stand out as distinct and does present a good challenge -- or it did for me.

I think I was right behind (or in front of) you? I headed out Sunday afternoon (9/6) from Chester Gap and spent Sunday night at Denton shelter and then did an ~18 mile day to Rod Hollow Shelter Where I spent Monday night (9/7) and Started the Coaster on Tuesday (9/8). I stayed at Bears Den on Tuesday night and then finished the coaster and made it to Harpers Ferry on Wednesday (9/9). there were two other guys from Michigan that Started at Rod Hollow before dawn on Tuesday, (9/8) and finished at Blackburn Tuesday night.
I found I was pretty tired by the time I got to Bears Den. I think the humidity had a lot to do with it. I was continuously sopping wet with sweat all day and despite drinking 5 liters of water that day, hadn't been able to pee all day. Otherwise, Had I not previously mentally decided to go for the cold cokes, ice cream and a nice cold shower at Bears Den, I would have probably ended up at Blackburn by dark.

trippclark
09-13-2009, 11:48
I think I was right behind (or in front of) you?

Yep, it sounds like you were just behind me. I spent Saturday night at Denton Shelter and you were there on Sunday. You are right, it was hot and humid. There is no doubt that contributed to the difficulty of the Rollercoaster. In spite of -- or maybe partially because of -- the challenge, it was a fun section.

sly dog
09-17-2009, 10:11
No views? In 1993 I saw a lot of interesting -- even pretty -- trees. A variety of mushrooms. Lots of summer flowers. A deer or two. A variety of smaller wildlife. Numerous birds. Even a pretty girl.

BTW, I had read the guidebook (Wingfoot's was the only one available then) and kept expecting some difficulty -- and suddenly I was in Harpers Ferry.

Weary

I said views not sights. To each their own but those other things I can find in any patch of woods even near my house. I hike the AT cuz it is ridge line hiking with views. If I go up it is nice to enjoy the view from the top. But thats me.

volleypc
09-17-2009, 13:09
I had difficulties because I did not keep my calorie count up for a few days heading into it and I did not eat enough that day. By the time I reached Harpers Ferry I was spent. I stayed two days and ate everything in site. It is not hard, but it is misleading the effort used so you need to make sure your calorie intake is high during this stretch.

Jester2000
09-17-2009, 13:25
By the time I reached Harpers Ferry I was spent. I stayed two days and ate everything in site. . .

This is true. Volleypc ate EVERYTHING. After volleypc stayed here Harpers Ferry experienced food shortages so severe that FEMA had to get involved.

weary
09-18-2009, 22:58
I said views not sights. To each their own but those other things I can find in any patch of woods even near my house. I hike the AT cuz it is ridge line hiking with views. If I go up it is nice to enjoy the view from the top. But thats me.
Whatever. My 10th edition Merriam Webster Collegiate dictionary -- which I bought on a remainder table mostly because so many posters on sites like this questioned my use of words -- describes "view" as being "the act of seeing." It seems to make no dictinction between views and sights.

But then, what do I know. I can only observe, describe, and buy dictionaries.

What do you do, you "sly dog."

Weary

warraghiyagey
09-18-2009, 23:03
It seems to make no dictinction between views and sights.

What's dictinction?? It sounds naughty. . . or maybe like a particualr rash medication. . . .

weary
09-18-2009, 23:21
What's dictinction?? It sounds naughty. . . or maybe like a particualr rash medication. . . .
Get a life, warraghiyagey!!!

Toolshed
09-19-2009, 11:56
Dictinction... a Medication - Tinction of Iodine for you d*ck?

10-K
09-19-2009, 12:30
If I hadn't known I was in the area known as "The rollercoaster" I would not have even thought twice about that section.. It's like a lot of trail -up, down, repeat....

Toolshed
09-19-2009, 17:50
I considered it more of a Chinese Dragon as I was hiking it.

sly dog
09-20-2009, 19:59
Sorry. I dont need to look up meanings to prove points, I have better things to do with my time. All I am saying is what views mean to me and many others. Go put your nose back in the book and find someone else to correct. I bet you and MS are good buds. Go find em.

Egads
09-20-2009, 20:15
Whatever. My 10th edition Merriam Webster Collegiate dictionary -- which I bought on a remainder table mostly because so many posters on sites like this questioned my use of words -- describes "view" as being "the act of seeing." It seems to make no dictinction between views and sights.

But then, what do I know. I can only observe, describe, and buy dictionaries.

What do you do, you "sly dog."

Weary

Weary, the denotation is obviously long views from the ridge top to the valleys below that are available only after the leaves fall off the trees. No need to split hairs with Sly Dog

Father Dragon
09-20-2009, 20:57
I guess it all depends on you point of view now doesn't it ...:cool:

Father Dragon
09-20-2009, 20:59
I guess it all depends on your point of view now doesn't it ...:cool:

fixed .................................................. .................................................. ...............

rambunny
09-20-2009, 21:27
If you don't have a ticket don't go on the ride!!!! Luved it!!!

Bare Bear
09-22-2009, 17:51
I found the Roller Coaster to be easier than I had been told.............just boring.
BTW I have done it several times now and the secret to that killer coming out of NOC is to not stay at NOC sucking beers, hit a good lunch at the AYCE or try their veggie burger then go on for a few miles before dark. Then you camp and have a much easier hike on up the next morning.

Toolshed
09-22-2009, 20:38
I found the Roller Coaster to be easier than I had been told.............just boring.
BTW I have done it several times now and the secret to that killer coming out of NOC is to not stay at NOC sucking beers, hit a good lunch at the AYCE or try their veggie burger then go on for a few miles before dark. Then you camp and have a much easier hike on up the next morning.
NOC is near the Rollercoaster? You must be doing some really big miles huh??:banana