PDA

View Full Version : WhiteBlaze History

The Weasel
08-20-2009, 11:41
The other day I read ATTroll's history of how WhiteBlaze got started, and it reminded me of September 2002 when the site actually began. I've posted my recollection of some of the things that happened then a few times, and why WhiteBlaze got going (and how), but the other day I went looking for other remininscences and didn't find many (actually, none). There are still quite a few of the early members from September to December 2002, and maybe this would be a good time for any of them (or anyone else) to put down things they recall about why and how WB got going. This isn't just another website; it's a place where a lot of friendships have been made, and a lot more than a "what kind of gear, how do I hike" info site. Or so some of us think.

If you have any recollections about the start of WhiteBlaze, it would be interesting to see them.

The Weasel

Lone Wolf
08-20-2009, 12:16
i joined in nov. 02. i hardly remember last week. but i do remember WB being fun. not now though

Lugnut
08-20-2009, 12:29
I was here at the start also and you are both right. It "used" to be fun. It seems that now a couple persons have claimed de facto rule and often use it at their whim. It's still the number one site for info but a little fun wouldn't hurt a thing. Of course this thread will no doubt be deleted.

The Weasel
08-20-2009, 12:30
This thread shouldn't be to criticise anyone. LW and Lug: How was it "fun"? What made you join it? How did it function then?

TW

The Weasel
08-20-2009, 12:36
i joined in nov. 02. i hardly remember last week. but i do remember WB being fun. not now though

As I recall, you joined because you'd been heaved out of the other site a few dozen (exaggeration but you know what I mean) times and joined here because we were pretty tolerant. :D (Sometimes I haven't been, including you, but I'm glad you've stuck with it, LW!)

TW

Lugnut
08-20-2009, 12:37
This thread shouldn't be to criticise anyone. LW and Lug: How was it "fun"? What made you join it? How did it function then?

TW
It was fun because it was new and new things are usually fun. It was also fun because Trailplace wasn't any more, not that it ever was. It was a gear site with WF political slant. I do appreciate the no politics aspect of WB but miss the free wheeling of old.

Rain Man
08-20-2009, 12:42
I joined in '03 within the first year of WB starting and what I liked was that the posters were more substantial, like Youngblood and Uncle Wayne, and the testosterone and nonsense levels were just about non-existent. I agree with Lone Wolf, it was more fun then. Still, WB is the best Internet site I know of for AT enthusiasts and I've enjoyed making many friends through WB and meeting many WBers on the trail.

I always get a chuckle when someone posts about preferring "WB the way it used to be" and they weren't even around when WB was the way it used to be. They only mean a few months ago sometimes. LOL

Rain:sunMan

Jeff
08-20-2009, 12:44
Joined in Sep 2002. Whiteblaze filled a void and has helped thousands of hikers.

If not for WB I am sure I would have missed Dutch Haus, The Cabin, Mountain Harbor Hostel and Standing Bear Hostel. What a shame if I hiked on by those fantastic spots.

emerald
08-20-2009, 13:18
Anyone who has specific recollections and can compare the early years with the present might make a useful contribution by posting links to examples of what's thought to be different and somehow better. All that comes through for me and maybe others too is a longing for something now gone which those who weren't there can't grasp, not having been there.

Atbakpakr
08-20-2009, 13:30
This is my original account. I do not use it anymore. I post under the account ShakeyLeggs. This account I joined in April 03. ShakeyLeggs account was made in Dec 03. I just broke out this old account so that I would be posting on my oldest account on this thread.

I have been here a while. I have seen folks come and go. Some stay. Whiteblaze goes through periods of up and down. As do all forums. I feel we are in a down time at the moment. Give it time it will be back to it's old self. I have had good times and bad times over the years. Mostly good though.

tlbj6142
08-20-2009, 13:33
I miss Easy's random drunken posts. I use to get up early just to see what he left over night before Troll had a chance to remove all the posts.

tlbj6142
08-20-2009, 13:45
Anyone with specific recollections who can compare past and present might make a useful contributionI think the big difference is we had a smaller group of regulars (and only a very, very few with egos) that weren't at each other's throats all the time. And the little bit of "conflict" (either personality or trail-wise) was very, very minor by today's standard.

Blissful
08-20-2009, 14:26
i do remember WB being fun. not now though

Define "fun." ?

I've only been here since '05.

Lugnut
08-20-2009, 14:43
I miss Easy's random drunken posts. I use to get up early just to see what he left over night before Troll had a chance to remove all the posts.

Now that was fun! :D

tlbj6142
08-20-2009, 14:46
SmokeyMtnSteve was cool as well. Is he still around, or did AK finally get the best of him?

max patch
08-20-2009, 14:59

This is tame compared to the old days:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6799&noignore=0&postid=12301#post12301

Jester2000
08-20-2009, 15:22
I joined in the fall of '03. I had been a member of hobocentral but had never been on trailplace. Here are some of my entries from the "early days":

I witnessed Earl's remarks concerning Grandma Gatewood, and let me tell you, the room fell so silent you could hear the paint drying on the chairs you're not allowed to sit on. Of course, it's entirely possible that he just hadn't had his daily vinegar yet and was cranky. He sure wasn't joking, though.

Love Shaw's. Incredible people and a wonderful place. But a recommendation -- don't ask for Work for Stay if they're about to slaughter the cow.

Just outside of Philly: 50 degrees, windy but dry. Possible chance of a halibut storm early Sunday morning.

Trail Days is in Damascus. Flights to the Middle East should be pretty cheap, so book now.

I know at least three or four hikers who have taken well to a leash. As for Blisters question, the pliers are sexual in nature and have nothing to do with the dog.

Jumble Jowls is just showboating. He's a writer for the Weekly World News.
Can't wait for the part where the bear spreads his huge, scale-covered, dragon-like wings. . .

I carry at least 10 feet. I use it all, too. I prefer red 3M Duct Tape, and oozing seems to be more of a problem for my feet than my tape. I tend to wrap it around my Travel Jim Beam bottle, but if you don't have one of those you could wrap it around your Travel Captain Morgan bottle.

There seems to be a fair number of threads about bear, so I'm sure you already got the info you need, but in case not:

-- no grizzlies, as their sensitive olfactory systems are offended by hikers
-- there's a bear in the zoo in Bear Mountain, NY
-- ticks scare me more than bears
-- especially humungous bear-sized ones
-- you're not going to see a bear every day, or anything, but you'll probably see a few. I saw them in NC, PA, NJ, and MA (the last one was running down the street in Dalton, Mass. as we sat on Tom's porch)

Moose do not exist. The existence of Moose was a practical joke thought up by a couple of Canadians, picked up and used as a marketing tool by Moosehead beer, and later appropriated by New England state tourism boards.

Those who claim to "have seen a moose" or to have "eaten moose steaks" are either part of the conspiracy or the unknowing dupes of those who are.

But Bigfoot's real.

The current breed of hiker is soft only if you cook him correctly.

The Weasel
08-20-2009, 16:09
SmokeyMtnSteve was cool as well. Is he still around, or did AK finally get the best of him?

He's still out there, and still being Steve. Has a cute roomie that looks like a permanent fixture.

Yeah, some of the things he used to post about might not make it today, but they were fun, too. Sort of like Hunter Thompson without the guns, although that's hard to picture, I know.

TW

Kerosene
08-20-2009, 16:12
I've been here since close to the beginning. I've never participated for the "fun" as much as being able to help others and get help from others. I've hiked sections with a few members (Hikerhead and walkerat99), and it's neat to run across other WBers on the Trail. I don't tend to read many of the diatribes and arguments, and frankly find them intrusive and unconstructive in general. Of course, the moderators go overboard at times, but the posters do with more regularity. I've never been "moderated", but then again, I'm careful about what posts I respond to and how. Hey, it's just a bulletin board about hiking the AT!

sherrill
08-20-2009, 16:21
I joined in March 03. One thing that sticks in my mind is reading Jack and Warren's posts to each other.

The Weasel
08-20-2009, 16:30
What was special to you about Jack and Warren't posts?

Lone Wolf
08-20-2009, 16:32
What was special to you about Jack and Warren't posts?

the way warren would say very little and jack would fly off the friggin' handle for hours with long hatred posts

The Weasel
08-20-2009, 16:34
I'd forgotten. The more things change....

I just looked, by the way, and one of my first posts (a) praised you for your hiking skills and (b) wasnt sure if you were "he" or "she"!:D

TW

tlbj6142
08-20-2009, 16:45
I don't tend to read many of the diatribes and arguments, and frankly find them intrusive and unconstructive in general.That is what was missing from the "old days" that made them "better". Sure there was a some banter, but it wasn't anywhere near as ugly as it is today.

FWIW, Jack isn't an old timer on WB. He actually hiked back then....:D

tlbj6142
08-20-2009, 16:48
the way warren would say very little and jack would fly off the friggin' handle for hours with long hatred postsThat truely was funny the first 2-3 times.

But I honestly think that was the beginning of "dark days" of WB, when Jack stopped hiking and spent more time on WB. And I really don't think it would have happened if Warren never posted here. But their oil vs water relationship spilled over into way too much stuff on this site.

warren doyle
08-20-2009, 17:06
the way warren would say very little and jack would fly off the friggin' handle for hours with long hatred posts

Now that was fun!

The Weasel
08-20-2009, 17:13
***FWIW, Jack isn't an old timer on WB. He actually hiked back then....:D

FWIW, Jack was one of the very first members of WB. He was here in early December, 2002, if not before that.

TW

max patch
08-20-2009, 17:21
But I honestly think that was the beginning of "dark days" of WB, when Jack stopped hiking and spent more time on WB.

Wow, I really can't believe you said that. Jack has helped more people actually hike than anybody else on this site. Easily the best source of useable information for first time thru hikers than anyone else here. The signal to noise ratio of this site would dramatically increase if everyone posted using Jack as an example.

Lone Wolf
08-20-2009, 17:24
Wow, I really can't believe you said that. Jack has helped more people actually hike than anybody else on this site. Easily the best source of useable information for first time thru hikers than anyone else here. The signal to noise ratio of this site would dramatically increase if everyone posted using Jack as an example.

and i can't believe you said that! :rolleyes:

Red Hat
08-20-2009, 17:43
I joined in Feb 2003, before I had ever stepped a foot on the AT. I have done more than half and have made a lot of friends here at WB. Love Jack, Love Warren, and even love Lone Wolf. Guess I just love hikers! (even when they don't like each other)

tlbj6142
08-20-2009, 17:51
Wow, I really can't believe you said that. Jack has helped more people actually hike than anybody else on this site. Easily the best source of useable information for first time thru hikers than anyone else here. The signal to noise ratio of this site would dramatically increase if everyone posted using Jack as an example.You missed the point. Until Jack started blowing up about Warren's posts, we had a very quite board. It was, IMO, Jack v Warren show that caused folks to start taking sides. And name calling those who were on one side or the other even on subjects that nothing to do with J or W.

Jack is a great resoruce and helped many. His venom towards Warren hurt this board.

And while Jack may have had an account on WB for a long time, he only posted a handfull of messages a year back then. It really wasn't until he stopped hiking that he started really being an active member of the board.

chief
08-20-2009, 18:37
Interesting thread, Weasel. Since a lot of oldies have already posted and I don't want to get into personalities (where this thread seems to be heading), I thought I'd do some members searching and see what I get.

I've confined the numbers to members who joined Sep thru Dec 2002 as Weasel originally laid out in his post.

Total Members - 425

Members who never posted - 196

Members who last posted in....

2002 - 42
2003 - 36
2004 - 18
2005 - 15
2006 - 17
2007 - 14
2008 - 21
2009 - 66 - to date - at the time I did the search

Number of posts:

0 - 196
1 to 10 - 92
11 to 100 - 62
101 to 500 - 39
501 to 1000 - 10
1001 to 5000 - 20
5001 to 10000+ - 3

Yep, there have been a lot of changes and as you can see, a lot of attrition in the class of 2002.

Skyline
08-20-2009, 18:38
When did Jack stop hiking?

Jester2000
08-20-2009, 18:43
When did Jack stop hiking?

He's never stopped hiking. Well, that's not true. He stops hiking all the time. In fact, I think it's safe to say that he has stopped hiking every year since he started hiking.

Red Hat
08-20-2009, 18:44
Now, that's interesting Chief! I guess the most surprising is that nearly half of the early members never even posted! I'm not one of the "early" members since it was another two months before I joined, but it took me five years to do 1000 posts. Guess I'm just quiet and shy...

chief
08-20-2009, 18:48
Now, that's interesting Chief! I guess the most surprising is that nearly half of the early members never even posted! I'm not one of the "early" members since it was another two months before I joined, but it took me five years to do 1000 posts. Guess I'm just quiet and shy...Look at me, I did join in 2002 and I'm still in the 400s. Quiet and shy are sometimes good things!

Jester2000
08-20-2009, 18:50
. . . But I honestly think that was the beginning of "dark days" of WB, when Jack stopped hiking and spent more time on WB. And I really don't think it would have happened if Warren never posted here. But their oil vs water relationship spilled over into way too much stuff on this site.

Then the days of sunshine and light must have been confined to a very small time period.

The first instance I found (and there may be older ones) of the classic formula of "Warren Doyle makes a statement, Jack Tarlin makes a critical comment about that statement, Lone Wolf criticizes Jack's decision to make a critical comment" was in September of '03 (pronounced, for the sake of old-timeyness, as "aught-three"). Bang, bang, bang -- three posts in a row.

The good old days may have been good and old, but they don't seem to have lasted as long as some might think.

Pacific Tortuga
08-20-2009, 18:54
Guess I'm just quiet and shy...[/quote]

Now that does sound like many Texas gals I have ever known.
You must have been raised to be a southern lady

chief
08-20-2009, 18:56
Now, that's interesting Chief! I guess the most surprising is that nearly half of the early members never even posted! I'm not one of the "early" members since it was another two months before I joined, but it took me five years to do 1000 posts. Guess I'm just quiet and shy...
It looks like the percentage who never posted follows the entire membership regardless of when joined. I get 21887 total members and 11947 who never posted.

Note: there is a rather large discrepancy with total members on the Member List and what is reported in Forum Stats.

tlbj6142
08-20-2009, 19:01
When did Jack stop hiking?He stopped thru-hiking at some point. Maybe he's resumed, I don't know, but "back then" he had been doing his 5-6 in a row and then stopped.

I want to clear up my Jack comments a bit more. From what I recall, prior to the "J v W Megathread" (someone look that up!) there were arguments on WB. After the megathread, there were hostilities. Is Jack fault, no. He served as a catalyst. Plus it was probably a election year....:eek: Even "back then" things heated up a bit during election years, but nothing like they have in the past 4-5 years.

Sleepy the Arab
08-20-2009, 19:28
I joined in the fall of '03. I had been a member of hobocentral but had never been on trailplace. Here are some of my entries from the "early days":

You used to be funny. What the heck happened? Old and bitter like the rest of us?

rickb
08-20-2009, 19:40

Yup, it was pithier back then.

One poster could make a joke about flannel shirts and bull moose and another could feign righteous indignation. Great fun.

Or an innocent mention of Big Mary (the elephant they hung along the AT) could become a evening's entertainment.

Too little pith, now.

Too much worship on now on mechanics of hiking now, and paint by numbers stuff to be as much fun.

Blue Jay
08-20-2009, 19:47
There are still quite a few of the early members from September to December 2002, and maybe this would be a good time for any of them (or anyone else) to put down things they recall about why and how WB got going. This isn't just another website; .............and a lot more than a "what kind of gear, how do I hike" info site.

If you have any recollections about the start of WhiteBlaze, it would be interesting to see them.

It was wild, crazy free speech, by far the best use of the web I've ever seen. Believe it or not no one got hurt, people argued, but newsflash, people clearly love to argue. All human culture is based on arguments. A chess game is form of argument. A sports competition is a form of argument. Fictional and true stories, books, film, plays and TV are forms of argument. Good guys VS. villains. Ban arguments or brutally control them you kill the humanity. You get gear blah blah blah or blah blah spam spam gear spam, only without the spam.:welcome

Blissful
08-20-2009, 19:51
I joined in Feb 2003, before I had ever stepped a foot on the AT. I have done more than half and have made a lot of friends here at WB. Love Jack, Love Warren, and even love Lone Wolf. Guess I just love hikers! (even when they don't like each other)

Nicely said.

Blissful
08-20-2009, 20:01
Too much worship on now on mechanics of hiking now, and paint by numbers stuff to be as much fun.

Is that so bad?

And paint by numbers is lots of fun. You can create some neat and beautiful pictures, even if you have no talent at all, out of a white space of nothingness filled with numerals. If WB is doing that when in the past maybe it was one huge empty space of numbers (and maybe tasteless jokes and words), then maybe that's a good thing. It's all a matter of how you look at it, I guess.

The Weasel
08-20-2009, 20:32
Interesting thread, Weasel. Since a lot of oldies have already posted and I don't want to get into personalities (where this thread seems to be heading), I thought I'd do some members searching and see what I get.

I've confined the numbers to members who joined Sep thru Dec 2002 as Weasel originally laid out in his post.

Total Members - 425

Members who never posted - 196

Members who last posted in....

2002 - 42
2003 - 36
2004 - 18
2005 - 15
2006 - 17
2007 - 14
2008 - 21
2009 - 66 - to date - at the time I did the search

Number of posts:

0 - 196
1 to 10 - 92
11 to 100 - 62
101 to 500 - 39
501 to 1000 - 10
1001 to 5000 - 20
5001 to 10000+ - 3

Yep, there have been a lot of changes and as you can see, a lot of attrition in the class of 2002.

Absolutely fascinating. Thanks, Chief!

I'd be interested in some of our thoughts about how/why WB was started and drew your interest. And I hope that there isn't much about 'personalities', other than "this happened" kind of thing, since this isn't a place (I hope) to revisit old flame wars.

As for Jack, well, he was bouncing back and forth between here and TP in 2002, depending on when he had been banned from TP. TP was, of course, at that time the dominant AT site, so he posted there a lot more.

TW

neighbor dave
08-20-2009, 20:50
life's too short:-?

Lone Wolf
08-20-2009, 20:53
life's too short:-?

for what? (too short message)

neighbor dave
08-20-2009, 20:55
bitching about a stupid hiking website, i mean "it's just walkin'":-?

Summit
08-20-2009, 22:08
I'd be interested in some of our thoughts about how/why WB was started and drew your interest.I was instantly drawn to Lone Wolf . . . it was love at no sight . . . probably better that way! :p And then there's . . . Blue Jay, better leave that for another day! :eek:

weary
08-20-2009, 22:09
I jumped in a year after the start, (Dec. 2003) so Im not a pioneer. But the bitterness (bigotry?) was well underway. I was attacked for saying something good about Wingfoot, and blasted for praising AMC's acquisition of the 37,000 acres including the land surrounding some of the trail corridor in the 100 mile "wilderness."

FWIW, none of the dire things predicted by some white blazers about AMC's new ownership have happened. Though the ire continued for another year. When the club gave me a distinguished service award in 2004 -- in part because it thought I was responsible for the recovery of 400,000 acres of long forgotten public land in Maine -- some white blazers thought that was evidence that I had been bought off with praise, or some such nonsense.

Like most institutions, White Blaze has evolved over the years. I personally preferred the free debate of the earlier years to the control that occurs now whenever something arises that stirs emotions and anger.

I don't mind being criticized. I do mind it when I listen to a discussion through many posts, and finally decide to express an opinion, only to find the thread has been closed.

This is not a rare occurence. It's happened so many times that I've finally learned to check the "quote" parenthesizes.

Weary

Lone Wolf
08-20-2009, 22:09
I was instantly drawn to Lone Wolf . . . it was love at no sight . . . probably better that way! :p

i'm frickin' flattered

Wise Old Owl
08-20-2009, 22:15
..................Self edited.

Bearpaw
08-20-2009, 22:27
I barely knew what the internet was in 2002, let alone WB...:confused:

Summit
08-20-2009, 22:33
i'm frickin' flatteredYeah, even though we disagree about a lot of things :D you're cool! :) We'd probably get along great hiking together because we probably agree about the important things, family, loved ones and such.

The Weasel
08-20-2009, 22:37
i'm frickin' flattered

I praised you first. Back when it wasn't clear if you were a guy or a girl. Most of us now think you're a guy. Yeah, WB has evolved. :D

TW

Wise Old Owl
08-20-2009, 22:43
ouch.......

Lone Wolf
08-20-2009, 22:49
I praised you first. Back when it wasn't clear if you were a guy or a girl. Most of us now think you're a guy. Yeah, WB has evolved. :D

TW

ouch.......

he's been living in a gay place for a long time. makes one wonder :-?

Lugnut
08-20-2009, 22:50
LW is being praised by Summit AND Weasel? What's this all about? Who's keeping score? :eek:

The Weasel
08-20-2009, 22:58
he's been living in a gay place for a long time. makes one wonder :-?

LW is being praised by Summit AND Weasel? What's this all about? Who's keeping score? :eek:

That was in 2002, before I moved west from Michigan, and before I knew her as well as I do now. ;)

TW

Lugnut
08-20-2009, 23:02
That was in 2002, before I moved west from Michigan, and before I knew her as well as I do now. ;)

TW

Well, she is a beauty. :D

The Weasel
08-20-2009, 23:15
Legs aren't shaved, though.

TW

A-Train
08-20-2009, 23:17
Then the days of sunshine and light must have been confined to a very small time period.

The first instance I found (and there may be older ones) of the classic formula of "Warren Doyle makes a statement, Jack Tarlin makes a critical comment about that statement, Lone Wolf criticizes Jack's decision to make a critical comment" was in September of '03 (pronounced, for the sake of old-timeyness, as "aught-three"). Bang, bang, bang -- three posts in a row.

The good old days may have been good and old, but they don't seem to have lasted as long as some might think.

Not to be outdone by the classical formula where Unsuspecting Billville member announces trail magic event/party, then Wolf/pick your favorite curmudgeon would harp about how this was the end of classical thru-hiking and purity and that these events were the equivalent of choking baby seals. Then Jack/various Billville member would heroically defend the event and invite said detractor or would tell said detractor not to come. Rinse, Repeat, serve over ice (just come back to clean up your cooler afterwards!)

Jim Adams
08-21-2009, 00:35
It was wild, crazy free speech, by far the best use of the web I've ever seen. Believe it or not no one got hurt, people argued, but newsflash, people clearly love to argue. All human culture is based on arguments. A chess game is form of argument. A sports competition is a form of argument. Fictional and true stories, books, film, plays and TV are forms of argument. Good guys VS. villains. Ban arguments or brutally control them you kill the humanity. You get gear blah blah blah or blah blah spam spam gear spam, only without the spam.:welcome

:-?So true! Now it becomes more boring by the day. I used to look forward to jumping on and reading all the new topics and entries. IMO, soon it will be the same non hiking, non knowing posters politely disagreeing but appologetically smiling to each other just to keep from being censored. If it wasn't for Lone Wolf's quick wit this place would be an advertisement for bordom! See ya.

geek

Pedaling Fool
08-21-2009, 08:34
Agree

I ain’t no veteran, but I’ve been around long enough to see (some) of the more spirited debates on all subjects. I have to admit I miss that period of time.

Lately, after many deletions of posts/threads, I’ve been losing interest in WB. My last thread was deleted and that really sucked my last bit of interest. So now I just do a quick review of threads, but with very little interest, because so much of the plain old hiking questions/issues are like a revolving door.

I know this is not a freedom of speech issue and I know this is how the owners want it and I have no problem with that decision, just sayin’ I’m not interested anymore, I hope that will change.

Skyline
08-21-2009, 09:28
It's the Dog Days of Summer! Hot, humid along most of the AT. We're experiencing doldrums. Them that's hiking the AT this year are well on their way or even finished; planning for 2010 has hit a lull, and/or the same old questions are being asked and answered.

There's just not much drama right now. Somebody start some, or we'll all have to tune into The Young & The Restless.

Reid
08-21-2009, 10:02
From hearing everyone hear it sounds to me like WB is going the centurist route. Just like any good campaign would do if it were unbalanced. I don't kiss anybodies ass either, you could be the president for all I care, I aint kissing ass like some of you around here.

Reid
08-21-2009, 10:09
If I have a real technique issue or need some reviews or get the good info I go to BPL.com. I enjoy reading trail journals. But the WB I enjoy as a community of hikers, though not often seen. If I were to go tell someone out on the street that I've hiked over 370 miles of the A.T. they would be astounded. If I told someone on WB that I've hiked 370 miles of the A.T. they would not be that impressed. It's the kinship of people's enjoyment for the A.T. that I myself come to WB for.

sherrill
08-21-2009, 10:15
How about when Rick/attroll put WB on time out for a few days? Remember that? :D

The Weasel
08-21-2009, 11:18
How about when Rick/attroll put WB on time out for a few days? Remember that? :D

Yes. When was it?

TW

The Weasel
08-21-2009, 11:29

I think, BlueJay, you have identified very well,what the character of WB was for the first couple of years. Many threads just became long conversations among people, joining and dropping out, much as they are when you're sitting at a shelter eating supper. That was part of the delight, I think. TrailPlace was, at the time more like going into Walasi-Yi: You asked your questions about gear, about places on the trail, about where to get a room and a meal, and you got good answers, but if you spent too much time on things that weren't part of "the shop", you were asked to leave (or just pushed out). And a lot of us just wanted to share thoughts and ideas and feelings with friends, so there was a lot of thread drift, redundancy, and wandering, as well as sometimes interesting bickering. None of that ever happened at TP, nor was it really allowed. That was inherent in how the sites operated: TP was intensely moderated, with Wingfoot making it clear that he wouldn't tolerate TOS (his TOS, as was his right) violations. WB, on the other hand, was always viewed as "owned" by the community, although Troll and Rock had legal ownership, and community ownership meant this was a more relaxed place.

That's actually the reason that "Straight Forward" was created: So people could ask questions, not get discussion, and once the answer was provided, finitio to that thread. Other threads would wander, repeat, "say everything that could be said" and keep on going, bicker some, and last for weeks on end. Now, I think, WB is mostly a "straight forward" site, and more along the old TrailPlace model.

I'd be interested if people disagreed with that. I've been wrong before.

TW

The Weasel
08-21-2009, 11:39
For those who wonder what Blue Jay and I are talking about, here is a fairly typical thread from late '03 (still the early days) which had it all: "Trail legends," Lone Wolf being modest, religion, Trail Days, what Hanover is like, the price of Bill Bryson's house and profanity, including the famous "F*** you, I'm a trail legend" quote attributed to "Baltimore Jack" Tarlin late one night. Worth reading. Maybe.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3011

The Weasel

Gray Blazer
08-21-2009, 11:43
Weasel, you do live in a gay place. What's up with that? (Just kidding.)

I was told after my first post that there was no hope for me, yet here I am.

sherrill
08-21-2009, 11:49
Yes. When was it?

TW

Can't remember exactly, I think early 07?

The Weasel
08-21-2009, 11:51
Weasel, you do live in a gay place. What's up with that? (Just kidding.)

I was told after my first post that there was no hope for me, yet here I am.

Well, I live in a town noted for (a) Timothy Leary, (b) a longtime time significant gay population, and (c) Richard Nixon's first choice for the Western White House. Go figure. Now it has me, and Chase The Incredible Rocket Dog. :eek:

There still isn't hope for you, either, Gray. That's why you fit in so well here. Glad you're around. :banana

TW

Cannibal
08-21-2009, 11:56
Well, I live in a town noted for (a) Timothy Leary, (b) a longtime time significant gay population, and (c) Richard Nixon's first choice for the Western White House. Go figure. Now it has me, and Chase The Incredible Rocket Dog. :eek:
And (d) the bouncer that kicked the ever-lovin bejesus out of me. Had too many tequila shots and thought I was way tougher than I was. :eek:

Jester2000
08-21-2009, 12:16
He stopped thru-hiking at some point. Maybe he's resumed, I don't know, but "back then" he had been doing his 5-6 in a row and then stopped.

Ahh. Yes, he has stopped thru-hiking. He does, however, continue to head south every year, and gets a good deal of hiking in. He was in Harpers Ferry in the beginning of July this year.

Not to be outdone by the classical formula where Unsuspecting Billville member announces trail magic event/party, then Wolf/pick your favorite curmudgeon would harp about how this was the end of classical thru-hiking and purity and that these events were the equivalent of choking baby seals. Then Jack/various Billville member would heroically defend the event and invite said detractor or would tell said detractor not to come. Rinse, Repeat, serve over ice (just come back to clean up your cooler afterwards!)

Yeah, that was always entertaining. Do you remember that year at the Gathering when we actually choked baby seals?

You used to be funny. What the heck happened? Old and bitter like the rest of us?

I think I backed away from White Blaze for a bit because I was offended that my thread concerning people riding giant turtles on the AT was moved to "hiking humor," when it was, in fact, a very serious situation with dire consequences for the trail.

I do think it's time for me to get back to being a little more nonsensical, though.

The Weasel
08-21-2009, 12:23
Yes, packing out turtle crap has always been a major trail problem. Along with thread drift. And the blue ones.

TW

Jeff
08-21-2009, 12:43
I hardly recall the last time Sgt Rock or ATTroll posted here on Whiteblaze. Have they delegated authority and control?

Summit
08-21-2009, 12:44
I do think it's time for me to get back to being a little more nonsensical, though.Maybe a bunch of us could pitch in and buy Lone Wolf Christmas presents consisting of:

Steripen
Bear Vault
Trekking Poles
Jetboil

Now that would be nonsensical! :eek: :p

Jeff
08-21-2009, 12:47
Maybe a bunch of us could pitch in and buy Lone Wolf Christmas presents consisting of:

Steripen
Bear Vault
Trekking Poles
Jetboil

And an extra soft pad for sleeping on shelter floors.

Summit
08-21-2009, 12:58
And an extra soft pad for sleeping on shelter floors.Maybe we could dismantle the old shelter at Carter Gap and reassemble it in his yard! :D

tlbj6142
08-21-2009, 13:05
I think, BlueJay, you have identified very well,what the character of WB was for the first couple of years. Many threads just became long conversations among people, joining and dropping out, much as they are when you're sitting at a shelter eating supper. That was part of the delight,Agree. But later every thread turned into some sort of hater thread. That killed WB and forced the moderator's hands. If folks would have just remained civil...

That's actually the reason that "Straight Forward" was created: So people could ask questions, SF was created because for a time every thread you started would end up (in a mater of hours in some cases) with 2-4 folks being complete a-holes. WB "was" more like SF in the old days with a touch of flavor. Then it turned into the "haters club" for a few years before this settled down a bit. Though, I still still stuff happen now that I doubt would have happened in "the old days".

Hikerhead
08-21-2009, 13:10
I was there when whiteblaze blew up...saw it with my own eyes. It had to be what a LSD trip would feel like. I remember when you said what you wanted, how you wanted. I remember when you could post a picture without a date on it :).

Dances with Mice
08-21-2009, 13:12
Damn. I can barely remember what I posted this morning.

tlbj6142
08-21-2009, 13:32
Worth reading. Maybe. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3011Thanks. For some reason I had "Former Easy" on my block list....lol.

FWIW, the "F-U I'm a trail legend" was posted by me as a follow-up to my TD 2003 trip....
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1888

Cookerhiker
08-21-2009, 13:54
Maybe a bunch of us could pitch in and buy Lone Wolf Christmas presents consisting of:

Steripen
Bear Vault
Trekking Poles
Jetboil

And an extra soft pad for sleeping on shelter floors.

And also a puppy:D

Jack Tarlin
08-21-2009, 14:17
Geez, what a crazy, and pretty much stupid thread.

Quick comments before this thing gets shut down:

Weasel: I was never thrown off of Trailplace, but thanks again for a timely and inaccuate comment.

And to TLBJ6142, who enjoys making jocular comments about the days of yore when Jack actually hiked.

Um, don't mean to break it to you, bub, but by the end of autumn, I expect to get in close to a thousand miles for the year........how 'bout you? :D Does this count as hiking in your book?

But thanks for your kind words anyway.

Cannibal
08-21-2009, 14:27
I'll always like ya Jack!
You gave me a shot of bourbon in Franklin; it was a Sunday and booooooy was I grateful. :banana

The Weasel
08-21-2009, 14:29
Geez, what a crazy, and pretty much stupid thread.

Quick comments before this thing gets shut down:

Weasel: I was never thrown off of Trailplace, but thanks again for a timely and inaccuate comment.

And to TLBJ6142, who enjoys making jocular comments about the days of yore when Jack actually hiked.

Um, don't mean to break it to you, bub, but by the end of autumn, I expect to get in close to a thousand miles for the year........how 'bout you? :D Does this count as hiking in your book?

But thanks for your kind words anyway.

Well, we have different recollections, but I'm glad you're here as much as you are, Jack. That's what I said then, and I say it now. And we've differed much, and still have drinks each for the other awaiting. That's what WB has been about, along with inaccuracies that don't (or at least shouldn't) result in either "hating" or thread closure. As I hope this one doesn't. It won't be the first stupid thread I've started, nor the last one you will participate in. I hope. But then we never made stupidity a disqualifier here. A good thing, too. Or you would be talking to yourself even more than you do now.

Glad to hear you're hiking again. I know being a real estate consultant was hard. Hiking is easy. Welcome back. :welcome

TW

Jack Tarlin
08-21-2009, 14:35
You're glad to hear I'm hiking "again"?

Um, when did I stop?

Funny thing, all these people who seem to know lots more about how I spend my time than I do. Guess they mucst have better sources or something.

But really, what's up with the "welcome back to hiking!!" stuff, eh? I was on Springer on 18 March Weasel, and was out hiking in the South for quite some time.

Oddly enough, I musta missed you out there somewhere. :rolleyes:

And I'd have happily welcomed YOU back, too, except it doesn't seem you were there to welcome.

Pacific Tortuga
08-21-2009, 14:48
Ya Jack, I never saw you hiking in 07. All the way to Duncannon where I got off and you kept not hiking from there. :)
How many times we run into each other. Was always a surprise and a good time.

Jester2000
08-21-2009, 14:58

Um, when did I stop?

Funny thing, all these people who seem to know lots more about how I spend my time than I do. Guess they mucst have better sources or something.

As I've already noted, you've stopped hiking every year that you've been hiking. It could also be said that you've stopped hiking every day that you've been hiking.

What cannot be said with any truth is that you've ever stopped hiking entirely.

The Weasel
08-21-2009, 14:59

Um, when did I stop?

But really, what's up with the "welcome back to hiking!!" stuff, eh? I was on Springer on 18 March Weasel, and was out hiking in the South for quite some time.

Oddly enough, I musta missed you out there somewhere. :rolleyes:

And I'd have happily welcomed YOU back, too, except it doesn't seem you were there to welcome.

Ah, the delightful sounds of yesteryear!!!

Jack, you stop hiking most nights, and many other times during the year. Then you start again. I'm glad. If you didn't, it would mean you were dead, and then I'd have to pack you out with my TP and other solid waste.

Welcome back, Jack!

TW

Rain Man
08-21-2009, 15:05
...I remember when you could post a picture without a date on it :).

Oh yes, the Dark Ages of bad photojournalism. Not to mention, no Where, no Who, no What, no nuthin'. LOL

Rain:sunMan

Jim Adams
08-21-2009, 23:28
Quick summary...used to be fun...now old and boring. Please excuse me while I go watch some paint dry.

geek

Jester2000
08-22-2009, 12:03
Quick summary...used to be fun...now old and boring. Please excuse me while I go watch some paint dry.

geek

Note: the above post was accidentally posted here instead of in the "How Has Jester Changed?" Thread.

Wise Old Owl
08-22-2009, 12:25

geek

Wow I hope you "ain't" suffering from that old crotchety disease called Male Menopause!:eek::p:rolleyes:

Wise Old Owl
08-22-2009, 12:28
Becareful Jester, He can come visit me in the dead of night, but you are clearly a little further away.....you might become a statistic!:eek:

The Weasel
08-22-2009, 20:04

geek

What is the address for the paint site. I need some excitement too.

TW

Tinker
08-22-2009, 20:32
Hiking does not validate a human being, nor is it a prerequesite for being able to help others.
As LW so appropriately states, "It's just walking." :)

Jester2000
08-23-2009, 12:24
. . . As LW so appropriately states, "It's just walking." :)

Hmmm. If this is true (and it just may be), we're clearly all on the wrong site, and should instead visit www.justwalking.com

The Weasel
08-23-2009, 13:25
Hiking is a lot more than "just" walking. And WhiteBlaze is more than "just" a website.

TW

emerald
08-23-2009, 14:08
For someone who can go on ad nauseum, I'd think, by now, you could have demonstrated it. I'm not taking your word for it and I'm not seeing much if anything to convince me.:-?:p:D

I would be interested in someone calling to my attention more of Jester's outstanding posts.

Lone Wolf
08-23-2009, 14:19
Hiking is a lot more than "just" walking. And WhiteBlaze is more than "just" a website.

TW
not in my opinion

Jester2000
08-23-2009, 14:21
I would be interested in someone calling to my attention more of Jester's outstanding posts.

Um, okay. How about this high-quality post, from the thread "The Newest Little Hiker" (October, 2006):

That baby looks delicious.

Jester2000
08-23-2009, 14:22

TW

I believe the correct spelling is "jest."

Pacific Tortuga
08-23-2009, 14:26
I believe the correct spelling is "jest."

You forgot the er.

The Weasel
08-23-2009, 14:33
not in my opinion

Hiking is more than walking. If it were just walking, your multiple trips up and down the AT (and other trails) would be no more worthy of the respect you have from all of us than if you walked up and down stairs and around your house 8 hours a day. You're wrong.

WhiteBlaze is more than a website. It's the place that showed a huge outpouring of affection and support to a valued part of its community - you - in the last year, and which does so in smaller ways every day. You're wrong.

But we like you anyhow, and always have. Even if it wasn't clear at the outset whether you were a guy or a girl. :D

TW

Lone Wolf
08-23-2009, 14:34
not in my opinion

The Weasel
08-23-2009, 14:39
Even if it wasn't clear at the outset whether you were a guy or a girl. :D

TW

not in my opinion

It was clear? Not to the rest of us. At least not then. :p

TW

Jester2000
08-23-2009, 14:39
Hiking is more than walking. If it were just walking, your multiple trips up and down the AT (and other trails) would be no more worthy of the respect you have from all of us than if you walked up and down stairs and around your house 8 hours a day. . .

I'm planning a thru-hike of Lone Wolf's house next year. A big part of the planning is seeing if I can get Gypsy to unload his guns first.

Lone Wolf
08-23-2009, 14:40
It was clear? Not to the rest of us. At least not then. :p

TW
you're gay. admit it

Pacific Tortuga
08-23-2009, 14:52
you're gay. admit it

Laguna Beach use to be a strong indicater but housing costs have thined out their ranks,(la times artical)
"not that anything is wrong with that", J. Seinfeld

emerald
08-23-2009, 14:54
I see Jester is within striking distance of becoming a 2000-poster. Does he or anyone else consider this noteworthy and are there plans for celebrating the occasion?

max patch
08-23-2009, 14:56
you're gay. admit it

Well, that certainly shut him up.

Pacific Tortuga
08-23-2009, 14:58
I see Jester is within striking distance of becoming a 2000-poster. Does he or anyone else consider this noteworthy and are there plans for celebrating the occasion?

L. Wolf has set a high bar, but then in my book any kind of bar is good. :cool:

Jester2000
08-23-2009, 14:58

On the other hand, can anyone, regardless of sexual preference, resist Lone Wolf's sparkly blue eyes? I think not.

Summit
08-23-2009, 14:59
My rule on threads is that by page 5 everything informative, interesting, and funny that can be said has been said, and from there on it's just stupid tripe. I present to you this thread as evidence! :eek: :p

rickb
08-23-2009, 14:59

Probably writing up a long post on libel per se.

Jester2000
08-23-2009, 15:01

I plan on starting a second "In Praise of Me" thread. The first one was in celebration of my 400th post. I have it all planned out. Only 91 people have over 2,000 posts. It's going to be a pretty big deal. Milk will be made available.

max patch
08-23-2009, 15:04
Where oh where are you, Mr Alligator?

Jester2000
08-23-2009, 15:05
My rule on threads is that by page 5 everything informative, interesting, and funny that can be said has been said, and from there on it's just stupid tripe. I present to you this thread as evidence! :eek: :p

I do some of my best work after page five. I find that some of the best nonsense is produced after everyone has run out of actual information.

emerald
08-23-2009, 15:19
Only 91 people have over 2,000 posts.

Do you know that to be a fact or was it just a believable guess? You could be in the 1st 100.

I was tempted to respond to your milk comment, but I didn't dare comment in the manner which crossed my mind. Someone else may.

The Old Fhart
08-23-2009, 15:37
Jester2000-"... I find that some of the best nonsense is produced after everyone has run out of actual information."The problem is that some people start out with no actual information. :D

saimyoji
08-23-2009, 17:44
The problem is that some people start out with no actual information. :D

in which case it takes us less time to get to the real nonsense.

emerald
08-23-2009, 18:00
Not necessarily. Some people don't realize they're posting page after page of nothing. It's only when the nonsense posters arrive on the scene that some threads are given a life and a chance to amount to something.

The Weasel
08-23-2009, 18:39
you're gay. admit it

Well, I'm happy, Wolf, pretty much all the time. But yes, I have to admit it: I'm just as gay as you are. :D

TW

The Weasel
08-23-2009, 18:42

Only in your most fevered dreams, Max, is that possible. And even if it were, it wouldn't be from LW passing out an undeserved compliment like that. ;)

TW

The Weasel
08-23-2009, 18:43
And yes, mild harassment like that is what made WB a bit more interesting, although it was often accompanied by something useful about the trail, too.

TW

Lone Wolf
08-23-2009, 18:44
Well, I'm happy, Wolf, pretty much all the time. But yes, I have to admit it: I'm just as gay as you are. :D

TW

okay, i'll clarify. you have homosexual tendencies.

max patch
08-23-2009, 18:49
Why don't you guys take this to the Boom Boom Room and have a couple cold ones while you figure this whole thing out.

Lone Wolf
08-23-2009, 19:00
Why don't you guys take this to the Boom Boom Room and have a couple cold ones while you figure this whole thing out.

nothin' to figure out. his tones are obvious. that is all

max patch
08-23-2009, 19:19
Well, I learned something from the POS thread. Googled "laguna beach" and "gay" and learned stuff I never knew before.

Lone Wolf
08-23-2009, 19:24
Well, I learned something from the POS thread. Googled "laguna beach" and "gay" and learned stuff I never knew before.
lotta happiness there

The Weasel
08-23-2009, 20:26

Hate to say, Max, but the Boom Room is gone, although it had a bit of a vestigal resurrection last year as the Laguna Beach HQ for the Obaman Campaign...

And yes, Wolf, I have the same tendencies you do, my wife and kids agree. Whatever you say, darling.

TW

Egads
08-23-2009, 20:39
I didn't realize this was the gay hook up thread :eek:; funny...I thought it was about WB history.

See ya :o

Alligator
08-23-2009, 20:58
Where oh where are you, Mr Alligator?I was waiting for The Weasel in his reminiscing to get to the part where the site got closed down at the beginning of last summer. He quit (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=659335#post659335) in disillusionment shortly thereafter and stopped calling himself The Weasel. That's all in the past I'd hope, but the direction this thread has gone suggests that this is a good stopping point.