PDA

View Full Version : Dalton Hostels

ridgewalker777
07-22-2004, 11:17
There are now two "hostels" in Dalton--Tom Levardi, who has been offering free tenting, ice cream, and other help--and "The Birdcage" which also offers hospitality including showers...They are both free, The Birdcage is accessed by going to the local Shell station, asking for "Rob" who will clue you in...

Footslogger
07-22-2004, 12:42
The neat thing about Dalton is that both hostel owners (Tom and Rob) are good friends and actually communicate and mutually help hikers on a regular basis. Case in point ...there are a couple decent slack packs out of Dalton - one of which is from the top of Greylock back to Dalton. If Tom or Rob has already got a load of hikers interested in taking the slack and they have room in their van, they call each other to see if the other has anyone who would like to go along.

Personally I stayed at Rob's (Birdcage) on my thru last year but ironically, I ran into Tom on my way into town (you walk right by his house). Not knowing who Tom was at the time, I told him that my plan was to find the Birdcage and stay there. He quickly said ..."hop in and I'll give you a ride over to his place". In the process of riding over to Robs place, Tom told me who he was. I was tad embarassed but Tom told me not to give it another thought. According to Tom there are pleny of hikers to keep both of them busy and they are not in business to out-do each other.

Dalton was among my most memorable trail towns ...

'Slogger

A-Train
07-22-2004, 13:16
Its fantastic to see two town propreitors that get along and coexist without drama. I stayed with Tom and had a great stay. Never met Rob, though I've heard outstanding stuff about him.

Cehoffpauir
08-13-2004, 11:53
Its fantastic to see two town propreitors that get along and coexist without drama. I stayed with Tom and had a great stay. Never met Rob, though I've heard outstanding stuff about him.

Yes, and I think you'll keep hearing it. The Birdcage reminded me of Miss Janet's, and has been one of my best stays on this trip. (I wish I'd gone to see his band Just-N-Kace, but coming home at 2AM dissuaded me.)

Footslogger
08-13-2004, 11:57
I wish I'd gone to see his band Just-N-Kace, but coming home at 2AM dissuaded me.)
I had the same opportunity and declined for the very same reason. In looking back though I now wish I had gone. Rob dug out this guitar when I was at his place last year and played through some of their stuff. If that was any indication of how good they were it must be a pretty good show.

'Slogger
AT 2003

magic_game03
08-13-2004, 12:33
unless either one of them has changed, neither one of them is a hostel. they are both known as local trail angels but neither has a license to operate any kind of establishment that i know of. I'm only saying this because you could potentially cause trouble by claiming it as a fact.

neo
08-13-2004, 20:27
i stayed at rob,s on my last section hike in early june,he is a great guy:banana :clap :jump one of the nicest people i have met,happy trails every body

Mountain Dew
08-14-2004, 01:15
Dalton is a good trail town. Tom is one of the nicest people I met on my thru-hike. If you like Miss Janet then you'll like Tom. The fact that Tom and Rob get along so well is awesome. An example of the way it should be. Tom will let you camp for free in his back yard, shower , and might even give you a ride to certain places if possible. The mall there has an Eastern Mountain Sports !!!

beastbulldog
09-20-2004, 18:00
They sound great, but how do you get in touch with them?

Footslogger
09-21-2004, 12:09
Don't have contact info on Tom but here is Rob's e-mail: [email protected] (http://us.f403.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?&[email protected])

Drop him a note and tell him that old Footslogger says HEY !!

'Slogger
AT 2003

Spiritual Pillgrim
07-02-2006, 13:26
Tom is one of the nicest people I met on my thru-hike. If you like Miss Janet then you'll like Tom. The fact that Tom and Rob get along so well is awesome. An example of the way it should be.

I hadn't originally intended to stay with Tom, but since the trail goes right by his front porch and I saw William outside, I stopped. William said I should stay and i did and I don't regret it. We were ahead of the big hiker rush so maybe we got a little extra than one might get during the arrival of the masses. I took a zero there and we all were driven to town several times for chow. William and his buddies also got slack packed all the way to Bennington VT.

Never met Rob, but heard his place is good too. Glad to hear that he and Rob get along. I think the bickering between other hostels elsewhere only hurts the hikers in the end.

minnesotasmith
05-28-2008, 11:17
He will definitely be continuing to help hikers this coming (2009) season.

He's a great guy, who significantly helped me when I came through his area in November 2006, near the end of my flip-flopped thruhike that year. He said he particularly enjoyed getting to see someone very close to the end of a successful thruhike attempt.

wolf
08-18-2008, 21:14
we are going to go thru town in oct ,we need a place to stay

sasquatch2014
08-18-2008, 21:33
Tom is in most of the Books and for Rob i know his E mail is posted in the thread here and you can also just go to the shell station in town and ask for him and they will help you hook up with him if he isn't there at the time. I stayed with Rob and he was a huge help in my section hike up that way last fall.

wolf
08-18-2008, 21:49
how is the section here

CrumbSnatcher
08-18-2008, 21:50
stayed with tom in 99'tenting in the yard, and with rob in 03' & 04' in 04'stayed at the birdcage for a month and hiked sections of the trail and other trails. bear my dog took alot of zeros in 04' there. she actually stayed in the house with robs big ass dog. he said she was the only dog thats ever been able to be in the house with his dog without being attacked. i believe his dog killed a dog or two in his day.it was funny seeing his 150 plus pound dog so curious about bear who was alot smaller,he was intrigued and scared of my dog who was gentle as a kitten.she'd flinch,and robs dog would jump straight up 3 feet. funnest thing in the world (the only reason the dog allowed bear in the house was the fact she was a girl and he was a boy) i played rough with him a little but he quickly played very rough... i wish i remembered the dogs name. beautiful dog,i hope he still alive when i come thru next year. tom and rob are both great people and assets to the trail community.

wolf
08-18-2008, 21:52
how is the trail

MOWGLI
08-18-2008, 21:55
Mass is not particularly difficult. Ups & downs much like the rest of the trail. Very pretty. The fall would be a good time because the bugs would be gone.

CrumbSnatcher
08-18-2008, 22:07
how is the trail
wolf, if the bugs are out, a 2 mph hiker will be doing 3 1/2 no lie. this section is good,(probably one of the fastest twenty milers on the appalachian trail is into dalton) from the south from upper goose pond to dalton is a easy hike,and right before kay wood leanto i saw a moose,this is the farthest south i have seen a moose on the trail. the hike north out of town is not to difficult either and the hike up mt. greylock is a nice section.MOWGLI sums it up very well, have a great hike

sasquatch2014
08-19-2008, 07:38
I want to say that the dogs name was Tinker. I am not sure why that was sticking in my mind. I was the only one there when I rolled through last Oct and when I was waiting to meet a friend I took a Zero. I slept in and had the dog join me out on the cot on the porch. Not a lot of room for me and the dog on the bed but once we both drifted off I think we slept for another 3 or 4 hours.

Homer&Marje
08-19-2008, 07:46
Dalton is Pleasantville. I am convinced of that. That is a good 20 miler, I broke it down went from goose pond rd to October Mtn shelter then stayed at Kay wood shelter. But I was just out for the 3 day bang.

Blissful
08-19-2008, 11:51
Mass is not bad trail wise. Some climb near Mt Greylock. Just bad mosquitoes so be ready for them.

rafe
08-19-2008, 16:56
For the most part, the trail in MA is about as easy as it gets on the AT. Greylock and Race Mtn. are about all you've got for climbs, and neither is very high or very difficult.

CrumbSnatcher
08-19-2008, 17:49
I want to say that the dogs name was Tinker. I am not sure why that was sticking in my mind. I was the only one there when I rolled through last Oct and when I was waiting to meet a friend I took a Zero. I slept in and had the dog join me out on the cot on the porch. Not a lot of room for me and the dog on the bed but once we both drifted off I think we slept for another 3 or 4 hours.
I WAS THINKING ABOUT THIS ON MY WAY HOME FROM WORK,I THOUGHT TUCKER. TINKER MIGHT BE RIGHT? in 04' he was solid muscle and big. sweet dog. thanks SASQUATCH:D