PDA

View Full Version : The Priest Shelter Book?

Whiskey Ninja
08-20-2009, 18:20
I saw in the register that Austin Boyd has put all the confessions into a book. Anyone know where to find it? I wrote down the author and the name of the book but am unable to find it anywhere. Austin Boyd "One More Step" ? I wanted to gift this to someone but having no luck.

Thanks

Sweet
08-20-2009, 20:46
Whiskey Ninja, et al

Yes, there is a book coming but it's not yet out. My daughter (Alice) and I finished a 100 mile section hike at The Priest last year, and started an 80 mile section hike there this year. I learned of many stories about The Priest from the great folks at Dutch Haus in Monetebello. I have a copy of one journal, and most of the entries from the current journal. One confessed to killing a man, many confessed to lusting after a Chinese buffet. Some confessions are painful, most are funny, a few are lewd. Those stories and entries became the inspiration for a forthcoming novel with the working title "One More Step." Six publishers have now expressed interest, and the proposal will be ready at the end of September. I'd be glad to share the first three chapters with anyone who would like an advance peek.

Here's the back cover blurb for the book:

"Dr. John Waples is a workaholic who'd rather be at the office than on the Appalachian Trail with his daughter. Fifty miles and five days ahead of them, an elderly hiker is passing out peppermints to each person he meets with the reminder that "life is sweet." As John reads the poignant writings of this hiker known only as "Sweet" recorded in trail shelter journals, he is consumed with a passion to learn more about the old man, amazed by his wisdom and passion for life. Casting off concerns about missiing a key promotion interview, father and daughter decide to catch Sweet, overtaking him at last on a mountain called The Priest. What they learn from Sweet changes John forever."

I'm happy to share the early chapters with any willing to give me feedback. For more about my writing and novels, check out www.austinboyd.com

Whiskey Ninja
08-20-2009, 22:38
I read most of them up to August when I was hiking and left a few of my own. I would love to check it out though, definitely have time to give some feedback. Thanks for the quick response.

Red Hat
08-21-2009, 17:41
Wow, I googled "Austin Boyd" and "The Priest Appalachian Confessions" searching for an answer for Whiskey Ninja. I wrote to Austin care of his website and got a very quick response, much like this one. I will read this book! And I'm now an Austin Boyd fan....

Whiskey Ninja
03-12-2010, 11:55
Need some reading material..