PDA

View Full Version : After Atins-- Nest logical section?

Bruce Hudson
08-20-2009, 18:24
School's starting and teachers (at least this teacher) is planning the next section. I've gotten from the approach trail and Springer to Atkins. And I need a distraction to day dream about while my 120 13 year olds try to undermine my summer bliss this fall.

I'll be looking for a shuttle from Atkins to go north and with luck, I might be able to hike a thirty mile section over Thanksgiving break.

Any info about that section of the trail, and if I can't get over T-day what piece of that trail makes sense as the next say 60 to 100 mile bite?

Bruce Hudson
Raleigh, NC
[email protected]

Cookerhiker
08-20-2009, 20:24
30 miles north of Atkins puts you at Rt. 623 which I believe is a rather obscure road crossing. Hopefully some of the locals will chime in about access to that road. You can probably get a shuttle in hiking season but I don't know about Thanksgiving weekend.

Atkins to Pearisburg is 88 miles, an ideal section for your Christmas or Spring break. Re. the former, it will depend of course on how open you are to winter hiking and how much snow is on the ground. I hiked (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=89307)most of this stretch in the winter except I skipped the portion over Chestnut Knob because of deep snow. Spring would be a delightful time to hike this stretch.

excuses
08-20-2009, 21:42
I hiked from Bland to Atkins this past June and that was 3 days for me. I got my ferry to Bland from the folks at Happy Hiker Hollow in Atkins. Easy ride up and a place to park to.

Kerosene
08-21-2009, 08:22
I hiked from Bland to Atkins this past June and that was 3 days for me.Bland to Atkins took me 3 days also in early June 2005: Jenkins Shelter (11.5 miles), then Knot Maul Branch Shelter (19.0) and Atkins (14.1).

twilight
08-21-2009, 23:55
I'm heading out to do that section from Pearisburg to Atkins at the end of Sept. I'm going to try to blow it out in 5 or 6 days. I will also try for a shuttle at Happy Hiker Hostel. They shuttled me for Dmas to Atkins and Rambunny was great!

Twilight

Cookerhiker
08-22-2009, 09:48
I'm heading out to do that section from Pearisburg to Atkins at the end of Sept. I'm going to try to blow it out in 5 or 6 days. I will also try for a shuttle at Happy Hiker Hostel. They shuttled me for Dmas to Atkins and Rambunny was great!

Twilight

If your shuttle doesn't come through, the Rendezvous Motel in Pearisburg also does shuttles - they shuttled me on my March '05 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=89307) hike of that same stretch. I'd rcommend hiking northbound because you can park your car at the Rendezvous with no charge. Also, a southbound hike means you start with a long uphill up Pearis Mountain.

Have a great hike!

aquaman1208
08-29-2009, 21:49
That is a tough climb up Pearis Mt. Does anybody shuttle out of the hostel in Pearisburg? There was a motel on the AT in Atkins that shuttled too.