PDA

View Full Version : WB - Nice place to interact and learn

Summit
08-20-2009, 19:08
On the heels of reading where a member is throwing in the towel over "unfair treatment" on WB, and the "History of WB" threads, let me just throw this out there . . .

WB is my number one place on the web to hang out, interact and learn about outdoor skills . . . and people, by the way they interact! :eek: It's not a perfect place (haven't found one of those in this life - looking forward to it in the next!), but it's entertaining and educational because we are constantly learning what flies and what doesn't by the way we act and interact.

Coming in, we share a common bond of love of nature and the great outdoors. Going out, we are sometimes bruised by brash people who can't seem to disagree respectfully. But that's human nature. It's everywhere . . . the workplace, the school, the church, the home, and yes, the woods!

I have certainly had my share of "run-ins" with some of you here on WB, but you know what? This is a cool place to share your skills, experiences, likes, dislikes, disagreements, questions, answers, and just about anything else on your mind.

There are some people I give a hard time (Blue Jay) and some people who give me a hard time (Blue Jay)! :D :p But hey, BJ, I'd hike or share a campsite with you any day!

And thanks to the mods who do their best to keep it civil, often a thankless job.

Blue Jay
08-20-2009, 19:23
I think I'm going to throw up, however you are the only adversary I have left.
Without you it's the same gear blah blah gear blah blah please tell me something that's been gone over a thousand times but I'm to lazy to do a search, how about more gear blah blah blah. It's come down to the main reason I go here is to see if any of my old friends have died.

Tractor
08-20-2009, 19:29
Great to see we are all getting along sorta.

Summit
08-20-2009, 19:29
Without you it's the same gear blah blah gear blah blah please tell me something that's been gone over a thousand times but I'm to lazy to do a search, how about more gear blah blah blah. It's come down to the main reason I go here is to see if any of my old friends have died.I wouldn't have expected anything less from you . . . you're on track as always . . . I'm sure I don't qualify as an "old friend," but I haven't died! :p :D

Blissful
08-20-2009, 19:47
Without you it's the same gear blah blah gear blah blah please tell me something that's been gone over a thousand times but I'm to lazy to do a search, how about more gear blah blah blah. It's come down to the main reason I go here is to see if any of my old friends have died.

Just think, we were all new once and had those same gear, blah blah questions. If you're new, you don't know it's been said 1,000 times either unless you're ominiscient or have three hours to do a search of every post. And maybe you didn't get what we wanted out of the search or (bing!!) you just wanted to make your presense known here and find some hiking buddies without others bashing and crashing because you ask the same question.

I've seen people actually "apologize" ahead of time on here for asking a question for fear of stepping on somone's fragile toes. Honestly.

Time to start helping others and not just feeding our own faces. I had my face fed when I was new and people were also a heck of a lot more patient back then too with a newbie (unless they made remarks back then that I asked too many stupid, low brain, idiotic, hu hum, no fun questions, and I didn't know about it).

Time to give back and stop "b"-ing and "m"-ing (ask Paul Bunyan what that term means. We coined it on the trail in '07).

sheepdog
08-20-2009, 19:49
I agree Summit a great place to hang out, share a joke, learn a few things and meet some new friends.

Cookerhiker
08-20-2009, 20:13
I spend more time on WB by far than any other chatroom and have learned many things as well as met some people I wouldn't otherwise have encountered. I've received good advice and like to think I've given some.

Yeah, I get a trifle annoyed when someone starts a new thread on a subject that's been covered ad infinitum in a dozen or more existing threads and it's easy to use the WB search feature to find existing threads like I just did a few hours ago wanting information on the Black Forest Trail. But what the h, it's not a life-or-death concern.

I for one am grateful that WB exists and does such a commendable job.

superman
08-20-2009, 22:23
The dog photo thread is my favorite.:)

Tinker
08-20-2009, 22:29
Interaction on WB -
"Lets get ready to RRRRRUMBLE!!!!!!!!!!!.............

It's all good. :) :D

TOW
08-20-2009, 22:32
WB has really come along recently and it is a good site!

Tuckahoe
08-21-2009, 07:51
I have lurked Whiteblaze off and on for the last five years, and only recently started posting. I enjoy this forum very much and its certainly been a help for someone wanting to get back into backpacking.

I have to say though that the forum is a bit tame as well. I remember when I first joined I could find some very lively and passionate debates about backpacking and AT topics, as well as some topics not related. Some blow ups over whether orange peels should be packed out or if it was ok to throw them off into the woods. But still tame compared to the Civil War reenacting/living history forums or shooting/firearms forums where I have been a member. It seems to me that Whiteblaze has moved to the more technical side of backpacking.

The last couple weeks I have been spending a lot of time here on Whiteblaze and have really enjoyed it and hope to get to know some folks here.

Yukon
08-21-2009, 08:05
Not bad, could be a lot better...

neighbor dave
08-21-2009, 08:19
it's just a website. the world is a big playground, more fun too.

Homer&Marje
08-21-2009, 08:22
On the heels of reading where a member is throwing in the towel over "unfair treatment" on WB, and the "History of WB" threads, let me just throw this out there . . .

WB is my number one place on the web to hang out, interact and learn about outdoor skills . . . and people, by the way they interact! :eek: It's not a perfect place (haven't found one of those in this life - looking forward to it in the next!), but it's entertaining and educational because we are constantly learning what flies and what doesn't by the way we act and interact.

Coming in, we share a common bond of love of nature and the great outdoors. Going out, we are sometimes bruised by brash people who can't seem to disagree respectfully. But that's human nature. It's everywhere . . . the workplace, the school, the church, the home, and yes, the woods!

I have certainly had my share of "run-ins" with some of you here on WB, but you know what? This is a cool place to share your skills, experiences, likes, dislikes, disagreements, questions, answers, and just about anything else on your mind.

There are some people I give a hard time (Blue Jay) and some people who give me a hard time (Blue Jay)! :D :p But hey, BJ, I'd hike or share a campsite with you any day!

And thanks to the mods who do their best to keep it civil, often a thankless job.

And Summit here is one of the nicest guys on this site. Truly a selfless individual with an amazing capacity for compassion. Just wanted to throw that in

Big Dawg
08-21-2009, 08:31
I spend more time on WB by far than any other chatroom and have learned many things as well as met some people I wouldn't otherwise have encountered. I've received good advice and like to think I've given some.

Yeah, I get a trifle annoyed when someone starts a new thread on a subject that's been covered ad infinitum in a dozen or more existing threads and it's easy to use the WB search feature to find existing threads like I just did a few hours ago wanting information on the Black Forest Trail. But what the h, it's not a life-or-death concern.

Ditto.

I take WB for what it is... and try to leave the drama & feather ruffling to others. Overall I'm happy I stumbled across WB 1.23.04. Even though I didn't start at THE beginning, I feel like an ol timer & comfy around all you nature lovers.

modiyooch
08-21-2009, 08:44
Yeah, I get a trifle annoyed when someone starts a new thread on a subject that's been covered ad infinitum in a dozen or more existing threads. All one has to do is skip the topic. Why torment yourself and newbies? I for one like to ask the question again so that possibly I can include fresh answers from newbies, and it zeroes in on the answer quicker. It goes both ways. I do feel that WB is a very resourceful tool from both newbies and old geezers. There is no one exact answer. I don't typically use this site for entertainment, unless of course I have cabin fever. I don't think it is right to slam newbies for asking a question. I rather read the answer again, as opposed to instructions on the search function. Just ignore the thread, or resist posting an answer if not constructive. Weeding thru the crap, which some call entertainment, is worse than reading repetitive material.

Chowder
08-21-2009, 09:26
I'm pretty new to WB and have enjoying it almost every day. I've received a bunch of good info from my few threads and from lots of other people's questions as well. I think most times us newbies don't know about the things we don't know, so it can be hard to figure out the right terms to search for. Plus, it seems like there's new gear coming out every day so we want to hear how it compares to the known models.

Thanks for being friendly and entertaining so far :sun

Chaco Taco
08-26-2009, 11:49
Changed alot since I joined. I have met alot of people through the site including my fiancee

Chaco Taco
08-26-2009, 16:05
So i joined awhile ago and really didnt understand the culture that is the AT and Hiking world. I hardly ever saw anyone when I would hike. Then I thruhiked. I have met so many WBer's and have established new friendships but i do not contribute that to this website. I learned alot about hiking more than anything, but actually hiking and getting on the trail is where the true action is. I did know alot of names from WB last year and spent alot of time with some the big contributers to the site. Its a cool place when you are able to say how you feel and no one get their panties in a wad. As with alot of websites, you have people throwing out their credentials and pissing contests.

Alot has changed I am not too excitted about it so i contribute less. But i still have an good idea of what it could be here but know that it will never reach that point.

Red Hat
08-26-2009, 16:30
it's just a website. the world is a big playground, more fun too.

When I first joined WB, I was searching for info about hiking. Now I'm home taking care of my husband, and pretty much confined 24/7. Whiteblaze keeps me sane. I think about the fun I've had hiking, the friends I've made, and dream about getting out again. Of course it would be more fun to be out there, but WB will have to do until I can.

jesse
08-26-2009, 16:37
...It's come down to the main reason I go here is to see if any of my old friends have died.

3,233 post?????????

Wise Old Owl
08-26-2009, 16:57
Hmmm Great bunch of Hiker Enthusisast....

More fun than sitting around a campfire flicking Mosquito's and scratching at Poison Ivy:rolleyes:

Chaco Taco
08-26-2009, 17:00
Hmmm Great bunch of Hiker Enthusisast....

More fun than sitting around a campfire flicking Mosquito's and scratching at Poison Ivy:rolleyes:

Alright well, I think I will go on a hike:cool:

wakapak
08-26-2009, 17:01
Alright well, I think I will go on a hike:cool:

wait for me!!!!!!!!! ;) :D

summermike
08-26-2009, 17:22
I can't imagine how much harder planning my thruhike would have been if it weren't for this place.

Chaco Taco
08-26-2009, 17:24
I can't imagine how much harder planning my thruhike would have been if it weren't for this place.
Wait til you see how much you learn on a thruhike

wakapak
08-26-2009, 17:25

this site wasn't around when i planned my first one, and as Chaco said, wait till you see how much you learn while out there.

Lyle
08-26-2009, 17:40

Yeah, I can't really think of a single topic that hasn't already been covered in multiple threads. As Ed McMahan used to say on the Tonight Show (paraphrased) :

"EVERY THING THAT COULD POSSIBLY BE SAID ON THIS ISSUE IS CONTAINED RIGHT HERE ON THIS SITE. THERE ISN'T A SINGLE THOUGHT THAT COULD BE ADDED."

And Johnny would reply something like:

Wrong oh Halitosis plagued Buzzard Bat...

The reason so many of us visit this site repeatedly is because it is so active. If all the newbies only came on and searched to find their answers, then this would be a pretty dead forum - like some others that are out there.

It's easy to pick and choose which threads you participate in and if you are bored with a particular subject, just ignore it. Plenty of other folks will pipe in and the question will be answered.

Just a Hiker
08-26-2009, 17:48
I'm not sure when the Politcal Forums where taken off this site, but I enjoyed them; however, I can guess why.