PDA

View Full Version : MSR stoves

Captain
08-20-2009, 22:51
tomorrow trekking to the outfitter to pick up a dedicated backpacking stove.thinking either the MSR pocket rocket or the superfly but i cant see much difference between them, other than the obviously wider flame pattern on the superfly. Is there any other notable differences? is one more fuel efficient,considerably lighter?

Nasty Dog Virus
08-20-2009, 23:11
The superfly will fit more types of fuel canisters and is more fuel efficient.
The pocket rocket is lighter. The differences in fuel efficiency and weight are minimal. Superfly is better for group cooking with larger pots/pans while the pocket rocket is perfect for solo trips. Can't go wrong either way...

JoshStover
08-21-2009, 03:54
I have to Pocket Rocket and it can be very unstable. If you dont have it sitting on something that is pretty level watch out because that thing will come crashing down. I like the stove OK I just wish it was more stable.

Captain
08-21-2009, 04:21
well thats no good...food made within 3 mins doesn't do me any good if its spilled to the ground before i can eat it

TheKO
08-21-2009, 09:08
This unstable logic applies to all stoves. Be careful if not on something sturdy/level.

sheepdog
08-21-2009, 09:13
If you are just going to boil water, pocket rocket; if you are going to cook, superfly. Both are good stoves.

JoshStover
08-23-2009, 20:44
My post kinda made it sound like I don't like my Pocket Rocket. I don't want people to get the wrong idea. I really do like my Pocket Rocket, I just wish it was more stable.

Captain
08-23-2009, 20:52
My post kinda made it sound like I don't like my Pocket Rocket. I don't want people to get the wrong idea. I really do like my Pocket Rocket, I just wish it was more stable.

pretty sure i can rig up some form of pot stand/ windscreen to use with it

Tinker
08-24-2009, 00:40
I sold my PocketRocket and bought one of these:
http://www.gofastandlight.com/prodinfo.asp?number=C-V-T303&variation=
lower with better pot supports and a broader burner head for less food burning. I'm pretty sure it's not quite as hot, but I've only used it in very cool temps so far. I may take it on the Long Trail next month. Most of my evening cooking will probably be on a fire, and the stove will probably be used for breakfast only.

JoshStover
08-24-2009, 01:28
That is a pretty nice little stove and cheap too...

mark schofield
08-24-2009, 07:17
I've had the superfly for a few years. Non problem with the stove. But my pot is a bit small so I keep the stove turned down a bit so that the flame doesn't go up around the sides of the pot. I got a Kmart grease pot to use the next trip. About 1" larger diameter than my snow peak 900 pot/lid.

SunnyWalker
10-28-2009, 19:25
I just bought a PR and will not be using my big pot on it. It is a solo thing alright, and built for a more narrow smaller pot. I think. IMO. I like it and am planning on taking it on a thru hike of CDT.

birdog
10-28-2009, 19:30
I own both and the PR is lighter but "tippier". The Superfly throttles down a little better. Both are good choices. I find myself carrying the PR more but when wifey is along, it's the Superfly. She likes to cook more elaborate ramen.

SunnyWalker
10-28-2009, 22:07
Birdog: what size/brand of pot do you use with your PR? Thanks.

birdog
10-28-2009, 22:17
I use a Snow Peak titanium pot of 1.5 ltrs. It seems stable enough when I press the canister in the ground just a bit.

Franco
10-28-2009, 23:05
The Vargo stove that Tinker has is one of the Kovea made versions , also available under Snow Peak. Recommended by the gurus at BPL. I use the Kovea branded one (older version) . Works well but still not that stable . Mine has folding pot holders...
You can get pot support/stabilisers like this one by Jetboil or make your own .
This is my version
Franco
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Pot-support.jpg

Franco
10-28-2009, 23:08
Just noticed...
You can see that one arm is half folded. That happens quiet often so you need to keep an eye on it..
Franco

beakerman
10-29-2009, 01:15
The Vargo stove that Tinker has is one of the Kovea made versions , also available under Snow Peak. Recommended by the gurus at BPL. I use the Kovea branded one (older version) . Works well but still not that stable . Mine has folding pot holders...
You can get pot support/stabilisers like this one by Jetboil or make your own .
This is my version
Franco
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Pot-support.jpg

umm....not trying to be a smart arse here but aren't those just tent stakes?

I trust you take the rope loops off before you fire the stove up?

Actually the tent stake is a good idea...if they are long enough you and use them as additional pot supports to make your pot sit level on the heads and have the burner floating under the pot...just a thought.

I use an old school whisperlite which I think is a lot bigger than the newer smaller canister stoves. Of course I'm still trying to figure out why they called it a whisperlite...it's neither quiet nor light I guess the marketing guys had a sense of humor.;)

Franco
10-29-2009, 02:08
Well spotted...
The Jetboil one is this, the one on the left
(I somehow forgot to paste the link to it)
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/PotSupport_notitle.jpg

the other is what I do...apparently you can also use rocks .
Franco

nox
10-29-2009, 10:11
The only time i ever lost food on my pocket rocket was when i attached the pot gripper then turned my head to talk to someone. The weight of the pot gripper made it heavy on one side and my dogs went for a ride. As long as you set it level and keep your pot centered it shouldn't tip. If you want a MSR stove with a bigger head consider the windpro. It is a remote canister so your pot will only be about 3 inches above ground. I have been looking at it for a while now.

Jim Adams
10-29-2009, 18:34
Carry a piece of closed cell foam 8"x8"x1" and cut out a hole the size of your cannister base. Sit the stove in the foam. No more tipping.
Actually i've been using a PR since 2002 and have never had it tip.

geek

SunnyWalker
11-06-2009, 02:24
Jim Adams, Thanks for the idea.

Gear To Go Outfitter
11-07-2009, 20:01
ON SALE UNTIL 11/14/09. REGULARLY $99.95, SAVE 25% THIS WEEK ONLY. Fortify yourself in a flash with Jetboil's ultracompact 1 liter unit. Ideal for dehydrated meals, coffee or tea on the go, remote worksites, and emergency kits. Travel light and prep easy. The Personal Cooking System (PCS) is a complete food and beverage multi-tool you can hold in your hand and weighs about a pound. Lights with the click of a button, and within two minutes you’ve got two cups of boiling water ready for coffee or a quick meal. Pack components, fuel and accessories into the Nalgene-sized cup for convenient transport. (http://geartogooutfitters.com/buygea...sell&cat_id=48 (http://geartogooutfitters.com/buygear.php?avialable=sell&cat_id=48))

ShelterLeopard
11-07-2009, 20:23
Love the pocketrocket. I used the whisperlite international for several years until it started giving me issues, and I switched to the pocketrocket. Changed my life. Seriously. It is a- very light, b- very compact, c-very clean (with the whisperlite, fuel always leaked out of the hose after detaching it and got everything dirty- the pcoketrocket is completely clean), d- very easy. No pumping, just turn it on and light it.

LOVE MY POCKETROCKET. I wish they had a bumper sticker that said that.

The only issue is stability, but I've never had a problem with it. Just be careful. All camp stoves can be knocked oevr, it's just a little harder to balance pots on it. And I cook on my pocketrocket just fine. LOVE IT.

ShelterLeopard
11-07-2009, 20:25
Got a little tired: clarification:
The only issue is stability, but I've never had a problem with it. Just be careful. All camp stoves can be knocked over, it's just a little harder to balance pots on the pocketrocket- though I've never had trouble. I mostly boil water with it, but I cook on my pocketrocket just fine-pancakes, fry bread, etc... LOVE IT.

Gear To Go Outfitter
11-08-2009, 01:35
If Stability is your concern check out Jetboil's Helios Stove. I use it on our guided trips and never had any problems.

Ramble~On
11-08-2009, 02:06
ON SALE UNTIL 11/14/09. REGULARLY $99.95, SAVE 25% THIS WEEK ONLY. Fortify yourself in a flash with Jetboil's ultracompact 1 liter unit. Ideal for dehydrated meals, coffee or tea on the go, remote worksites, and emergency kits. Travel light and prep easy. The Personal Cooking System (PCS) is a complete food and beverage multi-tool you can hold in your hand and weighs about a pound. Lights with the click of a button, and within two minutes you’ve got two cups of boiling water ready for coffee or a quick meal. Pack components, fuel and accessories into the Nalgene-sized cup for convenient transport. (http://geartogooutfitters.com/buygea...sell&cat_id=48 (http://geartogooutfitters.com/buygear.php?avialable=sell&cat_id=48))

:-? That almost looks like an advertisement.....

ShelterLeopard
11-10-2009, 12:20
:-? That almost looks like an advertisement.....

Almost? It's posted by the person who is selling the stuff...:eek:

Spokes
11-10-2009, 13:42
I always thought the pocket rockets were gas hogs. Others disagree. So now I only use mine on short weekend hikes. For long distance I carry a trusty alcohol stove and forget about worrying when the canister will run out of fuel.

ShelterLeopard
11-11-2009, 12:02
Not a huge fan of alcohol stoves, myself. Especially because until you get the hang of it, you have to start out with more fuel than you need - because it wouldn't exactly be a wise move to try an add more alcohol after you started the fire.

One thing I love about the pocketrocket is how clean it is. NO mess at all.

didymus128
11-11-2009, 14:50
i've had my pocket rocket for over a year now and love it. I have never had an issue with it being "unstable." Find a decent place to cook and it won't matter. As far as fuel efficiency, i can easily get 3 weekend trips out of one canister. Go with the PR