PDA

View Full Version : BudLyte Super Stove

zelph
08-21-2009, 14:20
This stove is made from an aluminum bottle. It's a 1 piece stove, no pot stand needed.

Will boil 2 cups/500ml of water using 1/2oz/15ml of denatured alcohol and boil for an additional 3 min. Starting water temperature was 70 degreesF.

Will boil 6 cups of water on one filling of 1.24 oz denatured alcohol and continue to burn for 1 min.

Max fuel capacity is 1.25 oz.

Stove weighs 1 oz.

When 1/2 ounce of fuel is used this stove has the ability to absorb and hold the fuel as a safety feature. If the stove is accidently tipped over the fuel will not spill out.(Just like the StarLyte)

Very efficient stove for backpacking, camping and hiking. Great for stove collectors also.
This stove is a compilation of features found in several different stoves that I have made over the years. The StarLyte, Fancee Feest, Cobalt and Cobalt Blue and also the Hole-In-One.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/sub%20two/th_2007-08-27234918.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/sub%20two/?action=view&current=2007-08-27234918.flv)

unclemjm
08-21-2009, 15:31
Nice. I continue to be impressed by your creativity. Gonna have to add that stove to my "gee I don't have one of those yet so I really need one" list.

zelph
08-24-2009, 10:44
Nice. I continue to be impressed by your creativity. Gonna have to add that stove to my "gee I don't have one of those yet so I really need one" list.

Thank You Unclemjm.

The BudLyte is capable of simmering and here is how it's done.
I added a small stainless steel assist bar to it to make it move easier. !.2 ounce of fuel is in the stove for this demo.
A simmer feature is normally used after the water has boiled when the stove is warmed. The simmer ring at that time is raised to a predetermined height using the lines on the side of the stove.
Practice with the stove will help determine at what height the ring should be raised to. It's hard to see flame size during daylight hours so a predetermined height needs to be established.

Those of you that use the Featherfire, how have you been able to adjust the flame size during daylight hours when you can't see the stove's flame? When I tested the FF the simmer adjustment was questionable because I couldn't see the flame and there was no visible means of knowing how much air was being let in. I thought maybe counting the number of turns on the controlling knob might work.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/th_BudlLyteSuperStoveSimmers.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/?action=view&current=BudlLyteSuperStoveSimmers.flv)

hoz
08-24-2009, 17:33
That's a nifty simmer ring Zelph!

unclemjm
08-24-2009, 18:47
Pretty sweet simmer adjuster. I'm thinking that one would want to practice a bit with cool water in the pot until you get smooth at adjusting. I like the handle too.

dmax
08-25-2009, 16:20
Nice stove!

Ender
08-25-2009, 16:33
OK, that thing's just slick looking. Nice!

zelph
08-25-2009, 22:00
Thanks everyone for the compliments. I'm going to try some tests with iso90 and see what happens.:)

Tinker
08-25-2009, 22:27
Very nice.

zelph
08-26-2009, 11:56
Just for the heck of it check out this rough terrain pot support accessory:)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/sub%20two/th_2007-09-01232652.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/sub%20two/?action=view&current=2007-09-01232652.flv)

Homer&Marje
08-26-2009, 12:23
Any how to's on building that one zelph? Really nice features that I like on it and would like to understand the bottomless system more.

bishopj
08-26-2009, 12:42
If you are out hiking in Feb how long would it take it to boil two cup of water
at 32 deg.

Mrpokey
08-26-2009, 23:41
Thats just awesome. Now Where can I get How To instructions?

Spokes
08-27-2009, 07:44
Any how to's on building that one zelph? Really nice features that I like on it and would like to understand the bottomless system more.

Yes..........How-to's please..................

Maddog
08-27-2009, 07:48
awesome stove!:)

zelph
08-27-2009, 10:21
I did a couple of tests with iso91 and it left soot on the outside edge of the pot. If I were to reduce the distance flame to pot it would probably do ok. I ventured:)

How to's???? I made this stove in the same manner as the "Cobalt" same forming tool. I just cut the bottom off the stove and turned it upsidedown and then made an additional cut to determin the height of the pot stand.

I'm getting ready to go out on a solo two week adventure. Most of my time has been spent on getting things done around the house and yard. Stove time has been reduced considerably.:(

Drawings and samples of this stove have been submitted for a patent search to see if it's worthy of a patent. I really like this one.

at 32 deg.

12 minutes to bring it to a boil I speculate.:) I'll have to wait til Feb to test my theory.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

sheepdog
08-27-2009, 13:48
Does not having a bottom make the stove weaker and more suseptible to crushing? I have your cobalt stove and it seems bomb proof.

zelph
08-27-2009, 15:26
Does not having a bottom make the stove weaker and more suseptible to crushing? I have your cobalt stove and it seems bomb proof.

Yes it makes it weaker than the cobalt. Can't be used as a step stool or for target practice:D It's very durable for heating water:banana Might add that it's very efficient.;)

This stove is evolving;) Removing the heavy bottom allowed for additional fuel absorbing material to be used without adding weight. The stove remains at 1 ounce. Cold pots of water have no effect on this stove.

Mrpokey
08-28-2009, 01:13
Would you mind posting a link to the instructions here. My search is bringing up results but not the bottomless stove. Thanks!

JoshStover
08-28-2009, 01:44
Where can I go to buy one of your stoves Zelph?

Mrpokey
08-28-2009, 02:13
I also would like to purchase on of these from you, that is if the price is right ;)

zelph
08-28-2009, 23:48

Here, I'll send you a pm.

Big Dawg
09-20-2009, 16:18
I was just at the grocery store, & having read this thread earlier, I decided to check out the beer isle for some bud light aluminum bottles,,, & :eek:,, none to be found. Are these discontinued or hard to find? I really want to make a budlyte stove now.

zelph
10-25-2009, 01:37

I also would like to purchase on of these from you, that is if the price is right ;)

Hi Josh and Mrpokey, I finally stayed home long enough to get a batch of these stoves made and have made them available at "zelphs' StoveWorks (http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3307)" Just in time for Christmas:) Also available are the "StarLyte" the "Cobalt Blue", the "Fancee Feest" and the "Cobalt" All 4 are available at the above location and they will soon be available on ebay also. ("Cobalt Blue Soloist" and the "Cobalt" were listed today on ebay.)

zelph
12-13-2009, 18:02
This is a video that shows the wind resistng qualities of the "SuperStove"

"SuperStove" Wind Resistance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po0FrMBLcrM)

"SuperStove" using Lamp Oil in an emergency situation when alcohol is not available. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgGeQGDRcqg)

Red Beard
12-13-2009, 19:22
I was just at the grocery store, & having read this thread earlier, I decided to check out the beer isle for some bud light aluminum bottles,,, & :eek:,, none to be found. Are these discontinued or hard to find? I really want to make a budlyte stove now.

I'm in the same area as you Big Dawg, and I've yet to see them. I've been to Food Lion, Lowes, HT, and Total Wine. I'm not so sure those bottles have made it to the southeast yet. I just went ahead and bought one of Zelph's. It's a pretty awesome stove.

Big Dawg
12-13-2009, 22:01
I'm in the same area as you Big Dawg, and I've yet to see them. I've been to Food Lion, Lowes, HT, and Total Wine. I'm not so sure those bottles have made it to the southeast yet. I just went ahead and bought one of Zelph's. It's a pretty awesome stove.

yea.. just sent a PM to Zelph for one. I remember seeing the aluminum bottles at HT 8-12 months ago, seems they came and went. I remember one of those bottle designs were black & red. I would REALLY love a super stove w/ that color scheme. That's just being rediculous though. Blue will do just fine.

Chaco Taco
12-13-2009, 22:30
Love your stoves Zelph. STILL have my original Starlyte, 2500 miles later, still going strong

mkmangold
12-13-2009, 23:43

Try the "Venom" energy drink bottle. Same thick aluminum, less filling.

zelph
12-14-2009, 11:31
Thank You for your comments.

A full size 16 ounce bottle is required to make a "Super Stove" and I'm guessing the Venom bottle is shorter. Am I right on the size?

The stoves that I ship today will have a scribed line inside the center portion of the stove. In case of an emergency, the stove can be easily modified to burn "Coleman" fuel efficiently. In the near future I'll make the information public on how to make the modification. Good test results are coming in on the use of the fuel. An example is: 10ml of fuel will boil 2 cups of water with a beginning temperature of 35 degrees in 30 degree air temps. 12 min. boil times. Most of you might know that Coleman fuel has lots more energy in it than alcohol, that's the reason for such good numbers on the recent tests.

The "Super Stove" is evolving into a truly super stove. The evolution began with the StarLyte, then came the Fancee Feest/Ring Of Fire and then the Cobalt/Cobalt Blue Soloist and now the "Super Stove" They are all one piece stoves and are wickatized.

Mr. Pokey....the price is right!!!!!!

mkmangold
12-14-2009, 17:30
Thank You for your comments.

A full size 16 ounce bottle is required to make a "Super Stove" and I'm guessing the Venom bottle is shorter. Am I right on the size? Mr. Pokey....the price is right!!!!!!

Try this: http://www.venomenergy.com/

On the list of ingredients, it says a serving size is 8oz and that there are "about two" servings per container. So it's close.

You know what? I have your address Zelph (if you're still in Rockford). I'll just ship 'em out to you.

zelph
12-14-2009, 18:33
Try this: http://www.venomenergy.com/

On the list of ingredients, it says a serving size is 8oz and that there are "about two" servings per container. So it's close.

You know what? I have your address Zelph (if you're still in Rockford). I'll just ship 'em out to you.

Your're right, looks like they'll work. I hope they are the same diameter as the dew/beer bottles. I'm still in Rockford, send them on over and we'll make a trade.;)

Big Dawg
12-15-2009, 00:04
lookin forward to my super stove. thanks again Zelph!

Big Dawg
12-15-2009, 00:09
Try the "Venom" energy drink bottle. Same thick aluminum, less filling.

oooh... what an awesomely wicked looking black & red bottle!!! now that's what I'm talking about!!! :cool:

brooklynkayak
12-16-2009, 18:54
I got mine today. Haven't had time to use it in the outdoors yet.
My initial review using hardware store denatured alky:

Well made. The stoves I make always look a mess.

It is beefy. Won't be easily crushed.

Very stable, I won't be needing the pot stand any more.

The flame kind of mellows down during the last few minutes, like an automatic simmer mode.

The flame is clean and appears efficient.

mkmangold
12-17-2009, 22:13
Your're right, looks like they'll work. I hope they are the same diameter as the dew/beer bottles. I'm still in Rockford, send them on over and we'll make a trade.;)

Seven Venom bottles and one old "Energy" bottle on their way!

Big Dawg
12-18-2009, 12:26
Seven Venom bottles and one old "Energy" bottle on their way!

:-? ..... hmmmmmm,,,

Zelph,, let me know how these turn out!!

Gladiator
12-18-2009, 22:45
Two more thumbs up for the Super Stove. High praise for clever design, efficiency, durability and light weight. The Super Stove rocks!

zelph
12-18-2009, 23:20
Gladiator Big Dawg mkmangold brooklynkayak..........thank you for your interest in the Super Stove. It's working really well for all those that have purchased one. I'm behind schedule, I'll try to get the modification video up tomorrow so you can see what the Coleman fuel looks like when it burns in the stove. It's amazing.....

My wife has me running in circles:banana big cookie making day tomorrow with familly members coming over to play cookie monsters;) I'm in the process of making a bed for an American Girl doll :D for my grandaughter. She'll love me more after Tomorrow:banana:banana:banana I'll have it finished then.

Christmas time is always a busy time around my house. I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Healthy and Prosperous New Year.

It's going to be interesting making some stoves with the Venom bottles, thank you to the max mkmangold. You'll be the first to get one.

Big Dawg
12-19-2009, 11:04
I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Healthy and Prosperous New Year.

It's going to be interesting making some stoves with the Venom bottles, thank you to the max mkmangold. You'll be the first to get one.

Merry Christmas & Happy new Year to you too!

Venom Super Stove... maybe I'll be the first to "BUY" one!!

Charlie D
12-19-2009, 22:00
I would like to purchase one of these stoves also. Please send me ordering instructions

zelph
12-19-2009, 23:59
I would like to purchase one of these stoves also. Please send me ordering instructions

Be glad to send you a PM with instructions. Thank You for your interest in the design. I still have some left.

Blue Wolf
12-20-2009, 01:04
I'd like one where do I get one?

mkmangold
12-20-2009, 01:22
Zelph should be getting his Venom bottles Monday or Tuesday. Maybe he can make stoves tall enough to include the logo.

zelph
12-20-2009, 12:37
Choco and Blue Wolf a message has been sent:)

The Venom bottles are peeking some interest:-? I have not even seen them on the shelves locally:confused: Not trying hard enough:) I'll make some stoves up as soon as they arrive and post the photos. I still owe you all a video on how to convert the stove to Coleman Fuel/white gas for the Euro viewers.

I'm in the midst of Christmas activities.:banana Hope you are also!!!!

Chaco Taco
12-20-2009, 16:21
Im torn though. I really like the Starlyte setup with the greasepot and the angked windscreen. Really have enjoyed the Starlyte.

Bags4266
12-20-2009, 18:22
Zelph, Nice ideas. I made one like your colbalt( the one w/ the screen sandwiched) but I extended the inner piece 3/4 inch high to act as a pot holder for the Heini Can( like your budlite superstove). This little thing works great. 1/4 oz fuel boil 1 cup water, 1/2 or less does 2 cups. Only offset is the weight well over 1 oz to my cat stove. Nontheless great stove that I plan on using. Thanks!!!

zelph
12-20-2009, 21:12
Chaco Toco, I'll have the grease pot kits available next week....that set-up really works well. Everyone knows I get sidetracked:rolleyes:...I think everyone knows that this stove selling thing is just a hobby, I make them available for the fun of it.

Bags4266, you made the "Acorn" stove, the one that "Just tinkering" designed, right????

I did the video on the modification so it will burn Coleman fuel. Do not use coleman fuel until complete instructions are given by me on how to fully use it. This video is just an overview to show how the fuel burns in it. Caution is of the utmost when using this type of fuel.

I've boiled 2 cups of 30 degree water in 35 degree air temperatures using just 1/3 oz of fuel, 10ml of fuel.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/sub%20two/th_SuperStoveModification.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/sub%20two/?action=view&current=SuperStoveModification.flv)

Chaco Taco
12-20-2009, 21:36
Chaco Toco, I'll have the grease pot kits available next week....that set-up really works well. Everyone knows I get sidetracked:rolleyes:...I think everyone knows that this stove selling thing is just a hobby, I make them available for the fun of it.

Bags4266, you made the "Acorn" stove, the one that "Just tinkering" designed, right????

I did the video on the modification so it will burn Coleman fuel. Do not use coleman fuel until complete instructions are given by me on how to fully use it. This video is just an overview to show how the fuel burns in it. Caution is of the utmost when using this type of fuel.

I've boiled 2 cups of 30 degree water in 35 degree air temperatures using just 1/3 oz of fuel, 10ml of fuel.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/sub%20two/th_SuperStoveModification.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/sub%20two/?action=view&current=SuperStoveModification.flv)

How much does the whole kit weigh????

Gumbi
12-21-2009, 09:55
Will this white gas modification also burn unleaded gas?

zelph
12-21-2009, 12:37
Will this white gas modification also burn unleaded gas?

No, won't do unleaded maybe E85. I have to try some E85 when I get a chance.

Choco Toco, Weight of stove, windscreen and fuel bottle is 2.7 ounces

Chaco Taco
12-21-2009, 13:11
No, won't do unleaded maybe E85. I have to try some E85 when I get a chance.

Choco Toco, Weight of stove, windscreen and fuel bottle is 2.7 ounces

Perfect, let me know when you have some of the Starlytes with the windscreen, and grease pot.

Connie
12-21-2009, 15:32
I already know I would like a blue one for alcohol and a red one for white gas.

I already wanted to have a Vargo Titanium Sierra 750 Cup (http://www.readypro.biz/vargo-titanium-sierra-750-750.html) and titanium foil (http://www.titaniumgoat.com/windscreens.html) from Titanium Goat to make a caldera clone discussed elsewhere in the forum so I could have alcohol, WetFire, and a twiggy fire.

Now, it looks like I can have a true multi-fuel cooking system: white gas and also diesel.

If I understand the Zellph YouTube video.

I have questions:

Isn't it too hot to pick up and adjust to simmer after boiling water?

Does diameter of the aluminum can matter?

Does the thickness of the aluminum can matter?

I went to the convenience store looking for the Venom aluminum cans because the grocery store didn't have the Venom energy drink. There are a lot of very nice looking aluminum energy drinks, coffee drinks, soda pop and beer cans. How about a Starbucks can? Will it work?

I haven't done any of this, yet, just thinking...

cruisaire
12-21-2009, 16:44
Kroger's carries the Venom around here (metro ATL) while most of the convenience stores in high crime/low income areas have the Venom in all 4 colors. It is a very durable bottle, similar to the gauge on some of the "new" water bottles out there. I've made several stoves using the Venom and it is the toughest I've found.

zelph
12-21-2009, 17:32
I already know I would like a blue one for alcohol and a red one for white gas.

Now, it looks like I can have a true multi-fuel cooking system: white gas and also diesel.

If I understand the Zellph YouTube video.

I have questions:

Isn't it too hot to pick up and adjust to simmer after boiling water?

Does diameter of the aluminum can matter?

Does the thickness of the aluminum can matter?

I have not tried diesel fuel, it has an additive to prevent gelling in winter time conditions. Low odor mineral spirits works. In the summer you'll be able to use the liquid fuel used for food tray warming, chafer fuel.

Yes the stove is too hot to pick up after boiling. Take the pot off and hold the stove firm with tent stake or whatever is available to make the adjustment. The simmer adjustment was to show it has the abilities to simmer. I do not furnish the simmer rings. It would be a DIY project.

If you make an Acorn stove, can thickness won't matter.

Bags4266
12-21-2009, 17:44
Yea Zelph, my bad. It was a acorn. Great idea!

take-a-knee
12-21-2009, 18:59
at 32 deg.

IME, all these "super efficient" kitchen counter stoves take about an ounce to boil a pint of cold water, especially this time of year. If you carry less fuel than this, you'll be eating cold food at the end of a hike.

Connie
12-21-2009, 19:36
Zelph,

Mineral spirits are found in hardware stores: more multi-fuel options. :)

Chafer fuel is liquid paraffin?

How does one make a simmer ring?

The inner diameter would have to match the outer diameter of your BudLyte Super Stove to slide over the outside.

I don't plan on making stoves. I am not skilled at that sort of thing.

Besides it is really clear from the pictures, and the video, you have made the BudLyte Super Stove double-wall and it has a wick insert.

zelph
12-21-2009, 19:37
at 32 deg.

Using the Super Stove and a windscreen that reaches to the top rim of your pot and also using denatured Alcohol, you should get the boil with 3/4 ounce of fuel 20ml. You also have to use my 2.5 cup aluminum pot;)

Lots of variables in the use of alcohol stoves.

mkmangold, I received the Venom bottles. It was like opening a Christmas Present:) The size is not convertable into a Super Stove. The diameter is larger and the height is shorter. I'll make a die to convert them into something similar. Not right away, but it will get done.;) We might have to call them "The Antidote":D

zelph
12-21-2009, 20:00
Zelph,

Mineral spirits are found in hardware stores: more multi-fuel options. :)

Chafer fuel is liquid paraffin?

How does one make a simmer ring?

The inner diameter would have to match the outer diameter of your BudLyte Super Stove to slide over the outside.

I don't plan on making stoves. I am not skilled at that sort of thing.

Besides it is really clear from the pictures, and the video, you have made the BudLyte Super Stove double-wall and it has a wick insert.

I can make you a simmer ring out of an aluminum bottle and include it with your stove.

Take a look at this site for more information (http://www.google.com/search?q=chafer+fuel+wick&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8&rlz=)on liquid chafer fuel.

Yes, the cobalt Blue Soloist has fiberglass cloth between the potstand and the wall of the stove. I makes for the tight fit of the potstand so it wont fall out and it withstands the high heat.

Connie
12-21-2009, 20:07
Thank you for the offer. I will place my order after a few days.

Liquid chafer fuel is lamp fuel, seen in hobby stores?

It usually is bright red or another bright color.

It will not clog up the wick? If so, more multi-fuel options. :)

I have seen liquid chafer fuel at a restaurant supply, at Cash and Carry, and so forth.

It is just that when I am hiking, I don't expect to be near the big city.

I was "googling" around some more: low odor mineral spirits are also known as Stoddard Solvent or naptha.

Is that correct?

If so, it would seem any "trail town" would have a fuel that will work with this stove.

mkmangold
12-21-2009, 20:42
mkmangold, I received the Venom bottles. It was like opening a Christmas Present:) The size is not convertable into a Super Stove. The diameter is larger and the height is shorter. I'll make a die to convert them into something similar. Not right away, but it will get done.;) We might have to call them "The Antidote":D

Durn! Catchy name, though. Have a great Christmas and PM me when you do the die thing.

brooklynkayak
12-22-2009, 09:23
It is just that when I am hiking, I don't expect to be near the big city.

Then you can use alcohol. You can get denatured at most any hardware store. Heet(not the isopropyl version) at gas stations and auto parts stores. Fondue and food warmer fuel at supermarkets.
And many other sources. Methyl, denatured and most any alcohol that is it least 80% works good.
Isopropyl will work, but is not as efficient and soots up the pot.

Ethyl alcohol is great, but way to expensive in the USA.

zelph
12-22-2009, 11:15
Thank you for the offer. I will place my order after a few days.

Liquid chafer fuel is lamp fuel, seen in hobby stores?

I have seen liquid chafer fuel at a restaurant supply, at Cash and Carry, and so forth.

I was "googling" around some more: low odor mineral spirits are also known as Stoddard Solvent or naptha.

Is that correct?

If so, it would seem any "trail town" would have a fuel that will work with this stove.

Chafer fuel in not lamp fuel. Lamp fuel is highly refined kerosene and so is Mineral Spirits.

I've seen mineral spirits refered to as Stoddard Solvent but no naptha.

Concentrate on alcohol as your goto fuel for your hike. All the other ones as an emergency only. You won't have any trouble finding fuel for the Super Stove.

dmax
12-29-2009, 21:38
I received my Budlyte stove today. Thanks Zelph, It looks great! Maybe I'll try it out tomarrow on a day hike to Beauty Spot. I'll take some hot chocolate to warm up. They say that the wind chill will be below 0*.

Blue Wolf
12-29-2009, 21:46
Can't wait to get mine!

Connie
12-29-2009, 22:45
I admit I did not check the mail, today, for mine.

It's snowing in 4-6" snow Portland Oregon. It's the "global warming"...

No driving, cars are strewn all over the place. 25-33 miles backed up on I-5 alone. No mailman.

. . .

zelph
12-30-2009, 11:28
I admit I did not check the mail, today, for mine.

It's snowing in 4-6" snow Portland Oregon. It's the "global warming"...

No driving, cars are strewn all over the place. 25-33 miles backed up on I-5 alone. No mailman.

. . .

:-? Something about west coast driving in the snow. My daughter lives in SanDiego and said when she went for a drive up in the higher elevations and there was an indication of snow, everybody started stopping their cars along the highway to put on tire chains. She being from Illinois and accustomed to midwest winter driving just sat in her car and chuckled while waiting for the car in front of her to finish the chain thing. She was amused.

Stoves are in the mail..........:)

I ran out of the beer bottle ones and now have them made from mountain dew bottles. I have them listed on ebay also if someone needs a fast transaction direct to paypal. I usually ship same day as funds arrive or next day if the mailperson has already gone by my house.

Connie
12-30-2009, 13:04
MountainLyte? DewLyte?

Zelph you have a "PM". Thank you.

zelph
12-30-2009, 14:42
MountainLyte? DewLyte?

Zelph you have a "PM". Thank you.

Do right, get a DewLyte........ooooooh, I like it:)

Connie
12-30-2009, 21:11
I am calling mine the MountainLyte because I hike lightweight in the mountains.

DewLyte, fine. But when the stoves get here they are my MountainLyte stoves.

There is something to be said "Light as Dew - DewLyte"

zelph
12-30-2009, 23:42
I am calling mine the MountainLyte because I hike lightweight in the mountains.

DewLyte, fine. But when the stoves get here they are my MountainLyte stoves.

There is something to be said "Light as Dew - DewLyte"

MountainLyte it is:) A friend recently emailed me and said his MountainLyte is doing well at 6,000 feet.:) No problems lighting in cold temps to boot.....

Connie
12-30-2009, 23:45
6,000 feet: that is what I hoped for.

Foyt20
12-31-2009, 12:30
Well, just ordered my "DewLyte" on ebay. Psyched to see it show up. Thanks for your innovations Zelph. Happy New Year :D.

zelph
01-02-2010, 13:03
Well, just ordered my "DewLyte" on ebay. Psyched to see it show up. Thanks for your innovations Zelph. Happy New Year :D.

We're off to a great start:) I'm all sold out. I'll be making more all day today and will be ready to ship on Monday.

Thanks to all for your support on my stove research and development. I've had loads of fun here on WB in the past years. I've tried to make it to trail days to get to meet alot of you in person but plans always seem to be changed at the last minute:( I'm looking forward to this new year of 2010. I wish all a Healthy and Prosperous New Year.:)

mkmangold
01-02-2010, 18:59
I've had loads of fun here on WB in the past years. I've tried to make it to trails days to get to meet alot of you in person but plans always seem to be changed at the last minute:(

Happy New Year to you, too! You could always hike with some of us on the Ice Age Trail :sun

Connie
01-02-2010, 19:23
Thank you! My "MountainLyte" Super Stoves (http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPER-STOVE-SUPER-STOVE-SUPER-STOVE-alcohol-meths_W0QQitemZ250552469468QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item3a561747dc) arrived.

I am not a bit surprised you sold them out. I do hope you make more.

They are beautiful. I showed them to the camping stove order person at Portland Oregon Next Adventure store. He really liked the choice of alcohol stove or trimming it for white gas or having it either way by having two.

I like the fact you have the Super Stove (http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPER-STOVE-SUPER-STOVE-SUPER-STOVE-alcohol-meths_W0QQitemZ250552469468QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item3a561747dc) at the eBay store.

That way, no matter what container you do use it will always be the "Super Stove".

mweinstone
01-03-2010, 19:22
when i created zelph, i really outdid myzelph.

mkmangold
01-03-2010, 19:50

Matt's guilty of zelph-abuse.

mweinstone
01-03-2010, 20:06
Zelph's
Endevors
Leave
People
Happy

zelph
01-04-2010, 14:27
:)

You have a
Whimsical
Way
With
Words
Worth
Wanting
Weinstone
:banana

Connie, I'm making more today;) Your windscreen might go out today also.

mkmangold, I'll send something out your way also.

The_Saint
01-04-2010, 16:52
What's the charge for the full setup, windscreen-stove-cup-etc.?

zelph
01-04-2010, 18:49
What's the charge for the full setup, windscreen-stove-cup-etc.?

An additional $5.00 for an E-Zfold windscreen and heat reflector tray and a few fuel cups. and also FREE shipping.;)

Foyt20
01-04-2010, 21:02
Zelph, I have to say, this is one of the neatest stoves I have ever seen. Simple, yet gets the job done. And, I ordered it New Years eve, and it showed up the 1/2/2009. I cant even get an insurance card that fast from down the street.

It works great with my snowpeak 700, and I can boil 2 cups on 1/2 oz of fuel under optimal conditions (In the kitchen). Just have to put a windscreen together and I will have one solid setup that my wife didnt have to get angry about me leaving my stove making supplies all over the kitchen table for a few days.

Thanks Zelph, and Ill be watching for the next big thing.

Foyt20
01-04-2010, 21:42
That you design.

mkmangold
01-05-2010, 02:57
mkmangold, I'll send something out your way also.

Take your time: with this Arctic blast I'm not headed out anytime soon.

What's your experience with E85? It worked for me well in the Fancee Feast, Starlyte, and Coleman Stove. I'm only worried that it may be too volatile in the summer heat.

mkmangold
01-06-2010, 23:36
Zelph: I received mine today. Thanks so much. That stove is truly awesome.
Here are my results tonight:
Temp: 20 deg F
Wind: 3mph
Goal: bring 2 cups of cold tap water (50 deg F?) to a boil
Fuel: E85
Amount: 3/4 oz
Time: 8 mins 11 secs
Good news: E85 works in alcohol stoves, at least in low temperatures
Bad news: E85 stinks
Good job Zelph!

zelph
01-07-2010, 10:33
Zelph: I received mine today. Thanks so much. That stove is truly awesome.
Here are my results tonight:
Temp: 20 deg F
Wind: 3mph
Goal: bring 2 cups of cold tap water (50 deg F?) to a boil
Fuel: E85
Amount: 3/4 oz
Time: 8 mins 11 secs
Good news: E85 works in alcohol stoves, at least in low temperatures
Bad news: E85 stinks
Good job Zelph!

Wow, that was super fast delivery, everything is "Super" about the Super Stove.
:o I did have one delivery go bad. It's seems to have disappeared into the postal system. The good news is another one will be shipped today at no charge to the whiteblazer that is anxiously waiting for one.:)

Glad to hear E85 can be considered one of the emergency fuels that can be used in the regular alcohol model. White gas doesn't smell that good either. Nor does esbit for that matter:eek:

nitewalker
01-07-2010, 11:21
Wow, that was super fast delivery, everything is "Super" about the Super Stove.
:o I did have one delivery go bad. It's seems to have disappeared into the postal system. The good news is another one will be shipped today at no charge to the whiteblazer that is anxiously waiting for one.:)

Glad to hear E85 can be considered one of the emergency fuels that can be used in the regular alcohol model. White gas doesn't smell that good either. Nor does esbit for that matter:eek:

im hoping to get my order in today. im hoping my order was not the one that went missing but if so i will be impatiently waiting.:D thanks zelph and keep up the good work.

nitewalker
01-07-2010, 20:27
it wasnt my order that was lost. i got my dewlight super stoves in today, yooohooo!! i just happened to be going to the outfitter as i retrieved the stoves out of the mailbox. i brought one of the stoves into the outfitter and they were all in awe of my brandy new dewlight super stove. they couldnt belive how light and nifty it looked. also the simplicity of the craftsmanship was another thing they liked. i told them where and who supplies the stove. maybe word of mouth will get more orders for zelph stoveworks.. zelph i would like to thank you once again.....

Bags4266
01-07-2010, 20:40
Zelp you need a store web site instead of the forum. Your sales would improve.

Big Dawg
01-07-2010, 21:11
Hey Zelph,,, if I came across some black & red bud aluminum bottles, and sent them to you, would you make me a super stove out of them? how many bottles does it take to make a super stove? same price or different price if I supply the bottles?

Big Dawg
01-07-2010, 21:28
Also, do you have any more of the Mtn Dew Super Stoves w/ the green eyes?... checking for a friend.

&, I'm not sure where you get your Mtn Dew bottles, but any chance you have access to the Troy Denning dragon design Mtn Dew bottle?

zelph
01-08-2010, 14:25

Good news......the original stove arrived yesterday:) the better news is a second freebee is on the way;)....hey!!! stuff happens;)

maybe word of mouth will get more orders for zelph stoveworks.. zelph i would like to thank you once again.....

Thanks for the compliment and showing the stove to others and glad they liked it also.:)

Zelph you need a store web site instead of the forum. Your sales would improve.

I agree, my bplite site is vintage:D and needs refinement to say the least. My computer time is limited, my daughter lives on the computer during the day and my wife is on it for enless hours at night.

Hey Zelph,,, if I came across some black & red bud aluminum bottles, and sent them to you, would you make me a super stove out of them? how many bottles does it take to make a super stove? same price or different price if I supply the bottles?

Also, do you have any more of the Mtn Dew Super Stoves w/ the green eyes?... checking for a friend.

&, I'm not sure where you get your Mtn Dew bottles, but any chance you have access to the Troy Denning dragon design Mtn Dew bottle?

It takes one bottle to make a stoveIf you send me 12 bottles I make one stove for you and ship free.

I have dewLyte stoves with the green eyes:) but don't have access to the Troy Denning Dragon(that's a cool one) I made one or two into "Cobalt" stoves when they first came out. None left.

Big Dawg
01-09-2010, 11:27
How about the "Chase" Mountain Dew bottle Super Stove,,, any of those left? what is that design anyway... squiggly lines, or does it mean anything?

Big Dawg
01-09-2010, 11:30
How about the "Chase" Mountain Dew bottle Super Stove,,, any of those left? what is that design anyway... squiggly lines, or does it mean anything?

bottle also called "Circle of 8" by Evan Coburn

zelph
01-09-2010, 13:35
bottle also called "Circle of 8" by Evan Coburn

I'm all out of the "Circle of 8"

I have "the revolution will be mechanized"( metalic green)

and a few "wake up" (metalic aluminum with green eyes")

nitewalker
01-09-2010, 15:13
Mountain Dew Unveils Aluminum Bottle Series

Posted: 5/15/2007 10:50 AMhttp://www.bevnet.com/bevblog/wp-content/themes/silver-lexus-08/icons/icon_comment.gif (http://www.bevnet.com/news/2007/05-15-2007-Mountain_Dew_Aluminum.asp#comments) 25 Comments (http://www.bevnet.com/news/2007/05-15-2007-Mountain_Dew_Aluminum.asp#comments) | http://webimgs.bevnet.com/Btn_Images/mail.png (http://www.bevnet.com/news/2007/05-15-2007-Mountain_Dew_Aluminum.asp#) Email (http://www.bevnet.com/news/2007/05-15-2007-Mountain_Dew_Aluminum.asp#)
http://s7.addthis.com/static/btn/lg-share-en.gif (http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=20) First Time a Carbonated Soft Drink will be Offered in Aluminum Bottle in U.S...'Green Label Art' to Feature 12 Unique Designs...

http://www.bevnet.com/news/images/20075151058530.PEPSI-COLA-COMPANY-SKATEBOR.jpgPURCHASE, NY - May 15, 2007 - Mountain Dew today announced the launch of Green Label Art, a limited-edition series of aluminum bottles featuring designs created by a variety of artists. The Green Label Art series (http://www.greenlabelart.com (http://www.greenlabelart.com/)) will be released May through October in select markets. This series marks the first time a carbonated soft drink will be packaged in an aluminum bottle in the U.S.

The Green Label Art artists are an eclectic mix, ranging in style and notoriety, from apparel and sneaker designers to a vinyl action/toy designer and a lead singer from a top indie band. In addition, Paul Rodriguez, a professional skateboarder sponsored by Mountain Dew, collaborated on a design with skater-turned-artist, Chris Pastras.

The artists were given a plain, 16-ounce aluminum bottle and asked to create their expressions of Mountain Dew. Treating the bottles as a canvas, the artists used a variety of approaches and applications including: tattoo design, cut-and-paste materials, paint, charcoals and computer graphics.

"Green Label Art is about Mountain Dew facilitating creativity and self-expression that goes well beyond the package artwork," said Frank Cooper, VP of marketing for Mountain Dew. "These artists used a unique Mountain Dew bottle as their canvas and extended it to other related projects such as short films, clothing and gallery showings."

The bottles themselves are only part of the picture Mountain Dew is painting for Green Label Art. Each artist has found different ways to incorporate his Mountain Dew designs into other projects:

* Graffiti artist Dr. Revolt has customized a tricked out low-rider bicycle, painting the frame in the same style as his Mountain Dew bottle

* Tattoo artist Troy Denning collaborated with New Era on a limited-edition hat based on his design

* Graphic designer Mark Nardelli created limited-edition skateboard decks
with his Mountain Dew artwork

* Stencil artist Peat Wollaeger made a viral video in which he portrays, in costume, the whimsical Dew Hillbilly icon of 1960's depicted on his bottle

* Collage artist Adam Juresko designed a zippered hoodie sweatshirt featuring his Mountain Dew artwork

* Guitarist and lead singer for Hawthorne Heights JT Woodruff will feature
his design on the cover of his special-edition live CD.
http://www.bevnet.com/news/images/2007515110180.PEPSI-COLA-COMPANY-TATTOO.jpg
All of the artists' projects will be on display at their individual Mountain Dew bottle launch events. The first bottle release event, which will double as a launch for the program, is on Thursday, May 17 in Los Angeles. It will feature an exhibit of the collaboration between Rodriguez (P-Rod) and Pastras and will take place in the Chinatown district.

A multimedia micro-site, http://www.greenlabelart.com (http://www.greenlabelart.com/), launches today. The site will feature artist portfolios, behind-the-scene videos and detailed event highlights. In addition, Green Label Art is hosting a consumer-generated bottle design contest. Consumers will have all the tools necessary to design an individualized bottle through an interactive submission platform on the website. The general public can then vote for their favorite consumer-designed bottle. The winning artist will be awarded $10,000 and be a part of the next wave of Green Label Art designs.

The artists participating in Green Label Art are:
* TWEEQiM (miQ wilmOtt and THUY3) - vinyl action figures/toys; LA
* Troy Denning - tattoo artist; NYC
* Peat Wollaeger - stencil artist; St. Louis
* Mark Nardelli (created two designs for 5 Boro) - skateboard graphics designer; NYC
* jeffstaple - sneaker and apparel designer; NYC
* Methamphibian - sneaker and apparel designer; NYC
* Chris Pastras (with P-Rod) - skater/artist; LA
* Adam Juresko - collage artist; Richmond, Va.
* Dr. Revolt - graffiti artist; NYC
* Chuck Anderson - photo illustration artist; Chicago
* J.T. Woodruff (for Hawthorne Heights) - lead singer/painter; Dayton, Oh.

ABOUT MOUNTAIN DEW
Mountain Dew is a product of the Purchase, N.Y.-based Pepsi-Cola North America (http://www.pepsi.com), (http://www.pepsi.com),/) the refreshment beverage unit of PepsiCo, Inc., in the United States and Canada. Pepsi-Cola North America's other brands include Pepsi

Connie
01-09-2010, 19:25
nitewalker, Those new Dew aluminum bottles are so elegant.

Here is my Zelph "MountainLyte" Super Stove setup:

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/conniedhttp://img189.imageshack.us/img189/5023/superstovesetup.jpg

Everything arrived. I will soon have a video.

I like the clip, rather than the Cone slot closure.

It is more easily adjusted. Also, it is very stable.

Thank you, zelph. Now, you know I am well equipped.

. . .
http://yfrog.com/59superstovesetupj

nitewalker
01-10-2010, 01:28
just did two test runs with the mountain dew/ bud lyte super stove and came up with these results. i used two types of fuel in two totally different evironments. my first test run was with household rubbing alchohol[isopropyl?] only because i had no denatured and i was also in the comfort of a 65* house. these are the results.

1oz isoprpyl rubing alchol
65* temperature no wind
13min 18 sec boil time
16 min aprox total burntime after boil. i used a 6 cup stainless pot 4 inch rd w/ lid.

my second test run was after i went to lowes and got some denature alchohol and here is the result

1 oz denatured alchol
14* temp outside with mild wind maybe 4 mph tops.?.
8.30min boil time using msr titan kettle pot 4 cup capacity w/ lid & wind screen.
13 min total burn time after boil

nitewalker
01-10-2010, 01:33
nitewalker, Those new Dew aluminum bottles are so elegant.

Here is my Zelph "MountainLyte" Super Stove setup:

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/conniedhttp://img189.imageshack.us/img189/5023/superstovesetup.jpg

Everything arrived. I will soon have a video.

I like the clip, rather than the Cone slot closure.

It is more easily adjusted. Also, it is very stable.

Thank you, zelph. Now, you know I am well equipped.

. . .
http://yfrog.com/59superstovesetupj
those are some sweet looking dew bottles. i was on ebay and found some pricey aluminum bottles. i think the ones in my post are from 07 but still snazy. happy trails, nitewalker:D

nitewalker
01-10-2010, 08:54
super stove 3rd and final test run...

amount of water--2 cups
fuel used--1 oz denatured alchol
temperature outside--0*farenheit
wind speed outside--2mph
boil time--8min 38 secs
fuel run out time--12 min 45 secs

Bags4266
01-10-2010, 10:05

fuel used--denatured alchol
wind speed outside--2mph
boil time--8min 38 secs

1/2 oz fuel?

nitewalker
01-10-2010, 10:09
1/2 oz fuel?

sorry bout that bags. i used 1 ounce of fuel. i will go back and edit that info. :D done the edit has been made...

russb
01-10-2010, 10:22

wind speed outside--2mph
boil time--8min 38 secs

That works out to be about 78% efficiency!

russb
01-10-2010, 10:26
I am assuming approx 500mL of water?

Connie
01-10-2010, 19:14
2 Cups (american) = 473.176 ml
ref: online converter

Is the denatured alcohol "yellow label" Heet?

mkmangold
01-10-2010, 19:18

amount of water--2 cups
wind speed outside--2mph
boil time--8min 38 secs

That's almost exactly what I found. Assuming just over 4 minutes per 1/4 oz, 2 cups boil in over 8 minutes with 3/4 oz of fuel and an ounce runs out in almost 13 minutes.

mkmangold
01-10-2010, 19:20
That's almost exactly what I found. Assuming just over 4 minutes per 1/4 oz, 2 cups boil in over 8 minutes with 3/4 oz of fuel and an ounce runs out in almost 13 minutes.

I meant 3-4 minutes per 1/4 oz.

russb
01-10-2010, 19:22
2 Cups (american) = 473.176 ml
ref: online converter

Is the denatured alcohol "yellow label" Heet?

No. Heet is methanol.

Denatured alcohol is ethanol with a denaturing agent to make it poisonous (usually methanol). Most in the US get S-L-X Denatured which is about a 95%/5% ratio IIRC.

nitewalker
01-10-2010, 20:30
No. Heet is methanol.

Denatured alcohol is ethanol with a denaturing agent to make it poisonous (usually methanol). Most in the US get S-L-X Denatured which is about a 95%/5% ratio IIRC.

this type of denatured is the one i am using s-l-x. i ran another test this afternoon showing off the stove to a hiking buddy and came up with almost identical stats as earlier. 8.5 min boiltime for two cups of water using 1 oz of denatured in 17* temps.. total run time of just under 13 min...

russb
01-10-2010, 20:51
what was the water temp you began with?

johnnybgood
01-10-2010, 21:16
this type of denatured is the one i am using s-l-x. i ran another test this afternoon showing off the stove to a hiking buddy and came up with almost identical stats as earlier. 8.5 min boiltime for two cups of water using 1 oz of denatured in 17* temps.. total run time of just under 13 min...
The test that I ran :

Air temp >32* Wind Chill > 25* 1 ounce Methanol > 1 cup water

I lit the stove with a light breeze circulating and had water coming to a boil at 4-1/2 minutes .

Side note : I did not use a windscreen on this test.

Fuel ran for another 8 minutes approx.

zelph
01-10-2010, 23:28
1oz isoprpyl rubing alchol
65* temperature no wind
13min 18 sec boil time
16 min aprox total burntime after boil. i used a 6 cup stainless pot 4 inch rd w/ lid.

my second test run was after i went to lowes and got some denature alchohol and here is the result

1 oz denatured alchol
14* temp outside with mild wind maybe 4 mph tops.?.
8.30min boil time using msr titan kettle pot 4 cup capacity w/ lid & wind screen.
13 min total burn time after boil

The parts highlighted in red is what makes his test results amazing.

The way this stove burns will not burn the ink used on the printing of the graphics. They should stay elegant looking for a long time. Raw aluminum stoves have a tenency to take on fooe stins and hand oil etc. and become used looking in short order. The Super Stove will stay sharp looking.

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback on your findings.

We look forward to Connie's video. The photo of the cone windscreen looks professional. How will you be storing the windscreen? It fits nice in a Kmart grease pot, does it fit in the pot shown in the photo?

Connie
01-11-2010, 13:07
S-L-X Denatured?

I am in USA. Where do you find that?

The "pot" is very shallow, only 2" deep. My hope is I get hot water really fast.

My intention is to wrap the fuel bottle and keep the windscreen cone and fuel outside the pack.

If the pot gets soot, it will stay outside the pack in the net bag provided with the pot.

sheepdog
01-11-2010, 13:22
S-L-X Denatured?

I am in USA. Where do you find that?

The "pot" is very shallow, only 2" deep. My hope is I get hot water really fast.

My intention is to wrap the fuel bottle and keep the windscreen cone and fuel outside the pack.

If the pot gets soot, it will stay outside the pack in the net bag provided with the pot.
hardware stores. It is in the paint dept.

Connie
01-11-2010, 16:45
I went to the hardware store; they had never heard of that brand.

He could not assure me he had 85% alcohol either.

I "googled". "S-L-X denatured alcohol" is at Lowe's and at Walmart, Lowe's is nearby.

My interest is this: I just want to have in the video what anyone can find.

nitewalker
01-11-2010, 17:04
I went to the hardware store; they had never heard of that brand.

He could not assure me he had 85% alcohol either.

I "googled". "S-L-X denatured alcohol" is at Lowe's and at Walmart, Lowe's is nearby.

i found the s l x type at lowes in the paint striping area. it says rite on the container that one of the uses is for camping and marine stoves..

Dogwood
01-11-2010, 23:00
Kind of new to making my own stoves, learning about all the designs available, and how I might integrate a new stove w/ existing cookware, so bare w/ me. Some of what I ask might have been covered somewhere else. I'm going to buy one of your stoves Zelph. It looks like your Bud lyte Superstove is super right for me. Couple of questions. All the Budlyte Super stoves have a double inner ring and wick material? What are you using for wick material? Plumbers cloth? Muffler cloth? What is the wick's longevity? I definitely like the feature of a simmer ring like shown in the video. Is it possible to get one w/ my stove also? Does the simmer ring handle get so hot it would burn you if you touched it?

I want all my cooking gear in one integrated UL package. My thought is to have this stove inside my 28 oz Snow Peak Solo TI pot(about 800 ml) w/ a nesting fuel bottle also inside the pot, possibly nesting inside or under your stove inside the pot. And, if possible my folding spork, mini Bic lighter, and XS camp cloth. So, I really want to not have fuel leaking out of the stove into my pot in which I eat or on anything else.

Thanks for sharing, even though I know you are also marketing your stoves. You really should plan on being at some of the trail events like Traildays or the PCT Kickoff to market your stoves! Some GREAT ideas. Please PM me w/ purchase instructions and answers. Thank You Zelph.

zelph
01-12-2010, 16:47
Kind of new to making my own stoves, learning about all the designs available, and how I might integrate a new stove w/ existing cookware, so bare w/ me. Some of what I ask might have been covered somewhere else. I'm going to buy one of your stoves Zelph. It looks like your Bud lyte Superstove is super right for me. Couple of questions. All the Budlyte Super stoves have a double inner ring and wick material? What are you using for wick material? Plumbers cloth? Muffler cloth? What is the wick's longevity? I definitely like the feature of a simmer ring like shown in the video. Is it possible to get one w/ my stove also? Does the simmer ring handle get so hot it would burn you if you touched it?

I want all my cooking gear in one integrated UL package. My thought is to have this stove inside my 28 oz Snow Peak Solo TI pot(about 800 ml) w/ a nesting fuel bottle also inside the pot, possibly nesting inside or under your stove inside the pot. And, if possible my folding spork, mini Bic lighter, and XS camp cloth. So, I really want to not have fuel leaking out of the stove into my pot in which I eat or on anything else.

Thanks for sharing, even though I know you are also marketing your stoves. You really should plan on being at some of the trail events like Traildays or the PCT Kickoff to market your stoves! Some GREAT ideas. Please PM me w/ purchase instructions and answers. Thank You Zelph.

Wick material is header wrap. The simmer device handle gets too hot and so I do not offer it as an accessory. I sent a different style of simmer device to Connie and maybe in the future if I get good test results of it I'll make them available

I'm going to try and make it to trail days and other gatherings.

Thanks for the positive comments.

Edit to include: Longevity of wick is determined by users ability to take care of the stove. Wick does not get comsumed by fire/heat.

Connie
01-12-2010, 19:32
The longevity of the wick is determined by ...dropping the stove in a muddy puddle? using the wrong fuel? what?

zelph
01-13-2010, 14:43
The longevity of the wick is determined by ...dropping the stove in a muddy puddle? using the wrong fuel? what?

The wick will out live the life of the stove. You smash the stove, the wick will still be good. Spill food on it, drop it in a mud puddle.....turn it upside down and swish it around in a stream, pond, creek and then let it dry next to a campfire.....you're back in buisness. The wick is used to wrap exhaust header pipes on gas engines. Keeps the engine compartments cooler so they say:) Have faith in the stove and it's performance. Not satisfied with it send it back for a refund or exchange.

Dogwood
01-13-2010, 15:04
Yeah, Zelph, I've heard all this free refund and exchange guarantee business before, but does the Superstove come with any coupons for free pizza or trailrunners or a meatloaf recipe at least? How about a free bottle of Heet or DNL?

Dogwood
01-13-2010, 15:07
How about including a free mini Bic lighter or Starbucks coupon?

zelph
01-13-2010, 15:34

For starters I'm offering FREE shipping:D that's pretty good.:)

This stove is the best alcohol stove ever to come across the trails. Suits most hikers needs.;)

I talk the talk and walk the walk!!!!!

zelph
01-19-2010, 18:16
"Cadyak" had an oportunity to give the Super Stove a good workout this past weekend up in the Smokies.

See his the complete account "in the field testing" (http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3938)

here is part of it:

I apologize for the long post.
Ive been brewing my tea mostly on the super stove recently, but got a real chance to test it and my Fire Mug in the Smokies this past week. My hiking buddy and I got in to the shelter well after dark and were hungry and ready for a cup of something hot.
the super stove:
Minutes after we got there three more guys show up. So all of us prepared to cook our supper. It was interesting to watch 5 people pulling out different variations of very new looking camping stoves, canisters, fuel bottles, fuel lines and begin to put them together, pump them up, etc.
I reached in my pack, whipped out my pot with my super stove and cook kit inside. The guy wearing the newest most expensive NF foul weather gear I have ever seen (yes I lusted over it) commented "thats one of those little alcohol stoves isnt it? I said yes. I had already fueled it and sparked it up when someone else said "thats all you have to do? just squirt the fuel in and light it up?"
I said yes. The original guy now says "those things are very inefficient. but for some reason all the through-hikers carry them." Now he is telling me a story for a minute or two about some wierd friend of his who made his own alcohol stove and how funny it is that the guy is proud of his own pepsi can stove. He almost has his stove pumped up, my water is starting to steam a little.
After telling me all of the benefits of his stove he puts a match to it and almost torches his whole face off twice in about 10 seconds. "this is just the priming process" It works a lot better once it gets going.
"oh" I said. "This doesnt really need priming at all." I look down and my water is boiling. (500 ml of near freezing water, not sure about the fuel amount , 1oz approx., maybe 9 minutes to rolling boil. still burned for a minute or two afterwards.) I hadnt tested in such cold conditions so I put a little more fuel in it than necessary.
The two younger guys in the group were very impressed and were directed to this site to learn more and purchase one for themselves.
p.s. I brewed with this stove all weekend including making tea just under an exposed ridge at night in sleet, rain snow mix, 30 to 40 mph winds. also in a torrential wind driven downpour on the way down the mountain on the last day. heating stuff 3 to 4 times a day with the super stove and the fire mug I used 7 oz of alcohol over 4 days.
Thanks again for stove Zelph.
more later

Big Dawg
01-19-2010, 22:54
Also, do you have any more of the Mtn Dew Super Stoves w/ the green eyes?...

just received my "green eyes" today,,,, VERY NICE!!! :D Thanks Zelph!! This purchase was for a friend, but I don't want to let go of this one. Any more green eyes left?

Rick500
01-19-2010, 23:06
Just ordered mine. Looking forward to firing it up. Now to go find a Heineken can...

zelph
01-20-2010, 14:10
just received my "green eyes" today,,,, VERY NICE!!! :D Thanks Zelph!! This purchase was for a friend, but I don't want to let go of this one. Any more green eyes left?

No more green eyes:(

Only 6 MountainLyte/Dewlyte stoves left on ebay. I'll then go to listing the Budlyte "Super Stoves" until I find a source for more dew bottles.

Thanks everyone for your interest in the Super Stoves.

Big Dawg
01-20-2010, 18:32
No more green eyes:(

Only 6 MountainLyte/Dewlyte stoves left on ebay. I'll then go to listing the Budlyte "Super Stoves" until I find a source for more dew bottles.

Thanks everyone for your interest in the Super Stoves.

dang it.:( oh well, glad I got the one I did.

Thank You Zelph, for your alky inspiration!! :sun

Connie
01-25-2010, 18:52
How about other different cans?

Rick500
01-25-2010, 22:03
Wow, I've given my Bud (er, Mountain Dew) Lyte stove a couple of test runs, and I'm very, very impressed. I'm sure it'll serve me well.

Connie
01-26-2010, 00:10
I am delighted with mine. I got one of each: alcohol version and white gas version.

That white gas version is a powerhouse.

lucky luke
02-01-2010, 10:01

next you´re gonna ask zelph to throw in a minibull stove for free...:banana

greets
lucky luke

JustaTouron
02-01-2010, 14:37
Couple of questions.....

1. If you trim the stove down to use it with white gas, will it still work with alcohol? Or is it done as an alcy stove? What if you used a pot holder to raise it from the flame?

2. The measurements mention ounces of fuel. Is that a measure of weight or volume e.g. liquid oz or weight oz?

For those of you who don't understand the question a liquid oz is the volume that 1 oz (1/16 of a lb) of water would take up. A liquid oz = 1/8 of a cup. However alcohol has a density of about .8 so a liquid oz of alcohol weights .8 of an ounce. A half liter of alcohol has volume of 17.6 liquid oz of alcohol, but weighs 14.1 Oz.

3. In conventional multifuel stoves can you mix the fuels? E.g. you start the trip with a bottle of white gas. You are running low on fuel so you stop at a gas station they don't sell white gas so you top off the fuel bottle with unleaded and have a mix of white gas and unleaded, then a while later stop somewhere that doesn't have white gas or unleaded but sell alcohol so now the fuel bottle has a mixture of three fuels. Will that work in a stove like MSR international or do you need to dump any old fuel before getting new fuel.

Thanks.... more curious than anything else. Not actually stove shopping at the moment.

zelph
02-01-2010, 15:54
If you trim the stove down then you need to use a separate potstand to raise it to the original height(flame source to pot bottom)

Ounce of fuel is by liquid volume.

In the cut down version you can mix the fuels as you described.

I recently sold several stoves to someone that is a registered "Search and Rescue" agent. He uses the MSR international and now has incorporated the "Super Stove" as a goto stove for small quantities of water for his quick fix hot drinks. He was recently staging to deploy to Haiti, don't know if he did or not. He thourouhly tested the stove and found it worthy as a SAR piece of gear. He will be recommending it to his SAR associates. I'll check back with him and see if he's a member of WB and ask him if he would like to share his findings.

zelph
02-03-2010, 23:40
I was able to make a die to fit the "Venom" energy drink bottles and turn them into stoves. Initial test was great. I'll create a new thread for them tomorrow. I need to give the stove a different name. It's larger in diameter as can be seen in the photos.

We need to think of a name for this new size and graphics. I think it should have Mangold incorporated into it if he agrees.

I need to do testing for the next 2 days to get a feel how this one will work out. Initial 1 test today says 1/2 ounce denatured alcohol will boil 2 cups of 60 degree water in my 30 degree garage in 8.5 min. Looks favorable. I used a Kmart grease pot. I'll try to squeeze in a few indoor tests tomorrow while my wife is at work.:D

I'll start a new thread on the new size stove.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/apple%20river%20canyon/th_BrokenArrowVortex021.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/apple%20river%20canyon/?action=view&current=BrokenArrowVortex021.jpg)http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/apple%20river%20canyon/th_BrokenArrowVortex020.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/apple%20river%20canyon/?action=view&current=BrokenArrowVortex020.jpg)http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/apple%20river%20canyon/th_BrokenArrowVortex019.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/apple%20river%20canyon/?action=view&current=BrokenArrowVortex019.jpg)

brooklynkayak
02-04-2010, 21:14
Although I had considered the fact that white gas does produce more energy per ounce, alcohol seems to be more common in remote locations. I can get alcohol at any hardware store, convenience store, drug store,.... White gas can only be found at outfitters. So I will stick with the alcohol type so I don't have to worry about where I'll find fuel on the trail.

unclemjm
02-05-2010, 01:15

I've been enjoying watching the evolution of your stoves for some time now and have especially been impressed with what I have seen following this thread.

I recently saw one of the super stoves in action, (Captn brought his to a show and tell at a recent Texas Hammock Hang), and I can't wait any longer to get one.

It takes one bottle to make a stove If you send me 12 bottles I make one stove for you and ship free.

If that offer made to another poster stands, I'll be glad to empty some bottles and send them your way, and if not that's fine, I'll PM you soon with an order.

zelph
02-05-2010, 16:38
Thank you unclemjm for your comments. The offer still stands, send me a dozen of beer, mtn dew, or Venom bottles and I'll make you a stove and ship free.

Alcohol should always be our first choice of fuel and always keep in mind the alternate fuels in case of an emergency situation. Keep a Super Stove in your 72 hour emergency grab-n-run kit.

ssr41
02-07-2010, 14:56
Well i was just wondering why this stove is better than all the other stoves you make?
And which pot will work best with it?(Heineken pot, grease pot, snow peak mug)

brooklynkayak
02-07-2010, 23:32
Well i was just wondering why this stove is better than all the other stoves you make?

My experience shows that it is more efficient with pots approx. 5" or wider. Other pots will work. But this stove works better in strong winds, higher altitudes and with other fuels better than others.

zelph
02-07-2010, 23:42

It's only one piece construction compared to multiple pieces of the Fancee Feest and Cobalt Blue Soloist.

I've only tested the stove with the Grease pot and the Heineken. I venture to say it's best with the Heineken. The grease pot has more metal to heat up and maintain. Grease pot is close behind the Heiny though, don't cut it short. It's a good pot. My best test results are from using my 5" diameter, 2.5 cup capacity aluminum pot.(my favorite)

The hole through the center of the stove makes it better somehow, but I don't know what it is:-?;)

The first stove was a 1/2 ounce fuel capacity that was deemed the most efficient made to date for backpacking.

Another feature that this stove has that my others don't have is it's ability to burn multiple fuels in a more safe manner.

nitewalker
02-08-2010, 07:30
zelph

im heading to the daytona 500 this weekend and i belive they have the aluminum bud 500 bottles this year to comemorate the race. if they have them i will be collecting as many as i can. i will be sending them to you if the 1 dozen deal applies. i will let you know how i make out the monday after the race. i already bought 6 of your budlyte superstoves[dew stove] and everyone i gave them to loves it. i kept two for myself and use them evertime im on the ice fishing. peace out, nitewalker

zelph
02-08-2010, 12:44
zelph

im heading to the daytona 500 this weekend and i belive they have the aluminum bud 500 bottles this year to comemorate the race. if they have them i will be collecting as many as i can. i will be sending them to you if the 1 dozen deal applies. i will let you know how i make out the monday after the race. i already bought 6 of your budlyte superstoves[dew stove] and everyone i gave them to loves it. i kept two for myself and use them evertime im on the ice fishing. peace out, nitewalker

It applies:) get an extra dozen as you go by the waste baskets:D

zelph
02-10-2010, 13:56
I found this video yesterday: click on the more info
http://i2.ytimg.com/vi/EMSMeS7ZM8s/default.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/user/ProfessorHammock)

(more info (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdb860OQkh0&feature=player_embedded#))
(less info (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdb860OQkh0&feature=player_embedded#))

URL
Embed

JustaTouron
02-10-2010, 14:09
Zelph,

Question about the cans....

I have noticed a bit of discussion about particular flavor of Mt. Dew cans, commemorative bud cans, Venom energy drink cans etc.....

Is there any engineering differences (shape, type of metal, etc) between using the different cans or is it just a matter of aesthetics and not wanting to carry a walmart brand soda can as your stove?

zelph
02-10-2010, 16:08
Zelph,

Question about the cans....

I have noticed a bit of discussion about particular flavor of Mt. Dew cans, commemorative bud cans, Venom energy drink cans etc.....

Is there any engineering differences (shape, type of metal, etc) between using the different cans or is it just a matter of aesthetics and not wanting to carry a walmart brand soda can as your stove?

If walmart had an aluminum bottle of the size that I've been using I'd incorporate it into a stove and use it. I would think the price would be lower also:-? We buy silnylon from walmart, why not aluminum bottles.

It's the thickness of bottle material that attracts me. Thickness equates to durability.

zelph
03-04-2010, 12:33
Hi all, so far no indications when the new series of Mountain Dew Green Label Art bottles will be coming to the stores.

I'm due to get in a large quantity of Venom energy drink bottles in tomorrow. I will start processing them into stoves on Monday. They are 1/4" larger in diameter which means better support for your pot. Same efficiency as the smaller 2" bottles. The bottles coming in are the "Black Mamba" design which is Black and Red graphics. Nice looking stove

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/VENOM%20POWER/th_BrokenArrowVortex066.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/VENOM%20POWER/?action=view&current=BrokenArrowVortex066.jpg)

zelph
03-07-2010, 13:48
Recently DaddyMnM over at bplite had the idea to reverse the direction of the bottle compression, instead of inward to curl it outward. Worked out nice, take a look:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/sub%20two/th_BrokenArrowVortex067.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/sub%20two/?action=view&current=BrokenArrowVortex067.jpg)

Big Dawg
03-07-2010, 16:36
interesting,,,, seemed to turn out nice. does it affect the efficiency?

Loneoak
03-08-2010, 12:46
Zelph, recieved my new Mamba in the mail today (very fast mail service). Thanks for getting it right out :)
I included a picture of it with my Heineken Coffee Pot in my Gallery.

thanks again for the fast service, I will let you know how it works.

zelph
04-06-2010, 19:20
Hi all, so far no indications when the new series of Mountain Dew Green Label Art bottles will be coming to the stores.

I'm due to get in a large quantity of Venom energy drink bottles in tomorrow. I will start processing them into stoves on Monday. They are 1/4" larger in diameter which means better support for your pot. Same efficiency as the smaller 2" bottles. The bottles coming in are the "Black Mamba" design which is Black and Red graphics. Nice looking stove

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/VENOM%20POWER/th_BrokenArrowVortex066.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/VENOM%20POWER/?action=view&current=BrokenArrowVortex066.jpg)

I now have the venom bottles turned into Super Stoves and are now known as "Mangold Mamba" Super Stoves and they are available on ebay. They are listed 3 different ways for now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250610852321&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250610861717&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250610878688&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Because of copyright laws I'm not able to show the graphics on my ebay listings.....just in case you may be curious about the photos there.

zelph
05-19-2010, 21:36
Over on the HammockForums they were talking about the BushBuddy wanting a companion alcohol stove. I'll paste my comment from there to here just for everyone's general information.

All this talk about companion alcohol stove for the BushBuddy inspired some testing. I'm a sucker for flame tests I used a Venom Super Stove for two tests and I was pleased with the initial results. Just fill the stove, place inside the BB, light and put the pot on. Watch the video, look for the dual flame pattern generated by the central opening in the design of the SS.(sooooo purdy) Many of you have Super Stoves, now order a BB. The StarLyte stove was tested with BB also and it works great as a companion stove. The StarLyte is sold through Backpackinglight.com and zelph stoves.

Note: both the Super Stove and the StarLyte do not require a separate pot support. vhWFASHoutw

zelph
05-19-2010, 21:39
Here's the link to youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhWFASHoutw

maddi
05-20-2010, 07:43
Got to try out my new Venom stove this past weekend,and it was amazing. It is so efficient, I kept having to reduce the amount of fuel I needed each time I lit it up. Thanks.

zelph
05-20-2010, 11:23
Got to try out my new Venom stove this past weekend,and it was amazing. It is so efficient, I kept having to reduce the amount of fuel I needed each time I lit it up. Thanks.

Thanks maddi for the positive feedback:)

The is the follow up video to report that I achieved a boil in 4 min using 1 ounce of denatured alcohol. The first part shows how it's placed inside the BB stove. I did not get a boil with 3/4 ounce of fuel. Second part of the vid I used 1 ounce and got the boil and burned for an additional 1 min. Total burn time 5 min. It's crankin out the btu's:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agiX_ZhpH9M

jazilla
04-28-2011, 14:22
Check out the energy drink can I found. Gonna try a stove with this one.