PDA

View Full Version : Planning Days Off

bailyrosco
07-22-2004, 12:04
I have been wondering about days off on a thru- hike. Do most of you pre plan you zero mile days If you plan them are they based on history of your anticipated resting points or restocking points. Do you plan them based on on points of interest? Lastly are the total zero days just figured in as a whole and take them as needed? Not lastly I guess, are zero days needed or worth it? explain.

A-Train
07-22-2004, 12:15
I think your better off NOT planning Zeros, and just waiting until you either want or need one. Sometimes you'll take one if the weather is crummy, or you're waiting for the PO to open up or you're resting a sore foot for a day or two. There isn't really a place on the Trail you NEED to stop because it is so amazing it must be enjoyed for a full 24 hrs. Many thru-hikers take zero's typically in Hot Springs, Erwin and Damascus. Kincorra Hostel is another popular one. Seems Pearisburg is quite popular too. After that seems most thrus take less full days off as the "towns" get smaller and less friendly. The Cabin in Andover Maine would be a great spot. Many seem to take one in Monson Maine at the start of the 100 mile wilderness. I found this to be rather silly so close to the end, but I guess when you need the rest, you need the rest.

Couple ideas from places I took zero:
Fontana Dam is an AWFUL place for a zero day unless you stay at the Hike Inn where you can be shuttled to a large town.

Erwin is a great place for a zero, but you may never be able to leave! Only place I spent 3 nights at on the trail.

Waynsboro, VA- Very big spread out place. Took time to get eveyrthing done. Not a bad place for one.

Manchester VT. With 2 outfitters and much shopping and food there was plenty to do.

I could see Hanover NH or Duncannon PA being a good spot for a zero, with everything within walking distance, offering time to rest.

One last piece of advice. One of the best spots for a zero is ON the trail. Spend a day at a pretty campsite or shelter or wait a rainy day out and don't go anywhere. This way you rest without burning your wallet and It'll be way more relaxing than doing town chores!

Footslogger
07-22-2004, 12:34
Couldn't agree more with A-Train. Take em as they come and every once in a while when you find yourself in a drop-dead gorgeous spot on the trail just set up camp and hang out for the day. The rest will more than refresh your mind and body and you'll make up for the time/mileage lost in the meantime.

Just my .02

'Slogger

SGT Rock
07-22-2004, 12:44
I'd say don't plan your Zeros, but allow for them. What I mean is allow yourself a few fudge factor days in your planning for any trip longer than a weekend so if you need to zero, you can. I say that, but I am bad at not doing it.

Lobo
07-22-2004, 12:53
I spent three zeros on the Trail and three at my home in PA. My first Trail zero was in Damascus at The Place after a 26 mile day, the second was in Gorham at Hiker's Paradise after being physically beaten up by the White Mountains, and the third was in Monson at Shaw's to prepare for the 100 mile wilderness and the mental disappointment that was to occur in only 115 miles - the end of the hike. Also realize that there will be days when you may only hike 5-8 miles to get to town for an overnight stay. For a thru-hiker this short mileage can be accomplished without even taking a break! Your body and your mind will tell you when you need a zero.

A-Train
07-22-2004, 13:14
As Lobo touched on, its often possible to do short days into or out of town. If done right you can be in a town or resting for a full 24 hr stretch without taking a whole hiking day off. I found this the best way to go as you are in town for one night and not two, saving money. When in prime shape I was able to do 11 miles quite easily in Duncannon, leaving the next day late in the afternoon able to do 11 miles out of town. I was in town for more than 24 hrs and felt incredibly rested. This to me was better than taking a whole day off.

bailyrosco
07-22-2004, 13:19
Great advice thanks to everyone. If you are on a schedule (loose schedule) should you allot for 5,10 or more days as zero days. I know it is hard to say becuse you never know the weather or your body cooperating. I am just trying to get an idea of what time frame I will realistically need to complete a hike with out blowing through it or risking injury.

TREE-HUGGER
07-22-2004, 13:35
I remember my rythmn seemed to be something close to a day off about every ten days. Sometimes a little sooner or later. But I definitely believe in them and take them whenever the situation calls for them. And I didn't plan the ten day thing before my thru hike, thats just what I noticed was happening after a couple months.

tlbj6142
07-22-2004, 13:48
I am just trying to get an idea of what time frame I will realistically need to complete a hike with out blowing through it or risking injury.Most folks seem to figure 6-days of hiking per week for esitmation purposes.

So, 15mpd*6-day weeks* X weeks = 2200 or about 24 weeks (the usual 6 month estimation). That's 24 zero days. Almost a month. I would assume "the average" (exists?) is less than 24. With most of the zeroes taken in the first 6-8 weeks. And as mentioned above, you may find neros, or overnight town stops, just as refrehing as a full zero. Resulting in even fewer "true" zero days.

gravityman
07-22-2004, 15:13
Most folks seem to figure 6-days of hiking per week for esitmation purposes.

So, 15mpd*6-day weeks* X weeks = 2200 or about 24 weeks (the usual 6 month estimation). That's 24 zero days. Almost a month. I would assume "the average" (exists?) is less than 24. With most of the zeroes taken in the first 6-8 weeks. And as mentioned above, you may find neros, or overnight town stops, just as refrehing as a full zero. Resulting in even fewer "true" zero days.

I actually would guess the "average" is pretty close to 24 zero days.

Zero days are VERY important. It gives your body a chance to catch up with healing, and making you stronger. LD runners usually take at least 1 day off a week. It also gives you a chance to catch up with calories.
Gravity Man

bailyrosco
07-22-2004, 15:27
Gravityman what do you mean "It also gives you a chance to catch up with calories"? If you take a down day to rest your body wouldn't that normally cause it to stiffen and be sore? Again, thanks to all for the advice

Youngblood
07-22-2004, 15:31
I liked my zero days. Usually I took one every 4 or 5 days. On the occasions when I skipped one, I could tell that I felt a little more tired. Mine where in towns and that also meant spending more dollars.

Youngblood

A-Train
07-22-2004, 15:39
I think what gravityman meant was that sitting in town during a zero, you burn hardly any calories, but can eat thousands worth in greasy food, where as when you are backpacking you generally burn more calories hiking than you can substitute thru the amount of food you carry. Esentially thats why thru hikers lose so much weight.

tlbj6142
07-22-2004, 15:44
I actually would guess the "average" is pretty close to 24 zero days.Interesting. Just from following my brother and his girlfriend's trip, he seems to be taking very few true zero days. He is not part of the party crowd, but he has been hiking very conservatively (IMO). Plenty of side trips, mid-day naps, long rests at good views, etc. But, then, he has had probably the best weather I have ever heard of on the trail.

While he has been off trail 3-4 times (weddings, etc.), when he has been ontrail for several weeks in a row I only see 1 or 2 zeros. He has taken quite a few in-town overnite days (10 miles in, do chores, sleep in town at hostel/hotel, 10 miles out).

Jersey Joe (member here) had 0 zero days, and only 4-5 days with less than 10 miles. And from reading his journal he rarely pushed himself.

Obviously each hiker has different needs.

peter2003
07-23-2004, 15:55
My preference is to take short days and or near zero days in town. I do have comments on the following towns:

Hot Springs - if you don't drink there is not much to do in this town - I would take a near zero here.

Fontana Dam - I took a zero in 03 at the Hike Inn - if I did the trail again i would not consider a zero here - the Hike Inn is fine for one day but gets very boaring for a second day.

Damascus - great town for a zero day.

Pearisburg - I loved this town and the Motel in the center of town was very cheap - there are restaurants and grocery stores near by.

Waynsboro - another favorite trail town - there is a great library in town and all the services you will ever want.

Duncannon, PA - since I liked the Doyle Hotel this is another town for a zero day in you need one.

Vermont - if I needed a zero day in Vermont I would hitch or take the bus from Killington (Route 4) to Rutland, a large town will all the services you need mixed in with a few inexpensive motels. I live in VT so know the area very well.

Gorham - great trail down will all the services you will need with inexpensive lodging. I liked the Motel hostel in town over the Barn.

Andover - I would recommend slack packing a couple of days here and staying in town at night - no need for a zero day. Nice library if you stay in town like I did.

Monson - not much to do in town but 2 great places to stay so would consider a zero day here.

Comment about Maine - All the Maine trail towns are great and have cheap lodging - if I did the trail again I would stay in all the towns - it is generally an easy hitch in and out of town.