PDA

View Full Version : Just Curious

Tuckahoe
08-21-2009, 18:11
so I am a bit curious about mail drops. I get mailing a package to a hostels or inn and sending it to such places "in care of." But when sending a mail drop to a Post Office, how is it addressed and how does the Post Office handle it?

Egads
08-21-2009, 18:17
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=95199&postcount=1

Jester2000
08-21-2009, 18:21
They handle it like they handle all packages -- violently.

The Post Office has a General Delivery system set up so that you can mail packages to yourself. It works at all Post Offices, but it works well in places like trail towns, which are used to getting General Delivery mail and usually have a place set aside for them.

Send mail to

"Your name
c/o General Delivery
Town, State, Zip

Please hold for AT thru-hiker
ETA: date you think you might be there by"

It's a good idea to write your last name or something else (Trail Name, whatever) on the sides in Sharpie so your mail can be picked out of a pile easily. Jack used to tape playing cards to the sides of his.

Everyone else -- did I forget anything else?

Jester2000
08-21-2009, 18:22
Oh, yeah. Send priority so you can forward the packages without extra charge as long as you don't open them. It happens that you need to do this occasionally.

Tuckahoe
08-21-2009, 18:56
Jester thanks for the answer. Thought it might be something like that, but just wasnt sure and so I had to ask.

Jester2000
08-21-2009, 18:59
That link above that egads posted is really helpful. You should definitely read it.

Spokes
08-26-2009, 10:34
Be sure to write your (real) last name in BIG letters on all sides of the package. I learned to also ask them to double check to see if you received any general delivery first class letters. Letters are normally kept in a separate location from the packages and often overlooked.

-Spokes

freefall
08-26-2009, 10:44
Oh, yeah. Send priority so you can forward the packages without extra charge as long as you don't open them. It happens that you need to do this occasionally.

What he said.

Blissful
08-27-2009, 19:24
Agreed, send priority only with confirmation. We had two boxes ripped off sending it surface.

Jack Tarlin
08-27-2009, 19:30
Tuckahoe:

Jester pretty much covered it, but if you're still curious, check out the "Articles" section of this website where you'll find all sorts of info on where and how to send and receive mail while on the A.T.; good places to sent it; alternate re-supply ideas, etc.

Tuckahoe
08-27-2009, 19:50
Thanks guys. Not planning a thru hike just yet. I was just curious how a package was addressed for a mail drop to a post office, where one does not reside.

Whiskey Ninja
08-27-2009, 20:12
There are enough towns between GA and VA that you can easily work it w/ out a mail drop. Unless you have special dietary needs, I would hit the dollar store and grocery stores every 3-7 days to resupply, much easier. Plus you are not on a schedule then. No worries about Sundays or getting there w/ in business hrs. if you don't use the Post Office.

Moe
08-31-2009, 11:49
I agree with Whiskey Ninja. I passed a thru-hiker in maine who had done the whole thing w/o mail drops. On my short trip I hit a few Post offices on sundays/after hours. It's a real pain. Careful planning can avoid it, but I'd just assume not use them.