PDA

View Full Version : The Wanderlust Experience

TREE-HUGGER
07-22-2004, 13:20
I just wanted to put this out there in case any one is in the same predicament with Kurt Russel and Wanderlust tents. I ordered a 2 man tent in 2002 and recieved it 6 mos later. I have ordered a one man in 2003 and it has been 8 mos and I havent recieved it. In a 2002 I could reach him by phone if I called day and night for a couple weeks. Havent reached him at all in 2003 and 2004. At the 7 mos mark I wrote him and asked for my 100.00 deposit back. It has been a month and havent seen it.
On another note, I give six to eight 2 1/2 hour light weight backpacking seminars a year in the area where I live. I have all my gear set up and Kurts tent was there each and every time. I have literally showed his tent to about 1500 people. And the bad part is I have told Kurt all this the few times I have spoken to him.

In fact one time I reached him because I did whitepage.com and called everyone on his street until I got the people across the street from his house and asked them to walk across the street.

Kurts tent is no longer on my recomended list because I have had way too many people call me that ordered after they saw my seminar, even when I told them how long the wait was, and they have never recieved a tent. I have made alot of people mad.

And it has come to the point that if I ever did recieve a tent I would mail it back and ask for my deposit again.

If anyone has any new ideas or news please pass them along:confused:

gravityman
07-22-2004, 15:16
I just wanted to put this out there in case any one is in the same predicament with Kurt Russel and Wanderlust tents. I ordered a 2 man tent in 2002 and recieved it 6 mos later. I have ordered a one man in 2003 and it has been 8 mos and I havent recieved it. In a 2002 I could reach him by phone if I called day and night for a couple weeks. Havent reached him at all in 2003 and 2004. At the 7 mos mark I wrote him and asked for my 100.00 deposit back. It has been a month and havent seen it.
On another note, I give six to eight 2 1/2 hour light weight backpacking seminars a year in the area where I live. I have all my gear set up and Kurts tent was there each and every time. I have literally showed his tent to about 1500 people. And the bad part is I have told Kurt all this the few times I have spoken to him.

In fact one time I reached him because I did whitepage.com and called everyone on his street until I got the people across the street from his house and asked them to walk across the street.

Kurts tent is no longer on my recomended list because I have had way too many people call me that ordered after they saw my seminar, even when I told them how long the wait was, and they have never recieved a tent. I have made alot of people mad.

And it has come to the point that if I ever did recieve a tent I would mail it back and ask for my deposit again.

If anyone has any new ideas or news please pass them along:confused:

Total stinker. I agree, I stopped recommending his tent too because of the time. Tarptents are great and get sent out timely.

You are close enough to drive to his house, aren't you? You could get a band together and go for a nice drive :)

Gravity Man

Mags
07-22-2004, 15:53
You are close enough to drive to his house, aren't you? You could get a band together and go for a nice drive :)

Gravity Man
I had this vision of swarthy looking men in Goretex shells and hiking boots (and gold chains) approaching the maker of the Nomad tents and saying "We are gonna go for a ride. Capish?" :)

Mags (who is currently reading about organized crime in his home state of RI..guess it is on my mind! :))

Moose2001
07-22-2004, 18:18
One of my friends had a tent on order from Kurt for almost a year. After repeated phone calls, emails, and letters to Kurt, she could neither get the tent or her deposit back. She finally filed a complaint with the South Carolina Better Business Bureau. She got a letter from Kurt in less than 2 weeks with a check for her deposit.

To bad it has to come to that.

hiho1624
07-22-2004, 19:08
I have a Wanderlust from Kurt,He slow but he tell you this on his web site,He backpacks in the summer:-?

HikerHobo
06-21-2005, 14:27
I was going to order a Wanderlust tent.
However, after reading this forum, I now
am a little bit worried about sending this
guy any money. I realize that these posts
are over a year old. Has Kurt got his act
together these days or is it the same old
runaround? Some current feedback, please.

Footslogger
06-21-2005, 14:42
I bought a Wanderlust Nomad Lite for my thru in 2003. Took about 5 - 6 months to get it. The tent literally arrived the day before I left Springer. I was already in Georgia and my wife had to x-press mail it to me. It was an OK shelter but I have since sold it. When I got home from Katahdin I contacted Kurt at Wanderlust with some suggestions, and a request for a slight modification in the design (phone and e-mail). He never responded.

That said ...if you are in the market for a great solo tent check out the Lunar Solo-e from Six Moon Designs.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=36

Not only is this tent far superior in design, lighter weight and less expensive than the Nomad Lite, but the owner of the company (Ron Moak) is great to work with. Customer service is tops. Tell Ron that Footslogger sent you. It won't get me (or you) anything but it's always a pleasure to get a positive referral.

Having owned both the Nomad Lite and the Lunar Solo-e I can honestly say that the Six Moon Design tent is a far better investment.

'Slogger
AT 2003

cutman11
06-27-2005, 23:43
I got the 2-4-2 and am satisfied with the tent, BUT: I didnt get it from Kurt!...I bought mine from someone who had one and wanted to sell it. If you want the tent but dont want the wait, look around on some of the internet hiker sites (lightweight/gear sections), you could find one for sale as I did, and get the tent without the hassle of the wait.