PDA

View Full Version : Keepin stuff dry

Scary Berry
08-22-2009, 16:21
Just wondering how everyone keeps cell phone, camera, etc. from getting water damage.

Reid
08-22-2009, 16:24
ziplock bag

Hikes in Rain
08-22-2009, 16:32
Second that. Handiest hiking gadget ever invented.

modiyooch
08-22-2009, 16:36
everything that I carry is in various sizes of ziplock bags. My pack is lined with a trash bag, and I carry a trash bag to slip over my external pack at night.

I found and returned a camera in the Whites that had fallen on the trail. It was in a ziplock bag, and survived a heavy rain.

point of interest, the exterior of my cell phone melted on the trail last week in nh/vt/ma. It bubbled up. It did not get wet. Verizon replaced it.

Summit
08-22-2009, 19:35
ziplocs are great and if you want another layer of waterproofing protection + organizing, try Sea To Summit sylnylon stuff sacks:

http://www.rei.com/product/777723

Quite a few sizes and colors to choose from.

Jonnycat
08-22-2009, 19:37
Camera in a ziplock, me+pack under the poncho.

Tinker
08-22-2009, 19:52
Zip lock freezer bags. Double bag if weather is really bad. Carry extra bags. There are a bunch of very waterproof camera bags and plastic cases available, too. They probably weigh more than a dozen ziplock backs.
Bringing extra ziplocks is a very good idea. I've had the zippers fail (mostly from getting things like sugar, coffee, and coffee creamer caught in the zipper). Now I reuse small plastic juice bottles for such things.

Wise Old Owl
08-22-2009, 20:00
ziplock bag

Second that. Handiest hiking gadget ever invented.

everything that I carry is in various sizes of ziplock bags. My pack is lined with a trash bag, and I carry a trash bag to slip over my external pack at night.

I found and returned a camera in the Whites that had fallen on the trail. It was in a ziplock bag, and survived a heavy rain.

point of interest, the exterior of my cell phone melted on the trail last week in nh/vt/ma. It bubbled up. It did not get wet. Verizon replaced it.

Camera in a ziplock, me+pack under the poncho.

Zip lock freezer bags. Double bag if weather is really bad. Carry extra bags. There are a bunch of very waterproof camera bags and plastic cases available, too. They probably weigh more than a dozen ziplock backs.
Bringing extra ziplocks is a very good idea. I've had the zippers fail (mostly from getting things like sugar, coffee, and coffee creamer caught in the zipper). Now I reuse small plastic juice bottles for such things.

From experience (Wrong Answer)

Right Answer=
http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/138001/200.jpgFind one that fits both your camera & phone and spare batteries.

BETTER THAN PELICAN!

Don't belive it? test in a sink fill with water and put tissues in both and dunk. Ziplock sucks.

Think about that when it comes to TP. I Rarly call someone "out" but after loosing so much electronic gear over the years to shoddy bags, and "water proof containers" I would not want miss information going out to readers that can get ahead from my experiences. I apolgise to anyone I might have upset who has already posted.

Tinker
08-22-2009, 20:15
The thin skinned get offended. Those who are otherwise get educated.
Thanks, WOO.

modiyooch
08-22-2009, 20:37
From experience (Wrong Answer)

Right Answer=
http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/138001/200.jpgFind one that fits both your camera & phone and spare batteries.

BETTER THAN PELICAN!

. Too heavy. Also, I've been hiking a very long time and haven't had a problem yet.

Reid
08-22-2009, 20:46
Well if we want to get real technical about it Speedo makes a good pouch type plastic pocket that is above all. It's not quite large enough to fit a phone and a camera but they barley show up on the scales so carrying two or even three wouldn't be a big deal.

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/9/1/3/5/0/8/webimg/258409641_tp.jpg

Picture makes it appear small but I can fit my camera in one.

Jonnycat
08-22-2009, 20:49
...haven't had a problem yet.

Neither have I. I also use the ziplock freezer bags for FBC, which means they have boiling water placed in them, then they are sealed, then I shake them up and let them sit sideways until they are cool enough to eat.

After hundreds of iterations of this (albeit with a new bag each time), I have yet to have any leakage.*

Perhaps the leakage people experience is due to older bags, which have been compromised due to use. In any case, since the camera isn't actually immersed in water, I still consider them to provide a functional barrier against wetness making it to the camera. There is also the poncho covering the camera case, which covers the ziplock bag.

*I probably will now, since I just jinxed myself. :D

Rocket Jones
08-22-2009, 20:53
Too heavy. Also, I've been hiking a very long time and haven't had a problem yet.

Too heavy? Those containers weigh practically nothing. More than a ziplock, certainly, but not much more.

Wise Old Owl
08-22-2009, 20:55
Too heavy. Also, I've been hiking a very long time and haven't had a problem yet.

What??? one tub is less than an ounce - I just checked...:eek:

And while we are discussing this, I have been there in a week of rain and this trick kept the humidity out because I tossed one of those silicate packets in there. zips might keep it somewhat dry but never as good as what I am talking about. Besides now that you don't have a canoe guy at the Kennebec - you might be portaging on your Big Agnes Air Mat!

modiyooch
08-22-2009, 21:14
....I tossed one of those silicate packets in there. ! another ounce added..... doubling weight already

what do you mean no kennebec guy?? I just crossed the Kennebec the first week of August in the official white blazed canoe.

Wise Old Owl
08-22-2009, 23:30
:Dhahahaha... refering to a earlier thread at the beginning of the year...

dloome
08-23-2009, 01:29
I use a variety of Watchful Eye Designs closure bags. You can get them at BPL, REI, etc. They're like ziploc's, but far more durable and were designed and tested for submersion.