PDA

View Full Version : Luxury lite cot

Reid
08-22-2009, 18:25
Just seeing if anyone has any comments. I am looking to buy one too if anyone has one they'd like to sell. I am big on getting a very comfortable nights rest in the wilderness and I can be hard to please. Thanks

Wise Old Owl
08-22-2009, 18:45
http://www.luxurylite.com/cover.htm

Anything that gives a older side sleeper some comfort will always sell well hense many of us are hammock campers. This looks like a winner after google reviews. IMO

http://gearjunkie.com/gear-review-luxury-lite-ultralite-cot

Reid
08-22-2009, 18:51
Yea I'm just not ready to shell out that much cabbage for a new one, they look awesome though it's really tempting.

Wise Old Owl
08-22-2009, 18:54
At 27 unless you are having some serious sleep problems - you would be better off with a UL pad.

Tinker
08-22-2009, 19:49
My Big Agnes Air Core Mummy regular (non-insulated) weighs 1#5 oz. If you sleep on the ground I don't see how you could much more comfortable. Of course it could leak (but you can patch it easily unless it's on a seam). If one of the poles or other pieces of hardware on the LL cot broke you'd pretty much be out of luck. A spare pole probably weighs (weights, for some of you folks) more than 10 patch kits.
Another aside: neither one is insulated. A closed cell pad would fix that for either one.

Wise Old Owl
08-22-2009, 20:33
I am with Tinker on this I love my insulated Big Agnes Mummy pad. I have had many a bad night in the woods, I just did not want to cause a thread swerve.

Jonnycat
08-23-2009, 00:19
I had a BA IAC, but the weight was so much heavier than the published specs that I sent it back.

Bought a MaxThermo (Pacific Outdoor) from REI, an insulated 2.5" air mattress, the weight was the same as the published specs, and it's lasted over 50 nights so far.

It looks like they changed the name to the "Ether Thermo 6" now (and raised the price), but it looks like the same unit (orange instead of red, though).

OutdoorsMan
08-23-2009, 09:51
I have both the Luxury Lite cot and the Big Agnes Insulated pad with a Big Agnes bag designed to accomodate the pad.

The LL cot is well made and a marvel of engineering in my opinion. It packs down to an acceptable size but it has the following drawbacks OMO;

1. It is too heavy
2. It is cold underneath (this is a positive when it's hot though)
3. Even with practice, it takes some time to put together, especiall in the dark.
4. It is noisy so if you toss/turn at night..

For these reasons, my LL cot stays at home and I take my BA sleep system that is oh so comfortable.

I use the LL cot when visiting a friend's hosue lacking a guest bed and it is always interesting to show people who have never seen it before. I also use it sometimes whe "car camping" with my son's Boy Scout Troop and when it is warm.

I do not recommend it for backpacking. I am 6'3" 245lbs and I find that the LL cot provides me acceptable comfort but not as good as my BA system.

Wise Old Owl
08-23-2009, 10:06
I have both the Luxury Lite cot and the Big Agnes Insulated pad with a Big Agnes bag designed to accomodate the pad.

The LL cot is well made and a marvel of engineering in my opinion. It packs down to an acceptable size but it has the following drawbacks OMO;

1. It is too heavy
2. It is cold underneath (this is a positive when it's hot though)
3. Even with practice, it takes some time to put together, especiall in the dark.
4. It is noisy so if you toss/turn at night..

For these reasons, my LL cot stays at home and I take my BA sleep system that is oh so comfortable.

I use the LL cot when visiting a friend's hosue lacking a guest bed and it is always interesting to show people who have never seen it before. I also use it sometimes whe "car camping" with my son's Boy Scout Troop and when it is warm.

I do not recommend it for backpacking. I am 6'3" 245lbs and I find that the LL cot provides me acceptable comfort but not as good as my BA system.

if you have the BA pad why would you want the cot? What is the advantage?