PDA

View Full Version : Stoves - what is recommended??

Not Sunshine
08-22-2009, 20:35
so many stoves to choose from...I'm a little lost.

i was originally planning on going with the MSR whisperlite ($80 without the fuel container) - or should I upgrade to the international version (i.e $90 and even works with unleaded gas)? Weight 11oz.

Or, if I'm really serious about going ultralight (this sounds like such an oxymoron to me), maybe looking into those little soda-can stoves...

I'm not a big fan of flames or explosives, and while I can handle a jet-engine whisperlite, i would be too nervous to make one myself - I found this "thru-hiker stove" online -

https://www.end2endtrailsupply.com/Thru_Hiker_Stove.html

Does anyone use this? Any experience? Suggestions on what fuel is the most accessible while on a thru-hike?

Tinker
08-22-2009, 20:51
Short answer:
Whisperlite - HOT, HEAVY, many moving parts - Winter hiking.
Cannister stove - hot, light, few moving parts,fuel is relatively expensive, sensitive to wind (because they are tall - but all stoves need windscreens).
Alcohol stoves - Not very hot, very light, best for one person (two above are fine for couples and groups), simple - no moving parts. Fuel can spill after lighting - require even more care not to knock them over. Require more fuel weight to achieve same tasks than above stoves, but stove weight alone offsets this for week-long trips.
That's just basics. There are a lot of threads on this subject.
I have a Whisperlite - the International version is good for people travelling abroad. I had an XGK and used kerosene with it -very smoky with lots of soot. Coleman fuel (and other "white gas" or naptha products) are easily obtained throughout the USA. Personally, I don't think I'd bother with the International version if I bought the stove today.
Oh, sorry - you're looking for a suggestion?
Buy a cannister stove first, then play with alcohol, and, if you're planning on extended group trips, buy that Whisperlite.
My favorite small cannister stove is the Jet-ti from Vargo sold at www.backpackinglight.com (http://www.backpackinglight.com). Most of these stoves are close in their performance. Those with pencil-point flame patterns boil quickly in small containers but tend to burn sticky food. The PocketRocket by MSR is such a stove and is relatively wind-resistant, better than my Vargo, but the Vargo is a bit shorter and has pot supports which can accomodate large pots better.

Rick Hancock
08-22-2009, 21:11
I've used several stoves over the years. Started out with a Hank Roberts Mini Stove, used a Svea on my 1980 thru-hike, used it for 27 years! A few years ago I went to the MSR Pocket Rocket, a great little stove very dependable in all conditions. On cold mornings you need to warm the cartridge. I'm fond of saying , "It's so dependable it will boil one more pot of water after it's empty!"
Recently, (past 3 years I've gone to the Whitebox Alcohol stove. A great little light weight stove that is pretty dependable. I would not hesitate to suggest buying either one.
Rick Hancock

Wise Old Owl
08-22-2009, 21:33
There is no right or wrong answer there are many stoves and some are better than others - The group here have a few like Vargo Titanium to avoid, and don't like heavy gear like MSR, but there are folk who will carry them just the same. Jet Boil is an average single hiker stove that does well, I don't have one, I carry a homemade alcohol and/or a pocket rocket. with a wind screen.

Google "Backpack stoves review"

sheepdog
08-22-2009, 21:37
Are you going to cook or just boil water?

Not Sunshine
08-22-2009, 22:14
Are you going to cook or just boil water?

I think more often, I would just be boiling water. How does that effect your advice?

Just a Hiker
08-22-2009, 22:38
It's your decision and your hike, but unless you really know now to properly maintain and clean a MSR Whisperlite.....don't get it as your first stove. I have seen many expensive, but broken Whisperlites in hiker boxes along the trail because the owner didn't know how to maintain it and it quit working properly. Personally, I use an alcohol stove in warmer weather because of weight considerations and there's no maintenance, but I use the MSR pocket rocket in colder weather because it's more efficient and faster on cold evenings. Good luck!

Just Jim

sheepdog
08-23-2009, 07:38
I think more often, I would just be boiling water. How does that effect your advice?
Some stoves boil water very well but are too hot to cook with, they burn the food. So you should decide what you are going to do with the stove to decide what kind of stove you need.

Wise Old Owl
08-23-2009, 10:40
Sheepdog's on top of this

Rice & pasta's require simmer, or a low heat - Breads & baking require a fraction of low heat.

Boiling water for freeze dried or Freezer bag cooking and a cozy is perfect for Jet Boil,

yaduck9
08-23-2009, 13:32
Stoves tend to be such a highly personal decision that it is tough to make a recommendation. I would suggest that you try to borrow a stove before purchase to test drive it. Otherwise start cheap and work your way up.

may want to check these two stoves out, they appear to be pretty popular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leYcI0DNU-0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyEkx7Ms-6w&feature=related

Good luck.

Ranc0r
08-23-2009, 13:47
There are a number of alky stoves you can make yourself, without having to buy a metal shop to do it in. Pepsi can, whitebox, cat food, etc. Practice makes perfect, and it can be addicting. Make a few and try them out - use a windscreen.

There are some very nice, lightweight, reliable canister stoves available. Know anyone who hikes? Go for a walk and ask them how they like their stove.

Are you planning a thru hike? If not, and you're thinking about weekend trips, your options open up a bit, since you can probably deal with a few more ounces, and resupply is home til the next trip.

What sort/size pot do you have? Planning on getting a new one soon? I think it's the combination of the system that makes or breaks it for me.

HYOH, cook yer own food.

Ranc0r

Jester2000
08-23-2009, 14:00
Yaduck and Sheepdog and some others on here have given some good advice. I've carried three types of stoves on thru-hikes (white gas, cannister, alcohol), and I've never had trouble finding fuel for any of them, so I can say with a certain amount of confidence that you don't need the Whisperlite International.

Of the three types of fuel, cannister fuel would be the one type that could potentially be a hard find, although I never had a problem. Hikers who can't find alcohol for their alcohol stoves often use HEET in the Yellow bottle, which can be found in most gas stations/convenience stores.

Commercially made alcohol stoves, such as the Etowah II, tend to be more efficient than home made beer can stoves, which reduces the amount of fuel one has to carry, but either way there's a significant weight savings. The penalty you pay for an alcohol stove is the inability to control or change the heat output, and some of them take longer to reach a boil.

White gas stoves are heavy and bulky, but more controllable, more efficient in the cold, and use fuel that is cheaper than cannisters.

Cannister stoves are light (mostly), easier and safer to use (mostly), but the fuel is (relatively) expensive and can, in certain circumstances, be harder to find.

If you're trying to go pretty light and envision cooking just once a day and pretty much just boiling water, alcohol might be best.

For a couple of hot meals a day, with coffee in the morning, and you're not that concerned about weight, maybe a white gas stove.

If you're not that concerned about the cost of fuel, and just want something simple you won't have to worry about too much, maybe cannister.

Good luck with your decision and your hike!

Del Q
08-23-2009, 19:59
I like simple. Mostly easy cooking and boiling for me on 2 week hikes, I like an alcohol stove but past 2 years titanium wing esbit stove, backpacking light, weighs literally like nothing, one Esbit tab per night, rarely two, light it, simple, easy, focus on other things.

Captain
08-23-2009, 22:40

not sure if it was already answered but it effects his answer because something in the way of the Whitebox alcohol stove is just good for boiling water. This is because it has no valve to regulate the flame.. it has one setting only..which is dam near flame thrower. so if you will only be boiling small bacthes of water to rehydrate food and boil noodles and the like itd be fine..however if you was to look into other cooking, making soups from fresh vegetables bought in town, cooking cuts of meat. would suggest more of a canister stove that you can control the flame output and this heat it puts out and actualy "simmer" with. for simplicity sake going to leave alone the pros and cons of the different fuel sources themselves but that shows what the difference makes in his suggestion

Mags
08-24-2009, 03:49
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/stove_comparison.html

OVERALL SUMMARY

There are many stoves to choose from. Which one is the best depends upon your intended use.

If you are resupplying for less than ten meals, solo and three-season backpacking: Alcohol Stove
If you are a couple and/or going long time between resupplies or need to do real cooking:
Canister Stove other than Jet Boil
If you are solo and want a convenient all in one solution and/or fast boil times: Jetboil or MSR Reactor
If you are winter camping/high altitude mountaineering OR doing 3+ person meals: White Gas Stove
Doing lots of "real cooking" in a forest environment and not hiking far: Zip Stove

Want the absolute lightest stove and price/resupply (and don't mind slower boil times) is not an issue: Esbit
Prefer to go the ultra-minimalist route and want very little to no futzing: No stove.

May help....

el.com
08-26-2009, 15:16
I was watching for a stove for my thru hike next year. I found the Coleman F1 Lite (http://www.coleman.eu/DE/p-23862-f1-lite.aspx). I'm going to hike alone and will need it for boiling water and cooking meals. What do you think, is it OK? Or maybe to heavy/big or something?

And another very important question: At the Coleman homepage it says this stove needs butane/propane cartridges C100, C250 or C500. Are these cartridges available in the USA or are these only european products? Important to know, because I don't want to buy it and then, when I'm entering the USA, notice that these cardtridges are not available over there :-?

Mags
08-26-2009, 15:49
I was watching for a stove for my thru hike next year. I found the Coleman F1 Lite (http://www.coleman.eu/DE/p-23862-f1-lite.aspx). I'm going to hike alone and will need it for boiling water and cooking meals. What do you think, is it OK? Or maybe to heavy/big or something?

:-?

FWIW, I use a slightly different canister stove of choice. The Coleman F1 Ultralite. (http://www.campmor.com/coleman-exponent-f1-ultralight-stove.shtml)Avail from Campmor. It may or may not be carried in Europe (not sure if the one you listed is the same or not) Almost as much heat output as a jetboil, weighs less than 3 oz, and works well in the wind. It has received great reviews from such sites as backpackinglite.com

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/coleman_outlander_f1_ultralight_canister_stove_rev iew.html

This stove is a little flame-thrower. Its phenomenal 16,400 BTU/hr output is 50% greater than most 3-ounce stoves. The power output on full throttle is spectacular. The stove boiled water faster than any of the others tested. It was the only stove besides the Jetboil to bring water to a boil in windy conditions without a windscreen. It is lightweight, well priced, and simple.

Anyway, this stove (along with the jetboil, pocket rocket and snopeak) all can use what are called Lindal valves IIRC. Long story short? The various modern canister stoves can use the same canisters. MSR, Coleman, Snopeak and Jetboil canisters are all compatible with the other manufacturers stoves, too.

Not sure if the stove you listed is the same or not. It looks the same as mine, but not 100% sure as the names (and suggested fuel types) are different. The C100 type canisters are self sealing and slightly different. Once use them, the stove MUST stay on. I'd buy the slightly more expensive, but more versatile canisters. You may want to contact Coleman directly and see if the European version is the same thing with a different name.

More info? http://zenstoves.net/Canister.htm#CanisterTypes

I am sure the manufacturers would prefer you to buy their brand of canister for their brand of stove, but the fuel canisters will work with the various flavors of stoves.

Jester2000
08-26-2009, 16:25
I am sure the manufacturers would prefer you to buy their brand of canister for their brand of stove, but the fuel canisters will work with the various flavors of stoves.

I've had to ask manufacturers about compatibility a couple of times. It's possible that they would have been completely helpful anyway, but I usually tell them that I'm long distance hiker and have to buy whatever's available in whatever town I'm in, which is never my home town. They've always given me the straight dope.

el.com
08-27-2009, 02:55
Thanks for your help. And thanks for this canister types overview. Apart from the different cartridges the stoves look the same. I think this should work. Maybe I will call the Coleman support to be sure it works... We will see.

zelph
08-27-2009, 09:38
Mags, I think you sold everyone on using a canister.:)

Mags
08-27-2009, 11:16
Mags, I think you sold everyone on using a canister.:)

Oddly enough, I only use canister stoves sparingly. I did a mixed backpacking/road trip/day hikes jaunt in Canada and used a canister stove. (Worked great for the "little of everything" motif!)

On higher mileage weekend backpacks (as opposed to what I call 'social backpacks''), where I am cooking just one or two basic meals, I use the alchy stoves.

For long hikes? (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/tahoe-rim-trail/tahoe-rim-trail.html) I go stove-less now.

And for straight up truck camping? My every handy, mini-propane burner stove. (http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1290166&CAWELAID=153623934) Always in my truck and perfect for when I am camping at the trail head the night before. (http://cwillett.imathas.com/hackberry/hackberry.html)(Along with an old army sleeping bag, a z-rest, a mess kit, some camp chairs and an LED lantern. All in a large plastic tote next to small cooler. A poor man's RV! :) )
The fuel can be found in any grocery store/convenience store esp. in a camping area. :)

Different tools for different jobs.

lazy river road
08-27-2009, 11:57
So im just getting into this whole backpacking thing started buying equipment this summer to do my first overnight trip this labor day (just doing one night out in WV just to get a feel for things). I bought the wisper light and used it at my camp ground and liked how it worked. Could some one explain further why this stove is not a popular one, besides being a bit heavy it worked great for me.

jersey joe
08-27-2009, 12:01
The Whisperlite is an excellent choice. Very light and easy to use. The only negative is there is no simmer, but this was never a problem for me since i was just boiling water. I too spent a little extra for the International, but really, you don't need to. White gas is available almost everywhere and I'm not sure if they are still made this way, but my Whisperlite needs to have the release nozzle switched out in order to use other fuels like regular gas.

lazy river road
08-27-2009, 12:03
i mistakenly wrote wisper light i meant to say that i got the international same stove though right? just that the international takes any fuel...i try to use white gas only for efficency purposes but wanted the option of other fuels just in case

jersey joe
08-27-2009, 12:20
Lazy River, yes, the wisperlite is the same thing as the international, just takes more fuel types.

Jester2000
08-27-2009, 13:41
So im just getting into this whole backpacking thing started buying equipment this summer to do my first overnight trip this labor day (just doing one night out in WV just to get a feel for things). I bought the wisper light and used it at my camp ground and liked how it worked. Could some one explain further why this stove is not a popular one, besides being a bit heavy it worked great for me.

It's still a pretty popular choice. There are just so many options now. It used to be that every other person I saw had a Whisperlite, but there are those who want the simplicity of a cannister stove or the weight savings of an alcohol or esbit stove. With the shaker jet it's also easier to keep unclogged than in the past.

It's a good choice.

Midway Sam
08-27-2009, 13:51
Not to totally derail this thread, but I am becoming increasingly happy with my Zelph alky stove. I'm not sure what he calls this one but it's a blue Bud Light bottle stove with a built-in pot stand and fiberglass wick combo like he uses on his Fancee Feest stove. It "blooms" within a few seconds as compared to a minute or more with my old Pepsi-G stove.

Recently I've been experimenting with "baking" with a Sarbar inspired Fauxbaker and it works great with the alky stove. Granted I use a bit more food than I do when I just boil water for FBC, but I would probably only "bake" once or twice on a week-long trip.

I also experimented with "cooking" some Jambalaya on the alky stove rather than just boiling water and dumping it in the freezer bag. It worked just fine without a simmer attachment and the resulting Jambalaya was a lot better, the rice wasn't as crunchy as I'm used to when I FBC.

Jester2000
08-27-2009, 16:07
Not to totally derail this thread, but I am becoming increasingly happy with my Zelph alky stove. I'm not sure what he calls this one but it's a blue Bud Light bottle stove with a built-in pot stand and fiberglass wick combo like he uses on his Fancee Feest stove. It "blooms" within a few seconds as compared to a minute or more with my old Pepsi-G stove.

Recently I've been experimenting with "baking" with a Sarbar inspired Fauxbaker and it works great with the alky stove. Granted I use a bit more food than I do when I just boil water for FBC, but I would probably only "bake" once or twice on a week-long trip.

I also experimented with "cooking" some Jambalaya on the alky stove rather than just boiling water and dumping it in the freezer bag. It worked just fine without a simmer attachment and the resulting Jambalaya was a lot better, the rice wasn't as crunchy as I'm used to when I FBC.

You're not derailing it! The title of the thread is "Stoves -- what is recommended?"

We've got your answer. If I started putting my world-famous jambalaya recipes on this thread, it would be well on the way to being derailed. If I then went on to talk of my love for Zydeco, this thread would resemble the train from The Fugitive.