PDA

View Full Version : Gaiter of choice for PCT

royalusa
08-23-2009, 09:56
Whats the most common brand name of gaiters used on the PCT? I've read where some break during week 1, so I'm wanting to avoid those. Seen a few pics of hikers who are wearing the Dirty Girl brand - thoughts on those? Anyone have luck w/ ones that lasted a long time without issues?

duquetter
08-23-2009, 11:11
I use outdoor research (OR) gaiters after having many EMS gaiters rip on me. Used them on the 100 mie wilderness last year in Maine, lots of mud and rain, and just fininshed the John Muir Trail this past July with the same set and they hold up well. Looking forward to many more years with them.

duquetter

Jester2000
08-23-2009, 12:57
If the question is: what is the most common brand name, then the answer is Dirty Girls from what I saw last year. They are designed mainly to keep debris out of your shoes, as weather is less of a problem on the PCT. They are not waterproof and are not made of wicking material, but they dry very quickly and are machine washable.

There were so many Dirty Girls on the PCT last year that hikers were mixing and matching them via trading, and at a certain point most of the people I saw with them were wearing two different designs.

I started out with a pair of OR desert gaiters, but seeing as nothing was keeping sand out of my shoes, I ditched them (in fact, nothing was keeping sand and dirt from getting all the way up my long pants to my underwear, which was a constant source of mystery to me).

royalusa
08-23-2009, 14:04
Thanks Jester. Looking for brand names that seemed to work in PCT conditions. You have a good point in that gaiters will still not totally solve the sand in shoes issue.

Jester2000
08-23-2009, 14:28
Thanks Jester. Looking for brand names that seemed to work in PCT conditions. You have a good point in that gaiters will still not totally solve the sand in shoes issue.

I will say that while they won't completely solve the problem, both the stretchiness of the fabric and the velcro on the heel did seem to make a difference for some.

My gaiters , while they did have an elastic of some sort in them, still had lots of little spaces. Dirty Girls seemed to fit pretty tight against the shoes (most of which were so well ventilated that, well, you know).

They are light, though.

Jeff
08-23-2009, 14:28
I have only sectioned the first 454 miles to Saufleys and saw very few hikers in the desert with gators.

Dogwood
08-23-2009, 16:10
I used Dirty Girls in the Mojave Desert and SoCal and switched to shortie(ankle height) stretchy highly breathable highly water resistant REI Schoeller fabric gaiters for punching through snow and ice in the Sierras and northern WA. Schoeller fabric works great in abrasive mountainous or muddy areas and is highly water and dirt resistant. If you stand in water long enough though they will start soaking through. The Dirty Girls don't last long but they are UL and not really expensive, IMO; they do breathe well and work at keeping the sand and debris out of your low cuts in the desert though. Be aware that Dirty Girls require that you attach a piece of velcro to the rear upper heel of your shoes(one set included with purchase). They don't work as customary with gaiters by attaching with a cord under the shoe. They also require putting on before putting on shoes and to take off you have to take off your shoes.

Dogwood
08-23-2009, 16:13
I also mimic Jester's comments. You may find them, as I did, rather tight fitting if you have high insteps.

sbhikes
09-08-2009, 17:38
Dirtygirls work great to keep the sand and rocks from falling into your shoes. Until you get holes in your shoes. Your feet will be clean only where the Dirtygirls are. Mine lasted 3 months but had to be patched with dental floss. I think I can get another few months out of them. Make sure your shoes have a place you can stick the velcro to. If not, they'll still work because it's like stretchy bathing suit material. Best thing about them is they are very cool. Hiker chic.