PDA

View Full Version : Helium or Phantom 15??

TNFrosty
07-22-2004, 16:39
I am going to be purchasing a new bag for fall/winter hiking. I have narrowed my choices down to the Marmot Helium or the Mountain Hardwear Phantom 15. Anyone that has had any experience with these two bags, I'm all eyes. :D
Thanks

DebW
07-22-2004, 17:00
I looked at a Phantom 32 in a store. The web site specs said 4 inches of loft. It had 3 inches. Weight was 2-3 oz over spec. The down was loose enough in the baffles to leave gaps if you weren't careful. I stuffed the bag and when removed from the stuff sack, the down didn't loft back up well - stayed kind of matted even after shaking. My advise would be to not buy one sight unseen.

SavageLlama
07-22-2004, 17:09
don't mean to bogart your thread.. but has anyone used the Marmot Hydrogen?

TREE-HUGGER
07-23-2004, 11:45
I bought a helium about a year ago and have spent lots of nights in it. It's true to the temp range. Just after I bought mine they came out with the new phantom 15. I like the phantom better because it has a good yoke/draft collar for the neck. I have had bags with good yokes and bags with out them at all..... and the ones with yokes have always been amazingly warmer and more comfortable. But at the time I went crazy over the weight of the helium and there was nothing out there at the moment that could beat it. My next purchase is a phantom.