PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Highlands to Sugar Grove

Muskrat0907
08-23-2009, 17:46
Looking to do a 5 day trip over Labor Day Weekend (Thur - Tue). Can anyone tell me what the current water conditions for this area is like?

Thanks in advance for any info, :rolleyes:

JJJ
08-23-2009, 17:50
Contrary to the past couple of years there's good water.
We get the occasional rain too. :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
08-23-2009, 18:19
Looking to do a 5 day trip over Labor Day Weekend (Thur - Tue). Can anyone tell me what the current water conditions for this area is like?

PLENTY of water there now

Muskrat0907
08-24-2009, 15:04
Thanks for the update. That make 1 less water bottle in my pack! :banana

Wild Type
08-24-2009, 15:19
Just did a fifty miler between Dickey Gap and Damascus (Aug 9-13) and all of the mapped springs were flowing well in addition to many unmapped seasonal seeps and streams along the trail. There is a hose at the Scales corral (treatment required), and the rest rooms at the Bear Tree day use area were back on line too (the showers were luke warm).

SawnieRobertson
08-24-2009, 16:31

Furthermore, we are expecting more rain. Just watch the weather reports and figure that, unless we suddenly find ourselves in a dry summer pattern, there is no way you could have water problems.--Kinnickinic

Muskrat0907
08-25-2009, 21:03
Thanks for the info. We had a friend just complete about 50-60 miles south of Bland VA and he was saying water was "ok", had some stretches were they didn't see any water (8 miles or so...) and the ridgelines were very dry. Certainly rain patterns can change things as well as some places just dry up rather quickly, but from these posts its sounds like we should be ok. Thanks a bunch !