PDA

View Full Version : Pennsylvania South Bound End of September

twlhome
08-24-2009, 08:43
Hello,

I am new to this and have some experience, but I would not say I am an expert. I am planning a hike thru from around Harrisburg area south to Georgia. I was looking to see if anyone is heading that way and was looking for a partner. Also, I was looking for anyone who has any tips for this journey. I am planning to head south around 19th to the 26th of September. I am flexible on the dates. Would love any feed back.

Thank you

Tedd

max patch
08-24-2009, 16:07
You'll get more helpful info if you ask specific questions.

Tractor
08-24-2009, 17:40
Check out some of the Articles, left hand side of the Home Page. Try searching posts & threads for key words. Take care and remember your Plan A is just the first one in the series.

Homer&Marje
08-25-2009, 10:25
That only applies in New Hampshire, not PA through GA I don't believe. You'd have to check local jurisdictions though.

mister krabs
08-25-2009, 15:43
Read the articles section, especially "what to pack" here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=132311)

Seriously, spend a lot of time in the articles section.

twlhome
08-25-2009, 16:58
Yeah, right now my mind is on information overload. I feel like that bing commerical. Some sites say one thing and another site says another. I have read most of the articles on here. And found most to be very interesting. I didn't realize that this site was a clicke site. I didin't realize this site was only for the elite trekkers. I thought this site was for people looking for information and tips. To answer some peoples concerns. Yes I did a reality check. Am I going to win the race, no. I am not doing this trek to be part of some elite fame seeking club. I am not doing it to get 20 miles a day or more. I am not doing it for fame, for riches or for anything else. I am doing it because I have always wanted to do a hike. I have a side of me that really wants to have a cabin in the middle of the woods and live off of the land. I have a nomad spirit that I have pretty much ignore for most of my life. I am setting out on this journey to enjoy the journey. To enjoy what most people don't take the time to enjoy. I am going to enjoy the views, enjoy what nature has to offer. If it takes me four month or six months then so be it. If all I walk is 8 miles in a day than so be it. So thank you all for letting me know this site is for people who want to race through and be part of a clicke. I want to be part of something bigger than that.

Homer&Marje
08-25-2009, 17:07
If that's what you got out of peoples advice here your sorely mistaken. No one is doubting that you want to walk the trail.

A lot of us have a nomad spirit in us that want to go and live off the land in a cabin off in the woods.

A lot of people have simply told you, go do it....walk until you can't, won't, or realize you have found what you were looking for.

No one is doubting your want, desire or will to accomplish a task. But what was set out for everyone to judge on was a guy in need of medical attention hitting the trail broke, without enough food, and with improper equipment and experience.

There is tons of crazy experienced people on this site and not one of them will tell you that you can't do it. Most of them will say it will be very difficult and possibly dangerous with the information that was given about your attempt.

Good luck, hike the trail and have fun.

twlhome
08-26-2009, 08:18
No one is doubting your want, desire or will to accomplish a task. But what was set out for everyone to judge on was a guy in need of medical attention hitting the trail broke, without enough food, and with improper equipment and experience.

Good luck, hike the trail and have fun.

Thank you Homer & Marje, but apparently you have me mistaken with someone else. No where did I say I was broke, needed medical attention, not having enough food, equipment etc.

The first reply I got was check out the reality check section of the website. Not a Hello, can you give us more details. I have gotten nothing but why did you come here.

I have a REI Mars backpack. I have the Cirque ASL 2 tent. I have the Coleman X0 sleeping bag. I have probably more things than I really need, but I am under the belief prepare for the worse and hope for the best. I would rather bring a couple of extra things that I may not need, then need them and not have them.

Reading articles is great and have have found a wealth of information. Some has been conflicting some not. I was hoping being that everyone has a different exprience on the trail. What I was looking for might be some things people found to be helpful. Little things that may not be in the articles.

So I hope this clears up any miscommunications.

Homer&Marje
08-26-2009, 08:25
Have a good time. Someone else came to the site stating how unprepared you are. Maybe that is just a control mechanism on their part to sway the argument in their direction.

Go...Hike...have a great time. Bring whatever you want and what you don't need you can mail home. If your not broke then what you need will be found on the trail somewhere.

This whole site is one giant conflicting argument. Hike your own hike. Sounds like your prepared "enough", what that means is you think your prepared enough so go.

If your not prepared enough the trail will tell you very quickly

STEVEM
08-26-2009, 08:30
Twlhome, The big confussion has been that you and SaintMichael seem to be the same person. Are you? If not, I would assume you're friends and might enjoy hiking together. Why not give that a try?

George
08-26-2009, 08:59
look at the # of posts from the first response, take it from there --hike as much as you can between now and when you leave, simulate a long hike, walk into a strange town and resupply for 4 days, learn what you use and leave the rest behind-- mostly have a good time

Jman426
08-26-2009, 11:52
Twlhome, The big confussion has been that you and SaintMichael seem to be the same person. Are you? If not, I would assume you're friends and might enjoy hiking together. Why not give that a try?

No, they are not the same person. I am married to SaintMichael. SaintMichael is a concerned family member that while not questioning his wanting to go. She is questioning his preparation and the timeframe inwhich he wants to make this trek.

I say let him go. One less thing in our lives for my wife and I to argue about.

twlhome
08-29-2009, 18:26
I had no idea my family found this website nor would do what they did. All I can say is I am so sorry. But this website is too useful to either not come back or re register under a fake name. I have too many other people who care for me and would like to keep in contact with me. I know many on here will not help me now for what they did and I am willing to accept that.

I already have the ball in motion and I am too excited too far down the path to turn back. This is a journey too many years in the waiting. Everyone but my family saw this coming and were not surprised by me taking this journey. My doctor approved this journey and actually said it would probably the best thing I could do for myself.

I know that if I "hike-hike" this it will take me 92 days. That is doing 10 to 15 miles per day. Which I may do, but I want to take my time and enjoy this journey. To take the time to enjoy the views and take the journey where ever that may be.

And I know that I will reach that moutain top in Georgia. I will stand on that mountan top and I will be a better person for taking the journey and doing something that most would never take the time to do.

So I hope you can accept my apology, and I hope some out there are still willing to help me. I would appreciate the help. And who knows if someone is heading the same direction and wants to join me, I will be happy to have company.

Tedd

Cookerhiker
08-30-2009, 11:27
You haven't said how you're arriving at your starting point but the other thread mentioned walking. If you're unable to secure a ride to Duncannon or wherever you wanted to start around Harrisburg, you could walk down the Great Allegheny Passage (http://www.atatrail.org) to Cumberland where it ends and walk the C&O Canal to Harpers Ferry where you join the AT. It's all flat walking with can be monotonous and stressful in its own right but if you're walking, it's your best option.

Tree climber
08-30-2009, 11:28
Hey Ted i just did a walk from penn mar Md to duncannon.. and im looking to go from duncannon frather south,, like maybe harpers ferry.. its like 125 miles and i could hang like 10 or so days.. and same here any dates are cool with me.. i hiked the whole state of pa and just wana get out again before winter.. let me know

twlhome
08-31-2009, 08:28
I thought it was called the Potomac Heritage Trail, but ok yeah my two options are either get a ride to rte 30 near fayettevilles and at or walk the trail from pittsburgh to cumberland then to the at. I have been riding the fence on the whole map thing some say just use the books and the strip map some say buy the maps. which if I hike both I think it was like 17 or 18 maps which is a lot to buy and keep track of in my pack, but if it will help then I guess I will buy them. My other option was just buying the ones where I knew I would be getting of the at to go into town for resupply and just use the strip map the rest of the time.

Yeah tree climber I will keep you in mind. If I do take the trail from pitt to the at then I will let you know so we can meet up on the trail and hike together. My start date really just depends on when I can tie up the loose ends. Trust me if I could snap my fingers and click my heels three times I would be on the trail right now. My mind is already there it is just a matter of getting the rest of me there. I am also going to upload a picture later. I know I can't take a picture of myself on this journey so I have a teddy bear that I will use as me to take pictures along the journey to say I was here. But if anyone has help on the whole map thing I would greatly appreciate it.

Pilgrim '11
09-01-2009, 13:29
Hello,

I am new to this and have some experience, but I would not say I am an expert. I am planning a hike thru from around Harrisburg area south to Georgia. I was looking to see if anyone is heading that way and was looking for a partner. Also, I was looking for anyone who has any tips for this journey. I am planning to head south around 19th to the 26th of September. I am flexible on the dates. Would love any feed back.

Thank you

Tedd

I'm going to skip the whole mistaken identity discussion and get back to your original question.

What you need to put together a good plan is data.
Get yourself an advisor; someone who's done the whole thing and is happy with their experience. Ask around. You'll be surprised - I found someone just down the hall!

You'll find a list of shelters and mileages here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=shelters
and a nifty Google map here: http://www.cs.utk.edu/~dunigan/at/googleat.php though be advised the mileages on this Google map do *not* match any other documentation (they're close, though).
Chris Johnson has put together a series of elevation profile maps that can help you plan reasonable days so you know in advance where you'll be doing a lot of climbing and where it's relatively level. http://parkaymaps.110mb.com/

I don't have one yet, but I'm told a "Thru Hikers Companion" from ATC http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805469/k.FFE6/Guidebooks_and_Maps.htm is indispensable. Lots of good information about trail towns, resupply points, stuff to see, etc.

Train. Yeah I know the Trail is its own best training. But I remain committed to the idea that I will be more comfortable and get more from the experience if I'm fit and limber and know my equipment intimately well before I start. It improves the odds I don't get discouraged by unpleasant weather or circumstances, or side-lined by an injury.

Good luck!

twlhome
09-02-2009, 08:00
Hello Pilgrim 11,

Yeah I have the Thru Hiker Companion and the 2009 Guide book. Both are good and Yeah the Thru Hiker is really helpful. I copy and pasted the list of shelts and milage between them and made a really good schedule for the hike. I know most on here are the avid hikers who do a 20 mile day and got it down to a 20 lb bag.

But for me this is a journey. I am not really focusing on "hiking" the trail more of enjoying the trail. If I see something that inspires me to stop and write a poem or take a photograph or just sit back and enjoy the view, then I will do that. I don't just want to hike on the trail I want to be part of it. I know that may be crazy talk and all, but for me this is more about the journey than about the hiking. I have found a lot of useful info on this website more so than others. This site really should be considered the "offical" site for the trail. Been to the others and yeah they have some useful info, but not nearly as much on here.

I am doing "mini" hikes before I leave on my journey to make sure I get the feel and get in shape. At this point I think I pretty much have everything down and everything I need to be successful. Now it is just a matter of closing up shop and getting my body to the trail. My mind is already there and enjoying it.

Cookerhiker
09-02-2009, 09:29
Hello Pilgrim 11,

Yeah I have the Thru Hiker Companion and the 2009 Guide book. Both are good and Yeah the Thru Hiker is really helpful. I copy and pasted the list of shelts and milage between them and made a really good schedule for the hike. I know most on here are the avid hikers who do a 20 mile day and got it down to a 20 lb bag.

But for me this is a journey. I am not really focusing on "hiking" the trail more of enjoying the trail. If I see something that inspires me to stop and write a poem or take a photograph or just sit back and enjoy the view, then I will do that. I don't just want to hike on the trail I want to be part of it. I know that may be crazy talk and all, but for me this is more about the journey than about the hiking. I have found a lot of useful info on this website more so than others. This site really should be considered the "offical" site for the trail. Been to the others and yeah they have some useful info, but not nearly as much on here.

I am doing "mini" hikes before I leave on my journey to make sure I get the feel and get in shape. At this point I think I pretty much have everything down and everything I need to be successful. Now it is just a matter of closing up shop and getting my body to the trail. My mind is already there and enjoying it.

No, it's not "crazy talk."

Nothing wrong with your approach at all - you readily understand that there's no official or "right" way to hike. Have a good journey! Enjoy it to the fullest extent!

twlhome
09-02-2009, 11:34
Thanks CookerHiker, I appreciate it. See all of you SOBO on the trail soon.

Pilgrim '11
09-10-2009, 14:12
No, it's not "crazy talk."

Nothing wrong with your approach at all - you readily understand that there's no official or "right" way to hike. Have a good journey! Enjoy it to the fullest extent!

I agree - not "crazy talk" at all.
I didn't mean to imply that the mechanics of planning are everything. What I know is I've done lots of detailed planning, but when my boots hit the ground the plan becomes just a guide;

You're absolutely right: it's a journey and yours will be your own. Go for what you want.

twlhome
09-11-2009, 08:03
Thanks Pilgrim 11,

I can't wait in just a little more than a week, I will be hitting the trail. YEAH!!! I can't wait. Been telling everyone, and everyone is really glad to hear I am talking the time and taking this journey for myself. I really can't wait. I have been doing my mini hikes to prepare for this journey, and my boots can't wait to walk on the AT.

This will be a great time to go. I will see the end of summer, fall and the beginning of winter. It is going to be a great inspirational journey. I am itching to going. The 23rd can't come fast enough. Thanks to all who helped and gave some encouraging words. I appreciated it. I will try to upload some pics while on the trail.

Till then. Good Journey!

peakbagger
09-11-2009, 08:21
When sectioning the AT, fall hiking was great down in the mid atlantic except for water sources. A lot of the ridgeline sources at campsites were frequently dry. THere was water along the trail, but normally down in the valleys so it required a bit more planning (or lugging water). Not so sure this year as it has been wet

verrichiro
09-17-2009, 16:38
Hi Twlhome!

This is your friends at the chiro office. Haven't heard from you and wondering if you are all ready for the journey on the AT. Keep in touch and happy hiking!

twlhome
09-18-2009, 06:58
Hello All, this is an update. I just about have all of my gear and stuff. I am on track for setting out on the 23rd. I am excited, scared, overjoyed, overwhelmed, excited opps did I say that already. I really can't believe this journey became real. I thought for sure some kind of road block would stop this journey. There were some road blocks and set backs, yet I knew in my heart of hearts nothing was going to keep me from this journey.

My pack is going to be a little on the heavy side compared to some on here. My goal right now is trying to keep in within the 30 to 40 lb range. Which I think I am going to make that goal.

I am sure I will have a little more clothing and food than others would take, but I am trying to plan to have what I need for what ever situation comes up. So I would rather take a little extra and have it, than need it and not have it.

I am trying to hold back the tears of joy and not doing too many happy dances, but watch out AT here I come!!!! :banana

twlhome
09-22-2009, 07:08
Well tomorrow is the big day. I am taking the dog to Duncannon and will officially start hiking of Thursday. The Dog does not get into Duncannon until late, so will stay the night and then start my journey.

Right now I am scared, excited, and just about everywhere else my emotions can go. I am finishing the packing of my back pack today and will try to weigh it later. But I think I meet my goal of under 40 lbs, which I think is good. I know I am not under 20 lbs. Which is fine with me. I didn't want to be one of hyperlight backers. I wanted some comforts on the trail.

I will try to update and upload pics along the way. I can tell by some of the posts I will behind the bubble of SOBO going south to GA. But who knows I might run into one or two.

Well until later, good journey to all.

verrichiro
10-01-2009, 16:11
Hey Ted! Just wanted to check in and see how you are doing and how the AT is. Take your time and don't overdo it. Keep us posted on your progress. Take care.