PDA

View Full Version : questions on a sept or oct hike

Baztard132
07-22-2004, 21:47
Hi everybody, Im planning a hike sept oct or nov, from around the NJ part of the trail to about the pen./md part of the trail. I think the estimated milage is about 240 to 280, and Im planning on 20 mile days or so... so about 2 weeks. Im just looking to see if anybody has any advice or ideas about it. Thanks!!
Jason

jersey joe
07-23-2004, 01:18
I have no idea when hunting season is but while going through Pennsylvania in May I ran into a ton of hunters. Might be a good idea to have something brightly colored visable. Other than that, NJ and Penn are great hiking, not too much elevation change, have fun!

Moon Monster
07-23-2004, 01:36
Good point about hunting, it is an issue in parts of Sept. and October in some areas.

Check out these sites:
http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/hunting.htm

Jason, consider a couple or more half-days in your schedule. Averaging 20 miles per day is certainly possible in this stretch for a fit 19 year old, but you'll probably still enjoy some lesser days mixed in.

SavageLlama
07-23-2004, 10:01
Fall is the best time to hike, if you ask me. No bugs, cool nights and foliage.http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

But 20 miles/day for 2 weeks is a lofty goal.. You may want to cut back slightly to better enjoy the hike. just a thought.

Jersey Bob
07-23-2004, 10:16
at least 10 characters

MOWGLI
07-23-2004, 10:29
I have no idea when hunting season is but while going through Pennsylvania in May I ran into a ton of hunters. Might be a good idea to have something brightly colored visable. Other than that, NJ and Penn are great hiking, not too much elevation change, have fun!

I have heard tell that the only state with more hunters (per capita) is Michigan. I probably heard more gunshots during the 13 days it took me to get through PA, than I did in all the other 13 states combined! That is no exaggeration. That was also during June.

I have a good friend who was also harrassed by a hunter in PA. He yelled at her from a treestand that she shouldn't be in the woods. She was wearing blaze orange at the time.

BTW, I am not anti-hunting. Just anti-getting shot while hiking.

Baztard132
07-23-2004, 17:24
Thanks for the advice! I didnt even think about hunting season.. Maybe Ill make a little flag pole off my backpack and have a flag flyin so they see me :) And youre probably all right about the 20 mile a day, but i want to try to keep it at least under 3 weeks. Also, do you think that i could carry 2 weeks worth of food or would that be too much weight? The longest Ive gone out was 8 days! Thanks!

jason

frankcornbread
07-23-2004, 17:59
The ATC site has a blaze orange pack cover for sale. Could be cheap insurance. Or not. Seems like it's always somethin'
FC

prozac
07-25-2004, 10:52
Your best bet is to wear a blaze orange hat or bandanna. Makes you visible from any angle. I personally have no fear hiking Jersey or Pennsy in the fall and find it the best time to hike. That being said I wouldn't advise ever going out opening week for buck in either state. The rest of fall in Pennsy is bow, shotgun or muzzleloader season with limited ranges and usually small numbers of serious (responsible) hunters. Opening day for buck (always the first Monday after Thanksgiving) is 3 million weekend warriors with high powered rifles. Not good odds for hiking.

Kerosene
07-25-2004, 14:10
Most of my section hiking over the past 5 years has been in the Fall, which, as SavagaLlama notes, is fantastic due to the lack of bugs, cooler temperatures and beautiful colors if you hit the peak color season. Some of the drawbacks include lower water levels, wide swings in temperature, and either the constant shush-shush of dry leaves as you walk through them as they hide the rocks below, or a very slippery trail if it's wet.

Even youngsters like yourself want to be careful about starting out with 20-mile days. You could probably do it, but everything has to work out and you dramatically increase the chance of debilitating injury (e.g., tendonitis, sprain, raw feet, etc.). It won't be your level of fitness as much as the unexpected injury due to sudden overuse that could drive you off the trail sooner than planned. With 3 weeks to burn, you could start with 12-15 mile days and ramp up after 5 days or so. Don't forget that the days are a lot shorter in the Fall, so you won't be able to stretch those miles out over as many daylight hours!

I'd shoot to carry 3-5 days of food at the most and resupply in places like Palmerton, Port Clinton, Duncannon, Chambersburg. You'll be able to walk faster by carrying less weight and your body won't be beaten down with a heavier pack (1.5 to 2 pounds of food per person per day). Plus, you should consider 1-2 zero or nero (near zero) days in or around a resupply town.

It can be more than a little disturbing to be walking along with nearby rifle fire going off and no one recognizing that you're in the vicinity. I would definitely stay out of the woods during the first week of deer season, but I'm much less concerned about bow season.