PDA

View Full Version : In Praise of Me, Second Edition

Jester2000
08-24-2009, 15:19
I recall fondly (and with praise) the halcyon days of the first "In Praise of Me" thread, posted in praise and celebration of my 400th post.

I remember in that thread the strange references to the Maine Land Trust, Pepto Bismol, The Cartoon Network, Cows, and Speedo-wearing French Canadians that, while having nothing whatsoever to do with praise of me, nonetheless provided needed contrast to my magesty and glory, and made the praising of me seem all the more appropriate.

And I know, as well, how much those who praised me in 2007 appreciated the opportunity to do so in a public forum, as opposed to doing so privately in a motel room the morning after.

So it is that on this, my 2000th post, I offer once again the opportunity to praise me, for which so many in the past have been grateful.

I praise my own generosity and magnanimity for so doing.

Lugnut
08-24-2009, 15:40
Well it's been two hours and twenty minutes. The response seems to be underwhelming! :D

The Weasel
08-24-2009, 15:47
Three observations:

1) Walt Whitman appears to have been reincarnated, but the second version is a bit strange. http://www.daypoems.net/poems/1900.html
2) Jester's post is entertaining, a source of interesting thoughts (see (1), above), and has nothing to do with the AT or backpacking. It will, therefore, be shortlived before the thread is, accordingly, closed.
3) The previous statement is likely to result in this post being deleted, as well as the thread being closed.
4) The Weasel can't count.

TW

cc: Jester 2000 and Lugnut

Summit
08-24-2009, 15:48
I praise you for being a modest SOB! :eek: :p

neighbor dave
08-24-2009, 15:48
2000 posts on whiteblaze = mis-spent adulthood;):D

rcli4
08-24-2009, 15:55
Congratulations on your P2K. You now walk among the hiking/posting gods. Wipe your feet at the door and don't touch the pork chops unless there on your plate.

Clyde

Jester2000
08-24-2009, 16:01
Well it's been two hours and twenty minutes. The response seems to be underwhelming! :D

I wonder, if not aloud then at least atype, "does lugnut live in an alternate universe, a different world of sorts (though not the kind featuring Lisa Bonet), where time is of a different measure, where his 21 minutes are so boring that they stretch, catlike, into more than two hours?"

And then I think that no, Lugnut thought of so many things for which I deserve praise that that small time seemed stretched, as if so many praiseworthy features could not possibly have been compressed into so short a span.

I praise myself for my quick-witted deduction, and for the deep understanding necessary to ascertain his problem.

Lugnut
08-24-2009, 16:06
I wonder, if not aloud then at least atype, "does lugnut live in an alternate universe, a different world of sorts (though not the kind featuring Lisa Bonet), where time is of a different measure, where his 21 minutes are so boring that they stretch, catlike, into more than two hours?"

Yes, I do. Lisa says hello.:)

Mags
08-24-2009, 16:06
I praise my own generosity and magnanimity for so doing.

Everytime my last name is said, my magnanimity is noted.

But this thread is in praise of your magnanimity..so I really don't have much to say. :p

Jester2000
08-24-2009, 16:14
It will, therefore, be shortlived before the thread is, accordingly, closed.

Weasel is often wise (or what passes for wise online), and so one might take his message to closely to heart.

For, I think, the answer is found in the user agreement itself:

"These rules are designed to make WhiteBlaze useful and enjoyable. . . As you do, please keep in mind that the purpose of WhiteBlaze is to foster a sense of friendship and community among its members. Behavior that is contrary to that sense of community is not welcome here, and will not be tolerated by WhiteBlaze."

I ask (and am already pre-praising myself for the stunning amount of logic about to be shown), what could be more enjoyable than reading, and taking part in, praise of me? What better exemplifies the fostering of the sense of friendship and community that is whiteblaze than the praising of not just one of it's members, but one of it's members who so richly, even if only for being one of only 91 people to reach the pinnacle of 2,000 posts, deserves praise?

One might think (and one would be worthy of praise for so thinking) that to delete such a thread would itself be "behavior that is contrary to that sense of community," and so would not be tolerated by whiteblaze itself.

I praise my genius!

Jester2000
08-24-2009, 16:18
I praise you for being a modest SOB! :eek: :p

I bask in Summit's praise like a modest, yet incredibly rare Mojave Green (incredibly rare, perhaps, only in my un-Mojave Green-like ability to type).

I recall praising myself for my modesty in the original "In Praise of Me" thread, and am happy to have acted as a positive role model for Summit, for which I praise myself.

wakapak
08-24-2009, 16:23
Hmm, it seems I am overdue praising myself for hitting 2,000....:rolleyes: :p :o

The Weasel
08-24-2009, 16:27
I bask in Summit's praise like a modest, yet incredibly rare Mojave Green (incredibly rare, perhaps, only in my un-Mojave Green-like ability to type).

I recall praising myself for my modesty in the original "In Praise of Me" thread, and am happy to have acted as a positive role model for Summit, for which I praise myself.

You have to stop praising yourself now until you get to 3,000. Until then, you have to let the rest of us praise you. :rolleyes:

As for the User Agreement, it's probably a violation of several TOS rules. Although it may be perfectly acceptable to mock or belittle oneself. That's not clear. But you're not mocking yourself, are you? Or are you? :-?

TW

ed bell
08-24-2009, 16:29
<snip>
2) Jester's post is entertaining, a source of interesting thoughts (see (1), above), and has nothing to do with the AT or backpacking. It will, therefore, be shortlived before the thread is, accordingly, closed.
<snip>

It is humorous, and submitted by a hiker, so, ed bell approves this thread.:cool:

Jester2000
08-24-2009, 17:00
. . .Wipe your feet at the door and don't touch the pork chops unless they're on your plate.

Clyde

Schedule permitting, I will accept Clyde's generous and praiseworthy invitation, understanding (of course) what joy my presence will give, and cannot imagine a reason why the porkchops would be anywhere other than on my plate.

I will even, because of the already noted generosity of the offer, forgo my normal routine of wiping my butt at the door.

But this thread is in praise of your magnanimity..so I really don't have much to say. :p

I understand what Mags is trying to convey; sometimes I too, when contemplating myself, am struck silent in awe.

Pacific Tortuga
08-24-2009, 17:30
If it was that big a deal you know you would have video taped it for your next reality show.
Are you filming in Fanasy Land again this year ?
No wait, I'm the one living in Southern Cal. and failed to make it half way.
Sorry Jester, as you were. :cool:

johnnybgood
08-24-2009, 17:40
In the spirit of this glorious occasion I too send my praises although my 400th post came and went without even so much as lip service.

I applaud you for the gallant effort of a thread which has seen remarkable response and really isn't that funny.;)

I will give you props though and BTW, I think this thread might actually reach page 2 somehow.:rolleyes:

Jack Tarlin
08-24-2009, 17:45
Damn, congratulations, Jester.

In a few weeks, I'll be up to Post # 11,111, which is pretty ridiculous.

Will try to make it pithy.

RedneckRye
08-24-2009, 18:24
Has Jester been taking lessons from Chomp?

Jester2000
08-24-2009, 18:25
. . . I applaud you for the gallant effort of a thread which has seen remarkable response and really isn't that funny.;) . . .

johnnybgood beats around the bush here a bit, I think, and I will acknowledge his thought and try to flesh it out.

Why, both Johnny and I want to know, has this thread been put in the intellectual ghetto of the humor forum, home of poop jokes and the rambling, incoherent "No Such A Thing As a Warraghiyagey" thread, the bandwidth of which would be better taken up by poop jokes?

Is there something humorous about praising me? Of course not. Those of you who suppose that the "Praise of Me" Thread is a place for that sort of thing, well, you need to go back to supposing school.

I praise johnny for his acumen, though not his predictive powers; I, by myself, could easily make this thread longer than two pages.

I praise myself for my willingness toshare the spotlight by throwing some praise johnnybgood's way.

weary
08-24-2009, 18:32
....I remember in that thread the strange references to the Maine Land Trust, Pepto Bismol, The Cartoon Network, Cows, and Speedo-wearing French Canadians that, while having nothing whatsoever to do with praise of me, nonetheless provided needed contrast to my magesty and glory, and made the praising of me seem all the more appropriate.....
I think Jester means the Maine APPALACHIAN TRAIL Land Trust. Anyway, we are still around, still active trying to work with a coalition to save another few thousand threatened acres in the high peaks area around Saddleback.

If you think you may want to help, open www.matlt.org

Weary

The Weasel
08-24-2009, 18:52
It is humorous, and submitted by a hiker, so, ed bell approves this thread.:cool:

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

TW

Jester2000
08-24-2009, 19:16
Hmm, it seems I am overdue praising myself for hitting 2,000....:rolleyes: :p :o

It is important to note that my 2,000th post is the occasion on which we are praising me, but not neccessarily the notable accomplishment for which we are praising me.

wakapak, we could, instead, say that you are not overdue, but "on hiker time." I understand completely. I was born three weeks late, and someone like Jack would say something about how that has informed my behavior as a houseguest ever since.

I praise myself for my ability to empathize with wakapak without going off-topic by praising her.

Jester2000
08-24-2009, 19:33
Walt Whitman appears to have been reincarnated, but the second version is a bit strange.

I accept this high praise, especially in regards to the strangeness. Although I will note that the Spotted Hawk never complains of my gab and my loitering. The police officers in Harpers Ferry, on the other hand, are a different matter entirely.

Disney
08-24-2009, 19:58
Has Jester been taking lessons from Chomp?

Hey Chomp is awesome. I know that because I saw a video on the interweb making that assertion, and everything on the interweb is true.

I have not yet seen videos praising Jester, although that does not mean they do not exist. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

I also concede that I am not in the least part qualified to determine whether or not Jester is praiseworthy. That duty would fall to Jester himself.

Clearly Jester has made the assertion that he is praiseworthy, he invites us to contribute and heap praise upon his head. Because he wants us to do this thing, he would not lie while asking us because that would not be praiseworthy and the praise would not be forthcoming. Therefore he has a vested self interest in telling us the truth, so I must conclude he is praiseworthy.

Unless it's just one f'n thing after another.

Jester, your Chilly Willy's were at the same time the best and worst peer pressure activities I ever succumbed to while hiking.

Jester2000
08-24-2009, 20:03
Jester, your Chilly Willy's were at the same time the best and worst peer pressure activities I ever succumbed to while hiking.

Now that, my friend, is high praise indeed.

emerald
08-24-2009, 21:59
I wish I had a wacky post to contribute, but I don't always have one when I'd like one.:(

mudhead
08-25-2009, 09:34
I cut cheese in your honor.

Are you an ambidextrous self praiser, or do you favor one over the other?

CowHead
08-25-2009, 09:51
dang when I grow up I want to be just like you.....NOT!

Gray Blazer
08-25-2009, 10:01
Damn, congratulations, Jester.

In a few weeks, I'll be up to Post # 11,111, which is pretty ridiculous.

Will try to make it pithy.

I'm sure it will pith some people off.

Jester, congratulations are in order, but, I seem to have misplaced them.

Buzz_Lightfoot
08-25-2009, 12:55
2000 posts? 2000?!

Get some rails for those posts and start fencing!

(All right, I've done better. Work has drained my brain cells.)

Jester2000
08-25-2009, 13:34
I wish I had a wacky post to contribute, but I don't always have one when I'd like one.:(

I know Emerald! And I sympathize, although this has never happened to me personally. And I praise my ability to sympathize! Fortunately, there's a solution . . .

This is because, unlike most animals, the insides of a goose are made up entirely of goose poop.

My food tastes like butt regardless of the food I use. Mostly because my diet is heavily butt-based.

Check again. Are those your ankles, or have you accidentally put onions in your boots?

Pride goeth before the fall.

Wait. That's not right.
It's summer.

Summer goeth before the fall.

Not only am I as cute as your social studies teacher, but I give spankings so spectacular that people who experience them weep with joy.

I'll make a deal with everyone. You keep your cell phone use discreet, and I won't walk around pantsless because I need to stay "connected" to my groin.

So I heard that Fabian got a hiker knocked up, and there was a Snap On something or other involved, a movie was made, oh, and then there was a lawsuit involving a pregnant pomeranian who hadn't signed a waiver.

Anyway, in the end Miss Janet had to sell her daughter because of her legal fees and is now operating a yo-yo shop in New England.

I would like to point out that I could personally get this thread up to about 4 pages just by doing this, without once including a quote involving humungous turtles or cheese (although I might have to include some of the quotes involving accordions, boom boxes, and baby eating).

I praise my commitment to recycling!

Gray Blazer
08-25-2009, 14:06
How about praising your ability to praise almost anything?

Lugnut
08-25-2009, 15:39
Jester you are truly a wonder. I know I've always wondered about you and I'm sure many others have also. :banana

Jester2000
08-25-2009, 16:21
How about praising your ability to praise almost anything?

Not to mention my ability to out-stupid just about anybody.

emerald
08-25-2009, 16:56
I know Emerald! Fortunately, there's a solution . . .

Thanks for the help. It just might get me in the proper frame of mind.

You know, you need to find someone willing to pay you to sit at a computer terminal all day and give the appearance of work. Of course, WhiteBlaze would be little more than The Jester Show.

I'm afraid I'd do little more at least on my own time than fail to keep up.:o Still, it would be fun trying and I might learn a few things.

I praise my commitment to recycling!

Me too. It's how I spend my days and earn my keep.

Jester2000
08-25-2009, 17:09
. . .I'm afraid I'd do little more at least on my own time than fail to keep up.:o Still, it would be fun trying and I might learn a few things. . .

I think we all know that I am nothing if not a passer-on (and/or fabricator) of excellent information. You might learn something like this:

Nothing can protect you from the chipmunks if they decide it's your day to die.

Other than that, it's pretty safe.

or this:

The Springer Mountain Pool is for paying customers only.

. . .or even cooking tips, like this from 1/20/07:

"The secret to the eggs is love. But not a lot of love, or they taste too salty."

I praise my helpfulness.

emerald
08-25-2009, 17:13
Reduce, reuse, recycle refuse! Why dig a new hole, when an unused groundhog burrow will do?:)

wakapak
08-25-2009, 17:33
It is important to note that my 2,000th post is the occasion on which we are praising me, but not neccessarily the notable accomplishment for which we are praising me.

wakapak, we could, instead, say that you are not overdue, but "on hiker time." I understand completely. I was born three weeks late, and someone like Jack would say something about how that has informed my behavior as a houseguest ever since.

I praise myself for my ability to empathize with wakapak without going off-topic by praising her.

oh yeah, i forgot about "hiker time". quite possibly because my life is always on "hiker time" so to me, it's "real time" nevertheless though, it's truly "hiker time" to everyone else around me. it can make for some confusing times, fun times, but confusing ones. :D

I praise you for your ability to praise others without going off topic.

BobTheBuilder
08-25-2009, 17:43
Why 2K? (this message was too short, which says something, I think)

johnnybgood
08-25-2009, 18:10
Why 2K? (this message was too short, which says something, I think)
Because the praising of oneself knows no boundaries.:)

Jester2000
08-26-2009, 11:47
I cut cheese in your honor.

Are you an ambidextrous self praiser, or do you favor one over the other?

In this case, and in this case only, "praising myself" is not being used as a euphemism.

And I know what mudhead is trying to do with his first sentence -- trying to get me off track by introducing one of my favorite subjects on whiteblaze, my love of cheese. But I will not allow myself to go off-topic.

I praise my single-minded devotion to the topic of this thread.

Pacific Tortuga
08-26-2009, 12:10
[quote=mudhead;883665]I cut - THE - cheese in your honor
Is this what you meant to say ?

Is there a place, other than your account, we can donate for your bust in the AT Museum ?

mudhead
08-26-2009, 14:16
No, I had some Swiss. Warm and greasy.

I am impressed with your focus. Quite praise worthy.

I will now have some Colby/Jack in your honor.

I do not mean this as a left handed compliment.

Praise on. Don't be shy.

johnnybgood
08-26-2009, 16:54
No, I had some Swiss. Warm and greasy.

I am impressed with your focus. Quite praise worthy.

I will now have some Colby/Jack in your honor.

I do not mean this as a left handed compliment.

Praise on. Don't be shy.
Ahh yes.... digression on Whiteblaze is truely a thing of beauty.

cowboy nichols
08-26-2009, 17:07
Laughter realy is the best medicine ====SO praise to you ----I needed the laugh!!!!

Jester2000
08-26-2009, 17:48
Laughter realy is the best medicine ====SO praise to you ----I needed the laugh!!!!

Though to praise others on this thread was not my intent, I praise Cowboy Nichols for youthful vigor, and hope that, at age 74, nothing important was ruptured during the laughter.

Buzz_Lightfoot
08-27-2009, 11:08
Though to praise others on this thread was not my intent, I praise Cowboy Nichols for youthful vigor, and hope that, at age 74, nothing important was ruptured during the laughter.

Hey, what about praising ME? After all, it was *I* who exposed:

* The truth about thru-hiker canibalism.
* The Outrage of a hiker rescued for FREE!
* The secret fact that non-hikers ask hikers dumb questions.
* The secret ultra-heavy hiker underground.
* The near attack by a bear footprint.
* Showed hikers how to tell if they are a thru-hiker.

Without my exposure of these facts, at great personal risk, no one would have ever known.

All praise ME! (Or at least give a wave if you see me on the trail.)

Marta
08-27-2009, 12:53
Hey, what about praising ME? After all, it was *I* who exposed:

* The truth about thru-hiker canibalism.
* The Outrage of a hiker rescued for FREE!
* The secret fact that non-hikers ask hikers dumb questions.
* The secret ultra-heavy hiker underground.
* The near attack by a bear footprint.
* Showed hikers how to tell if they are a thru-hiker.

Without my exposure of these facts, at great personal risk, no one would have ever known.

All praise ME! (Or at least give a wave if you see me on the trail.)

I guess you need to start your own thread!

Jester2000
08-27-2009, 13:37
I guess you need to start your own thread!

Yes, Marta is correct here -- there is a time and place for almost everything, and though Buzz's love of exposing things may be laudable, depending on whether or not there are children around at the time, this is neither the time nor place for praise of Buzz. No matter how much he may deserve it.

Praising Buzz confuses the issue at hand and keeps people from recognizing my own accomplishments.

Was it not I who set an unrecognized and still unchallenged speed record on the AT?

It might not be particularly important to note this, but the ATC doesn't recognize, compile, or keep records for speed. But that didn't stop me from hiking the entire trail in four days, over a long weekend in June of 2002. I hiked 23 hours a day at a little over than 23 miles an hour. It was exhilarating. I saw many things that other hikers never saw and felt things no other hiker felt. I passed straight through a pony in Grayson Highlands. I smelled pain. I heard colors. I removed one of my own kidneys to get lighter. I bounced it forward to Hanover and put it back in. I base jumped off the Knife Edge and landed on the roof of the strip club in Millinocket.

It was quite a hike.

Am I not the starter of great trail traditions?

And with the move to Glencliff a new tradition was born: the annual "Rubbing of the Missile."

Am I not a steward and protector of the trail?

Just got my copy of Appalachian Trailway News and must say that I'm disappointed in their choice of cover. It appears to be a photo of a freakishly massive turtle. Don't the editors of ATN realize that people might misconstrue this cover to mean that it's acceptable to ride huge mutant turtles on the trail, or use them as pack animals?

This trail is designed for HUMAN traffic. It can't take the erosion and (I'd imagine) enormous droppings that unnaturally enlarged turtles would create.

News to the ATN editors: it's a footpath. If you want to encourage people to ride genetically altered monster reptiles, start a magazine about a different trail, 'cause it ain't happening on the AT.

Have I not guided others in correct behavior?

Jester's Shelter Etiquette Rules
(to be posted in every shelter on the AT)

1) Upon arriving at a shelter, ask politely if there is room in the shelter. When the person inside informs you that you are at the privy, excuse yourself and find the shelter. Then firmly plant your flag and announce, "I hereby claim this shelter for Spain!"

2) If you need to change your clothes in the shelter, announce that you are about to do so. This allows some to avert their eyes, and others to charge up the flashes on their cameras. Inviting others to get naked with you is considered polite and classy.

3) All softball played inside the shelter must be slow pitch only.

4) If you absolutely must ingest illegal drugs, do so while wearing a full indian war bonnet, and claim that it is for sacramental purposes only.

5)Walking on the sleeping deck in boots is only permitted if said boots have clear heels filled with goldfish.

6)Only one tuba solo per evening.

7)Building a fire inside the shelter is only permitted if
a)it is very cold
b)the fuel is all deadfall
c)you are as stupid and insane as a syphilitic donkey

8) No couscous.

9) Nine PM is considered hiker midnight. After this time, the only songs that can be sung aloud are "The Humpty Dance," "Baby Got Back," and "Desperado." (New Jersey only)

10) If you insist on bringing him with you, you must be understanding of the fact that sooner or later someone is going to try to eat your dog.

Is my dedication to the living arts not apparent?

No, but we did do a full stage production of "Grease" at No Business Knob Shelter. Lone Wolf was Sandy.

And, I would like to note, am I not one of the only people who can get away with saying that kind of thing about Lone Wolf?

It was, I am, I am, I have, it is, and I am, as long as he's not standing right next to me when I say it.

There are so many things about me to praise I'm starting to get dizzy . . .

Elder
08-27-2009, 13:41
:rolleyes: LW Did make the part His!...:eek:

Buzz_Lightfoot
08-27-2009, 14:02
Was it not I who..

Am I not the starter of..

Am I not a steward and protector..

Have I not guided others..

Is my dedication to the living arts..

And, I would like to note, am I not one of the only people who can get away with saying ..

It was, I am, I am, I have, it is, and I am, as long as...

There are so many things about me to praise I'm starting to get dizzy . . .

Sigh, I must conceed. How can one compete with such greatness?

mudhead
08-27-2009, 14:54
Couscous disliker? Put some cheese on it.

I praise you for the motivation to have the best in a month BM this morning.

Must have been a 15 pounder. Was thinking I might need the plunger halfway through, but it was glorious.

Jester2000
08-27-2009, 15:06
Couscous disliker? Put some cheese on it.

I praise you for the motivation to have the best in a month BM this morning.

Must have been a 15 pounder. Was thinking I might need the plunger halfway through, but it was glorious.

It has often been said that my mere presence has a laxative effect on some people.

mudhead
08-27-2009, 15:12
I praise you, oh peristalsis prince.

I must cut cheese.

Disney
08-27-2009, 16:42
Here's some more hitherto unrecognized praise, and backhanded praise at that.

Jester, while reading this thread at work, I almost burst out laughing and almost incurred the wrath of an over zealous boss. This was your fault, as your quotes were the source of the humor. HOWEVER, being around you has also been the source of my near superhuman ability to keep a straight face when faced with ridiculousness, and polite decorum prevented me from laughing at you (not with you).

But Jester, really, in spite of all this praise, I feel compelled to ask a simple question: Where is the warning label for this thread? Surely it is deserving of some form of caution?

And pull some more of those quotes out.

johnnybgood
08-27-2009, 17:08
I feel compelled to finish his last sentence for him; And pull some more of those quotes out of your ***.

Only Jester can deliver poop jokes with buns firmly clinched together.
I praise him to the highest , and crown him master of constipation relief.

Jester2000
08-27-2009, 17:44
And pull some more of those quotes out of your ***.

Sometimes I like to talk about myself, my dreams, my plans. I know that others revere more about me than just my opinions.

Can I be the Paris Hilton of "Trail Celebrities?"

I prefer to think of my ass as "Rubenesque."

And I rarely worry about it, as the only time I have to look at it is right before I stick my head up it.

I am slightly disappointed with my lightweight backpacking mustache.

I'm planning an event for Saturday that will be known, for now, as "The Banana Run." Afterwards it will be known as "Not As Dirty As It Sounded, But Completely Embarrassing Nonetheless."

I will brook no anti-mayo slander in the comment section of this very important poll!

I'll take John Denver gangsta rappin'.

According to a stipulation in the settlement, I am not at liberty to say what happened to or with the female baboon.

No way in hell am I walking in this crap farther than the Dunkin' Donuts.

How did you know I smoke through my butt?

Even though I don't really fit the description, I totally want to be referred to as the alpha-donkey.

Well, maybe. But I think the destruction of the park is a small price to pay for me to be able to keep my freak flag flying without having to register it.

Jack Tarlin
08-27-2009, 19:21
I seem to remember an old quote attributed to JFK; he was entertaining like 50 Nobel Prize winners and he said that he was witnessing the greatest collection of talent and knowledge to ever appear at the White House since Thomas Jefferson dined alone.

Well personally, I think some of the best dialogue and commentary on this Website is when Jester is offering pithy quotes and talking to himself.

Of course, when we walk up to a trail shelter and discovering him sitting there alone doing this, well then we sorta become concerned.

sheepdog
08-27-2009, 19:29
congratulations

I am only posting so I can have one post closer to 2000.

Jester2000
08-30-2009, 15:15
. . .Well personally, I think some of the best dialogue and commentary on this Website is when Jester is offering pithy quotes and talking to himself. . .

I've been told that some whiteblaze people highly praise the posts in which I appear to be confused.

You shoot your 9mm up your wazoo?!?

Ha! Silicon is used to produce silicone, and also Silly Putty. The major difference appears to be that if a woman presses her fake boobs on the Sunday Comics, not much happens.

My God, man. You ate 20 Zulus per day? That can't be good for you.

It's 4700ci and when fully loaded it only weighs 30 lbs.? Does "fully loaded" mean "full?" What do you have in there? A partially inflated woman made of silnylon??

Where are these "highest bidders" I always hear about, and how can I get in touch with them? For, you know, some whoring.

Richard Simmons has done the Seven Summits.

I can get someone to kiss my ass in a car? Do I have to buy them a drive-thru dinner first?

Are you kidding? The woods are littered with accordion players. Why do you think you hardly ever see any in towns?

What's a baby stone? If it's a kidney stone the size of a baby, I'd say that's harder to pass.

It's not specifically for marmots, but I have a hammer that works pretty well.

You put pampers on your ankles?

Man, I gotta get me a $250 DVD. It would have to be the best DVD ever. I would loan that thing to no one.

Was just going over my user CP and saw this:

"Please contact the Administrator if your date of birth has changed."

How's THAT work?

Do we need a thread about this? How many bears are whiteblaze members? Regardless, I'm sure they feel pretty safe without any advice from us.

For a second I thought "groin deep" was the name of a body of water. "I forded Groin Deep! It was incredibly dangerous!"

I praise my dedication to keeping this thread alive.

Canada Goose
08-30-2009, 20:54
Who is this guy???

Canada Goose
08-30-2009, 21:01
In the spirit of this most excellent thread, I praise you for your supreme talent in avoiding those guys dressed in white that are out there searching for you 24/7. They're following your trail of cheese :D

Jester2000
08-30-2009, 22:32
In the spirit of this most excellent thread, I praise you for your supreme talent in avoiding those guys dressed in white that are out there searching for you 24/7. They're following your trail of cheese :D

Here my good friend Canada Goose makes an allusion to the famous "Trail of Cheese," part of a sad period in American history wherein a small, confused portion of the Choctaw Nation, while in the process of being forceably relocated, got completely lost, took a hard right, and ended up in Vermont in 1831.

They found Vermont easier to spell than Mississippi, and so decided to stay, moving into a number of two-bedroom apartments on the outskirts of Burlington where they were often mistaken for hippies.

To this day, if you run across a Vermonter and say to yourself, "he's like an Abenaki, only louder," you've probably just met an ancestor of a survivor of "The Trail of Cheese."

I praise my knowledge of history. Wait. Maybe I did that already.

emerald
08-30-2009, 22:40

One cannot praise one's knowledge of history too much.

Jack Tarlin
08-30-2009, 23:20
Wow.

And all this time, I thought I was the resident expert here on American History, especially the earlier episodes of our National story.

After all, I lived thru most of them. :D

Back in the day I loved correcting Wookie or The Weasel or some other resident Whiteblaze sage about ancient American history, and I took great delight in pointing out their frequent hilarious errors; in Weasel's case I figured it had to do with his advanced age; in Wookie's, I suspect it had more to do with several years of unfortunate exposure to members of the American Federation of Teachers and the works of Howard Zinn. But I enjoyed my dialogues with those guys, just as more recently I enjoy correcting folks like Rickb when he mucks up modern history, including modern Trail history. Whoops. I should explain that I usually correct his errors thru private correspondence to spare him assorted grief, tho he typically finds these corrections "unwelcome" and drops hints that he might wish to share our conversations publicly, which of course, is entirely his prerogative. When folks wanna show off their shortcomings in public like this (like the occasional besotted field runners at Fenway Park) they usually get themselves arrested, but hell, it's his ballgame.

But I digress.

Up til now, I was somehow ignorant of the magnificent "Tale of Cheese" story, but having witnessed his authentic Gettysburg Tour (which lasted only a bit longer than the battle in question) I'll be the last person to dispute Jester on matters historical. There are indeed certain aspects of his story that raise an eyebrow and make me question his fact-checking (for starters, decent 2-bedrooms on the outskirts of Burlington?? Show me.) but we'll let this one go.

My thanks to Jester. Up til now, all I could tell you about 1831 was that Nat Turner's slave revolt took place that year, as well as the first recorded bank robbery in the United States. (In New York City, since I know you were wondering).

But the Trail of Cheese story is much more compelling.

Jack Tarlin
08-30-2009, 23:37
Wow. Silly me. Just thought of something else. Seems that deTocqueville's storied "Democracy in America" was all about his grand tour of America in 1831. I think I had to read that sumbitch for around fifteen different college classes and it didn't get any more interesting with each re-visit, believe me.

Including the Trail of Cheese story sure woulda livened it up a bit, but old Alexis musta been outta the room when they were telling the story. Likewise, calling the book "Great Cheeses of America" instead of telling people about democracy woulda probably have helped mass-market sales, but once again, Jester would know more about such matters as me.

emerald
08-31-2009, 12:07
I see my favorite WhiteBlaze signature has been changed and would like to post a few words in praise of the contribution it made.

Surely this change is a stroke of genius, but I fear the quality of posting here will suffer. People do need to be reminded the plural of anecdote is not data. It is all too often forgotten.

Canada Goose
08-31-2009, 23:22
To this day, if you run across a Vermonter and say to yourself, "he's like an Abenaki, only louder," you've probably just met an ancestor of a survivor of "The Trail of Cheese."

You know, you run the risk of being called " A Flatlander From Away" with this unfortunate sterotype.

Oh, and by the way, just what part did your ancestors have to play in the "Trail of Cheese"? You seem to have a little too much knowledge of this particular historical incident for it to be mere coincidence that you are the acknowledged "expert" on the topic!

Disney
09-02-2009, 16:52
Wow. Silly me. Just thought of something else. Seems that deTocqueville's storied "Democracy in America" was all about his grand tour of America in 1831. I think I had to read that sumbitch for around fifteen different college classes and it didn't get any more interesting with each re-visit, believe me.

Including the Trail of Cheese story sure woulda livened it up a bit, but old Alexis musta been outta the room when they were telling the story. Likewise, calling the book "Great Cheeses of America" instead of telling people about democracy woulda probably have helped mass-market sales, but once again, Jester would know more about such matters as me.

It's also a little known fact that Jester was actually writing a follow up philosophical tome entitled "Democracy in America part 2, The revenge of John Jay." He had embarked upon and nearly completed his own US tour when he stumbled upon the AT community. In an attempt to understand the strangest group he had yet encountered, he resolved to stay and learn our wild wicked ways. He has never left.

What was surely the world's loss became our gain, as his vast knowledge and insight permeated our community like a man in a crowded shelter who has had far too many ramps. Further praise, and justified.