PDA

View Full Version : second thru attempt?

SalParadise
07-22-2004, 22:21
I understand this may be a personal question, but for anyone who attempted a thru-hike and had to drop out for whatever reason, did you ever think about trying it again? And if you tried again, what was your second experience like? Better? Worse? I made it a third of the way (injury) and am debating a second try at it next year. Thanks.

Jack Tarlin
07-22-2004, 22:34
Sal--

My first attempt at a thru-hike was cut short by injury and running outta time.....in Maine. I came back the following year and resumed hiking from where I'd gotten off.

The next year (1997), I went back to Springer again, determined to get all the way thru in one journey. It was a great trip, and in many ways, better than the first.

I absolutely think that coming back is a great idea, and I hope you have a great time when you do.

bearbait2k4
07-22-2004, 23:07
Hey Sal,

It's BearBait. We met earlier this year while you were hiking w/ One Leg.

I was on my 2nd attempt this year, with my first being last year. I had a few injuries and illnesses that kept me from finishing the trip last year, and I just felt unfulfilled when I came back home. So, I started out on a second attempt this year - - intentions on trying another thru-hike, but main focus on at least getting in what I did not finish last year.

Well, I am here at home for the moment, due to an unfortunate incident back home that I could not control. I'm headed back out at the end of the month, and I still hope to complete this trail, but I have learned one thing.

You can plan everything down to the color of your shoe laces, but sometimes life has different plans. The best thing you can possibly do is take what life gives you, and enjoy the hell out of it. This, of course, is not to say don't even bother to make plans. Make your plans. Hope for the best. Take what you get, and run with it.

That being said, I would highly recommend giving it another shot next year. Each trip is profoundly different from the one before. I loved hiking those first steps with a clue as to what I was doing. I enjoyed every second of running into people out on a long distance hike for the first time, with the ability to actually help out if someone asked. I met people this year who I'll always keep in touch with, who have helped me out in ways I can't even explain. Am I going to walk away again, feeling unfullfilled if I do not finish the trail this year? There is that possibility, but there is also the huge lesson that keeps building up about life.

Enjoy it. Don't beat yourself up over what you have not done. Enjoy what you have, and just build upon that.

I say go for it, but good luck with whatever you choose.

RedneckRye
07-22-2004, 23:44
I went out to thru in 98, got up into Shenandoah, and decided that I wasn't enjoying my hike and went home. A few weeks later I realized I had made an error in judgement, so I decided to go back out in 99 to finish. As it got closer to mid-march, I decided to head back to Springer and start over. During the first week I was really worried that I would fall back into not enjoying the hike again, but after the first 100 miles there was NO DOUBT in my mind that I was going to Katahdin. It was only during the July heat in Pennsylvania that I grew the least bit discouraged. 95 degrees and 95% humidity will do that to you. Overall my 99 thru, all 7 months of it was great. I'd say go.

Sleepy the Arab
07-23-2004, 11:15
Like Baltimore Jack, I had to end my first thru about 20 miles from Maine due to time....and other factors (nutrition - it's a longish story). There was never any question in my mind as to whether or not I would return for a second hike. Two years later (in 2001) I was back at Springer and made the entire distance. The second hike was different in many ways, but there really is no comparing the first and second. Each had it ups and downs, and each has a special place in my heart.

swamper53
07-23-2004, 11:26
Sal,

I attempted this year and got to the 501 shelter in PA. Stress fracture put me off. Yes, I am going again ... next year, in March. I believe I woill be able to appreciate it more because I will be better prepared.

Cuppa Joe

Kozmic Zian
07-23-2004, 13:24
Yea.....2d Time Around. I got up on Springer in 2000, for the 'Mellinium Haj', in January, wanting to start early because of all the rumors of 'huge crowds' up the Trail for the Mellinium. Well, it was cold, it was wet, but I had a great time on this 2d Attempt, having completed the 1st one in 1996. Until, until...........
until I hit the ice patch at the junction of the AT and Tricorner Knob Shelter. The guys at the Happy Hiker told me about it before I left Gatlinburg. I saw it, walked very cautiously, stepped on the rocks, whoooosp?>#!>XZ+&***%!!!Slipped on my ass, my leg folded under and I sat on the foot with the pack on, needless to say it stretched the posterior and anterior crucial ligaments out like speggetti noodles.....I didn't want to quit....not in my vocabulary, so I went another 250 miles or so up to Damascus eatin' 8-10 vitamin I's a day. When I got there, I was exhausted from fightin' the damn thing.....I called my wife, she said her mother had fallen and broken her femor, so no choice now....headed home. Lost my 2d Thruy.....but, I got up again after rehabing the knee (took all of a year of hard work, ya' can't let those things just get better by themselves, you'll suffer the rest o' life) and did the rest of VA up to Harpers in 2001. Now, I've been on hold with wife's illness and economic difficulties for 3 years. Would like to go again in '05, if the Good Lord's Willing, and the 'Ageies' don't get me. So if I can drop a few pounds, get my feet and body in shape this fall and winter, I'll be back, in '05 with a brand new show, in which case I hope to meet some of you fine hiking friends on WB and a bunch of new folks too.....Katahdin or Burst......maybe for the last time....I wanna' go out west and see the Rockies and British Columbia, maybe Alaska before I get too old to hike anymore. Thanks for the op to edit this little 'litergy' and to explain to myself why I haven't hiked in several years.KZ@;)

Flash Hand
07-24-2004, 02:37
I understand this may be a personal question, but for anyone who attempted a thru-hike and had to drop out for whatever reason, did you ever think about trying it again? And if you tried again, what was your second experience like? Better? Worse? I made it a third of the way (injury) and am debating a second try at it next year. Thanks.

I got off the trail due to social security chaos, and also I suffer burn senastation in my feet, and some around legs.. wasnt sure if it was stress facture but my leg healed one month after I got left the trail.. it might not be the stress facture.

SO, I already planned to go back on trail on or before March 1, 2005 with other deaf thru hiker, her trail name will be Sweet Clover. She just registered in this white blaze. I hope to see you next year... you are great person with great personality. Keep on hiking!

Flash Hand :jump

Moose2001
07-24-2004, 09:30
Sal ...my story is similar to the others. I stopped in NY on my 2001 hike due to knee problems. Just couldn't get the trail out of my head and the fact I had not finished, drove me crazy. Went back in 2003 and had a great time. I actually think the second trip was better than the first. You know what to expect, you know what trail life is. You can just relax and really enjoy the trip and the journey. By all means, go for it!! Besides....any time on the trail is worth is.

Grampie
07-24-2004, 10:05
Like so many others, my first attempt ended without finishing my journey. I first started in April of 2000. Only got to Fontana Dam and had to leave the trail with a bad stress fracture and very painfull knees. I learned a lot from this failure.
In 2001 I started again. Putting what I learned into use. Less weight, shorter milage days, eating more and resting more often. In 2001 I compleated hiking the AT.
I have met folks who are still trying after 2, 3, or more attempts. If you have the want to complete the AT you can do it. :)

SalParadise
07-24-2004, 12:26
Thank you everybody for your thoughtful responses, and hello Jack, BearBait and Flash Hand. Strange, now it feels just like when I first made the decision to quit my job to hike, only in reverse. I'm leaning toward one more shot at it, I guess I just don't have that sense of conclusion with the Trail yet.

Flash Hand
07-25-2004, 17:42

Sal, just out of curiousity, what injury did you experience before you left AT?

Flash Hand :jump