PDA

View Full Version : How to give thru hiker support in North GA?

chefjason
08-25-2009, 08:14
I am new to WB and to AT hiking, but have gotten serious about both. I have read post and stories of people setting up at specific gaps and shelters to assist thru hikers (and long section hikers) with food, supplies, company.... I live a mere 40 min drive from Neels Gap. So the questions are, where would be a good place to do this? When would be a good time to do it? What would be good things to take/do?

I am really looking for input from former OR current thru hikers. Not to say that those of us who have not done a thru hike do not know what we are doing. Just that experience is the best teacher.

cravj1988
08-25-2009, 08:26
Woody gap at GA60 is a great place. Its just east of Suches, GA. Pick a Saturday morning the first week or two of April. There was a family there in 2007 with a pot of mild chili on a colman stove. Hit the spot! Cheese, vegies, and fruit are also nice. Homeade cake for desert while it lasts. Soda's and beer on ice are great too. Don't forget to take a notebook for the hikers to sign, and a camera. You will have lots of smiles and appreciation to capture.

chefjason
08-25-2009, 08:31
Woody gap at GA60 is a great place. Its just east of Suches, GA. Pick a Saturday morning the first week or two of April. There was a family there in 2007 with a pot of mild chili on a colman stove. Hit the spot! Cheese, vegies, and fruit are also nice. Homeade cake for desert while it lasts. Soda's and beer on ice are great too. Don't forget to take a notebook for the hikers to sign, and a camera. You will have lots of smiles and appreciation to capture.

I have been to Woody several times. Nice pull off's on both sides of 60. Do you know if there are any SOBOers heading our way? If so, when should they be arriving?

Hooch
08-25-2009, 08:39
Hogpen Gap or Unicoi Gap would be good places as well.

chefjason
08-25-2009, 08:42
Hogpen Gap or Unicoi Gap would be good places as well.

Was at Unicoi two weekends ago, didn't see any tables to set up at. Did see some at Dicks. Still wondering about timing though.

Hooch
08-25-2009, 08:53
In Georgia, time it with the kickoff of thru-hike season. Anytime in mid-late March or April should be good.

Pedaling Fool
08-25-2009, 08:57
Thruhikers don't need support, they decided to take on this adventure. Having food/drink lots set up at every crossing takes away from that adventure.

The trail is what needs support, I'd check with GATC on how you could help, i.e. trail maintenance or whatever. That is the best way to support all hikers.

Lone Wolf
08-25-2009, 09:01
they're like bears. they'll expect it at every road and get pissed when it ain't there

Skyline
08-25-2009, 09:19
I've been both the recipient of, and the provider of, "trail magic" many times. Like many here, I suspect. It was good to be on either end of the magic thing. Nobody complained, that's for sure.

BUT . . .

In the past couple years I've come to agree more with the sentiments of John Gault and Lone Wolf above.

There is so much planned "magic" being created by well-meaning folks in Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee that IMHO it sets up an entitlement mindset for a fair percentage of thru-hikers and even section hikers (tho not so much the latter in my experience). This may prove to be unwise when looking at the bigger picture.

The trail itself needs the magic more than the individual hikers do. If everyone gave the same amount of time and money to their local trail maintaining club or to ATC, more would benefit and it would be just as self-satisfying. And those individual hikers would still benefit, too.

chefjason
08-25-2009, 09:30
Thruhikers don't need support, they decided to take on this adventure. Having food/drink lots set up at every crossing takes away from that adventure.

The trail is what needs support, I'd check with GATC on how you could help, i.e. trail maintenance or whatever. That is the best way to support all hikers.

they're like bears. they'll expect it at every road and get pissed when it ain't there

I've been both the recipient of, and the provider of, "trail magic" many times. Like many here, I suspect. It was good to be on either end of the magic thing. Nobody complained, that's for sure.

BUT . . .

In the past couple years I've come to agree more with the sentiments of John Gault and Lone Wolf above.

There is so much planned "magic" being created by well-meaning folks in Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee that IMHO it sets up an entitlement mindset for a fair percentage of thru-hikers and even section hikers (tho not so much the latter in my experience). This may prove to be unwise when looking at the bigger picture.

The trail itself needs the magic more than the individual hikers do. If everyone gave the same amount of time and money to their local trail maintaining club or to ATC, more would benefit and it would be just as self-satisfying. And those individual hikers would still benefit, too.

Thank you all for the input. Didn't see it comin' that way, but that's why I asked!

So, thru hikers, sorry. I am just gonna saw a tree or two and you can make your own damn chili! :D

STICK
08-25-2009, 19:56
So, thru hikers, sorry. I am just gonna saw a tree or two and you can make your own damn chili! :D

Haha....thats kinda funny...

Dances with Mice
08-25-2009, 20:13
I am new to WB and to AT hiking, but have gotten serious about both. I have read post and stories of people setting up at specific gaps and shelters to assist thru hikers (and long section hikers) with food, supplies, company.... I live a mere 40 min drive from Neels Gap. So the questions are, where would be a good place to do this? When would be a good time to do it? What would be good things to take/do?

I am really looking for input from former OR current thru hikers. Not to say that those of us who have not done a thru hike do not know what we are doing. Just that experience is the best teacher.Here's the best way to help thru-hikers. And day hikers. And section hikers. And geo-cachers, Scout troops, bird watchers, save the Bald Cypress tree activists, church choir groups, sightseers, bird watchers, Yoga meditators and I don't know who all.

Join the Georgia Appalachian Trail Club. (http://www.georgia-atclub.org/join.html)

Hope to see you soon.

SawnieRobertson
08-25-2009, 20:14
Speaking of Woody Gap, it follows (going NOBO) quite a hefty climb and distance without a reliable water source. Given, soon after the Justus climb, there will be water a-plenty, but, believe me, you don't need to lavish food on those that come through that-a-way, especially if the weather is warm. Just provide plenty good, fresh, clean water to those who want it. Other stuff is good too, but most who have only been on the trail for a day or two do not have big appetites or need (except for water) by then. Actually, a hefty supply of sensitive skin band-aids, provodine, etc. would be welcomed by those who are suffering. Maybe a foot massage. Maybe a foot soak. And, of course, if someone needs a ride to Suches, especially for medical care, you will truly be an angel to them.--Kinnickinic

Lone Wolf
08-25-2009, 20:16
you wanna feed someone that needs it go to atlanta to a soup kitchen. fat hikers don't need food 20-50 miles into a hike

SawnieRobertson
08-25-2009, 20:17
You know, I think I misidentified Woody Gap. It's been toooo long. I was thinking of the parking area just after Sassafras Mountain.--Kinnickinic

Dances with Mice
08-25-2009, 20:21
You know, I think I misidentified Woody Gap. It's been toooo long. I was thinking of the parking area just after Sassafras Mountain.--KinnickinicCooper Gap.

dreamsoftrails
08-25-2009, 20:29
And, of course, if someone needs a ride to Suches, especially for medical care, you will truly be an angel to them.--Kinnickinic
not much medical care in suches. probably going the other way to dahlonega for that one.

weary
08-25-2009, 22:24

I am really looking for input from former OR current thru hikers. Not to say that those of us who have not done a thru hike do not know what we are doing. Just that experience is the best teacher.
North Georgia is a piece of cake compared with much of the trail. Bring em a cold beer or soda, or whatever, if you insist. These are things that everyone appreciates. But otherwise, do whatever and wherever suits your fancy. Essentially trail angels are offering charity to folks with the means to embark on a six months vacation. Remember, as LW says, "it's only walking."

Weary

weary
08-25-2009, 22:31
Hmmm. Just 11 posts shy of 8,000. what shall I do to celebrate. All in favor of just shutting up, say "aye."

Weary

Summit
08-25-2009, 22:39
Dick's Creek Gap is a nice spot for such an endeavor. Give 'em a choice of a cold beer or soda on the spot, and a Snickers bar to save for a celebration of crossing their first state line 8 miles ahead at Bly Gap!

Summit
08-25-2009, 22:41
Hmmm. Just 11 posts shy of 8,000. what shall I do to celebrate. All in favor of just shutting up, say "aye."

WearyAnything but another "in praise of me" thread! Of course with that many posts, it's never too late to start saying something :p :D

chefjason
08-26-2009, 08:48
you wanna feed someone that needs it go to atlanta to a soup kitchen. fat hikers don't need food 20-50 miles into a hike

North Georgia is a piece of cake compared with much of the trail. Bring em a cold beer or soda, or whatever, if you insist. These are things that everyone appreciates. But otherwise, do whatever and wherever suits your fancy. Essentially trail angels are offering charity to folks with the means to embark on a six months vacation. Remember, as LW says, "it's only walking."

Weary

Dick's Creek Gap is a nice spot for such an endeavor. Give 'em a choice of a cold beer or soda on the spot, and a Snickers bar to save for a celebration of crossing their first state line 8 miles ahead at Bly Gap!

Again, thanks to all for the input, but I am more refering to the SOBO folks that will be strolling into my neck of the woods in the next few weeks. Cause them folks WILL be tired. As for the beer, I am sorry but I do not drink nor will I enable others to do so. I will gladly provide SWEET TEA (hahahaha), sodas, food and other goodies and/or supplies that are needed. So what I am most looking for is a time when some of them might be at a certian Gap. Don't care which.

shoe
08-26-2009, 16:26
I think it will most likely be more than a few weeks before the SOBOS get this way.
And there are few of them than NOBOs
You might sit out all day and no one hikes by or you could get lucky

Lyle
08-26-2009, 17:15
Thank you all for the input. Didn't see it comin' that way, but that's why I asked!

I tend to agree, especially at the beginning of the trail - lots of help there already.

Helping out with volunteer efforts is a great way to support both the trail and the hikers. They do appreciate a clear, well-maintained trail for the most part. One caveat, please do your maintenance via an official trail club. Many benefits to going the official route:

1) The club will know what is being done where.
2) You will avoid overstepping bounds that may be in place due to land ownership/agreement issues
3) You will be insured if you happen to be injured while doing the maintenance
4) You will be instructed on what to do and how. There are actually standards for most every aspect of trail maintenance.
5) It's just more fun to do it with others.

Save the "trail magic" to what I consider the original meaning of the term. That being unplanned and unexpected assistance to a hiker with a particular need that you can meet.

Have Fun!!!!

Trailweaver
08-26-2009, 18:51
I agree that joining in on trail maintenance is a very good thing, but. . . we here in the south like to be hospitable, which is what trail angels are trying to do. Please don't criticize them for it. If you don't want their generosity, just pass by and say "hi" - if you do, accept what is offered, thank them for it, and go on. Also, sometimes people are not physically able to do trail maintenance and the way they show appreciation for the trail is doing something nice for someone. I, for one, have seen the time when I would really have appreciated a cold Coke, and I would love to be close enough to the trail to do something for hikers. Yes, they may become habituated, but still, they're soooo cute! ; - )

Skyline
08-27-2009, 09:18
I agree that joining in on trail maintenance is a very good thing, but. . . we here in the south like to be hospitable, which is what trail angels are trying to do. Please don't criticize them for it. If you don't want their generosity, just pass by and say "hi" - if you do, accept what is offered, thank them for it, and go on. Also, sometimes people are not physically able to do trail maintenance and the way they show appreciation for the trail is doing something nice for someone. I, for one, have seen the time when I would really have appreciated a cold Coke, and I would love to be close enough to the trail to do something for hikers. Yes, they may become habituated, but still, they're soooo cute! ; - )

Face it, for some providing organized "trail magic" is a lot more fun than swinging a Pulaski (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulaski_(tool)) all day. Well, for some either can be fun but the TM is sure a lot easier!

Don't you think hikers receiving all manner of free stuff and services—due to the sheer volume of it—creates more than a few hikers who think they are entitled to it all the way to Maine? That causes those so affected to demand free food, free hostels, free shuttles, and more. It is one of the causes for the bad behavior we have seen grow each year by a minority of hikers.

Perhaps a few years of a lot less organized TM will help the trail community return to its former glory.

Now, truly spontaneous unorganized one-on-one "magic" is rarely a bad thing. It happens hiker-to-hiker, townie-to-hiker, even hiker-to-townie. That's actually where the term "magic" has its AT roots.

max patch
08-27-2009, 09:28
When you get down to it, organized trail magic (i.e. feeds) is really for the benefit of the giver, not the recipient.

Lone Wolf
08-27-2009, 09:31
When you get down to it, organized trail magic (i.e. feeds) is really for the benefit of the giver, not the recipient.

yup. bottom line. there's a guy that leaves sodas in a stream up in vermont and he's bolted a register box to a tree so you can sign it and thank him. i wonder if the GMC allowed him to put the box there. or do they even know?

Pedaling Fool
08-27-2009, 09:56
... Please don't criticize them for it. If you don't want their generosity, just pass by and say "hi" - if you do, accept what is offered, thank them for it, and go on. Also, sometimes people are not physically able to do trail maintenance and the way they show appreciation for the trail is doing something nice for someone. I, for one, have seen the time when I would really have appreciated a cold Coke, and I would love to be close enough to the trail to do something for hikers. Yes, they may become habituated, but still, they're soooo cute! ; - )
I do pass up the feed stations -- every time -- without criticizing, I just say, "no thanks" - with a smile and both the other hikers and the providers treat me as if I'm some kind of weirdo and pestering me and asking why I don't stop, yelling wait, wait, wait... as if there's something wrong with me. VERY ANNOYING!

There are other ways to help, besides trail maintenance. Feed stations are counterproductive to helping hikers, but more importantly it WILL hurt the trail in the long term.

TM, really does have the same effect on hikers as feeding the bears. REALLY, IT DOES.

Pony
08-27-2009, 16:58
I hiked Springer to Damascus last year and never recieved any sort of organized trail magic. I was in Damascus sitting outside The Place and a couple from the Baptist Church stopped and talked to me for about a half an hour. They left and ten minutes later stopped back by with a box of ice cream sandwiches and a box of creamsicles. Then, as serious as they could be, asked if that would be enough and offered to go and get more. I was floored by their generosity and kindness. That meant way more to me than someone at a road crossing with hot dogs and cold sodas.

Skyline
08-27-2009, 18:12
I hiked Springer to Damascus last year and never recieved any sort of organized trail magic. I was in Damascus sitting outside The Place and a couple from the Baptist Church stopped and talked to me for about a half an hour. They left and ten minutes later stopped back by with a box of ice cream sandwiches and a box of creamsicles. Then, as serious as they could be, asked if that would be enough and offered to go and get more. I was floored by their generosity and kindness. That meant way more to me than someone at a road crossing with hot dogs and cold sodas.

What dates did you hike Springer > Damascus?

Blissful
08-27-2009, 19:02
My hubby did one for us and hikers at Hog Pen Gap.

Blissful
08-27-2009, 19:22
There are other ways to help, besides trail maintenance. Feed stations are counterproductive to helping hikers, but more importantly it WILL hurt the trail in the long term.

As soon as I saw this thread I knew the bashing would come for someone who just wants to help others. They really should be warned ahead of time.

Anyway, I'm most curious to know why a hiker picnic or feed or whatever is counterproductive and on what grounds will it hurt the trail (assuming you have done one?). We did a picnic in May and it was the greatest time. We found out that there are hurting people hiking that trail - some have suffered tragedy etc. The picnic we provided gave them time to talk and share. We gave hugs to some. And we got to meet some great folks from around the world.

The trail isn't just about the trail but about people. And people out there are hungry for things besides food and walking - like a smile. Knowing someone out there cares. If that's counterproductive to the spirit that is (or what I thought was) the AT and what great damage such things will do, please enlighten me.

Mishap
08-27-2009, 22:17
Im kinda a rook to long distance hiking, so i dont understand how someone giving away a hotdog and a cold beer can be a bad thing. Im planning my thru-hike for '10 now, I am very much looking foward to it, but I realize its going to be hard. How can some one waiting in a gap, pushing me on, and giving to others be a negative thing. I was out on a week long trip, met a man at whitley gap shelter walking his dog carrying extra water for people. How is this a bad thing?

chefjason
08-28-2009, 04:23
As soon as I saw this thread I knew the bashing would come for someone who just wants to help others. They really should be warned ahead of time.

Anyway, I'm most curious to know why a hiker picnic or feed or whatever is counterproductive and on what grounds will it hurt the trail (assuming you have done one?). We did a picnic in May and it was the greatest time. We found out that there are hurting people hiking that trail - some have suffered tragedy etc. The picnic we provided gave them time to talk and share. We gave hugs to some. And we got to meet some great folks from around the world.

The trail isn't just about the trail but about people. And people out there are hungry for things besides food and walking - like a smile. Knowing someone out there cares. If that's counterproductive to the spirit that is (or what I thought was) the AT and what great damage such things will do, please enlighten me.

Well, being the OP, I was a little taken a back at first with the "true hikers" opinions of how this hurts the real nature of a hike and blah blah blah... I have been watching this thread with much curiosity to see how the opinions differ. I have come to one conclusion; I aint gonna ask for blanket opinions again. There are TOO MANY "hike MY hike", "I know best", "do what I do" folks on here. True, I did ask for opinions on WHERE AND WHEN TO DO THIS!!! NOT whether or not I should. My bad for not being more clear. So, for all the opinions, bithcing and mud slinging, thanks. I wil be setting up my "ruin the AT and spoil the hikers" feed/TM when and where I feel like it. If you happen to come by and don't approve, I don't care.

Skyline
08-28-2009, 11:05

I totally "get" what you're saying. And many might agree a single incident of organized "magic" isn't harmful; it's likely a good thing. Being from the same general area as you, I got to hear a little about what a good feed you all put on. At least I think it was your event. Bravo!

But the cumulative affect of free hiker feeds starting as far south as Amicolola and being repeated every few miles up well past Damascus does cause more than a few NOBOs to begin to expect this as they move further north, and some can get real cranky when they are told they have to pay for something they've been getting handed to them for free.

Not just food, but hostel stays, shuttles, etc. More than cranky in some cases--downright rude to other people and even destructive to property. Hikers who will pay for a single motel room and then sneak five others in without paying. Hikers who will trash a hostel, not even offer to clean up, and skip out without paying a dime. Hikers who will render an AYCE buffet or salad bar useless by their unsanitary and sloppy method of feeding at the trough. Hikers who will purposely damage a commode because they couldn't get their way with the owner of a hostel, motel, or restaurant.

If we were discussing truly poor, broke hikers perhaps it would be easy to show more empathy. There are a few who fit that description living from hiker box to hiker box. That's (partially) what hiker boxes are for. But many of these guys (and gals) who want everything for free are from middle class or higher backgrounds and seem to always have enough $$$ for cigarettes, beer, and sometimes other mood-altering substances. Poor priorities, it would seem.

Perhaps you haven't met any of these hikers before. If so, you're lucky. They are a minority of the hikers in any year's class but they are the ones who folks remember most and turn townspeople against all hikers; in more extreme cases cause facilities that used to serve hikers eagerly to stop doing so or close altogether.

Some of us who post here have met thru-hikers who spend a lot of time on cell phones trying to line up the next round of "magic," so as to get a free ride, free food, free laundry, free shower, free place to stay. Having been on the other end of some of these calls, they sound to me like they expect us to thank them for walking the Trail this year and they've already decided what we need to do to show our gratitude. You should hear them when they're told no, or they're given an option not on their agenda (like having to wait longer than 30 minutes for that ride, or suggesting a work-for-stay). A few don't even bother to say goodbye.

Don't want to give an inaccurate impression. The hikers described here are a minority, seemingly growing a bit each year. However, their behavior is more memorable than the majority and makes it tougher for hikers who come along behind them. Most of the hikers we see are fine folks who have better manners.

Some who have been observant over more than a couple years think there is a direct correlation between the proliferation of organized "magic" the past decade or so and the rise in numbers of poorly-behaving hikers.

Giving hugs to hikers or helping one spontaneously who is in real need is of course a good thing. Let's not confuse that with the pre-staged feeds and other pre-planned "magic" that has been increasing each year.

Gray Blazer
08-28-2009, 12:00

I think that is true. I did a feed one time(very different than the regular ones ) and I had the time of my life.

Pics toward the end of my photo gallery.

bloodmountainman
08-28-2009, 12:23

I've tried to do what you are proposing. Give it up! It is neither wanted or appreciated. Just go hiking and enjoy yourself.

Bulldawg
08-28-2009, 13:19
I've tried to do what you are proposing. Give it up! It is neither wanted or appreciated. Just go hiking and enjoy yourself.

Yeah, why in the world would any person in their right mind want to hang around with stinky, rotten, spoiled hikers all day long? What frame of mind must they be in to want to subject themselves to this torture? Take BMM's advice and take a hike yourself. You'll be rewarded 10 times over!

Alligator
08-28-2009, 13:34
Well, being the OP, I was a little taken a back at first with the "true hikers" opinions of how this hurts the real nature of a hike and blah blah blah... I have been watching this thread with much curiosity to see how the opinions differ. I have come to one conclusion; I aint gonna ask for blanket opinions again. There are TOO MANY "hike MY hike", "I know best", "do what I do" folks on here. True, I did ask for opinions on WHERE AND WHEN TO DO THIS!!! NOT whether or not I should. My bad for not being more clear. So, for all the opinions, bithcing and mud slinging, thanks. I wil be setting up my "ruin the AT and spoil the hikers" feed/TM when and where I feel like it. If you happen to come by and don't approve, I don't care.Just so you know, threads in the Straight Forward forum can be closed by the opening poster. So if you feel your question was poorly framed or that you have received the information you want (or don't want;)) you can close it.

Pedaling Fool
08-28-2009, 13:46
Well, being the OP, I was a little taken a back at first with the "true hikers" opinions of how this hurts the real nature of a hike and blah blah blah... I have been watching this thread with much curiosity to see how the opinions differ. I have come to one conclusion; I aint gonna ask for blanket opinions again. There are TOO MANY "hike MY hike", "I know best", "do what I do" folks on here. True, I did ask for opinions on WHERE AND WHEN TO DO THIS!!! NOT whether or not I should. My bad for not being more clear. So, for all the opinions, bithcing and mud slinging, thanks. I wil be setting up my "ruin the AT and spoil the hikers" feed/TM when and where I feel like it. If you happen to come by and don't approve, I don't care.
I didn't think I was coming across with an "I know best" attitude. I was just giving my opinion based on my observations. I did not have this opinion when I first started hiking, I've even been the receipient of TM, but later came to be sickened by them.

Skyline pretty much gave the same reason I would have, so I have nothing else to say about this.

max patch
08-28-2009, 14:11
Even the ATC, who never takes a solid position on controversial topics -- (can't piss anyone off, gotta keep the donations coming in) -- is against organized feeds:

"...Unintended consequences of trail magic

As trail magic has changed in size and scope, some unintended consequences have occurred. Some of the “magic” enjoyed by thru-hikers later ends up as unsightly trash to be cleaned up and carried out by volunteer trail maintainers or other hikers. Food left unattended creates the possibility for harming or habituating wildlife. Eventually, a hiker may come to expect trail magic or may encounter it so frequently that it ceases to be meaningful. And, the plastic cooler or party that is a welcome sight for some, may, for others, detract from the sense of remoteness and self-sufficiency that the Appalachian Trail was created to provide..."

And their conclusion:

"...Better yet, do the ultimate trail magic: Become an A.T. volunteer..."

Bulldawg
08-28-2009, 14:30
And their conclusion:

"...Better yet, do the ultimate trail magic: Become an A.T. volunteer..."

So I can't party on the AT AND help maintain or volunteer time to the trail?

Pony
08-28-2009, 15:29
What dates did you hike Springer > Damascus?

April 24 thru June 1, 2008.

Skyline
08-28-2009, 16:35
April 24 thru June 1, 2008.

That would most likely explain why you didn't experience the preplanned hiker feeds and other stuff Springer > Damascus.

Most of the NOBOs are already through that area by those dates, and with that, the local/regional trail angels kind of go back into hibernation. ;)

Mags
08-28-2009, 17:27
I posted this on another thread. There may or may not be projects on/near the AT, but I call this "cross trail karma." :)

It is good to give back at any time, but like National Trails Day, National Public Lands Day is an excellent day to think of the public lands we all love..and give back to them.

Another thread asked what they can do to help hikers...well, here is an excellent way!

Check it out:
http://www.publiclandsday.org/involved/index.htm

Your local open space/park/outdoor group may have events listed that aren't on this site.

Leave a trace! :)

chefjason
08-28-2009, 18:29
Just so you know, threads in the Straight Forward forum can be closed by the opening poster. So if you feel your question was poorly framed or that you have received the information you want (or don't want;)) you can close it.
Did NOT know this. Thanks Gator. You are not quite as bad as folks have made you out to be. :eek: