PDA

View Full Version : Gators or Waterproof Socks

jcramin
08-25-2009, 11:28
I am looking for personal opinions on which is better for backpacking in the rain.

Thank you,
J

sweetpeastu
08-25-2009, 11:57
what sorta shoes do you have? Are you wearing cross trainers or something? If so, I'd say go with something like sealskins socks. I've heard of a lot of sucess with those and plan on using something like that myself, if needed, on my next trip.

If you have boots, however, esp. if they are leather or "waterproof" go for the gators. I know a lot of people like that option b/c if your pants get wet, or water starts running down your legs the gators can prevent the water from trickling down and sliding right down into your socks and eventually wetting your feet.

I have a tendency just to get wet no matter what I do so...I always carry extra wool socks in a dry bag in my pack and I've found that (unless it rains continually for like days) the heat from my feet will dry my shoes...well sometimes and if not, at least I have warm dry socks for in camp :)

Best of luck!

Summit
08-25-2009, 12:41
I ditched waterproof leather boots many years ago and love how well my feet get along in non-waterproof trail runners. That renders gators pretty worthless since most of the water is coming in through the sides of the shoes. Therefore, waterproof socks is the way to go and I have been very pleased with my Sealskinz. At the end of a downpour day, my feet may be a little clammy from perspiration, but certainly better off than without the Sealskinz or with waterproof boots that have filled up with water.

The only gators that I think would be useful now-a-days are the ankle top variety, when used for keeping out scree where that is a problem. Don't need them on the Southern AT.

Pedaling Fool
08-25-2009, 12:49
I wear gators, but they are not waterproof; I don't think most are, I only wear them to keep debris out of my shoe.

Never worn WP socks, but I know one thing...your feet will still get wet, if from nothing else: sweat.

Getting wet feet is all a part of hiking and separating oneself from society -- it's part of the adventure and getting back to nature...That's why nature sucks and I can only stand it for so long.:D

Spokes
08-25-2009, 12:49
I tried both on this years thru hike and came to prefer my ankle high gators (OR brand with velcro closures) not for water protection but to keep debris out of my boots. Sealskinz are nice but when your feet sweat inside them you end up having wet pruney feet anyway. Besides Sealskinz are bear to dry out once they get wet.

As far as boot "waterproofing" went, my experience was Goretex or any other proprietary waterproofing barrier only lasted about 6 days total. After that water would find a pathway inside the boot everytime. I learned to choose comfort first.

garlic08
08-25-2009, 13:35
I tried gaiters for a few years and gave them up. Too finicky for me and just not worth it, though many swear by them.

I have a pair of Sealskinz, but only use them on shorter winter day hikes, and not backpacking.

I'm with the others above, just get wet while you're walking and if you do it right you'll be warm and dry when you sleep.

Dogwood
08-25-2009, 13:43
Depends on what you are trying to achieve in the hiking conditions in which you plan on hiking. Are you seeking to just keep your feet dry or warm and dry? Do you mind clammy or sweaty feet? Are you hiking in rain below, say 45*, or are you hiking in summer rain when the temps are warmer. If you are seeking to simply keep your feet dry in long duration downpours I have had the best success with WP shoes, preferably mid cuts but low cuts can also work, with waterproof or highly water resistant gaiters(I like REI's Schoeller fabric gaiters) over my shoes but under rainpants. My rain jacket is long enough to cover over the waistline of the rainpants. The cuffs of my rain jacket sleeves are either elastic or, most preferably, adjustable with velcro tabs to keep water from running down the inside of my arms into my rainpants. Same idea with a hat or hood that is either seperate or attached to the rain jacket. What I'm getting at is that if you are serious about staying dry, and that includes your feet, in heavy rain you need to look at how all your clothing and gear works together. And, still, you will probably have to make some adjustments as you learn what works for you in keeping you dry. I tend to opt for WP socks when it's colder because the styles of WP socks that I own(Sealskinz and NPR) also provide additional insulation. I will also go to a WP sock that also insulates if I'm hiking in water like in canyons or crossing many early season cold streams or sometimes when hiking in deep snow in cold conditions. If you do decide to go the WP sock route be advised that they usually take up additional volume inside your shoe so plan accordingly.

jcramin
08-25-2009, 14:18
Most backpacking trips I wear New Balance or North Face crosstrainer/runner type shoes. I do have water proof boots but I rarely use them now that I have found runners work so well.

J

Kerosene
08-25-2009, 15:39
At the end of a downpour day, my feet may be a little clammy from perspiration, but certainly better off than without the Sealskinz or with waterproof boots that have filled up with water.A little clammy? I poured a couple of fluid ounces of sweat from each of my Sealskinz after using them for a day. Unless the temperature is below 40F, I don't see the value.

Wags
08-25-2009, 16:56
i agree w/ kerosene. i choose option 3. neither.

Summit
08-25-2009, 17:04
A little clammy? I poured a good a couple of fluid ounces of sweat from each of my Sealskinz after using them for a day. Unless the temperature is below 40F, I don't see the value.I guess some people sweat more in certain places than others. My experience wasn't that bad.

sweetpeastu
08-25-2009, 17:13
This may be a dumb question, but can you wear liner socks under the sealskinz? Would it help with the sweat issue?

Wags
08-25-2009, 17:20
i've always thought that waterproof or goretex socks were for extreme (read - below 0) cold or for in a sleeping bag. maybe i'm wrong

BrianLe
08-25-2009, 17:22
Gators or waterproof socks in rain? Neither one for me, normally. For a short hike, maybe waterproof (goretex) socks, but then I'd add gaitors too as these can wet-out from the top down otherwise if there's much brush on the trail.
I assume you have a non-waterproof breathable shoe.

There was quite a long thread on backpackinglight.com about this recently, with the consensus I believe that it's better to just let your feet get wet, and have them dry at night.

This is very much a "equipment relates to style" issue.

emerald
08-25-2009, 17:22
If you are serious about staying dry, and that includes your feet, in heavy rain you need to look at how all your clothing and gear works together.

Or just have a diving duck give your outfit a good once-over.;)

Summit
08-25-2009, 18:11
This may be a dumb question, but can you wear liner socks under the sealskinz? Would it help with the sweat issue?Yes, I wear a liner sock inside mine, usually merino wool.

Tinker
08-25-2009, 22:00
I've used both gaiters and Sealskinz. Sealskinz keep your feet a little cleaner, especially if you're hiking in fabric shoes or boots (since I was wearing sandals I appreciated them that much more). Gaiters and Sealskinz are somewhat hot and your feet get clammy.
Gore-tex in footwear makes it hotter than it would be otherwise. It's waterproof for a while then leaks, being both hot and wet.
Right now I prefer to wear Sealskinz and trail runners or sandals in cool weather and just get wet, dirty socks in the summer.

max patch
08-25-2009, 22:22
neither...

ChinMusic
08-25-2009, 22:36
Neither....just get wet. For multi-day hikes just get wet.

I wear trail runners with standard merino wool socks. I don't fret about getting wet. I will dry out soon with my combination. Once boots get wet they STAY wet for a LONG time.

I DO use Hydropel on my feet which makes my feet "feel" dry even when shoes/socks are soaked. Hydropel is one of the best products I have found.

MikenSalem
08-25-2009, 23:16
My shoes seem to put every rock and twig on the trail in them so I use gators.
I like the idea of seal skins w liners but it won't keep the sticks out. I'm thinking I'm stuck with 11" boots in the winter or the super combo of gators, sealskins and wool socks. Layered feet?? might work...

Gaiter
08-26-2009, 00:28
mini gaiters are the best for keeping your feet, socks and inside of your boots clean......

Jayboflavin04
08-26-2009, 11:23
I will second that the low-cut non waterproof gaiters are nice. They also keep your shoelaces clean. Can anyone recommend a style for trail runners. I am using the OR Rocky Mt lows and dont think they willl work on trail runners. I am wearing a montrail mid cut shoe right now.

superman
08-26-2009, 13:07
neither...

:-?neither:)

ChinMusic
08-26-2009, 13:21
I will second that the low-cut non waterproof gaiters are nice. They also keep your shoelaces clean.
Keep your shoelaces clean????? Is this really a concern?

Summit
08-26-2009, 18:10
Keep your shoelaces clean????? Is this really a concern?You never know when you might come up on a photographer from GQ Magazine! :)

Dogwood
08-26-2009, 18:17
This may be a dumb question, but can you wear liner socks under the sealskinz? Would it help with the sweat issue?

I suppose you could try liner socks under the Sealskinz. Another thing I've done in colder weather or when my feet were going to be exposed to wet cold conditions for a long duration is to use an insulating Lycra neoprene-like sock made by Mysterious that I've seen sold at some REIs in the paddling area. They are normally worn under a wet suit but they aren't bulky or high volume. You could use the Mysterious socks under the sealskinz or in conjunction with wool socks for warmth? I think wanting to keep my feet dry is largely contingent on the temp and for how long I can expect my feet to stay wet. I've had hypothermia in my hands and feet before so they now seem to get colder easier and stay that way longer. If it's summer and I'm thru-hiking I don't mind so much hiking with wet feet if my shoes dry overnight. However, for me, this gets old if I wind up hiking day after day with wet feet or in wet shoes. Hiking with wet feet or in wet shoes/clothing day after day leads to problems, even in summer, for me. I prefer not to do it. Others don't seem to mind as much.

I also second the use of Hydropel. It can help with blister prevention and staying somewhat comfortable when hiking with wet/sweaty feet.

Dogwood
08-26-2009, 18:27
The liner socks under the Sealskinz will help to some small degree with the sweaty feet issue but what I think will eventually happen is the liner socks will be overwhelmed with the sweat. The moisture has no where to eventually go so it's going to build up inside the Sealskinz. Different scenario if you use liner socks under, say, wool socks inside a breathable non WP shoe. In either case stopping, taking your shoes and socks off, and letting your feet breathe/dry could significantly help.