PDA

View Full Version : SOBO Smokies end of September

Sour
08-25-2009, 12:51
Planning to section hike from Hot Springs to Deep Gap / Standing Indian starting on September 19th or so. I have my reservations for GSMNP shelters but had a few questions-

1) How crowded are the shelters at the end of September? Should I take a tent as backup? I was planning on taking a small tarp for emergencies.

b - How annoying are the bugs?

3) What's the experienced weather in the park this time of year? I'd like to pack the minimum clothes, but don't want to wind up frozen naked (that would be an awful sight!)

Thanks
Sour

Ashepabst
08-25-2009, 14:29
Sept lows for the higher elevs average in the low 40s, but get into the 20s.

Pedaling Fool
08-25-2009, 14:48
Planning to section hike from Hot Springs to Deep Gap / Standing Indian starting on September 19th or so. I have my reservations for GSMNP shelters but had a few questions-

1) How crowded are the shelters at the end of September? Should I take a tent as backup? I was planning on taking a small tarp for emergencies.

b - How annoying are the bugs?

3) What's the experienced weather in the park this time of year? I'd like to pack the minimum clothes, but don't want to wind up frozen naked (that would be an awful sight!)

Thanks
Sour
Always have a shelter when on a hike. I wouldn't hike with a tarp, wind can easily blow rain inside it; I don't consider it shelter.

Since you have reservations for GSMNP you will not need a tent, theoretically, but you never know when/if you'll need to stop (NOW) and set up shelter. Any thru-hikers (SOBOs) you meet at shelters in GSMNP will have to set up a tent if the shelter is full (provided you, and otheres, have a reservation for that shelter). This is only in GSMNP, all other shelters on the AT are first-come-first-served.

gearfreak
08-25-2009, 15:02
See you in passing. I'm hiking Fontana Dam to Davenport Gap starting on 9/19. :cool:

TIDE-HSV
08-26-2009, 00:28
The bugs seem to be down. I was on my third GSMNP hike week before last and I was really surprised. We had gotten eaten up the prior two hike by the large gnats which bite and leave a big bleeding wound. This last hike - almost nothing. I hope it will be the same in late Sept., since I plan to be coming back...

bigcranky
08-26-2009, 13:17
Gotta watch out for those tarp things -- they've only been in use since the dawn of human civilization.:-?

Yes, bring a shelter. For me, a 6x10 tarp is plenty, especially in the Smokies when I have a shelter reservation.

Sour
08-28-2009, 13:06
I tend to trade off my tarptent for a tarp, depending on shelter availability and bugs. I can handle swatting away bugs while I am hiking, I just hate to wake up with bites all over me. (The only other reason I even carry a tent is for temp).

So, given that I have my shelter reservations all made SOBO beginning Sep 22nd, how likely is it that I will be crowded out?

Sour

bigcranky
08-28-2009, 13:21
That's the middle of the week. I would say, unlikely. But you can call the backcountry reservation office and they will tell you how many spots are left in each shelter. If there are no spots left, it might increase the chance of an overfull shelter.

maxpatch67
08-28-2009, 13:35
There will hardly be any bugs bothering you. I definitely would not bother carrying the weight of bug spray. There won't be any mosquitoes.

Sour
09-02-2009, 12:14
Thanks for all the great responses. Looking forward to the Smokies.

Sour