PDA

View Full Version : Speed attempt May 2010-Nobo

galilee prophet
08-25-2009, 15:35
Flying from Israel to the US appx 4-5-09 and planning to get started at 7-5-09/Nobo.
Planning for anything less than 70 days.
Training real hard already and getting the right equipment as well.
Question:
Wherever is written "Outfitter"...do they offer:
Lyophilized food
first aid like "real skin or second skin" for battered toes
athletes powders like gels,carbohydrates and whey protein

or should I pack from back home over there?

Thanks for the info

galilee prophet
08-25-2009, 15:36
Sorry, I meant 2010 and not 2009

rhjanes
08-25-2009, 15:43
If you have specific brands, then you probably should mail-drop them.
Unsupported? Then mail drop.
Supported? Maybe your support team would have time to shop about. REI and Cabella's, Dicks are large "outfitters" that are chains and would carry close to the same brands from one store to the next. But there are independent outfitters that might or might not have what you want.
Hence you might want to mail drop.
Also, shop about online and see if you can find them here and save international shipping also.

CowHead
08-27-2009, 13:20
if it's special for you mail drops would be the key sometimes the only thing you have for blister toes and such is good old duct tape

thelowend
03-01-2010, 04:22
hahaha, galilee prophet....hubris much? besta luck tho..

Mags
03-01-2010, 13:30
Do you have a website or online journal by anychance?

As mentioned in another thread, one of my closest friends is from Israel in addition to being an avid hiker and would love to follow your progress. :)

SamXp
05-26-2010, 08:58
Do you have a website or online journal by anychance?

As mentioned in another thread, one of my closest friends is from Israel in addition to being an avid hiker and would love to follow your progress. :)
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=308189

Mags
05-26-2010, 10:25
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=308189

Much obliged!

The Solemates
05-26-2010, 10:45
as far as i can tell from his journal, he is only averaging about 27 miles a day. better step it up!

jersey joe
05-26-2010, 10:46
Nice, I didn't realize he was posting on trailjournals.com

hellomolly
05-26-2010, 11:43
A journal entry said he is only eating 1,500 cals a day.... :eek: how is that possible?

jersey joe
05-26-2010, 11:47
A journal entry said he is only eating 1,500 cals a day.... :eek: how is that possible?
He is working off his fat stores...each pound is roughly 3600 calories. This can only be sustained for so long though.

Tin Man
05-26-2010, 11:54

maybe he is using the metric system... :)

JJJ
05-26-2010, 11:54
That was my question molly, but he said had felt that much hunger while he's hiking.
That may change as his fat reserve dwindles.
Hopefully he'll make use of some of the little stores along the way like Adkins and Bland to fill the gap.
So far I think he's just been eating out of his pack unless the food is right on the trail.

SamXp
06-01-2010, 09:53
Sounds like he's still not eating..

Today again, I walked all day on an empty stomach. I ran out of food yesterday afternoon. Dinner for example consisted of 2 liters of Ginger Ale- at least it had some sugar- from a bottle someone left for thru-hikers, I guess. Today I had a tiny bag of peanuts, four carbohydrate gels and two salt bags. I know that I do not carry enough food for what I do and what I need to consume Everyday I burn about 7,000 calories and on average eat about 2,000. I can see it on myself. Everything is falling off me. Food is my major problem. I do not dare like the others to go into towns close to the trail because I do not have a clue where I am when I am hiking and I am sure I will miss my way back to the trail. In addition, I admit that I have had some bad luck, at Nantahala; I arrived after everything was closed, at Fontana Dam, I arrived on that one day the kiosk was closed and at Pearisburg the market that I knew to be close to the trail, has gone out of business! Tomorrow I will stock up at the grocery store nearby after I pick up my package from the local outfitter. He was not open today so it did not matter that I came in late.

Blissful
06-01-2010, 14:32
Good way to wreck your body.

SamXp
06-01-2010, 16:56
Good way to wreck your body.
Hope he starts taking it seriously. He's not much past 1/3 of the way.

hellomolly
06-02-2010, 12:40

I think he will have to start taking it seriously. I doubt his body will tolerate it for much longer...

A-Train
06-02-2010, 14:37
Wish him luck and it seems he is enjoying his trip, which is the most important thing.

3 Things that stuck out at me for someone trying to break "a record":

His pack seems very heavy, around 40lbs and he mentioned carrying a GPS.

Not eating nearly enough food

Has never hiked the AT before. You will lose time resupplying and being familiar with trail.

It's unfortunate some internet coward has resorted to anti-semitic comments on his guestbook. Sad stuff

max patch
06-02-2010, 14:44

He IS "taking it seriously". While it looks very doubtful that he will set the record -- hes averaging close to 30 miles per day and is going to need to average close to 40 miles a day the rest of way to do so -- he is moving at the best of his ability. Sad that some feel the need to criticize. I applaud his effort.

SamXp
06-02-2010, 15:57
He IS "taking it seriously". While it looks very doubtful that he will set the record -- hes averaging close to 30 miles per day and is going to need to average close to 40 miles a day the rest of way to do so -- he is moving at the best of his ability. Sad that some feel the need to criticize. I applaud his effort.I'm worried that he's going to injure himself. I think its a given that the record is out of reach this time around, but if he finishes anything close to record time, it will be a tremendous accomplishment and will set him up for another strong attempt.

Art Cloutman
06-02-2010, 22:17
For some reason my internet provider MetroCast will not recognize the server for trailjounals.com. What to do? I've contacted MetroCast, they say it's trailjournals.com fault. But obviously I cannot reach trailjournals because my provider will not recognize them.

Wrangler88
06-03-2010, 04:09
For some reason my internet provider MetroCast will not recognize the server for trailjounals.com. What to do? I've contacted MetroCast, they say it's trailjournals.com fault. But obviously I cannot reach trailjournals because my provider will not recognize them.

He's also posting his journal at http://www.trailplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3115

You might give that a shot and see if it works.

MaxM
06-03-2010, 17:25
OK, I feel the need to post something in this thread...just want to say that I summited Springer at 8:30 AM on May 6 and "Galilee Man" had already written in an entry dated May 7. So unless he's unlocked the secret to time travel...this dude is cheating.

wcgornto
06-03-2010, 17:31
OK, I feel the need to post something in this thread...just want to say that I summited Springer at 8:30 AM on May 6 and "Galilee Man" had already written in an entry dated May 7. So unless he's unlocked the secret to time travel...this dude is cheating.

He spent quite a bit of time at the Springer Mountain shelter and actually set out at about midnight on the 8th. His comments on the thread linked above show the timing.

max patch
06-03-2010, 17:40

You need to know the facts before you call someone a cheater.

Galilee Man flew from Israel and spent the a nite at AFSP. He then hiked slowly to Springer and rested (the dude had jet lag) a couple days before starting out Thurs nite/Fri morn at midnite.

Wrangler88
06-04-2010, 02:09
You need to know the facts before you call someone a cheater.

Galilee Man flew from Israel and spent the a nite at AFSP. He then hiked slowly to Springer and rested (the dude had jet lag) a couple days before starting out Thurs nite/Fri morn at midnite.

I agree about knowing the facts.

Also, jet lag ain't nothing to mess around with. I felt terrible after flying to Maine from Puerto Rico. And then sleeping in an airport. And then riding a bus and a taxi cab for hours. I was all sorts of messed up. And then came Katahdin the next day .... eeeeeeeh ....

fiddlehead
06-04-2010, 06:24
They way I read it, MaxM is saying that Galilee man wrote an entry and dated it May 7, and somehow it got into the register before 8:30 on the morning of May 6th.
Jet lag or not, rested or not, it certainly appears that he has the date wrong. (or MaxM does)
Possibly the cheating comment is uncalled for but, one would assume the man has some dates mixed up at least. Easy enough to happen when crossing many time zones (when I fly from New York to Bangkok, I arrive before I leave sometimes)

MaxM
06-04-2010, 10:48
Well, whenever he started, all I know is that when I was at the summit of Springer (May 6, 8:30 AM) he had already written in the book and dated it May 7.

Lone Wolf
06-04-2010, 10:53
Well, whenever he started, all I know is that when I was at the summit of Springer (May 6, 8:30 AM) he had already written in the book and dated it May 7.

don't matter at this point. he's behind schedule and probably won't be breakin' any records

jersey joe
07-09-2010, 14:24
Galilee Man is now in Maine and shooting for a 66 day unsupported thru hike...not a record...but pretty impressive anyway!

SamXp
07-09-2010, 15:36
I was wondering how Carlos was doing. Hasn't updated trailjournals in a week.

TD55
07-09-2010, 16:50

In about 15 minutes it will be tomorrow in Israel. It will still be today on the AT for another 7 hours. So in 15 minutes it will be July 10 while it is still July 9 here.

Jeff
07-09-2010, 16:55
Quite an accomplishment for a hiker who had never set foot on the AT.

When Ward Leonard set the record he had already hiked the AT several times.

Feral Bill
07-09-2010, 17:38
In about 15 minutes it will be tomorrow in Israel. It will still be today on the AT for another 7 hours. So in 15 minutes it will be July 10 while it is still July 9 here.

Maybe he didn't change the date/time on his watch yet. Easy enough to do.

Lone Wolf
07-09-2010, 18:54
Quite an accomplishment for a hiker who had never set foot on the AT.

When Ward Leonard set the record he had already hiked the AT several times.

ward leonard coulda done it the first time he stepped on the AT. no problem

FritztheCat
07-09-2010, 19:15
Even though he won't break the record, I give him kudos for his attempt. 66 days is impressive as hell. I'll be happy if I finish mine next year in 180. :)

MoodyBluer
07-11-2010, 21:29
ward leonard coulda done it the first time he stepped on the AT. no problem

Clairvoyant, are we? How could you possibly know this even if you know the man...

Lone Wolf
07-11-2010, 21:38
Clairvoyant, are we? How could you possibly know this even if you know the man...

cuz i know him

excuses
07-11-2010, 22:02
He was having trouble with his shoes when I met him on the 8th of June at Ed Garvey Shelter, Maryland. He was worried he wasn't moving fast enough then. Guess he did better than he thought.

SamXp
07-12-2010, 08:08
27.4 miles per day is impressive, no? Especially for an unsupported first timer from another country!

rgarling
07-12-2010, 10:49
Link to his last trail journal entry: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=319765

Speer Carrier
07-12-2010, 12:31
I'm impressed with the guy. A friend of mine ran into him on June 19th near Bear Mountain. At that time my friend said he was moving very slowly, and complaining of food poisoning from a deli sandwich that he had eaten. He, Carlos, was suffering from diarrhea, and was completely out of water. He still managed to get ahead of my friend. Later in the day, when my friend was ascending Bear Mountain, he again encountered Carlos who had gotten turned around, and was walking in the wrong direction. My friend got him turned around, and again Carlos left my friend in the dust. I guess my point here is that in spite of the problems Carlos seem to be having, he came pretty close to a record. I'm in that camp that believes that if he had a better understanding of the trail and its conditions, he might have been better prepared and had a real shot at a record. He did tell my friend that the AT was much tougher that he had anticipated.

SamXp
07-26-2010, 11:45
Interesting read on his followup posts:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=322013

jersey joe
07-26-2010, 13:06
Interesting read on his followup posts:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=322013

That was an interesting read. Thanks for posting the link. He had quite a journey!

trailangelmary
07-26-2010, 13:11
So, with what I read on his journal it appears he broke the record with the start date and end date he entered but the total mileage is not the entire trail?

Tin Man
07-26-2010, 14:44
So, with what I read on his journal it appears he broke the record with the start date and end date he entered but the total mileage is not the entire trail?

trailjournals calculates the miles based on where you say you are. he could have done every mile, but did not fill out every entry in trailjournals completely.

rgarling
07-26-2010, 15:00

He did not break the record, but his time was very fast. The fastest time I have seen reported was for Ward Leonard in 1991. I think someone might have reported his time as 60.5 days (rather than the 61 days I found). Some have mentioned that Ward missed some of the trail. Anyhow, there isn't really an official 'best' time, and Galilee Man's time is among the fastest.

The fastest record trip, with no support system was 61 days in 1991, by Ward Leonard. Average speed while moving was reported as 2.8 miles per hour.

max patch
07-26-2010, 17:37

Didn't break the record, but an unsupported hike in 65 days is quite an achievement. Nice guy, too.

Nean
07-26-2010, 17:37
He did not break the record, but his time was very fast. The fastest time I have seen reported was for Ward Leonard in 1991. I think someone might have reported his time as 60.5 days (rather than the 61 days I found). Some have mentioned that Ward missed some of the trail. Anyhow, there isn't really an official 'best' time, and Galilee Man's time is among the fastest.

The fastest record trip, with no support system was 61 days in 1991, by Ward Leonard. Average speed while moving was reported as 2.8 miles per hour.

I've been around for awhile and have known Ward for awhile and though he has issues I've never heard anyone say he missed trail.:confused:

Jack Tarlin
07-26-2010, 19:41
I have not seen or talked to Mr. Leonard in many years, but, like Nean, I also have no recollection of him skipping parts of the Trail, nor do I recall anyone ever saying this about him. Ward certainly his critics and his nay-sayers, but of all the things said about him (usually by people who'd never met him, spoken with him, or hiked with him), I can't ever recall anyone accusing him of intentionally skipping pieces of the Trail.

In truth, I think he enjoyed the Trail too much to even consider this.

CrumbSnatcher
07-26-2010, 21:58
27.4 miles per day is impressive, no? Especially for an unsupported first timer from another country!i have Gman (carlos)at 33.52 MPD (2,179 miles divided by 65 days)i couldn't find much trail info once he hit N.H. and ME. seems he quit posting? seemed strange to me i thought he avg. 32 mpd up til day 57 or 58 then the last 8 days 40 mpd on some of the tougher trail. NEAN WHERE THE HELL IS MY BEER? just kidding i had a friend bring me some yuengling from Pittsburgh, but it was amber lager,not as good as the premium lager. i'm on a Hamms kick right now! love it, ITS AS REFRESHING AS THE SKY BLUE WATERS! :) not sold in Nebraska either, i have to drive to MO.

rgarling
07-27-2010, 10:40
Regarding Ward Leonard's unsupported speed record.

I am not one to quibble about whether someone hiked the ENTIRE trail, regardless of intention. However, some are, and have reported on this 'problem' with the 'record'. (sorry for all the quotes, but imo there is no real problem or real record). The person who reported this anomaly, went on to say: "I do respect that he was probably the most physically-gifted backpacker on the AT duirng his time." So congratulations to Ward on his multiple, high-speed thru hikes accomplished that year.

Also, congratulations on an incredible performance by Galilee man!

weary
07-27-2010, 11:43
Regarding Ward Leonard's unsupported speed record.

I am not one to quibble about whether someone hiked the ENTIRE trail, regardless of intention. However, some are, and have reported on this 'problem' with the 'record'. (sorry for all the quotes, but imo there is no real problem or real record). The person who reported this anomaly, went on to say: "I do respect that he was probably the most physically-gifted backpacker on the AT duirng his time." So congratulations to Ward on his multiple, high-speed thru hikes accomplished that year.

Also, congratulations on an incredible performance by Galilee man!
Having met Ward on the trail and chatted with him briefly, I have no doubt that he is scrupulously honest about whatever records he may claim.

Aside from his incredible physical effort, Galilee man's journal entry is the best report on an AT record effort that I have read.

jersey joe
07-27-2010, 11:53
Aside from his incredible physical effort, Galilee man's journal entry is the best report on an AT record effort that I have read.
I have to agree with this. Galilee man made frequent updates(almost daily) from the trail using wireless technology. It really was cool to read a real time first hand account.

slow
07-28-2010, 23:35
Ward may have been on MEDS at the time,so he dont count?

weary
07-29-2010, 10:08
Ward may have been on MEDS at the time,so he dont count?
No body's record "counts." No official body keeps track. No one other than the hiker knows how many short cuts were taken. What meds may have been taken.

As far as I'm concerned every claimed record is as good as any. And equally meaningless to my mind. Trails are delightful places to enjoy for days, weeks, even months and years. They have too many variables to make good race courses.

Speed hikers essentially are challenging themselves to see how fast they can make it between two famous mountains under conditions that are never the same twice.

I applaud those that attempt that challenge, And equally applaud those that meander down the trail, exploring the overlooks, getting to know the history, the wild plants and creatures, and the people of the lands through which the trail passes.

Weary

dcmidnight
07-29-2010, 11:14
"If I could say something to all Americans, you have an incredibly great country, cherish it!!!! I regret somewhat that I did not stop a little longer at some of the more breathtaking locations."

Thought this was the best line from the whole thing...

jersey joe
07-29-2010, 11:53
No body's record "counts." No official body keeps track. No one other than the hiker knows how many short cuts were taken. What meds may have been taken.

As far as I'm concerned every claimed record is as good as any. And equally meaningless to my mind. Trails are delightful places to enjoy for days, weeks, even months and years. They have too many variables to make good race courses.

Weary
There are many in the hiking community that keep track of speed and other records...while not official, this works for me.

Migrating Bird
07-29-2010, 14:52
This may not be the guy but:

The night of July 1st, I (SOBO) stayed at Galehead Hut some 14 miles north of Rt 3 along with two NOBO’s, Alpine and another. About the time the 3 guests were finished eating dinner and ready for bed, a very cold, wet Israeli ultra lite speed hiker came in. He was cleary not dressed for the occasion – he was drenched and did not have any warm clothes. The temp was in the low 40’s, rain, wind, etc. During the night I got up to use the bathroom and accidently dropped my hat on the floor. I was the third one up in the morning, just as speed hiker guy was leaving. I looked for my hat and could not find it, finally I asked Alpine if he saw a grey hat. Alpine said yea, a grey OR pull over, I put it on the table over…… speed hiker guy must have taken it". Alpine said "he asked speed hiker guy if it was his hat and he said no so I put it on the table". I was bumming because I had to hike up Garfield, Laffeyette and Franconia Ridge with out my hat (although I could make due with my Packa and rain shell if need be). Alpine left about 20 min later and I wished him a great ride north. About 45 min later, in walks Alpine without his pack but with my hat. Alpine ran the guy down (or up as there is a 2500 foot climb northbound). Alpine said it pissed him off that somebody would take someone elses stuff and he runs marathons back home. Alpine went on to say, when he asked him why he took the hat speed hiker guy said "because I needed one". Alpine went on to say, that if he is at all competitive, he hated to get caught and it will really piss him off when I catch him again and pass him today. I was blown away that Alpine would run up a mountain with a full pack and run down only to run up again. I thanked Alpine profusely and he ran out the door – no photo, address or anything.

If this is the same guy I am not impressed at all!