PDA

View Full Version : Is your dog addicted to (h-i-k-i-n-g)?

Pony
08-25-2009, 21:31
My dog absolutely freaks out if she sees me doing anything to my pack. When talking about "it" we spell it out in a hushed voice (h-i-k-i-n-g). Whenever we stop walking she climbs all over my pack in search of her favorite (t-r-e-a-t) beef jerky.

Does this sound familiar?:D

Phreak
08-25-2009, 21:33
Yep! My dogs can't get enough of being on the trail. As soon as they see any of my gear being brought up from the basement, they simply flip out and go beserk!

Tinker
08-25-2009, 21:34
Now would be a bad time to find out she can R-E-A-D! :D

elmotoots
08-25-2009, 21:51
We took our 6 month Chocolate lab on her first day hikes about a month ago. One day a storm moved in so i told my wife we should turn around and go back to truck. The dog seemed to pout and kind of refused to turn back, but after a few secounds she picked back up but was walking slowly. After about a half mile the thunder passed and we turned around and started back to our destination. The dog started jumping straight up off the ground with all four paws and then running ahead with the leash in her mouth. I told my wife I thought she got mad because we had tried to stop our hike,. My wife laughed and said no way. So I stopped and turned around again, guess what she did the same dang thing, and then got happy when I turned back in right direction.
I still find it hard to believe but i think she liked being out there

Going to find out for sure here in the next couple of days, heading back to the shining rock area

sasquatch2014
08-25-2009, 22:04
Hank still likes the trail. I did kind of find his limits on this last hike after 76 days with the first part being really wet and muddy. We did about 100 miles and then as we got ready to head out of camp that day he had to keep being called up the trail. It was time for a zero and after both of us just lounging around in the sun on the porch of a great cabin, Spruce Peak up in VT, we were ready to go again the next day but alas time ran out.

The other day I was getting the gear closet organized and picked up his pack. I have never seen the back half and the front half of him move in different directions so quickly. I thought he was going to wiggle out of his skin. I think he is ready to go again.

Pony
08-25-2009, 22:23
We took our 6 month Chocolate lab on her first day hikes about a month ago. One day a storm moved in so i told my wife we should turn around and go back to truck. The dog seemed to pout and kind of refused to turn back, but after a few secounds she picked back up but was walking slowly. After about a half mile the thunder passed and we turned around and started back to our destination. The dog started jumping straight up off the ground with all four paws and then running ahead with the leash in her mouth. I told my wife I thought she got mad because we had tried to stop our hike,. My wife laughed and said no way. So I stopped and turned around again, guess what she did the same dang thing, and then got happy when I turned back in right direction.
I still find it hard to believe but i think she liked being out there

Going to find out for sure here in the next couple of days, heading back to the shining rock area

The other day we made it to our destination and had about 5 minutes to set up camp before a storm came in. As soon as everything was in the tent it started to pour. I dropped the leash while setting up camp and soon realized that I wasn't sure where the dog went. I looked back at the tent and she was sitting inside staring at me as if to say " hey idiot, it's dry in here." That made me laugh despite the thunder, lightning and rain.:)

tiptoe
08-26-2009, 12:45
My dog gets excited when he sees water bottles and a small pack, but sad and anxious when he sees a bigger pack and stuff spread all over the floor. The first usually means a day hike where he can strut his stuff; the second means someone is leaving without him.

Cannibal
08-26-2009, 12:54
Our dog turns around and runs the other way to find a place to hide until we come to our senses. I swear, it's the only dog I've ever met that loathes camping. Hiking just means she has to walk to be miserable. Strange dang dog.

kanga
08-26-2009, 12:59
all i have to say is "ready to go hiking" and they go absolutely ape****

Jack Tarlin
08-26-2009, 18:40
Kanga is correct. Miss Janet's dog Fabyan Hensley who has hiked with me many a mile, absolutely, (there's no question in my mind) , knows and recognizes the words "hike" or "hiking" and if you say them in front of him, Fabyan goes nuts.

There are absolutely dogs who love to go hiking and they will let you know how much they enjoy this whenever you mention the word in front of them.

Having recently spent time with a lot of dogs, there's no question about it......they understand more than you might think.

Chaco Taco
08-26-2009, 19:05
Kanga is correct. Miss Janet's dog Fabyan Hensley who has hiked with me many a mile, absolutely, (there's no question in my mind) , knows and recognizes the words "hike" or "hiking" and if you say them in front of him, Fabyan goes nuts.

There are absolutely dogs who love to go hiking and they will let you know how much they enjoy this whenever you mention the word in front of them.

Having recently spent time with a lot of dogs, there's no question about it......they understand more than you might think.

Yes we took Fabian up to Franklin and freaked when we said lets go hiking.

Have met good dogs and bad dogs. I plan on getting a dog that will be addicted to hiking but will be part of our minimalist hiking

warraghiyagey
08-26-2009, 19:11
Kanga is correct. . .

For posterity. . . .

Seeker
08-26-2009, 19:26
we've not had him long enough to recognize hiking gear, but he goes nuts when he sees me carrying the canoe rack out to the car, and he's only been canoeing 3 times... smart dog.

warraghiyagey
08-26-2009, 20:04
we've not had him long enough to recognize hiking gear, but he goes nuts when he sees me carrying the canoe rack out to the car, and he's only been canoeing 3 times... smart dog.

He's probly thinking, 'nice rack' . . . .

Gaiter
08-26-2009, 22:23
coco gets soo excited about seeing her backpack, she won't calm down untill its on her or we are in the car going to hike..

mudhead
08-27-2009, 05:25

You may find it easier if you put his bed or one piece of his stuff that goes with you each time by the car. It will register to him that he is going.

I don't know why they ever have any question, but somehow that worked for me.

Rockhound
08-27-2009, 08:21
My dog absolutely freaks out if she sees me doing anything to my pack. When talking about "it" we spell it out in a hushed voice (h-i-k-i-n-g). Whenever we stop walking she climbs all over my pack in search of her favorite (t-r-e-a-t) beef jerky.

Does this sound familiar?:D
Psychologically I think this is referred to as transference. You are denying the fact that it is you who is addicted to hiking, not your dog. He is simply reacting to the chemical changes in your body each time you are preparing to hike. Admitting you have a problem is the first step.

kanga
08-27-2009, 08:22
Psychologically I think this is referred to as transference. You are denying the fact that it is you who is addicted to hiking, not your dog. He is simply reacting to the chemical changes in your body each time you are preparing to hike. Admitting you have a problem is the first step.

worst....

post...

ever...

Rockhound
08-27-2009, 08:25
If you review my posts I am sure you will find many far worse than that one.

kanga
08-27-2009, 08:27
ok, let me go look. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-taunt003.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Alligator
08-27-2009, 10:36
This article (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32349079/ns/health-pet_health/) about dogs was in the news recently and it discusses the range of words they recognize.

berninbush
08-27-2009, 12:24
Thanks Alligator, I was thinking of that article (or one like it) but was too lazy to look it back up. When I first saw it, I sent my sister an email with a link saying "My dog is as smart as your two year old." :)

Truthfully, my dog seems more attuned to visual clues and tone of voice than actual words. She definitely recognizes and gets excited when I start pulling gear out. (She also recognizes and gets excited about animals on television, which is somewhat unusual for dogs in my experience.) But other dogs I've known do definitely recognize and respond to particular words, necessitating spelling on the part of their owners. ;) I've even heard of dogs that learn to recognize the spelled-out word!

unclehud
09-08-2009, 23:11
My little 14-pound sweetheart recognizes my boots, my trail runners, the daypack, and both of the big backpacks. If any of them come out of the closet, she goes beserk.

She earned her Georgia AT thru-hiker patch last summer, on a week-long, non-stop trek from Bly Gap to Springer. Chased bears each of the first four days, but just sat there and stared at the bunny rabbit on day four. Guess she figured she'd protect us from dangerous bears and live in peace with the bunny.

superman
09-09-2009, 08:59
Winter saved me from taking the wrong trail many times. I used to spell words when talked about going hiking until she started correcting my spelling. Her pack was always hung on the dining room chair closest to her bed (as it still is). She made sure I had all her stuff in her pack before we left to hike. When she was young I trained her with my command voice...actually she was trained with verbal, hand and dog whistle commands. As she aged, she retained that training but I stopped using it because all I had to do was talk to her. I think she had a bigger vocabulary than me.:-?

Rouen
09-09-2009, 19:03
Winter saved me from taking the wrong trail many times. I used to spell words when talked about going hiking until she started correcting my spelling. Her pack was always hung on the dining room chair closest to her bed (as it still is). She made sure I had all her stuff in her pack before we left to hike. When she was young I trained her with my command voice...actually she was trained with verbal, hand and dog whistle commands. As she aged, she retained that training but I stopped using it because all I had to do was talk to her. I think she had a bigger vocabulary than me.:-?

this is o/t but theres a book you may enjoy, if you haven't already, called the art of racing in the rain, the way you wrote your paragraph reminded me of the narration in the book. :rolleyes: