PDA

View Full Version : anyone thru hike with metal in their legs????

theb1440
08-25-2009, 22:14
i was in a motorcycle accident about 2 years ago where i broke my femur completely in half (laying on the road and my foot was next to my head) needless to say i had a titanium rod and 6 screws put in. since the accident even now i still have aches and occasional pains in my leg (which im told from my doctor are normal) the reason im writing this is because up untill a few days ago i figured i would be able to hike the trail expecting some pain but not unlike the normal pain i face with it on a daily basis ( i work a very physical job) i just took a trip out to boise idaho and when i got off the plane my leg was somewhat sore but nothing out of the ordinary... then the next 2 days i was in very bad pain to the point where i was limping pretty bad.

i think the altitude is what did it, but my concern is will i have the same problem with the altitude of the hike?? am i going to be in terrible pain to the point where i cant hike? is there anyone that has thru hiked that has metal in their leg/foot that have any input on this? thanks

D-wreck
08-26-2009, 01:35
Ouch! I had a motorcycle accident in 2004, broke my Tibia and Fibula. I have a titanium rod in my Tibia with assorted screws to match. I never had any problems with my leg on my 2008 AT SOBO or my half-hearted stab at the PCT this year (~1500 miles).

My shoulder hurt like hell every mile (dislocation from the same accident), but my leg was fine.

Wonder
08-26-2009, 10:51
It wasen't a thru hike, but I did over 1000 with 2 bolts and 6 tendon anchors in my left ankle. Only major problem I had was with the anchors. Whenever my ankle tendons would swell.....which they're bound to do....I had to stop until the swelling went down as to not invite a tear.
Best of luck to you on your hike and continued recovery!

Colter
08-26-2009, 11:53
I've still got a titanium rod and screws in my femur and have done 3 thru-hikes since. Perhaps I'm lucky but the metal itself hasn't caused me much discomfort.

boarstone
08-27-2009, 10:45
Call your Dr./surgeon about your concerns...

theb1440
08-28-2009, 16:32
thanks for the input everyone. i talked to my doctor about it and he doesnt seem to think it will be too much of a problem. i know im going to do the hike anyway, reguardless of pain levels...i guess i just want to be prepared.

slowandlow
08-29-2009, 10:19
I have a plate and two screws in my ankle from a dirtbike racing accident 8 years ago. It is sometimes painful in daily life, but it is not any more painful on the trail. Because the broken ankle changed the way I walk on my left foot, my shoes wear heavily on the outside edge of the sole on that foot, and are worn out before the other shoe is.

loki_racer
03-30-2010, 01:17
Figured I would chime in here. I had a motorcycle wreck (broke all three leg bones, torn meniscus disc, completely torn PCL and damaged ACL......oh and broken ribs that punctured my lung) back in 2004. They put a plate, a staple and some screws in my leg. After a couple years I started to notice pain in the bones where the metal was.

Went to the doc and he recommended that I have the stuff removed. I had the metal removed in Feb. 2008. It's never felt this good since the wreck. I do wear a Bledsoe Thruster brace, but it's mainly for the meniscus and helps shift my weight on to the good part of the joint.

It might be worth it to talk with the doc about getting the metal removed.