PDA

View Full Version : Sham-wow!

Time Traveler
08-25-2009, 22:57
Has anyone ever used one of these things, in general? They look real neat on the infomercial, and if they can really do what that obnoxious man claims it would be like a thru-hiking miracle. You could dry your clothes, tent, your self probably 50% faster.. hmmmmmm...............

Wise Old Owl
08-25-2009, 23:01
it is just a thicker Shammi, any auto parts store.

Rain Man
08-25-2009, 23:05
I have used one on some of my section hikes. They are fine. Light and absorbent, as advertised.

Rain:sunMan

Dances with Mice
08-25-2009, 23:17
Sham-wow! is constructed of rayon fibers with polypropylene binder.

A cotton washcloth would work just as well, probably better.

JoshStover
08-25-2009, 23:27
Sham-wow! is constructed of rayon fibers with polypropylene binder.

A cotton washcloth would work just as well, probably better.

The cotton washcloth wont hold the moisture in as well as the shamwow. They do work and I keep on that I cut in half in my pack.

Panzer1
08-25-2009, 23:32
I've used them around the house and like them. I now include one in my pack but have not used it on the trail yet.
I like it because it matches the color of my tent. :D:D:D

Panzer

Pacific Tortuga
08-25-2009, 23:33
AKA: Skam-Wow. Use it, don't use it, no big wonder towel. In my book.

Time Traveler
08-25-2009, 23:42
Bummer, I was convinced it was magic.

mkmangold
08-26-2009, 00:59
Bummer, I was convinced it was magic.

It IS magic: watch your money disappear...

Alli
08-26-2009, 01:07
It IS magic: watch your money disappear...

It's actually cheaper to buy this than a packtowl as you get 4 or 8 of them for $20 whilst packtowls are $8+ each.

hoz
08-26-2009, 06:43
The ShamWow (and Paktowel) is a sham. Go to yourlocal Big Lots store or some other bargain basement type outlet. Look in the automotive dept. I buy mine 3 to a pack FOR 2 BUCKS!

yaduck9
08-26-2009, 09:26
It's actually cheaper to buy this than a packtowl as you get 4 or 8 of them for $20 whilst packtowls are $8+ each.

But you don't get the requisite eco friendly, hiking approved, Corporate Logo.:sun

sweetpeastu
08-26-2009, 09:30
The ShamWow (and Paktowel) is a sham. Go to yourlocal Big Lots store or some other bargain basement type outlet. Look in the automotive dept. I buy mine 3 to a pack FOR 2 BUCKS!

Have any of ya tried using something like this to get moisture off your tent rainfly before packing it after a rainstorm or heavy dew? I'm looking for something that is lightweight, sucks up the moisture well and rings out/dries well.

I tried some sort of camp towel that was cheap that I found at the gear store and it didn't work well at all. Was wondering if the automotive cloths or the shamwow work better?

Pedaling Fool
08-26-2009, 09:31
I have used one on some of my section hikes. They are fine. Light and absorbent, as advertised.

Rain:sunMan

But can they soak up soda through a carpet without pressure applied, as advertised:sun

Dances with Mice
08-26-2009, 10:59
Have any of ya tried using something like this to get moisture off your tent rainfly before packing it after a rainstorm or heavy dew? I'm looking for something that is lightweight, sucks up the moisture well and rings out/dries well.

I tried some sort of camp towel that was cheap that I found at the gear store and it didn't work well at all. Was wondering if the automotive cloths or the shamwow work better?A sponge works best.

ashevillain
08-26-2009, 11:15
I bought an MSR packtowel on clearance (still paid too much, but I wanted to see what it was like for myself).

This thing is super absorbant and dries super fast. Only problem with it that I've found is that I don't like it very much for wiping sweat off of my face. I think it actually pulls *too much* moisture out of my skin and sometimes will leave my face "chapped." Never had that happen with any other type of towel. Otherwise perfect.

unclemjm
08-26-2009, 11:59
For years I have used a similar product called "The Absorber" Here's a link although I have picked them up at Target or WalMart for about $10 bucks

http://www.autobarn.net/absydrch27x1.html

It's all I take with me for a towel on any trip. It worked great on a road trip with a bunch of teens in a van. We each had one so no wet smelly towels in close quarters.

Lyle
08-26-2009, 12:17

I tried some sort of camp towel that was cheap that I found at the gear store and it didn't work well at all. Was wondering if the automotive cloths or the shamwow work better?

Try wetting your camp towel first. Sounds counter-productive, but a totally dry sham doesn't work nearly as well as a damp one. Wet the towel, wring it out, then use it on the tent. Much more absorbent now.

brooklynkayak
08-26-2009, 12:24
As stated, it is just a synthetic chamois. The ones at the auto supply are about the same.
They are quite absorbent for their size. My sister in law got some Sham-wows for free and gave us a couple. We cut them in half and used them on a couple hikes.

We went back to using bandannas. The bandanna may not soak up as much water, but is lighter and servers more purposes.

Chaco Taco
08-26-2009, 18:41
Used a small section of it last year and it works well for wiping the inside of the tent in the am. Very happy with it. Packs well and when you ring it out it stays really dry.

Cabin Fever
08-26-2009, 19:40
The next question is, have you used a Slap Chop?

Linguini, Martini, Bikini!

Wags
08-26-2009, 23:18
lol. that guy did almost convince me to buy the slap chop just b/c of those 3 words

JoshStover
08-26-2009, 23:31
I am pleased with my sham-wow. Have any of you guys tried the towels that you can get from the dollar store? They have these towles that are all smashed down to about the size of a silver dollar and then wrapped in plastic. They normally have dinosaurs or other kiddy type stuff on them but they take up hardly any room in your pack, weigh next to nothing and you can get them 3 for a dollar.

Snowleopard
08-27-2009, 12:01
I got some off brand shamwows, I think $6 for a bundle of them at Ocean State Job Lot.
They seem to work. Wiped rain off my tent, used as a camp towel, washcloth, etc. They seem more absorbent than the usual MSR type pack towel, and a lot cheaper.

Farr Away
08-27-2009, 12:37

I use the autodry towels. Find them in the automotive section in a plastic cylinder that looks vaguely like a slightly flattened tennis ball can. About $6?

Cut it in half. Only take half, or use the two halves for different purposes. When they dry out, they're like a piece of cardboard. Wet one (counterintuitive), wring, & dry anything. I usually carry mine damp in a ziploc. Throw them in the washing machine to clean.

I don't remember who the poster was, but someone on WB posted about an experiment where he rolled his wet shirt in an autodry towel to remove as much water as possible; weighed it; dried it in the dryer, and weighed it again. I think the difference was a fraction of an ounce. Pretty impressive.

Jonnycat
08-27-2009, 19:31
After my last section hike, I thought about buying one for wiping off the inside of my tarp tent shelter (the cotton warshcloth wasn't as efficient as I would have liked it to have been).

Also would replace said washcloth which I use as a towel after I go swimming.

The cheapest place I found them for sale was on Ebay, BTW (I read some horror stories about the exhorbitant shipping and handling charges when you order from the TV ad).

dloome
08-28-2009, 00:16
On a somewhat related note, the Sham-Wow guy was arrested recently...

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0327092sham1.html

Wow.

Old Grouse
08-28-2009, 07:56
But can they soak up soda through a carpet without pressure applied, as advertised:sun

"Are you getting this, camera guy?"

David@whiteblaze
08-29-2009, 21:29
But can they soak up soda through a carpet without pressure applied, as advertised:sun If you will notice, in the commercial, there is a camera change, puddle dissappears... see link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtScSNi_TQI

Hooch
08-29-2009, 21:45
ShamWow or ScamNow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm03Dgu_yXA)?

Wise Old Owl
08-29-2009, 22:17
wait, guys with absorbent towels? perhaps some soap ....

Hey maybe you can bathe on the AT now!

David@whiteblaze
08-30-2009, 14:37
ShamWow or ScamNow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm03Dgu_yXA)?
I thought it was 'scamWOW'.

David@whiteblaze
08-30-2009, 14:38
correction, it is actually quite a sham to try to sell a product this way, making it deserve the title "SHAMwow

rp1790
08-30-2009, 17:36
I am pleased with my sham-wow. Have any of you guys tried the towels that you can get from the dollar store? They have these towles that are all smashed down to about the size of a silver dollar and then wrapped in plastic. They normally have dinosaurs or other kiddy type stuff on them but they take up hardly any room in your pack, weigh next to nothing and you can get them 3 for a dollar.

I've tried these and are what I carry in my pack now. They're about the lightest thing I came across. Also tried a couple of different pack towels but found the cheapy super compressed towels the best.