PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hiking with dreadlocks

Time Traveler
08-25-2009, 23:02
When I hiked the A.T. with my dreadies they were just miserable in the rainy cold weather, I fell alseep with sopping hair all've the time. Now they're molding...

Next year I'm hiking the PCT and I cant see doing that again, I'm looking for ideas to keep them dry. NOT cut them off, that is not an option.

Any fellow dread heads have any tricks?

Hit and Miss suggested the old lady rain hat, hehe.

JoshStover
08-25-2009, 23:31
I am actually growing my hair out again for the dreads. I would also like to know the best way to take care of them on the trail. Im sure you could fashion a hat out of some type of waterproof material...

MikenSalem
08-26-2009, 00:11
You can rub them down with bee's wax then chop them off and put them in a ziplock bag. :banana Then you can put them in your food bag and everybody who see's them wll think you're toting out your poop with your food and not try and Yogi you:D. Oh did I say it keeps them dry in the zip lock.;)
Okay thats mean :datz, a rain hat or some tin foil then the aliens can't read your thoughts :{D

Nearly Normal
08-26-2009, 03:08
When I hiked the A.T. with my dreadies they were just miserable in the rainy cold weather, I fell alseep with sopping hair all've the time. Now they're molding...

Next year I'm hiking the PCT and I cant see doing that again, I'm looking for ideas to keep them dry. NOT cut them off, that is not an option.

Molding????

Rocket Jones
08-26-2009, 05:59
Yeah, I think "not an option" is misapplied here. Any hair style that causes your hair to grow mold needs changing.

Sly
08-26-2009, 07:04
On the PCT, while Washington may get wet, you'll be unlucky if you get more than 3 or 4 days of rain the 1st four months

tscoffey
08-26-2009, 08:47
that is not an option.

Since moldy hair will now be an integral part of you hiking experiences, why not research ways to use that mold to your advantage!

These come to mind:

-- You can add it to some milk (goat or cow) and make cheese.
-- Use it like the Aussies do and put it on crackers ("Vegemite").
-- Great way to make your own penicillin while on the trail.

Jayboflavin04
08-26-2009, 11:04
On the more serious side.....Maybe a shower cap! You know like grandma use to wear. And I am being serious. It is plastic and only weighs (maybe) an once. You could use it to line a Rasta type wool hat as well.

tscoffey
08-26-2009, 11:10
On the more serious side.....Maybe a shower cap! You know like grandma use to wear. And I am being serious. It is plastic and only weighs (maybe) an once. You could use it to line a Rasta type wool hat as well.

Plus, if the shower cap fails to do it's job, you can still use it to mix
the mold, milk, and rennet to make that afore-mentioned cheese.

take-a-knee
08-26-2009, 11:11
Does it really matter how someone wears there hair? Who cares! doesnt make the hiker. they wear them because they like them just like funky beards.:D

Yes but people wash their beards. Am I correct that "dred wearers" don't wash their hair? If that is the case that is just nasty as hell.

Chaco Taco
08-26-2009, 11:51

Knotty Boy has a detangle spray that works.

My finacee had em and they just fell apart on the AT. We had a hairdryer we kept in our bounce box. I would strongly reccomend talking the ladies at Knottyboy, they have some great advice for dreadies

Chaco Taco
08-26-2009, 11:56
Yes but people wash their beards. Am I correct that "dred wearers" don't wash their hair? If that is the case that is just nasty as hell.
That is the biggest misconception about dreads. You do wash your hair, just not as much. Its really bad for your hair to wash it everyday. You wash it with a non residue shampoo. Its actually very healthy for your hair. Try reading up on something before you pass judgement. There are some of those that do not wash their hair with dreads but hey, there are people that do wash themselves that dont have dreads. Its all stereortyping.

take-a-knee
08-26-2009, 12:09
That is the biggest misconception about dreads. You do wash your hair, just not as much. Its really bad for your hair to wash it everyday. You wash it with a non residue shampoo. Its actually very healthy for your hair. Try reading up on something before you pass judgement. There are some of those that do not wash their hair with dreads but hey, there are people that do wash themselves that dont have dreads. Its all stereortyping.

I stand corrected, my experience with "dreds" was in Haiti. Most folks there don't wash much of anything, which is understandable for them 'cause most don't have running water, except for rivers, when they aren't dried up or flooding. I still say that when your A$$ starts to smell, you oughta look for someplace to clean up, that includes your hair.

Pedaling Fool
08-26-2009, 12:11
I have the same misconception, I always assumed (yes I'm an ass) that dreadlocks were a way to get back to nature and part of that is to wear hair in a way that would naturally form if we did nothing to it, especially combing and washing with shampoo.

However after reading your post, I looked up knottyboy: http://www.knottyboy.com/ and I see there's actually a lot of maintenance that comes with DLs.

For the record, I almost never use shampoo or anyother soap on my hair, some may think that is gross, but I've found that simply scrubbing my scalp with plain water as I shower makes my hair just a clean as using shampoo, so I guess I'm more natural than most DL people:D

saimyoji
08-26-2009, 12:14
You used to.

Dreads are natural. Do some research

i've had long hair for some years now. it has yet spontaneously turn to dreads. what am i doing wrong?

tscoffey
08-26-2009, 12:14
Dreads are natural. Do some research

One could make the case that the mold is far more natural than the 'dreads'.
So why even try to prevent the mold?

Chaco Taco
08-26-2009, 12:15
I have the same misconception, I always assumed (yes I'm an ass) that dreadlocks were a way to get back to nature and part of that is to wear hair in a way that would naturally form if we did nothing to it, especially combing and washing with shampoo.

However after reading your post, I looked up knottyboy: http://www.knottyboy.com/ and I see there's actually a lot of maintenance that comes with DLs.

For the record, I almost never use shampoo or anyother soap on my hair, some may think that is gross, but I've found that simply scrubbing my scalp with plain water as I shower makes my hair just a clean as using shampoo, so I guess I'm more natural than most DL people:D

People do use those products if they want dreads. Some people just let them grow naturally. These products are more for people that cannot grow them naturally and need help. However, dreads were around during the Neolithic Period and were just a natural style, although i dont think they knew what style was. And as most know they are a big thing in Africa and Jamaica. More and more white people are doing it as an unnatural hair style, being that they dont form on their own with long straight hair.

Chaco Taco
08-26-2009, 12:16
i've had long hair for some years now. it has yet spontaneously turn to dreads. what am i doing wrong?

Non residue shampoo, dont brush it. If you have stick straight hair, like I do, they wont form naturally.

saimyoji
08-26-2009, 12:23
they wont form naturally.

so which is it? are they natural, or only sort of natural?

berninbush
08-26-2009, 13:50
They form naturally with some types of hair, and don't with others, saimyoji. African, African-American, and other coarse curly hair is more prone to grow in dreds. Ultra fine straight hair like mine would probably need some "help" to get there.

My old dog (golden retriever/ cocker spaniel mix) would grow impressive dreds naturally in the dense fur on her haunches and belly. I was always having to clip them out. My current dog (golden retriever) gets them behind her ears where the hair is forced together.

Hoop Time
08-26-2009, 13:51

For years I wondered about the white kids with dreads phenomenon. Finally one night in a local tavern I was "relaxed" enough to breach the question to a guy in a band playing there. He told me his dreads were the result in no small part of not washing his hair. Now a year or two later I find out he was perhaps pulling my leg?

Personally I don't get it, but who cares? If they want to wear it that way, go for it. Back when I had more hair to grow, for a while I wore mine shoulder length. My folks did not get that. Nowadays I get uncomfortable when it starts to hang over my ears on the sides. Go figure.

Mags
08-26-2009, 14:01
No comment on dreads per se.. (A non-issue what hair style a person chooses)

But, hiking in the desert you may find long hair to be a PITA. Quite a few women go for a short haircut on the PCT (or even buzz it). Many men go for the buzzed look once they are on the PCT for a bit.

Consistent rain will not be a problem on the PCT until perhaps the Cascades. Sweat, salt and "funkiness" is the main concern.

When I did the PCT, I was starting to lose my hair. Figure it was my last chance to grow long hair without looking stooooopid. Big mistake. My hair was greasy, salty and icky. I buzzed it in Agua Dulce. Short hair (and a beard for that matter) is easy enough to clean via sponge bath/bandanna combo. Long hair? Not so much.

Caring for dreadlocks off-trail is probably straight forward. On the trail? Like any long hair...probably not so much. Not that it can't be done..just requires more maintenance.

Of course, with my current hair line (thin and high!), the buzzed hair is more mandatory than choice. :)

Good luck!

take-a-knee
08-26-2009, 14:39
No comment on dreads per se.. (A non-issue what hair style a person chooses)

But, hiking in the desert you may find long hair to be a PITA. Quite a few women go for a short haircut on the PCT (or even buzz it). Many men go for the buzzed look once they are on the PCT for a bit.

Consistent rain will not be a problem on the PCT until perhaps the Cascades. Sweat, salt and "funkiness" is the main concern.

When I did the PCT, I was starting to lose my hair. Figure it was my last chance to grow long hair without looking stooooopid. Big mistake. My hair was greasy, salty and icky. I buzzed it in Agua Dulce. Short hair (and a beard for that matter) is easy enough to clean via sponge bath/bandanna combo. Long hair? Not so much.

Caring for dreadlocks off-trail is probably straight forward. On the trail? Like any long hair...probably not so much. Not that it can't be done..just requires more maintenance.

Of course, with my current hair line (thin and high!), the buzzed hair is more mandatory than choice. :)

Good luck!

Hair is overrated, IMO. This is coming from a former long-haired FM type (many, many years ago). Your trail observations are right in line with military standards. Part of the latter is tradition, but the tradition has practical roots.

Mags
08-26-2009, 14:54
Hair is overrated, IMO. This is coming from a former long-haired FM type (many, many years ago). Your trail observations are right in line with military standards. Part of the latter is tradition, but the tradition has practical roots.

Most of my adult life, I have had buzzed hair because of the ease of maintenance. Having buzzed hair due to hair loss is no big deal for me for that reason (Ladies like it, too. :D)

But, yeah, short hair in the field is a long tradition. The Romans did it back in the day for similar reasons. As an outdoor person, I find the wisdom in short hair as well. Not making a value judgment on long hair, just saying why I like short hair in the field personally.

Another tool in the kit to consider anyway.

Pedaling Fool
08-26-2009, 15:08

Knowing almost nothing about dreadlocks, I'm going to say that a shower cap probably won't work. Something is growing because the thick locks trap in moisture, your head provide wamth and by the nature of the locks much of the sunlight is blocked, perfect breeding ground for little crawlies and whatnot.

A shower cap will trap in heat and moisture (perspiration and any moisture there before donning the cap) and further block the sun. I believe this will also happen with a normal rain cap, however, a shower cap will be more conducive to growing stuff, since they don't breath too well.

I'm guessing your only way to get rid of growing stuff is chemical treatment.

Chaco Taco
08-26-2009, 19:02
Alot more dreadies out on the trail than I thought

Dogwood
08-26-2009, 21:39
Be careful with dreads on the PCT. I hear scorpions like to crawl into tightly curled hairy places. Ouch!

Only kidding with the OP. Actually I thrued with someone on the PCT last yr. with dreads. I asked him how he tended to his hair. Basically, he took care of it much like when he wasn't hiking, just washed it even less often. But, isn't that what happens with everyone who thru-hikes, whether they have dreads or not? And, NO, his hair didn't get moldy!

PM me and I'll find his Email address for you.

Jester2000
08-26-2009, 21:56
Panama thru-hiked the PCt last year with dreds. You could probably get his contact info at hikingwithpurpose.org

MikenSalem
08-26-2009, 22:50
My daughter had them on the trail last year and had no problems. I told her that when she was a little baby we always dreamed of the day she would wad up her hair, put gunk on it and look like someone who smoked crack w a plastic spoon... After she had her baby she cut them off,:banana unlike her tattoos the dreads are dead, ha! all two feet of them. And nobodies tried to score a J' off her since.:p

Dogwood
08-27-2009, 20:58
Mags- Of course, with my current hair line (thin and high!), the buzzed hair is more mandatory than choice.

And here I was thinking that was the full moon shining brightly or someone was trying to signal an SOS from atop the next ridge. It was just you, Mags.

Jack, you sound like a disgruntled impatient waiting for the next Presidential election Republican. LOL. I also voted for McCann.

JoshStover
08-27-2009, 21:42

Stop brushing it or combing it and it will dread, curlier hair will dread ALOT faster than straight hair but it would happen after a while.

Pedaling Fool
08-28-2009, 12:55
Actually you are wrong on that one. Dreads ARE natural. If you stopped doing anything to your hair(washing,brushing,etc..) you would have dreads. The hair will Dread all on its own if you let it.
Yet another reason NOT to live a "natural" lifestyle.:D

Lyle
08-28-2009, 16:04
Haven't read most of the posts, don't intend to since I have no real experience with dreads. But the few I read seemed to be aiming at preventing wetting from rain. I would assume the real nasty wetting, the kind that would cause mold is from profuse sweating day in and day out. Not sure if there is a solution to that while hiking.

HikerRanky
08-29-2009, 10:31
Getting back to the original post, it seems to me that the objective is to keep it dry. While a rain net or a hay may fix that, the humidity levels on non rain days will also contribute to problems.

Perhaps carrying something like this (http://www.rei.com/product/746099) would help in keeping the problem at bay....

Randy

Pedaling Fool
08-29-2009, 12:39
Getting back to the original post, it seems to me that the objective is to keep it dry. While a rain net or a hay may fix that, the humidity levels on non rain days will also contribute to problems.

Perhaps carrying something like this (http://www.rei.com/product/746099) would help in keeping the problem at bay....

Randy
Like I said, chemical treatment seems to be the only answer.

Pedaling Fool
08-29-2009, 13:04
Like I said, chemical treatment seems to be the only answer.
Seems to me we have collectively answered the OP's question.

Now I guess the new question is: What chemical treatment is best to prevent microscopic growth forming into mold?

I'll have defer to others with dircect experience.

Mags
08-29-2009, 17:32

Randy

The OP was talking about the PACIFIC CREST TRAIL. Rain is only really a problem (consistently) in the Cascades. The desert areas are another ball o' wax. The PCT has a different set of issues than the AT..lack of moisture being one of them. :)

The No-rinse shampoo could work (we used it back in the day when I was an orderly in an Out Patient surgical unit)..but, again, well...look at what experienced PCT hikers do an consider accordingly.

Chaco Taco
08-31-2009, 16:36
Honestly, I think Feral said it best and we did the same on the AT bounce some dread shampoo along with ya or think about carrying some with you and you can clean them.

How long are your dreads?

Jester2000
08-31-2009, 17:00
This is back a couple hundred years ago when I was living in Scotland . . .

Jack Tarlin
08-31-2009, 17:44
Geez, all your buds look like this back in the day?

No wonder the British always felt Caledonia to be fit only for barbarians. :D

LimpsAlong
10-08-2009, 18:10

No, what are you doing right? Are the dread wearers here rastas or is it just a fashion thing?
Hey, I'm jus' askin'.

John B
10-08-2009, 18:24
No, what are you doing right? Are the dread wearers here rastas or is it just a fashion thing?
Hey, I'm jus' askin'.

I'd bet it's all fashion. I'd seriously doubt if any of the dread wearers on the AT have ever read a single word by Marcus Garvey and probably think that Haile Selassie is the French chic caught making out with Lindsey Lohan. Their understanding of it begins and ends with Bob Marley, smoking weed, and lookin', like, you know, radical, man. ;)

mrhughes1982
10-08-2009, 18:57
All hairstyles are for fashion. If you spend 10-15 bucks a month to get a haircut then you are staying with the fashion mainstream, look I'm as normal as you are straight edge suit in tie fashion of the day. I hate haircuts and I generally go a while before my curls start getting on my nerves. Luckily my mom used to be a hair dresser so I get mine cut for free. :D

mrhughes1982
10-08-2009, 18:59
and lookin', like, you know, radical, man. ;)

it's heady bro :p

Mags
10-08-2009, 19:06
If you spend 10-15 bucks a month to get a haircut then you are staying with the fashion mainstream,

I paid $15 for clippers a few years back. Haven't been to a barber since. Of course I go for the de rigueur hair cut for balding guy in his mid-30s. I buzz it to stubble. :)

..or maybe that is fashionable (or, just being lazy in my case. :) )

Damn...I was supposed to be productive today and I spent at least half the time surfing. Hmm..seems like a real office job. :banana

John B
10-08-2009, 19:52
it's heady bro :p

I'm pushing 50. It's all groovy to me. :D And for that matter, I wish I had enough hair left to be a dreadie.

Dances with Mice
10-08-2009, 20:14
....and probably think that Haile Selassie is the French chic caught making out with Lindsey Lohan. Wait, not so fast. Would you go over that part again?

sbhikes
10-08-2009, 23:37
I disagree that short hair is better. Unless you mean REALLY short, like 1/8 inch or less. I get serious hat-hair no matter how short my hair is. I have found that very very long hair is easiest. When I hike, I put it in a braid and do not take it out of the braid until the next time I wash it. Once in a while I might brush out the braid and re-braid it, but mostly I just ignore it until I get to town and have a chance to wash it.

I suppose a braid would have almost as much chance to grow mold as dread locks. I never grew any mold in my braid and in fact, often when I took the braid out I could still smell the shampoo fragrance even 4 days of hiking later.

I don't think mold will be an issue for anybody's hair on the PCT. The humidity is mostly very low and probably always much lower than on the AT.

ShelterLeopard
10-08-2009, 23:50
Hmmmm- maybe this would be better posted under category of PCT, because you'll get barely any rain there in the beginning, whereas on the AT, you'd rot. (This year I heard it rained more than 2/3 of the days)

Mags
10-09-2009, 02:17
I disagree that short hair is better. Unless you mean REALLY short, like 1/8 inch or less.

I'd go with 1/4"..but yes.

Doooglas
10-09-2009, 03:48
The world is falling apart but we have..........
http://www.knottyboy.com/:D
Actually history might show that dreads# dreadfuls#;) were invented by islanders to keep animals from nesting on their heads.:eek:The Brits wouldn't let them keep sharp objects other than for cutting cane so the knot came into fashion instead of having a 14 by 14 inch birds nest on their head.:rolleyes:
Make that 20 by 20

Maddog
10-09-2009, 06:24

thanks for the link! very informative! i think i might take the plunge!(i've been growing my hair out for two years!):D

mumbles mcgee
12-27-2009, 18:27
Don't know what the PCT is going to be like, although you make me nervous saying that your dreads were constantly wet on the AT. I don't want to be in that situation either.
I think the best bet would be to take 'em out of pony tail for a little while every day (if you keep 'em up) and maybe try and squeeze some water out of them at the end of the day (The Sham-Wow comes to mind...). I find that when I put my hair up when it's wet everything will dry except the part my hair elastic was around. That's where the mold will probably come from if it happens day after day.
If you're in the market for a new rain jacket for the Cascades, make sure you try the hood on (with your hair both up and down) to see what is a good fit, and yes, maybe consider getting a baseball cap style rain hat. I found that most rain jackets (I got a marmot precip) left 2-3 inches of my hairline showing if my hair was in a ponytail.
If you don't have a Buff (google it), I would suggest getting one. I just got a Merino Wool one that is super long and forms a good tube around the entire length of hair. Although it won't do much in the rain, it will be good at keeping out other icky things may come your way (dust, scorpions!, etc).
For what it's worth, if you think it's a constant-sweating issue then focus on your scalp when cleaning. I have a little 2oz squeeze type bottle with a pointed nozzle to apply the shampoo directly to my scalp. Use Dr. B's, Burts, Jason, etc. regardless. It will leave less residue in your hair and less "stuff" for icky things to grow on.
I think I found an article on knottyboy.com one day about soaking dreads in boiling/really really really hot water to kill any bacteria that's in there and stop it from spreading. I would try to read up on it before doing it and ask a friend to help.

I think that's all the advice I can think of. Good luck :) Hope they live long and prosper!

Chaco Taco
12-27-2009, 20:35
One word, Desert:D:D:D

drifters quest
12-27-2009, 21:34
I'm dreading (no pun intended) dealing with my hair on the trail. Dreads aren't an options for me, but I have very curly hair that frizzes easy in damp climates. What SBhikes suggested sounds like a good idea, keeping the hair in a braid (and under a hat most of the time!). As for the mold, maybe you can find some type of antifungal powder for them?

nopain
12-28-2009, 08:25
why do white people wear dreadlocks.....:-?

Lone Wolf
12-28-2009, 08:43
to look like bob marley

mweinstone
12-28-2009, 09:57
i have dreadlocks and they are my choice cause they are fun and look cool and help get chicks. the right chicks. not yet but........

Hatfield
02-17-2010, 12:09
Roots brah, hair style to show others you are about da freedom. TRUSTAFARIANS

Feral Nature
05-25-2012, 12:49
There is much misinformation on this always hot topic. I have researched dreads for close to 10 years. Anyone's hair will dread if it is not combed or conditioned. Some hair dreads faster than other hair, but it all dreads. Sites like knottyboy or dreadheadhq sell unnecessary products like wax for instance and push people into all that maintenance, palm-rolling, root rubbing. None necessary. I fell for that trap with my first set of dreads and yes, my dreads mildewed a bit because of the sweat down here and they were full of wax and could not dry.

I love the look of natural dreads aka free-form or organic more so than the artificial looking backcombed dreads rolled with wax. I use Dr. Bronners shampoo and wash my hair, just like any hair, twice a week. Lather up and scrub just like always. Nothing needs to be done to my hair to form dreads however, I may pull them apart to keep them from getting too big.

Go to you tube and look at all the natural Caucasian dreads. I like the ones the women have, decorated with yarn, feathers, jewelry and beads. My hair is to my waist and tangles easily so it is easy for this white girl to grow dreads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GWfPQugpjuY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoDeX3laZ6o&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehkvTrQS8k8&feature=relmfu

Feral Nature
05-25-2012, 13:01
here's another with organic dreads...they take years to develop, hers are fairly young...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzBXcMRNNQM&feature=related

Feral Nature
05-25-2012, 14:28
One more video and I promise I'll stop. This video deals with different cultures and their dreads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5itTS92rViM&feature=related

Deadeye
05-25-2012, 21:41
Gives new meaning to the term "cheese head"!

Lone Wolf
01-04-2013, 08:59
Roots brah, hair style to show others you are about da freedom. TRUSTAFARIANS

rich white kids from western connecticut with trust funds. what a dumb look

coach lou
01-04-2013, 09:06
rich white kids from western connecticut with trust funds. what a dumb look

Central & eastern Connecticut we have to work, not so many dread heads.

I also have a Jamacian sister-in-law who has said she never seen so many Rastafarians until she came to America!

fins1838
01-04-2013, 09:18
I always assumed water just beaded up & ran off dreads; anyway, you could apply a little armor all.