PDA

View Full Version : dog sleep requirements

modiyooch
08-26-2009, 07:54
I work from home at times, and I noticed that my dogs sleep the greater part of the day. Do the hiking dogs get their requirement in sleep? I did notice several dogs catching "cat naps" when their owners stopped for a chat. I also noticed one dog with drooping eyes. I hike sun up to sun down. Do you take longer and multiple breaks for your dogs, or are my dogs sleeping because they are depressed that they are not hiking?

Phreak
08-26-2009, 08:11
Dogs are opportunist. They will catch some zzz whenever possible. Dogs have no issues getting the proper amount of sleep on the trail.

Gaiter
08-26-2009, 08:50
I also noticed one dog with drooping eyes. I hike sun up to sun down. Do you take longer and multiple breaks for your dogs, or are my dogs sleeping because they are depressed that they are not hiking?

Drooping eyes aren't quite like they are with humans, dogs eyes don't droop because they are tired that is typically a physical problem (depending on how bad it is, it can be fixed surgically)

I take multiple breaks anyways, but they do tend to last longer when I have my coco with me

sounds like your dogs are depressed :D working dogs can go for long hours, its just a matter of being used to it... if we get in a habit of working a couple hours and laying around the house the rest, we will have to get readjusted to long work hours, starting slow will allow your dog to build up endurance