PDA

View Full Version : Which is More Efficient?

Spokes
08-26-2009, 15:31
..........a PocketRocket or a Snow Peak Giga Stove?

I've owned a PocketRocket and always thought the thing just ran through fuel cannisters way faster than it should.

Thoughts?

tlbj6142
08-26-2009, 15:36
Most canister stoves are nearly the same with regard to efficiency except for those with builtin heat exchangers (aka Jet boil). The key to efficiently using canister gas is to not run the stove a full output. And to use a wind screen of sorts. Some stoves make a weak attempt to doing the later themselves (jetboil and a few others with large "fins" to protect the flame output), but that is not enough.

Check out the amazingly written Canister stove FAQ (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=97824&postcount=1) for more info and/or the link within the FAQ.

Jim Adams
08-26-2009, 15:43
a cannister on my pocket rocket lasts 10 days to two weeks.

geek

Mags
08-26-2009, 16:00
The canister stoves are pretty much functionally the same (similar weights, price and fuel). The Coleman F1 (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/coleman_outlander_f1_ultralight_canister_stove_rev iew.html) works better in wind and has more heat output..but otherwise work the same as the other stoves. As others said, don't crank the heat up! :)

Wise Old Owl
08-26-2009, 16:01
They are about the same, only a slight difference, and 40% effecient. You are choosing that stove for it UL characteristics. Transfer of heat can only be improved with aluminum wind screens and something to reflect heat away from the canister.

Mags you have to be a member for the thread you posted,

tlbj6142
08-26-2009, 16:12
Mags you have to be a member for the thread you posted,I included the comment about the F1 some time ago in the Canister FAQ. And the information was gleaned from reading the write-up on bpl.com.

They haven't done a round-up in some time, but when they did the F1 was a really nice stove. It will be my next canister stove as soon as I figure out how to break my PR (which I hate).

Mags
08-26-2009, 16:17
Mags you have to be a member for the thread you posted,

Nope. I never joined the site nor am I affiliated with them in anyway.

It is just a good little stove. I like to champion it because most "serious" backpackers sneer at Coleman products and for the price/weight/performance it is a good little stove. A Jetboil w/o the bells and whistles. By coincidence, I used the reference in two threads today.

Spokes
08-26-2009, 16:31
Here's another short (dated) review of the Coleman F1

http://www.treknologies.com/archives/2006/02/review_coleman_1.php

Cannibal
08-26-2009, 16:44
I have both of those stoves (MSR PocketRocket & SnowPeak Giga) and have not really noticed any differences at all in fuel consumption. My SnowPeak is a Ti version so it's nice and light, but the PocketRocket is sure a whole bunch cheaper and just as effective.

yaduck9
08-26-2009, 17:19
I would think that it is more of a perception thing then any real difference.

Pots, Wind Shields, Heat reflector ( between burner and canister ) will have a bigger impact then the differences between the two stoves.

But....I have been wrong in the past

Blissful
08-28-2009, 21:35
The MSR canisters for pocket rocket used a lot more fuel then the Snowpeak or Jetboil ones. Just my observation.

sheepdog
08-28-2009, 22:41
Jet Boil cooking system is a lot more efficient than both of the others.

Wise Old Owl
08-28-2009, 22:45
Well yes it's heavier and it has fins for heat transfer... I like the idea, I am not sure I want to carry it...

Anyone have any flatbread and retort packs?

mudhead
08-29-2009, 06:22
I have both of those stoves (MSR PocketRocket & SnowPeak Giga) and have not really noticed any differences at all in fuel consumption. My SnowPeak is a Ti version so it's nice and light, but the PocketRocket is sure a whole bunch cheaper and just as effective.

Do you notice any great difference in pot stability with the four "fins" vs three?

Tinker
08-29-2009, 08:29
a cannister on my pocket rocket lasts 10 days to two weeks.

geek

What size cannister? I'm considering bringing my cannister stove on the Long Trail next month. I haven't done any long hikes with it and am actually thinking about using it on long days. I hope to be able to cook over fires, generally. Esbit would be my second choice.

Tinker
08-29-2009, 08:36
I would think that it is more of a perception thing then any real difference.

Pots, Wind Shields, Heat reflector ( between burner and canister ) will have a bigger impact then the differences between the two stoves.

But....I have been wrong in the past

The Jetboil is the ticket if you're just boiling water or making simple noodle dinners.
Don't try to fry an egg in one, you'll never get the spatula down there to flip it :D. Of course, you can boil your eggs like everything else. After a week or so on the trail you get tired of boiled things and want a burger or something.
I'm attempting a thru of the Long Trail next month and am probably going to bring my Vargo Jet-ti stove (like a Pocket Rocket with a bigger burner head and better pot supports, not to mention a few grams lighter -yeah, big deal, I know). I will be bringing the fry pan from my old Trangia stove.

toegem
08-29-2009, 09:59
What size cannister? I'm considering bringing my cannister stove on the Long Trail next month. I haven't done any long hikes with it and am actually thinking about using it on long days. I hope to be able to cook over fires, generally. Esbit would be my second choice.
Tinker, from what I've observed using a Crux stove, I'm able to get 36 + cups of water to boil on a 110g. canister.

Trailbender
09-04-2009, 15:39
I just use a potted meat can with holes in it, and use denatured alcohol. Just as good as other stoves, it is featherweight, and practically free.

Cool AT Breeze
09-04-2009, 19:39
You paid 30.00 to save .3 oz.

Tinker
09-04-2009, 21:54
You paid 30.00 to save .3 oz.

That's kinda what he said..........no need to rub it in.:rolleyes: