PDA

View Full Version : Cord-locks for tent guy line adjusters

Crazy_Al
07-24-2004, 06:12
Do CORD-LOCKs work well as tent guy line adjusters ????

Streamweaver
07-24-2004, 06:21
Im not sure they would hold the cord tight enough to keep it from slipping.I tried using some cord and one of those barrell lock type cord locks to hold a waterbottle by the neck but it kept slipping because the spring inside wasnt strong enough. There might be some that will hold tight but the ones Ive used wont. Streamweaver

jlb2012
07-24-2004, 08:02
one approach using a cord lock is to feed a loop through the lock then feed the doubled ends of the line through the loop then put a knot in the doubled ends where you want the cord to stay - slip the loop over the knot and then lock the loop onto the knot by using the cord lock - the bulk of the force is handled by the loop not being able to slide over the knot and very little of the force is being handled by the cord lock itself

I used this technique when the buckle on my belt broke - by tieing a series of knots in the cord I was able to get an adjustable belt fashoned from stripped 550 cord and a cord lock.

Streamweaver
07-24-2004, 12:53
Good idea as usuall HOI!!! maybe thatll work for my bottle holder. Gonna give it a try.Thanks,Streamweaver

Rain Man
07-24-2004, 14:40

Perhaps a Prusik knot would work? It's a great knot for adjusting tension on guy lines.

http://www.ozultimate.com/canyoning/knots/prusik/

Used to climb rope out of pits on Prusik knots back in my caving days, before I purchased mechanical ascenders.

Rain Man

Streamweaver
07-24-2004, 15:38
Perhaps a Prusik knot would work? It's a great knot for adjusting tension on guy lines.

http://www.ozultimate.com/canyoning/knots/prusik/

Used to climb rope out of pits on Prusik knots back in my caving days, before I purchased mechanical ascenders.

Rain Man

. I think Joe Simpson used that same knot to help climb out of that crevasse. Streamweaver

Pencil Pusher
07-24-2004, 17:06
I think Joe Simpson used that same knot to help climb out of that crevasse. Streamweaver
Uh, well it's kinda hard to prusik on a rope not anchored;)

(KZ impersonation)Yea...the prusik...used it a few time back in da' she-et...good stuff to know...PP@:D

Streamweaver
07-24-2004, 17:49
Ok I just looked at the book(Touching the Void) and Simpson couldnt have used the Prussik knot to get out of the crevasse but he used one to hold himself upright on the rope he was dangling from just before simon cut the rope ,because his rucksack pulled him backwards and he ended up dangling upside down. Damn good book by the way-I cant wait to see the movie!! Streamweaver

Pencil Pusher
07-24-2004, 18:38
Those two were up the proverbial creek without a paddle. I agree, good book. Really tough and unfortunate predicament they found themselves in.

Youngblood
07-25-2004, 12:47

Don't know about cord locks but don't think you want use one for that purpose. Most people use a specific 'sliding knot' called a taut-line hitch. It's a good knot to know... it is handy for a lot of things.

Youngblood

Moon Monster
07-25-2004, 16:39
For a knot (and no need for extra hardware), try the taut-line hitch or some varient. Google would probably return many instructions.

This is what I use to adjust lines to stakes or trees.

Streamweaver
07-25-2004, 17:15
taut-line hitch (http://www.netknots.com/html/tautline.html) Heres the taut-line hitch

www.netknots.com This site has plenty of good knots for all different uses ,hiking,camping,fishing etc Streamweaver

Youngblood
07-25-2004, 20:03
That is a good illustration for a taut-line hitch. Sometimes I add another turn on the first part of the knot if I need more friction, or holding power... but use common sense because if you add too many turns you may not be able to adust/slide it at all.