PDA

View Full Version : Cardboard Box as Luggage???

RedneckRye
08-26-2009, 18:35
Has anyone ever used a cardboard box as luggage?

I'm flying out on Saturday to Fresno, CA for 3 weeks of hiking in the Sierras. Got a ride lined up to get from the airport to Kings Canyon NP. Slight problem is that no PO on saturday afternoon equals no way to mail anything back home. Thus no way to get rid of the duffel that I normally use as pack protection when flying other than tossing it.

I've got a box that my 50 liter pack and poles fit nicely into, don't think is should be an issue. Once I arrive, open the box, put on the pack, toss the pack.
Problem, hopefully, solved.

Feral Bill
08-26-2009, 19:21
If they open it for a security check, it could be a mess. I'd have each item well tagged and all tied together.

RedneckRye
08-26-2009, 19:29
The pack will be loaded and ready to go inside the box, not everything in there loose.

dmax
08-26-2009, 19:32
My son has done this a few times when he comes down to visit me. When he was younger he would pack x-mas presents this way to get them back home. The wife and I have done this once for a trip to yosemite.
It worked good for us and will do it again.

Old Grouse
08-26-2009, 20:22
Years ago, returning from my last leave before shipping out to Viet Nam, I used a cardboard box from a department store, tied with twine and with one of those throw-away handles they gave you at the store. Another fellow later told me of his amused first impression of this American fighting man walking into the barracks with my Bloomingdales luggage.

Jester2000
08-26-2009, 20:28
It'll work. If, for some reason, they have to open it for a security chack and can't reseal it, they'll put it inside a clear plastic bag. The bag may then be removed separately from the plane and might not be on the carousel but rather put in a nearby pile.

RedneckRye
08-26-2009, 22:38
It'll work. If, for some reason, they have to open it for a security chack and can't reseal it, they'll put it inside a clear plastic bag. The bag may then be removed separately from the plane and might not be on the carousel but rather put in a nearby pile.

If the TSA guys have the ability to open a box sealed with packing tape but can't figure out how to reseal it, we are in far far deeper trouble that I ever imagined.

Bourbon is legit in a checked box, I hope.

Jester2000
08-26-2009, 22:45
If the TSA guys have the ability to open a box sealed with packing tape but can't figure out how to reseal it, we are in far far deeper trouble that I ever imagined.

Bourbon is legit in a checked box, I hope.

If they get into the bourbon, they're definitely not gonna be able to reseal that box.

saimyoji
08-26-2009, 22:53
a few years ago my brother sent me a care package this way....tequila, condoms, st. patricks day card....the tequila bottle was empty, the condom box soaking wet and the card stuck so it wouldn't open...

...true story.

JoshStover
08-27-2009, 00:56
a few years ago my brother sent me a care package this way....tequila, condoms, st. patricks day card....the tequila bottle was empty, the condom box soaking wet and the card stuck so it wouldn't open...

...true story.

Sounds like someone had a blast!:D:D:D

saimyoji
08-27-2009, 06:15
Sounds like someone had a blast!:D:D:D

it was supposed to be ME. :mad:

freefall
08-27-2009, 06:27
Most airlines have theses large clear plastic bags available. When I check my pack, I have them put it in one of those. It keeps the straps from getting caught on the conveyors and what not.

Its also easy for TSA to inspect and I've never had a problem.

Using a box, I would be concerned if they open it for inspection as I don't know if they reseal boxes.

Jester2000
08-27-2009, 11:44
Most airlines have theses large clear plastic bags available. When I check my pack, I have them put it in one of those. It keeps the straps from getting caught on the conveyors and what not.

Its also easy for TSA to inspect and I've never had a problem.

Using a box, I would be concerned if they open it for inspection as I don't know if they reseal boxes.

Already covered in a previous post. If they can't reseal it they put it in one of the plastic bags you mentioned.

Bidwell
08-27-2009, 13:41
I've done it. It works... never had them open my box. But I could see them opening the box and not being able to close it.

Tennessee Viking
08-27-2009, 14:25
Has anyone ever used a cardboard box as luggage?

I'm flying out on Saturday to Fresno, CA for 3 weeks of hiking in the Sierras. Got a ride lined up to get from the airport to Kings Canyon NP. Slight problem is that no PO on saturday afternoon equals no way to mail anything back home. Thus no way to get rid of the duffel that I normally use as pack protection when flying other than tossing it.

I've got a box that my 50 liter pack and poles fit nicely into, don't think is should be an issue. Once I arrive, open the box, put on the pack, toss the pack.
Any UPS or FedEx stores around?

David@whiteblaze
08-29-2009, 21:19
Sounds good to me, you might want to look at throwing away the box instead of the pack, or taking off the pack before you throw it out.:p