PDA

View Full Version : Save weight: rehydrate with urine

vggalan
07-24-2004, 11:07
New Scientist is running a story (http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99996185) about a new type of dehydrated food that can be rehydrated with dirty water or even urine. It uses osmosis to separate out the gunk from the water.
The aim is to reduce the amount of water soldiers need to carry. One day's food supply of three meals, weighs 3.5 kilograms but that can be reduced to about 0.4 kilograms with the dehydrated pouches, says spokeswoman Diane Wood.

Wonder when/if these will get rolled out to the troops.

Pencil Pusher
07-24-2004, 13:24
To put it in perspective, here's a quote from that story:

"Hydration Technology of Albany, Oregon, which makes the membrane, says soldiers should only use urine in an absolute emergency because the membrane is too coarse to filter out urea.

The body will not find this toxic over the short term, says Ed Beaudry, an engineer with HTI, but rehydrating food this way in the long term would cause kidney damage."

So it looks to be more geared towards being a water filter. Good eye-catching headline, though. Some of the French troops in Verdun drank their own piss out of desperation back in WWI, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

steve hiker
07-24-2004, 13:30
New Scientist is running a story (http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99996185) about a new type of dehydrated food that can be rehydrated with urine.
......... UGH!

Sleepy the Arab
07-24-2004, 22:46
Sure it sounds disgusting, but who wouldn't want to be a wiz at making dinner? And it gives new meaning to a side dish of peas 'n' carrots!

pvtmorriscsa
07-25-2004, 04:18
To put it in perspective, here's a quote from that story:
"So it looks to be more geared towards being a water filter. Good eye-catching headline, though. Some of the French troops in Verdun drank their own piss out of desperation back in WWI, but desperate times call for desperate measures.Don't forget that most of the early gas masks in WWI required the user to urinate in the filter in order for it to function properly.

cshir003
10-13-2004, 10:50
I don't care what anybody says, I'm not pissing on my dinner regardless of the cook time.

TedB
10-13-2004, 12:42
Anybody hungry for some leftovers?

Footslogger
10-13-2004, 12:59
I'll pass ...

'Slogger
AT 2003

Jack Tarlin
10-14-2004, 12:31
After "Hike Your Own Hike!" the phrase that is probably most heard on the Trail is "Hey! Are You All Done With That?"

Looks the second phrase is about to get retired.

titanium_hiker
11-02-2004, 17:07
This is what NASA does... recycle gray water... but without NASA technology,
ughh! what about sharing food?

titanium_hiker