PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for the 100-Mile Wilderness

RossDude
08-26-2009, 23:56
I'm hoping to hike the 100-Mile Wildneress trail sometime around late Sep./early Oct. but I've got a few questions.

Firstly, there seems to be a slight lack of information regarding the trail online. I'm not sure where the trail starts exactly (I know it's in Monson, ME, but specifics would be appreciated).

Secondly, is there some way I can acquire a map for this trail? I figure I could get an AT trail guide of some sort but does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

RITBlake
08-27-2009, 01:24
Go to an EMS or REI and they should be able to sort you out. You may want to start by googling the MATC and buying their official map and guidebook set. That's all you need. Besides that there is ENDLESSSSS info on the 100 MW on whiteblaze just use the search button at the top!

RITBlake
08-27-2009, 01:26
Here ya go mate: http://www.matc.org/gudemaps.htm

RossDude
08-27-2009, 03:56
Thanks for the help so far. I have another question, though. Does anybody know what the trail is like right now? Are the rivers running high due to the rain earlier in the season? Will they be a problem around Sep./Oct.?

modiyooch
08-27-2009, 08:15
trailhead parking lot is on the right 3.5 miles north of monson on 15. trail goes thru the maine north woods. additional info on roads and primitive campsites can me found at their checkpoints and website.

kanga
08-27-2009, 08:21
Thanks for the help so far. I have another question, though. Does anybody know what the trail is like right now? Are the rivers running high due to the rain earlier in the season? Will they be a problem around Sep./Oct.?

expect mud. and lots of it. the rivers run high for a day or so after it rains. then they go down. and leave mud.

boarstone
08-27-2009, 10:33
bugs will be gone, expect cold water, windy days and a few wet ones. Cold nights, we're already into 40 deg. nights here in the river valley which will put the mts. into the low 30's and frosty mornings. You'll want very warm clothes, warm sleeping bag of at least 30 deg. rating. Warming liquids, soups/teas/cocoa etc.

RossDude
09-01-2009, 11:40
Awesome. This sounds good so far but another question about the rivers. How high do they get? Are they usually pretty low?

Shutterbug
09-01-2009, 14:56

I was in the 100 Mile Wilderness last week. The rivers are not running high. We had a couple of inches of rain last week and it didn't seem to have any impact on the rivers. The Pleasant River was less than knee deep.

As of this week, the bugs are still pretty bad. In fact, they were terrible at Abol and at Rainbow Springs Camp. They were not so bad around Gulf Hagas and White House Landing.

The trial itself is still as muddy as I have ever seen it, but I have never been there this early in the year.

Based on my prior experience, river crossing won't be a problem in September or October.