PDA

View Full Version : Walmart water bladder

Drew J
08-27-2009, 01:16
Has anyone on here used the Walmart (Cyclone brand I think) water bladders? Are they durable? Does the bit valve work well? i guess overall I am wondering if it's worth spending the extra money on the Camelback system. Thanks!

Mrpokey
08-27-2009, 01:20
I've never tried the Cyclone System, but if it was me, I'd spend the extra few bucks and get a actual Camelback system. You won't be disappointed

CowHead
08-27-2009, 08:07
I bought one and I tried every trick in the book to get rid of the plastic taste and nothing would remove it.

Homer&Marje
08-27-2009, 08:10
Marje is still using one, the plastic taste does not go away completely. For the money I think the Platypus that I just bought is well worth a few extra dollars.

The Walmart ones work for sure....and they are cheap, but you get a funk taste for a while and it's much harder to get a good sip of water vs a platy or a camelback.

Tennessee Viking
08-27-2009, 08:22
I worked through 3 of them. They are ok. If you use Lemon Juice, you can get rid of the plastic taste.

If you are day hiking, then its ok but don't take them on any long trips. The screw-on cap can crack very easily. And there is no real seal, it leaks pretty bad when you have any weight against the bladder.

I would just spend the little extra money for a platypus.

Grinder
08-27-2009, 08:23
mine lasted about two years consisting of two weeks a year backpacking and two or three long motorcycle rides. (1000 mile plus).

I found the design a bit awkward since I never got the backpack (camelback type thing) to hold the bladder.

The hose outlet at the bottom of the bag cracked and broke this year.

I never particularly noticed a plastic taste.

HTH

berninbush
08-27-2009, 08:30
I've used these and thought they worked pretty well. "Plastic taste" never bothered me. For a while I was biking to work daily and using mine, and it seemed to hold up well. Unfortunately, I stored it not-quite-dry and it grew mold... but I'm pretty sure the fancier ones will do that too if you don't keep 'em clean.

Here's the question I have: if you buy two or more water bags with the intention of carrying extra water on the trail, how do you cap off the place where the hose attaches on the bags you're not currently using? Do you just keep hoses plugged in to all of them? I've never seen any kind of cap that fits the hose attachment point, on the Walmart ones or the platys.

Tennessee Viking
08-27-2009, 08:42
I've used these and thought they worked pretty well. "Plastic taste" never bothered me. For a while I was biking to work daily and using mine, and it seemed to hold up well. Unfortunately, I stored it not-quite-dry and it grew mold... but I'm pretty sure the fancier ones will do that too if you don't keep 'em clean.

Here's the question I have: if you buy two or more water bags with the intention of carrying extra water on the trail, how do you cap off the place where the hose attaches on the bags you're not currently using? Do you just keep hoses plugged in to all of them? I've never seen any kind of cap that fits the hose attachment point, on the Walmart ones or the platys.
I was looking to do the same thing. But I think the hose is the only accessory. I could never find a cap for it.

Homer&Marje
08-27-2009, 08:47
You could try and melt the hose near the screw in cap and just ditch the extra piece of hose....maybe try and get some small hose clamp and cut off most of the hose, rubber stopper...I dunno...you'd have to find something, obviously that fit perfect and could take some abuse in the pack without dislodging.

Skidsteer
08-27-2009, 08:58
REI carries a push/pull cap and a solid cap for the Platypus.

A few types of push/pull caps from water bottles will work also.

http://www.rei.com/zoom/nn/265ab499-840d-473c-af92-b3a6b054d7ca.jpg/150

brooklynkayak
08-27-2009, 09:27
I would be weary of water containers that have any plastic taste as that could be a sign mild toxicity.
I find that most Walmat and Kmart gear to be poor quality. The tents i've seen won't hold up to weather, the hiking poles are soft aluminum and snap in half easily, ...
I guess there are some adequate items, but if an item doesn't last long or provide the funtion it is supposed to, you are wasting money.

But then if you are like me and loose things before they break, they can be cost affective:-)

Johnny Thunder
08-28-2009, 12:03
I'd be weary of buying/using any name-brand water bag or bladder that wasn't from the MSR Dromlite series. Over the past year I've seen every other brand (Camelback, Nalgene, and Platypus...platies for sure are the biggest let down) spring leaks or cracks. My MSR has almost 3K on it...I know of other people who have more miles with theirs. It's made to take the abuse and weighs a whopping 2 or 3 ounces more than the ones that are made to be broken and replaced.

coldspring
08-28-2009, 12:27
I bought two of the Wal-Mart brand bladders and one little field pack that had the same bladder inside. They all sprung leaks where the hose attaches. I'm not sure if they are the same kind as you're are referring to. I do remember a plastic taste. I also found the bite valve to be hard, if you are picky about twisting your teeth out of alignment, I would avoid it. It seemed like it dribbled to.

FWIW, the one Camelback bladder I've had (the one that came in an Unbottle) started leaking around the cap, but it got used a lot.

I then went to a Platypus Big Zip and liked it.

I just use Powerade bottles now though.

Jonnycat
08-28-2009, 13:31
I like the platypus bottles; the one I'm using for drinking sits on the top of my pack, right next to the filter. They are lightweight, and don't impart any taste to the water.

CowHead
08-28-2009, 13:34
I would be weary of water containers that have any plastic taste as that could be a sign mild toxicity.
I find that most Walmat and Kmart gear to be poor quality. The tents i've seen won't hold up to weather, the hiking poles are soft aluminum and snap in half easily, ...
I guess there are some adequate items, but if an item doesn't last long or provide the funtion it is supposed to, you are wasting money.

But then if you are like me and loose things before they break, they can be cost affective:-)

:bananadang now I know where that 3rd leg came from:bananayes i am happy to see you and that is a banana in my pocket:banana

Tennessee Viking
08-28-2009, 14:16
I am just glad my father invented the plastic for the new Camelback Tritan bottle. No taste. Froze it and it didn't crack. I love it. Thanks Dad.

Graywolf
09-03-2009, 00:58
Just my 2 cents, The first and only Platy I bought leaked the first day out. I had to use duck duct tape to stop the leak. Replaced it when I got the first chance, good ole water bottle.

But I am sure they are more rugged now. I am just leary of forking over 50 bucks for something that will leak the first day.

Just my 2 cents

Father Dragon
09-03-2009, 02:36

I agree here. If you taste the plastic then I'm guessing you are drinking the plastic.:eek:

redseal
09-08-2009, 20:36
I had two actually. The first one I got home, filled it, then found out the bit valve did not have an opening! Returned it and got another one. There was a plastic taste, but for $10 I could live with it. What I did not like about it was the non-standard size tubing. It does not work with the Katadyn Hike Pro quick disconnect system that I have. I upgraded to the Platypus Hoser with no complaints. Only $20, lightest of the bunch, and works with my filter. Many complain about the fill port, but I don't use that since I fill directly from the filter while the bladder is in my pack.

Rainman
09-08-2009, 21:11
Go with the Nalgene bladder. It is not that much more expensive, but is better even than the camelback and worth the price. I have used the same bladder for the last four years with no problem.

http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=55

The new models are a little different than mine. The hose comes out of the middle instead of the side, but I would think they are just as durable.

Jonnycat
09-08-2009, 21:57
Just my 2 cents, The first and only Platy I bought leaked the first day out. I had to use duck duct tape to stop the leak. Replaced it when I got the first chance, good ole water bottle.

But I am sure they are more rugged now. I am just leary of forking over 50 bucks for something that will leak the first day.

Just my 2 cents

I've been using platys for years now, and have had exceptional service from them. It's easy to tell when they are going to spring a leak, as the plastic begins to get opaque, and the company will replace them at no cost.

I consider them to be cheap enough to be a consumable item, and light enough to bring an extra one along.

MikenSalem
09-08-2009, 22:16
I've used the camels and the wally-worlds The camelbak gets my vote. The wally's tend to leak easier at the cap, bite valves leak faster, The cap has a O ring to loose, and I have a tendency to loose most everything. I never had a platypus. Ultimately it's $8 vs $30 I'm happy with the Ti Camelbak 3L enough to replace it with another why change?

Wags
09-12-2009, 09:39
a buddy of mine got the walmart bladder. the water in it tasted plasticy

ShoelessWanderer
09-12-2009, 09:54
Use lemon juice (which I think I saw someone mention, but worth the repeat) to get rid of the taste.

I have the walmart version and love it. Works better than my camelbak one.

Lilred
09-12-2009, 10:12

Have you tried a cap from a 2 liter soda bottle? That's what I use on my one liter platy. Works great and has never leaked.

berninbush
09-12-2009, 13:54
Thanks for the suggestion, Lilred. But the Walmart ones have the female side of the connection on the bag itself, and the male side on the hose. So if I disconnect the hose, there's nothing to screw a cap to.

Gaiter
09-12-2009, 15:05
also you can buy platypus's with out the hose and they come with a cap and its easy to switch the hose btn your platypus's

as far as the walmart bladder, bought one when i first got into backpacking, it leaked.

sparky2009
10-07-2009, 22:50
My first bladder was a platypus that ended up leaking at the bottom. I switch to the walmart bladders and have been quite pleased with them. They fit quite nicely in my Granite Gear's bladder sleeve. I do carry a spare just in case. Haven't noticed a plastic taste with mine. I may consider the camelbak version in the future.

nox
10-07-2009, 23:05
my first bladder was the walmart cyclone and the first time i used it, it leaked from the threads all over my sleeping pad, bag, and food... i bought a platy and haven't had a problem.

Captn
10-08-2009, 04:09
I had two of them leak on me the whole first trip I used them.

Sorry .... ok for day hikes, but I won't use them again. Drying out gear is too big a pain.

Blissful
10-08-2009, 13:04
My first bladder was a platypus that ended up leaking at the bottom. .

If that happened, return your playtpus to the company - it has a lifetime warranty. They sent me a brand new one, really nice.

tuswm
10-11-2009, 09:17
The tube also melts at alower temp then the tube on a real camelback. Something that might make a difference in the winter.

trailangelbronco
06-04-2010, 17:27
I have been using the new Platypus collapsible bottles. I carry one in each side mesh pocket and they rock! When empty, simply roll it up into a little tube and stuff in a litlte pocket. Mine fit in my waist belt pocket when empty! Best water carry solution ever!

crazyonelost
06-04-2010, 20:19
I just bought a cabelas platy and it worked ok for my Laurel Highland Trail a couple of weeks. I was a little concerned with filling it all the way up because of pressure of cinching the pack and the weight pushing on the bladder might leak. It never did.

I never noticed any plastic taste what so ever. I wanted a camelback but didn't have enough cash on me so I opt out for the cheaper platy.

S'mores
06-10-2010, 07:15
I have the walmart one and actually love it. I know at the beginning there was a plastic taste (2 years ago), I honestly couldn't tell you if it is still there or if I'm just used to it. I use it in the day pack that it came in and I use it in my internal frame (LL Bean White Mountain) fits just fine. I just did 10 days on the AT and had it in the internal. I have a Katadyn water filter and found that the tube from thefilter will fit INSIDE the bite valve threading so it makes for REALLY easy fill ups!! So far so good on the leaks (knock*knock*knock)

turtle fast
06-10-2010, 11:46
Had used the Walmart Cyclone and it had the plastic taste for months...then the bite valve leaked when the hose was on my pack strap. Used a Camelback and a Platypus...both ok. However, I have switched to Gadoraide bottles...its nice to chug water when you want to...no sip...sip...sip. I guess I am revolting to being like a gerbil and the water dribble thing! Long live gulping and chugging!

Ricky&Jack
06-19-2014, 11:50
When you use lemon juice, do you just use one of those little plastic shaped lemons with juice in them and swoosh it around, and then send it out through the hose?

Or do you dilute it with a certain amount of water etc?

I've used my walmart bladder for about 25 miles so far, but I'm going on a 12mi hike in the Smokies this saturday, so Im wanting to get rid of the taste (Without having to buy a diff one)

Venchka
06-19-2014, 15:20
I haven't done it with this product, but...
Arm & Hammer Baking Baking Soda - this product - http://www.grainger.com/product/33X679?gclid=CjkKEQjwlIqdBRDy6JSK4Lmn1akBEiQAVa9dP cJ90XuzLK8WDzjarx6T-govRGVv1LJ0LDFYSjXtBmXw_wcB&cm_mmc=PPC:GooglePLA-_-Cleaning-_-Odor%20Control-_-33X679&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=33X679&ef_id=Uw35hgAAABzWbNPP:20140619191736:s
and hot water works to get the after taste out of Wine-in-a-Box plastic bladders. A couple of tablespoons of baking soda and fill mostly full with hot water. Cover & let sit at least overnight. Swish around occasionally. Empty. Repeat. Rinse well with plain water.
Start now.

Wayne

garyp
06-26-2014, 20:38
I love the Osprey bladders. I did the camel back and other versions and brands and found the Osprey ones. I like them a lot actually. It depends on what you like but the Osprey is easier to clean and carry than the camel back ones in my opinion.

permagrin
06-26-2014, 22:54
I bought one of those 20 dollar Walmart "platypus" knockoffs. It worked OK and did taste a bunch like plastic. I never found any replacement parts on the shelf, but for 20 bucks, ya get what ya pay for. I guess a good ol' internet seach for that kinda stuff would have been necessary..but for 20 bucks? I went with an Osprey 1.5 liter this time cuz it had the same fancy picture of a bird as on my Osprey pack and we all know how important color coordinating is on the trail.

IF yer day hiking or something, go with Walmart, I spose, but for a few bucks more the stuff from REI just seems wayyy better.

thecyclops
07-24-2014, 18:42
It is NOT a walmart bladder.Its a Outdoor Products Cyclone bladder and its bada$$,especially for the money.Outdoor Producta is sold at many retailers and all of their stuff has a lifetime warranty.In fact its my brand of choice for just about all my hiking stuff.Cheap,reliable and a lifetime warranty.

thecyclops
07-24-2014, 18:47
Everyone here is confusing OZARK TRAIL WALMART brand with OUTDOOR PRODUCTS NOT a WALMART brand but sold at walmart.My cyclone bladder is still going strong,and I also own a mist.8.0 hydration pack with the same bladder and again,LOVE IT.