PDA

View Full Version : Cherokee Forest acquires additional land in Unicoi County, TN

Tennessee Viking
08-27-2009, 08:33
Associated Press
Published: August 27, 2009
The Cherokee National Forest has acquired 1,278 additional acres in Unicoi County from the Conservation Fund for $5 million. The fund, a nonprofit organization, is holding the land until money is available to make more transfers possible. The U.S. Forest Service made the purchase.

According to The Greeneville Sun, The Conservation Fund has a lease agreement with the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency to manage the property.

The national forest encompasses 640,000 acres stretching from Bristol to Chattanooga.

Is this part of Rocky Fork Tract acquirement?

Cabin Fever
08-27-2009, 19:54
Since it is in Unicoi County and involves The Conservation Fund, I would say yes.

Tennessee Viking
08-27-2009, 21:14
I know that the main tract was transferred over to the Forest Service earlier. I bet its sections around Higgins Creek over to Clarks Creek. Cab if you haven't gone back in there. It is a great place to explore. 100 foot waterfall. Then there is a hidden lake up there. I have to thank Possum, Chew, and Ramsey for all the info on it.

Gray Blazer
08-28-2009, 08:15
Hey, if you keep on the road from Indian Grave to Beauty Spot Gap will it take you to Iron Mountain Gap or near thereabouts? Thanks in advance.

Tennessee Viking
08-28-2009, 08:54
Hey, if you keep on the road from Indian Grave to Beauty Spot Gap will it take you to Iron Mountain Gap or near thereabouts? Thanks in advance.Hey Grey. USFS 230 will get you close to Iron Mountain Gap. Its usually closed from December to March/April (rough dates are Dec 15-March 15). But take your time, its a great little road to drive. Especially with it being graded now.

After Beauty Spot, it will continue to Deep Gap then up to the top of Unaka Mtn to the road leading to the abandoned Overlook (a little rutted and rocky but still driveable). Then short distance after that is the Stamping Ridge Trail turnout. Then you start down the mountain. There is a small turnout at the next switchback with .5 mile access trail to the trail above Low Gap.

Then its a couple more switchbacks down the mountain. You will come to the USFS 230 gate & Red Fork Road. Clear Fork Falls (all of its 5foot glory) is right below the gate. The turnout for Red Fork Falls will be just up on the left.

But you will pop out on TN 107 near Limestone Cove TN at the base of Unaka Mountain (before it starts climbing up to Iron Mtn gap).

Gray Blazer
08-28-2009, 11:53
Cool Beans, Viking. Thanks again.