PDA

View Full Version : parking near Springer Mtn

energy_turtle
08-27-2009, 09:51
I have some vacation time I need to use up, so I decided I'm going to try my first solo hike, covering 5-6 days. Where is the best place to park near Springer, considering I'd like to avoid as much of the approach trail as I can? Should I worry about leaving my vehicle there that long?

During our last weekend hike in the spring we heard reports about a deviant bear somewhere on the lower section of GA that was crawling up trees and cutting down food bags. Is this guy still a problem and where exactly is he hanging out? They mentioned the area but I've since forgotten.

Survivor Dave
08-27-2009, 10:02
I have some vacation time I need to use up, so I decided I'm going to try my first solo hike, covering 5-6 days. Where is the best place to park near Springer, considering I'd like to avoid as much of the approach trail as I can? Should I worry about leaving my vehicle there that long?

During our last weekend hike in the spring we heard reports about a deviant bear somewhere on the lower section of GA that was crawling up trees and cutting down food bags. Is this guy still a problem and where exactly is he hanging out? They mentioned the area but I've since forgotten.

There is a parking area at Big Stamp Gap at USFS 42 which is basically 0.9 miles North on the AT, so you'd have to hike South and come back to the parking lot. Personally, I would not leave my vehicle there for extended periods of time. Another option is to park at Amicalola Falls State Park for $3 and get shuttled to Springer.
Ron Brown in the ATC shuttle listing covers that area as well as the Hiker Hostel and Wes Wisson. All are listed.
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BB8A229E6-1CDC-41B7-A615-2D5911950E45%7D/AT%20Shuttle%20List%20WEB%208-12-09.pdf

As far as the bear, the no camping ban has been lifted. They do suggest to keep an eye out though.

max patch
08-27-2009, 10:06
If by "best" you mean "safest" then you want to park at Amicalola State Park and do the approach trail. Its not hard; don't believe what some post here about it.

If my "best" you mean "closest" then you want to park at the parking lot on USFS42 0.9 miles north of Springer.

I'd park at either.

I've seen bears this year near the blue blaze to Whitley Gap Shelter and at Low Gap Shelter. Both these are within a days walk north of Neels Gap.

sweetpeastu
08-27-2009, 10:30
sooo whats the deal with the approach trail? Is it long or somethin? (I know nothing about GA) :)

energy_turtle
08-27-2009, 10:55
sooo whats the deal with the approach trail? Is it long or somethin? (I know nothing about GA) :)

It's ~8 miles or so, which doesn't bother me...I'd just prefer to hike AT miles only due to time constraints.

max patch
08-27-2009, 11:58
It's ~8 miles or so, which doesn't bother me...I'd just prefer to hike AT miles only due to time constraints.

Well, the approach (most of it, anyway) used to be the AT back when it started at Mt Ogelthorpe. And the shelter at Black Gap used to be the Springer Mt shelter; it was helicoptered to its current location when the present Springer Mt shelter was built.

Pedaling Fool
08-27-2009, 12:04
Not trying to talk you into hiking the approach trail, but really no different than the AT. It's all the same crap:sun. However, you will passby a waterfall taller than Niagra Falls.:D

Rambler
08-31-2009, 13:44
Stay/park at the Hiker Hostel. They will shuttle you within 1 mile from the Springer summit.

http://www.hikerhostel.com/

energy_turtle
09-01-2009, 11:02
Stay/park at the Hiker Hostel. They will shuttle you within 1 mile from the Springer summit.

http://www.hikerhostel.com/

They are unavailable for shuttling on my begin date, so I've reserved with Joyce & Sally to pick me up from Amicalola SP and take me to Dicks Creek Gap to hike south. That way I can go at my own pace and not have to meet a timeline to get taken back to my car.

chefjason
09-01-2009, 12:15
They are unavailable for shuttling on my begin date, so I've reserved with Joyce & Sally to pick me up from Amicalola SP and take me to Dicks Creek Gap to hike south. That way I can go at my own pace and not have to meet a timeline to get taken back to my car.

Smart man. I will be hiking NOBO from Neels starting Friday. If you are not past Neels by then I will look for ya. BTW, you have to pay a parking fee in A.S.P., so bring a few bills with ya. They have a lot directly accross from the vsitor's center that extended hikers usually park in. Folks in the V.S. are very knowledgeable and nice too. See ya on the trail.

NCYankee
09-01-2009, 15:45
In 5-6 days you can easily hike Springer->Dick’s Creek. I left my car there and had no problem. You would leave your car at Dick’s and then get a shuttle to Springer. You could do what we did and get dropped off at Springer, .9 miles from the top (10 minute hike with the adrenaline you have going). Turn around and hike to your car. It is a really nice section that affords you a ton of great options, including a resupply so you only need to carry a couple of meals and make a lightweight run of it:
Day 1: Springer to Hawk Mountain
Day 2: Hawk Mountain to Woody Gap (stay there or go to the Hiker Hostel)
Day 3: Woody Gap to Neels Gap (stay there in the hostel and get a shower and resupply)
Day 4: Neels Gap to Low Gap
Day 5: Low Gap to Tray Mountain
Day 6: Tray Mountain to Dick’s Creek

That is the exact plan that we did… we then flip flopped and went down from Deep Gap, NC to Dick’s Creek, but it was a really beautiful great section. You will also complete all but 9 miles of GA in under a week.

Just my experience, have a great time!

energy_turtle
09-01-2009, 20:25
Smart man. I will be hiking NOBO from Neels starting Friday. If you are not past Neels by then I will look for ya. BTW, you have to pay a parking fee in A.S.P., so bring a few bills with ya. They have a lot directly accross from the vsitor's center that extended hikers usually park in. Folks in the V.S. are very knowledgeable and nice too. See ya on the trail.

I'm not beginning until Sunday September 27. I have a few more weeks worth of work to complete before I can take that much time off.

energy_turtle
09-01-2009, 20:36
In 5-6 days you can easily hike Springer->Dick’s Creek. I left my car there and had no problem. You would leave your car at Dick’s and then get a shuttle to Springer. You could do what we did and get dropped off at Springer, .9 miles from the top (10 minute hike with the adrenaline you have going). Turn around and hike to your car. It is a really nice section that affords you a ton of great options, including a resupply so you only need to carry a couple of meals and make a lightweight run of it:
Day 1: Springer to Hawk Mountain
Day 2: Hawk Mountain to Woody Gap (stay there or go to the Hiker Hostel)
Day 3: Woody Gap to Neels Gap (stay there in the hostel and get a shower and resupply)
Day 4: Neels Gap to Low Gap
Day 5: Low Gap to Tray Mountain
Day 6: Tray Mountain to Dick’s Creek

That is the exact plan that we did… we then flip flopped and went down from Deep Gap, NC to Dick’s Creek, but it was a really beautiful great section. You will also complete all but 9 miles of GA in under a week.

Just my experience, have a great time!

I've parked at Dicks Creek Gap for a weekend, but I'm not comfortable leaving the car there a whole week. Back in the spring we did a brief overnight hike from Dicks Creek Gap to Plumorchard Gap and back. We found what will be a repeat campsite for us there...rather than head down the blue blaze trail to Plumorchard Gap shelter, directly opposite that on the other side of the trail is a very steep side trail off the gap that drops probably 100' to a small campsite barely big and flat enough for three tents. Essentially is is a ledge on the side of the mountain with a babbling brook and collection pool right at its back, with a stepped-down fire pit at the front. That night the wall of my tent was literally within 2' of the brook, babbling away and lulling me to sleep. It was heaven.

looking back at the site and up the trail that leads down to it...the brook and collection pool is directly behind my 1-man tent in the back:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_GlbWVa4cVxI/SdkPrbc9nFI/AAAAAAAAAnQ/IBSQDQRrbBs/s800/IMG_2844.JPG

and from the front again, showing the fire pit:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_GlbWVa4cVxI/SdkPt-2pZsI/AAAAAAAAAnU/DMBwN2CK0PE/s800/IMG_2846.JPG

looking forward at the sunset:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_GlbWVa4cVxI/SdkPwIZCU2I/AAAAAAAAAnc/oWcN2Rvv3Z4/s800/IMG_2847.JPG

chefjason
09-01-2009, 23:03
I'm not beginning until Sunday September 27. I have a few more weeks worth of work to complete before I can take that much time off.
Oh well, have a great hike! Maybe the leaves will have started to change by then. BTW, I agree with you on the leaving a vehicle at Dick's for a week. It sits 25' off of the hwy. I perfect target for late night boozing kids.