PDA

View Full Version : Double murder near the AT in VA

jaywalke
08-27-2009, 17:37
http://www.roanoke.com/news/nrv/breaking/wb/216809

Caldwell Fields in basically straight downhill from the Sarver Hollow shelter.

Camping Dave
08-27-2009, 18:33
Get ready for the clanging yet fearful cry to arms from WB's gun-totin' members.

sasquatch2014
08-27-2009, 18:46
Doesn't sound like they were on the trail. the parking lot's are day use areas are some of the areas that need the most attention. As far as the gun toting member to hell with that if I see you coming get ready to have your eyes gouged out with my unbreakable Light My Fire Sprok!

Rocket Jones
08-27-2009, 18:53
Get ready for the clanging yet fearful cry to arms from WB's gun-totin' members.

Stereotype much? :rolleyes:

Blissful
08-27-2009, 18:57
This is a tragedy and I hope and pray they get the killer quick.

Why make light of it?

Phreak
08-27-2009, 19:03
What a troll.

jaywalke
08-27-2009, 19:09
Doesn't sound like they were on the trail. the parking lot's are day use areas are some of the areas that need the most attention.

It's about 1.25 miles off the AT on a sidetrail from the shelter. I've parked there before for section hikes. It does seem that violence usually happens near a road, doesn't it?

cowboy nichols
08-27-2009, 19:10
How sad, my prayers for their famlies.

Jonnycat
08-27-2009, 19:24
What a troll.

Rats, you beat me to it!

rickb
08-27-2009, 19:29
It's about 1.25 miles off the AT on a sidetrail from the shelter. I've parked there before for section hikes. It does seem that violence usually happens near a road, doesn't it?

And surprisingly, often to couples.

Mrs Baggins
08-27-2009, 19:43
This is hideous. But we have both bought small handguns. You gotta do what you gotta do to protect yourself and to hell with the do-gooders. As the Billy Joel song said "Keep it to yourself. It's my life." Not yours.

Cabin Fever
08-27-2009, 19:52
My prayers are with their families. The young man was pursuing the same degree I have.

Lone Wolf
08-27-2009, 20:32
Stereotype much? :rolleyes:

i bet he's anti-gun, left wing, athiest. etc., etc.

Lone Wolf
08-27-2009, 20:33
This is hideous. But we have both bought small handguns. You gotta do what you gotta do to protect yourself and to hell with the do-gooders. As the Billy Joel song said "Keep it to yourself. It's my life." Not yours.

right on mrs. baggins!

Rain Man
08-27-2009, 20:40
More felons, I see. I figure most criminals rationalize their crimes.

Rain Man

Alligator
08-27-2009, 20:49
This just happened today, so let's just take a little bit of time to see what happened before we pull out the soap boxes.

jeepcj258
08-27-2009, 22:02
Very Sad and tragic

SteveJ
08-27-2009, 22:12
tragic story...as the father of two college students, I can only imagine the heartbreak of the families.....

Cookerhiker
08-27-2009, 22:24
Here's the Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/27/AR2009082703360.html?hpid=moreheadlines) account. Not many details at this point. My sympathies to the families of these young people.

JoshStover
08-27-2009, 23:40
My prayers go out to the Family and Friends......

modiyooch
08-28-2009, 09:06
Were they camping? They were found in the parking area/car. Is the campground or the parking lot a "popular hangout for students" ?

Horrible.

modiyooch
08-28-2009, 09:06
and sad indeed.

Jayboflavin04
08-28-2009, 10:11
Speaking of road crossings. There was a guy that "didnt fit the bill" at the road crossing at "elk garden" on our trip a couple weeks ago. He was driving a light blue late 80 early 90 toyota celica packed to the rim with odds and ends, and had michigan plates. He was looking for the road up to whitetop mountain. He asked for directions from me and a older gent that was sitting at the rest area by the road. He then proceeded to look at the map on the trail head sign for a long time. I asked the older gent that was sitting there if he thought that dude was shady....he agreed. I later warned a female solo heading north of the guy and told her that he didnt "fit the bill"...she was very thankful. When he disappeared we did too....

chefjason
08-28-2009, 10:33
Speaking of road crossings. There was a guy that "didnt fit the bill" at the road crossing at "elk garden" on our trip a couple weeks ago. He was driving a light blue late 80 early 90 toyota celica packed to the rim with odds and ends, and had michigan plates. He was looking for the road up to whitetop mountain. He asked for directions from me and a older gent that was sitting at the rest area by the road. He then proceeded to look at the map on the trail head sign for a long time. I asked the older gent that was sitting there if he thought that dude was shady....he agreed. I later warned a female solo heading north of the guy and told her that he didnt "fit the bill"...she was very thankful. When he disappeared we did too....

you call a LEO? Better safe than sorry. And, could've been that the guy really did just need help and an officer might havew been able to provide. Just a thought.

traildust
08-28-2009, 10:43
Needless end to two promising lives. Sadness

Jayboflavin04
08-28-2009, 12:12
you call a LEO? Better safe than sorry. And, could've been that the guy really did just need help and an officer might havew been able to provide. Just a thought.

No didn't call a LEO. I had sh$$ for cell service on that stretch....but I did just get that heeby geeby gut feeling from him. He very well could have been site seeing and just needed directions. But as I have read in the past here on WB....go with you gut instict when you encounter these situations.

Rain Man
08-28-2009, 14:47
No didn't call a LEO. I had sh$$ for cell service on that stretch....but I did just get that heeby geeby gut feeling from him. ....

So... did you at least take his photo and one of his car and license plate? Did you go over and chat with him to get a story to share with police later, if your heeby geebies turned out accurate?

Rain:sunMan

modiyooch
08-28-2009, 14:51
rm, in the past, my gut instinct has never told me to go chat with one that I have heeby jeebies .

peanuts
08-28-2009, 17:00
so sad,my condolences to their families.....

GrubbyJohn
08-28-2009, 17:23
leaving in the morning for a 10 hike in that area. hope like hell whoever it is isn't on the trail.

emerald
08-28-2009, 17:50
I had [poor] cell service on that stretch...

Leaving in the morning for a hike in that area.

Anyone know if good cell service is available in that general area and/or who provides the best service available?

For information about reporting an incident, see ATC's Reporting an Incident on the A.T. (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.5129395/k.18A4/Reporting_an_Incident_on_the_AT.htm)

Goridewithme
08-28-2009, 18:33
I am a conceal carry license holder and 75% of the time do carry, not to look tough, not to make a statement but to protect my, my family, and others. It's not the weapon that is the issue, you could kill someone with a popcan with the top torn off but they don't want to out law them. but really, these two people are the issue and their families. the person who did this is the problem and those who think like them. don't hate the weapon, hate the mentallity of stupid little minded people.

Press
08-28-2009, 19:48
I don't think this had anything to do with hiking, and the fact the trail passes through the area could be a coincidence.
http://www2.newsadvance.com/lna/news/local/article/two_teens_killed_in_montgomery_county_from_lynchbu rg/18973/

Alligator
08-28-2009, 19:59
Anyone know if good cell service is available in that general area and/or who provides the best service available?

For information about reporting an incident on the A.T., see ATC's Reporting an Incident on the A.T. (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.5129395/k.18A4/Reporting_an_Incident_on_the_AT.htm)I read a news report that said coverage was poor and that Sprint provided cell phones with better coverage to the officers.

TOW
08-28-2009, 20:04
this is too sad....

Not Sunshine
08-28-2009, 20:20
i'm new to this - what is a leo????

emerald
08-28-2009, 20:22
local enforcement officer

johnnybgood
08-28-2009, 20:30
I read a news report that said coverage was poor and that Sprint provided cell phones with better coverage to the officers.
Are we referring specifically to the SW Virginia AT corridor when praising Sprint coverage or is given high regard through the entire trail ?

Alligator
08-28-2009, 20:46
Are we referring specifically to the SW Virginia AT corridor when praising Sprint coverage or is given high regard through the entire trail ?I really don't know about the corridor other than what was said. I'm not sure even if they may have done something to boost the phones or provided select models? The statement was just a little piece of the story. There are threads on whole trail coverage if you search the site.

jaywalke
08-29-2009, 02:50
I really don't know about the corridor other than what was said. I'm not sure even if they may have done something to boost the phones or provided select models? The statement was just a little piece of the story. There are threads on whole trail coverage if you search the site.

Caldwell is down in the valley, and there is very little signal there from any carrier. On top of the ridge (on the AT) you can occasionally get some kind of Sprint signal. Verizon serves the area but it is even iffier. I use Virgin Mobile, which rides on Sprint, and I never count on service anywhere away from the main roads.

Jayboflavin04
08-29-2009, 10:17
Are we referring specifically to the SW Virginia AT corridor when praising Sprint coverage or is given high regard through the entire trail ?

That is what i am trying to figure. My strange encounter happened at the Elk Garden road crossing. I have Alltel which is now Verizon. I had little or no cell service from the Grayson Higlands to Damascus. For all I know this guy was harmless. He didnt seem intoxicated in any way. Since I am not from that area I didnt even know the law's phone #. Again, I did tell a solo female NOBO that this person was in the area and that he didnt "fit the bill". Her comment was, " Thank you communication is very important on those matters."

More input would be great on what to do in those gut feeling situations that we all read and talk about.

modiyooch
08-29-2009, 12:12
That is what i am trying to figure. My strange encounter happened at the Elk Garden road crossing. I have Alltel which is now Verizon. I had little or no cell service from the Grayson Higlands to Damascus. For all I know this guy was harmless. He didnt seem intoxicated in any way. Since I am not from that area I didnt even know the law's phone #. Again, I did tell a solo female NOBO that this person was in the area and that he didnt "fit the bill". Her comment was, " Thank you communication is very important on those matters."

More input would be great on what to do in those gut feeling situations that we all read and talk about.I think you did just fine. It can go either way.

Two things. 1. Last week I was skeptical about a car at the road crossing . Approached with caution. Ended up being a trail angel bringing much needed water to a dry area when the temps where in the 90s.

2. I truly believe that I had an encounter in the 90s with that Gary dude that had been convicted of AT murder and then attacked the fisherman recently. location and the time frame fits. My son had already approached him at the fishing hole before I had a chance to steer him away. I had very bad vibes. Based on those instincts, I had to push very hard to get as far from him as possible that evening. The next day, a fellow hiker stopped to hike with my son and me because he had run into the same guy, and knew he wasn't legit. He said the guy was preoccupied with us.

Again, I think you your actions were appropriate. Don't start second guessing yourself.

vamelungeon
08-29-2009, 13:58
I understand from the local paper that the young woman lived in Abingdon until just a couple of years ago. Apparently her dad is a helicopter pilot for the Virginia State Police. Of course people tend to praise the deceased in situations like this but the article gave the impression she was an exceptional young lady.
It's a very sad situation and I wish these sorts of things didn't happen so often here in Southwest Virginia. There are lots of great people here and I hope this doesn't cast our local residents in a bad light to outsiders.
Virginia Tech seems to have become a dangerous place in the past few years, with no real explanation other than coincidence.

jcramin
08-31-2009, 12:16

WOW you make us sound like murderers or robbers or something not like the law abiding citizens we are.

kanga
08-31-2009, 14:00
are you big enough to hold a gun? :eek:

Tin Man
08-31-2009, 14:12
are you big enough to hold a gun? :eek:

Perhaps this is the small handgun she was referring to. Although, it might be considered a bazooka to a hobbit. :eek:

http://www.pullmangallery.com/images/157_3_thumb.png

kanga
08-31-2009, 14:20
Perhaps this is the small handgun she was referring to. Although, it might be considered a bazooka to a hobbit. :eek:

http://www.pullmangallery.com/images/157_3_thumb.png

omg! what an adorable little gun!

Alligator
08-31-2009, 14:25
Let's not clutter this one up folks.

kanga
08-31-2009, 14:28
o.k...http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sad030.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org%3Cbr%20/%3E%0A%3Cbr%20/%3E%0A%3Cbr%20/%3E%0A%3Cbr%20/%3E%0A%5BURL=%22http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php%22)

Wise Old Owl
08-31-2009, 14:30
OMG I get it....

Tipi Walter
08-31-2009, 15:31

I agree totally. This is another example of violence associated with the AT and its closeness to a road or parking area. Hiking and cars? Park it, load up your gear, saddle up and get as far away from your car as possible.

I don't think this had anything to do with hiking, and the fact the trail passes through the area could be a coincidence.
http://www2.newsadvance.com/lna/news/local/article/two_teens_killed_in_montgomery_county_from_lynchbu rg/18973/

Yeah, what in Odin's name does this have to do with hiking or the AT?

Virginia Tech: Two students killed in Jefferson National Forest.
A student beheaded in a campus cafe.
32 students killed on campus.

What's going on up there?

CaseyB
08-31-2009, 15:51
Virginia Tech: A student beheaded in a campus cafe.

Not familiar with that one. When was that?

Tipi Walter
08-31-2009, 15:52
It's in the article linked on the first post.

Alligator
09-01-2009, 11:04
There's currently an advisory out from VA Tech and the USFS "to avoid the vicinity of the crime, including areas from the intersection of Craig Creek road and Rt 460 out Craig Creek road to at least the Hall Road in Craig County, and the Poverty Creek area. If you must be in these areas, go with a group and be sure to let someone know where you will be and when you expect to return."

A-Train
09-01-2009, 11:25
I agree totally. This is another example of violence associated with the AT and its closeness to a road or parking area. Hiking and cars? Park it, load up your gear, saddle up and get as far away from your car as possible.

Yeah, what in Odin's name does this have to do with hiking or the AT?

Virginia Tech: Two students killed in Jefferson National Forest.
A student beheaded in a campus cafe.
32 students killed on campus.

Yeah, not only that school, but that area surrounding the AT, when you consider the previous Wapiti area murders its bizarre so much bad has happened in a concentrated area.

ShoelessWanderer
09-01-2009, 11:59
http://www.roanoke.com/news/nrv/breaking/wb/216809

Caldwell Fields in basically straight downhill from the Sarver Hollow shelter.

Yes, but it was actually near the road, not the trail. Please don't link this to the AT. If we looked at all violence that happened within 12 miles of the trail we'd have a lot of "AT violence" issues. It's a crazy guy who find people in an isolated area, near a road, which made them an easy target. Any time you are near a road you are going to come in contact with more crazy people. Most people that are going to commit crimes are trying to find the easiest way to do it, not hike in 12 miles to find an AT hiker.

I spent a LOT of time in that area hiking alone when I was younger (16-18). Have never had a problem.

modiyooch
09-01-2009, 16:07
It's my understanding that the site (parking lot?) was a popular hangout for VT students 12 miles from campus.

Jack Tarlin
09-01-2009, 16:37
Shoeless Wanderer made an excellent post above.

Something like half of America's population lives less a full day's drive from the A.T.

Millions of folks live within a few minutes drive.

Violent crime is not necessarily an urban phenomena, but just because something happens close to a Trail or Park doesn't necessarily mean the area is unsafe. The worst crime in Hanover, NH history took place just a few minutes walk from the A.T., yet it had absolutely nothing to do with the Trail. And something violent happens every weekend on the Dartmouth campus every weekend, and this is mere yards from the A.T. Are these incidents therfore "Trail related"? And should we view Dartmouth College as an inherently violent place for hikers and others because someone gets beat up there regularly, especially on weekends?

No, of course we shouldn't.

Sometimes people read too much into statistics.

Ratchet-SectionHiker
09-02-2009, 07:07
The campsite is definitely a hangout for VT students. With this being the beginning of the semester alot of students are trying to take final trips (camping, dayhiking, etc.) before the grind of classes keeps them locked inside studying. So the hills are full of young students for the next weeks or so. Luckily we have had a cold snap the last few days so maybe there won't be many people out for this looney to prey on.

The local newspapers are not releasing much information other than there is a person of interest in a older model station wagon. A person of interest could just mean they are some sort of witness or passerby just as much as it could mean they are being investigated in commiting the crimes.

There was a memorial service held in Lynchburg, VA near Liberty University this week.

The bad part about this is back towards the main road is Pandapas Pond, a popular place for field trips for young kids and further past that is a gun range where you are allowed to practice and even the Virginia State Police practices there! The range is less than 15 miles from the campsite.

As far as cell phone service, US Cellular is probably the best connection in the area. I have been all over this area ( on and off trail) for the last 7 years using US Cell service and I always have the best in the group.

Jayboflavin04
09-02-2009, 07:57
Who says there is a wacko out there! If this parking lot is that close to campus. The perp could be a jealous X ect....a crime of passion

ShoelessWanderer
09-02-2009, 16:33
Shoeless Wanderer made an excellent post above.

Something like half of America's population lives less a full day's drive from the A.T.

Millions of folks live within a few minutes drive.

Sometimes people read too much into statistics.

Thank you! :) I get extremely upset when people talk about what a violent area Blacksburg/Virginia Tech is. I use to (age 11-18) run around on campus unsupervised all the time (at night) and not once did something remotely-close-to-being-considered-bad ever happen. It's a GREAT area! And it really annoys me that they have to add the whole 32 shot thing to every single news article relating to VT. I'm sure the world is still aware of what happened, no reason to knock us over the head with it!:datz

Hikerhead
09-02-2009, 20:42
Below is an email I received from the Roanoke AT Club. It was addressed to about 100 or more people so I think it would be appropriate to pass it along here. Notice the car that they want to find is an older light color 4 door Crown Victoria or Capri, think police car, with a search light on the drivers side.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of you are now probably aware that last week two Virginia Tech college students were shot and killed at Caldwell Fields, a USFS camping area off of Rt. 621. This site is in the vicinity of the A.T. While there are no implications for the A.T., I have just been briefed by the USFS Eastern Divide Ranger District LEO about investigative activities in the area. I want to share that information with volunteer leaders in the Southwest and Central Virginia Region. Please distribute this information to your club membership as needed.

The incident that occurred last week was a brutal, horrible crime, and local officials are concerned. There is a joint local and federal investigation with Montgomery County Sheriff as lead. USFS, FBI, ATF, State Police, VT police, adjacent counties, several cities, Game Commission – every agency is involved and assisting in the investigation. USFS Law Enforcement Officers (LEO’s) are following up on leads, increasing patrols and surveillance, asking more officers to detail on the District, and are getting up-to-date information on the investigation. Given the fact that the investigation has lots of work yet to do, USFS LEO’s are taking precautions over the next week. They are asking that limited work take place in a few sections of the District, including the Poverty Creek area and the section of the Eastern Divide District between VA Rt. 460 and Rt. 311. The A.T. crosses this area at Rt. 42 and Rt. 621. This request is being made to USFS staff and I am extending that information to A.T. volunteers and ATC and NPS staff. No USFS staff, other than law enforcement, are required to work in this area. Please re-schedule any volunteer work that you may have planned in this area for the next week. The A.T. remains open, and the entire area is under heavy surveillance.

Ways to assist – LEO’s are asking people to be extra vigilant in all actions and locations. Please be looking for an old police car, 4-door sedan like Crown Victoria or Chevy Capris, light color, with spot light on the driver side. This is a car of “interest”. Please report any other unusual or suspicious activity to me and I will share that information directly with Teddy Mullins, LEO on the Eastern Divide District.

This communication is not meant to cause alarm, but is intended to raise awareness about a difficult situation in an area that some of you may be conducting volunteer work. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any additional questions. I expect to have another briefing by USFS staff next Tuesday, September 8. I appreciate your assistance in sharing this communication with volunteers in your clubs who may have plans to be in the area of concern over the next week or so.

Laura

Laura Belleville

Director of Conservation

Appalachian Trail Conservancy

P.O. Box 174

110 Southpark Drive

Blacksburg, VA 24063

Direct line: (540) 953-3564

ATC Office: (540) 953-3571

Ratchet-SectionHiker
09-06-2009, 18:23
Saw on the news at the end of this week that the Virginia State Police and the FBI are getting involved. Also Virginia Tech is offering a $10,000 reward to any information. To me with the FBI getting involved there must be some more to the story that we don't know. They are still keeping alot of the details underwraps. They may be trying to link this crimes to some in other states?

Blissful
09-06-2009, 20:01
Hope they find this person soon. If anyone hears anything, please post.

earlyriser26
09-06-2009, 20:15
Great, my hike got re-routed when RL smith did his dirty work. Was going to stay at sarver hollow on trip coming up. Maybe Maine instead. Roads are dangerous places....

red oak
09-09-2009, 13:42
My wife and I are exprnd back country hikers that I love nature and hiking. Looking to start the AT next spring 2010.

This was a horrible incident though not really related to the AT, may they rest in peace, it got me searching all murders on the AT. I quess about 11 now? All things I didn't know and was much happier not knowing.

It will not keep us from going. I know the statistics. The same stuff they tell you about fliying, but if your plane is the one that goes done stats don't mean *****.
Anyway, yesterday it got me really depressed, sad, disappointed, and maybe a bit scared and paranoid of sleeping in Shelters on the AT. Human is always the worst enemy. I can see myself sleeping in a shelter and wondering if some crazy lune is going to come kill us. All mental, but still. . .

So, I am just seeking some inspiration and positive words from other hikers right now.
Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks

mudhead
09-09-2009, 13:50
So, I am just seeking some inspiration and positive words from other hikers right now.
Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks

I nearly got creamed coming out of Walmart the other day. Warthog with a cell phone glued to the ear, came in the out single lane.

Plenty of scurves in downtown Bangor. I still go to the Friar's for a whoopie pie.

Keep the faith. Best from Maine.

Whiskey Ninja
09-15-2009, 14:36
Thank you! :) I get extremely upset when people talk about what a violent area Blacksburg/Virginia Tech is. I use to (age 11-18) run around on campus unsupervised all the time (at night) and not once did something remotely-close-to-being-considered-bad ever happen. It's a GREAT area! And it really annoys me that they have to add the whole 32 shot thing to every single news article relating to VT. I'm sure the world is still aware of what happened, no reason to knock us over the head with it!:datz
I worked and lived in B Burg for 6 years. I used to gamble on the roof next to the Cellar on fights that regularly broke out at that intersection. Entertainment every Friday and Saturday night. Drink a beer and watch some drunken idiot get beat up. Blacksburg was pretty violent when I was there. A girl was attacked by a Pearisburg man next to Ton 80. Her jaw was broken but luckily fought off being raped. I could write a long list of violence that I witnessed there. Sorry, I've traveled a lot and as much as I love that town, there is a long history of violence. Hang out downtown on Friday or Saturday. I once knocked out some frat boy who ran his mouth while I was walking home from work at 3am, I out ran the rest of his frat. I'm not going to say that was a daily thing but there are a lot of dumb asses running around that town. It's too bad. I still love fishing the river and have a lot of friends that live there that I visit. I think most of them would agree w/ me.

ShoelessWanderer
09-15-2009, 15:49
I worked and lived in B Burg for 6 years. I used to gamble on the roof next to the Cellar on fights that regularly broke out at that intersection. Entertainment every Friday and Saturday night. Drink a beer and watch some drunken idiot get beat up. Blacksburg was pretty violent when I was there. A girl was attacked by a Pearisburg man next to Ton 80. Her jaw was broken but luckily fought off being raped. I could write a long list of violence that I witnessed there. Sorry, I've traveled a lot and as much as I love that town, there is a long history of violence. Hang out downtown on Friday or Saturday. I once knocked out some frat boy who ran his mouth while I was walking home from work at 3am, I out ran the rest of his frat. I'm not going to say that was a daily thing but there are a lot of dumb asses running around that town. It's too bad. I still love fishing the river and have a lot of friends that live there that I visit. I think most of them would agree w/ me.

Yes, but if we're talking about drunks at 3 am, every college town has that problem.

Whiskey Ninja
09-20-2009, 23:12
Yes, but if we're talking about drunks at 3 am, every college town has that problem.
A lot of the violent crime there is not caused by students.

kanga
09-21-2009, 07:41
A lot of the violent crime there is not caused by students.
really? come on down to athens and we'll go sit on a park bench downtown and watched the spoiled little frat boys beat the **** out of each other and throw stuff through retailer windows and then cut each other with glass shards.

Gray Blazer
09-21-2009, 08:08
really? come on down to athens and we'll go sit on a park bench downtown and watched the spoiled little frat boys beat the **** out of each other and throw stuff through retailer windows and then cut each other with glass shards.

No, thanks, I'm trying to quit.

birdog
09-21-2009, 08:56
Sadly, another act of "random" violence strikes our community. Maybe we should all regroup and take a look at how we approach the rearing of our children in this day and age. From an objective standpoint, things are horrible. Violence everywhere and we can't seem to find an answer. Maybe schools should teach some outdoor skills and forego the "video game" classes.

Darwin again
09-21-2009, 09:00
Things are not horrible.
All this instant access to ALL this simultaneous information makes the human animals terrified and paranoid, so they live in fear. Stop being victims of your culture.
Kripes.

How many of you live in houses in which people have died?
Or walked on paths or sat in chairs that dead people have sat in?
AREN'T YOU SCARED OF GHOSTS??
sheesh people.

Blue Jay
09-21-2009, 09:34
Things are not horrible.
All this instant access to ALL this simultaneous information makes the human animals terrified and paranoid, so they live in fear. Stop being victims of your culture.
Kripes.

You got that right Fear Mongering has become a national obsession. My local video store has stopped bringing in anything other than horror movies, because this is all Americans want. Our culture has gone completely insane. This thread and the almost constant bear scares are perfect examples. Things are not only NOT horrible, but just fine. This year I met 17 single female thruhikers, most of small stature, who hitch hiked, who crossed all those roads, and had not a single problem with anyone. I used to say go hide under your bed but it's getting crowded under there.

Darwin again
09-21-2009, 17:15
Oooga-Booga!

virgil
09-21-2009, 20:59
Any news yet on solving the crime? I google the Virginia news once in a while but have seen nothing, no new statements from the local authorities. Anyone........

earlyriser26
09-21-2009, 21:33
Looks like our group will be hiking there in mid-oct. Hope they get the bad guys before then. most likely they are laying low.